Start by marking “Christmas in Winter Hill” as Want to Read:

Christmas in Winter Hill

Krista Galloway is not a fan of Christmas. After her rough childhood in multiple foster homes, the holiday season just brings too many bad memories to the surface. But when she accepts a job as a city manager in the mountain town of Winter Hill, Washington, Christmas is part of the deal. The small town is famous for its Christmasville celebration, something that the city m ...more
Published September 3rd 2019 by Fleming H. Revell Company

Start your review of Christmas in Winter Hill
Mischenko
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, romance
“God allows the rain to fall on the just and unjust. We’ve all had our troubles.”

Krista decided to relocate with her 8-year-old daughter, Emily, to Winter Hill, Washington. She’s taking on a new job as city manager and hoping for a new start. Winter Hill seems like a sweet little town, but Krista soon learns that along with this small town comes a huge annual Christmas festival, and as city manager, she’s going to have to get involved. The issue is that Krista really doesn’t like Christmas. Grow
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I have read everyone of Carlson's Christmas novellas and love them all. Sometimes we just need a feel good Christmas book where everything is perfect and turns out right. I can't for next years Christmas novella. I hope that you will grab a copy of Christmas In Winner Hill and enjoy it as much as I did.
5 Stars and I HIGHLY recommend it!
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Christy
3 stars

Christmas in Winter Hill was a cute, quick, Christmas read. It’s very family centered and light on the romance. The heroine is not a fan of Christmas, but moves to a town that loves it. With the town, along with her daughter, she discovers her love for the holiday. It was a sweet story, but a little short and lacking for me.
Allison Tebo
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
FTC Disclosure: Revell Reads gave me complimentary copies of this book. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts.

I ended up skim-reading this one. I was expecting something fluffy and happy to deliver me a mild shot of holiday sappiness but, sadly, I didn’t get even that.

The dialogue and style is toneless and soulless and the characters so boring and homogenized, that this book failed to produce any feelings whatsoever.

The story is also, unfortunately, pervaded with the
Christy
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure that I've ever read a true Christmas book before (or ever really had any interest in one). However, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this short little book with the beautiful cover. I wasn't much in the mood for Christmas after my mother's recent passing, but this helped me feel better and a little lighter about the holidays this year.

Krista Galloway and her daughter Emily move to a very small town after she begins a job as the new city manager. I do love a good, small town
Jeanne Adamek
Dec 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Anna
Krista Golloway, recently divorced, has accepted a job as city manager of Winter Hill, Washington. Her daughter, Emily, is excited about seeing snow for the first time. What Krista didn't know was that the annual Christmas festival is a big event in Winter Hill. Krista grew up in multiple foster homes, and after too many disappointing Christmas mornings, she is not a fan of Christmas.

Emily loves Winter Hill, but Krista is ruffling the feathers of some of the more prominent citizens. Can the kind
Deanne Patterson
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every year I look forward to the author's new Christmas book.
To be honest it's a great way to start the holiday season off.
A down on their luck Mom and her daughter are new in Winter Hill.
They are looking to make a new start away from old memories . Is Winter Hill the place for this mom to do it while working for City Hall?
You can run but you can't hide, bad memories will still follow you and is the reason for her distrust .
I loved seeing the enthusiasm of the young daughter as she makes friends
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Krista Galloway is not a fan of Christmas. After her rough childhood in multiple foster homes, the holiday season just brings too many bad memories to the surface. But when she accepts a job as a city manager in the mountain town of Winter Hill, Washington, Christmas is part of the deal. The small town is famous for its Christmasville celebration, something that the city manager . . . well, manages.
As she tries to make her tiny new apartment feel like home for her and her eigh
Jypsy
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Revell for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

By: Melody Carlson

*REVIEW* 🎄🎄🎄🎄
I don't usually read holiday fiction in October, so I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book. Christmas in Winter Hill was a pleasant surprise. I totally felt the Christmas spirit. Krista and her daughter, Emily, are looking for a new beginning. Krista is the new city manager, but she's not a big fan of Christmas. This to
Jen. (JenGalaxy4 Christian Book Reviews)
I don’t have cable, so I don’t have that popular movie channel. But, when I did have cable and did have that popular movie channel, this story is exactly the movie I would have enjoyed watching, like, a bajillion times.

Essentially, Christmas in Winter Hill by Melody Carlson is a that popular movie channel Christmas movie in book form. And, I enjoyed every adorable page of it!

I definitely recommend this book! It’s super sweet and super clean. The romance is very light and gentle, making this b
Hallie Szott
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5

Fall may have just started, but I’m excited about new Christmas books. Every year, I can count on a sweet holiday story from Melody Carlson, and this year’s Christmas in Winter Hill is exactly that.

A new job brings Krista Galloway and her daughter to Winter Hill, Washington just in time for its beloved Christmas celebration. A celebration that it is now Krista’s job to coordinate. Even though she hates Christmas. Is it possible that this Christmas-loving small town can charm her into the holi
Maureen Timerman
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A quick read that draws you in, and then you don’t want to let go.
I loved Emily, the author gives us such a sweet little girl, and she loves her Mom. Then we have Anna a teenager and how welcoming she is of an eight-year-old, and how she goes about helping her.
We are given a little bit of sweet romance, crime, new beginnings, and all things Christmas, and all wrapped up in a page-turning read.
Only problem I had was I wanted more!
I received this book through the Revell Readers Program, and was no
Shirley Chapel
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jane Blankenship
Recommended to Shirley by: Reviewers on goodreads
It's tradition for this reader to read Melody Carlson's new Christmas release each year. In my opinion Christmas in Winter Hill is her best Christmas Novel ever! I felt it deserved more than five Stars. I sympathized with Krista in the situations she had been put in as she tried to do her job as city manager. She had to make some decisions that quite frankly were not appreciated by the citizens and leaders of the small community.
Krista was a single mother living in Arizona. Wanting to get ahead
Kav
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
First off -- love this cover! It's definitely beckoning me to settle in and spend some time in Winter Hill! Picture postcard perfect, especially since this is a town that does Christmas in a very big way. It's idyllic, really...unless you aren't a big fan of all the seasonal hohohoing. And Krista isn't. She's not a Scrooge though, just a wounded soul who has a stockpile of rotten Christmas pasts in her arsenal which tends to colour her present day holiday experiences. But she tries valiantly to ...more
Dawn
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Christmas stories & Hallmark movies.
Recommended to Dawn by: I enjoy reading this author.
Another quick read & lovely Christmas story from Melody Carlson. Who doesn't want to read a feel good Christmas story filled with romance and where problems always get resolved quickly? They are the perfect stories for the season & Melody Carlson is the author to provide them. I really enjoyed most of the characters and the setting of Winter Hill reminded me of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania (The Christmas City), where I was born. A great book to put me in the Christmas spirit!
Melanie
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Christmas In Winter Hill is a delightful Christmas read and one I highly recommend you add to your holiday reading this year. I loved how it wasn't 100% fluff, but was still a light read.

The characters were nice. I liked how Krista grew throughout the story and had so many layers. I felt bad for her and the things she went through in her childhood which caused her to dislike Christmas. I LOVED her daughter - she was so cute! Her joy for everything Christmas and winter was wonderful! I didn't lov
Amanda Tero
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
If you want a typical Christmas Hallmark in book form, here you have it. A big change for Krista and her daughter, a woman who hates Christmas and is thrown into it, a man she meets instantly, and small town drama that flares into a climax with accusations and questions. I could totally see this as a Hallmark movie.

Personally, I felt the story was a bit rushed and sometimes a little stiff. It’s possible that I could have looked over that, but it greatly lessened my enjoyment that Krista was a di
Malia Saldaña
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I want to spend Christmas in Winter Hill,WA. The town sounds so dreamy and wonderful during Christmas. I liked how this story had a light romance,and it was focused more on Krista and her daughter,Emily. I liked Krista and how she learned to love Christmas. I loved Emily. She was such a sweatheart. Anna and her dad,Connor, we’re both so kind. I thought Pauline was awesome too. I absolutely adored the Christmas House. I want one of my own! Melody Carlson never disappoints with her Christmas books ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I never miss one of Melody Carlson's Christmas tales. They are so good and hopeful. This time around a single mother and her eight year old daughter move from Phoenix to Washington state where the mom has a new job. It's nearing Christmas time and this town goes all out! Much to the mom's dismay. She has never had a good experience at Christmas time. Never. But what happens will bless you and restore her faith in Christmas again. Don't miss this wonderful little story.

*My thanks to Revell Publis
Cathy
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This definitely needs to be a Hallmark Christmas movie. I can see it all play out in my mind, especially the ending!
Lori
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Krista Galloway and daughter Emily move to the town of Winter Hill so Krista can begin work as the new city manager. Winter Hill hosts an annual festival called Christmasville. Krista whose Christmas eve birthday always bumped up against the Christmas holiday spent her childhood in foster homes. Her unfavorable memories associated with the holiday created a strong aversion to Christmas. She still tries to put up a tree and make it a good day for her daughter but Emily knows her mom does not lik ...more
Carole Jarvis
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/339L7Qx

A trademark of Melody Carlson’s prolific writing is her yearly Christmas novella and Christmas in Winter Hill is a welcome addition. This is my first Christmas-themed read of the fall and I enjoyed it very much. The small town of Winter Hill, Washington is the perfect backdrop for this uplifting story of family and community. There’s a Hallmark feel to this story and I can easily see it in the future lineup of Christmas movies. That’s not a c
Jen
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can never go wrong with a Melody Carlson book! I so enjoyed this Christmas story. I have read all of her Christmas books and this is one of my favorites.
Imagine living in a place that turns into a Christmas town every year to celebrate the holidays! As I was reading, I kept thinking I want to visit this place. Our main character is having some difficulties getting into the spirit of the season due to some personal troubles. Then she moves to a town that turns into Christmas with a daughter
Cheryl
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Krista is not a fan of Christmas, which is also her birthday. She accepts a job in Winter hill and spends time trying to get used to the cold after living in AZ. Her daughter is thrilled with a town that celebrate Christmas for a month. One of Krista’s first job is telling the town they can’t use some empty spaces for the Christmas town because of lead paint, then she thinks the city auditor, also the town Scrooge, is stealing from the city. When her daughter wins a house she is sure they can’t ...more
Lou Allen
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet and cosy Christmas romance. The plot could easily be made into a Christmas movie.

I enjoyed the characters. They did have some depth to them despite the book being so short.

There are some conflicts throughout the book but nothing too dramatic.

This is the sort of quick read you could pick up over Christmas and feel good without too much stress.
Kailey
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a very enjoyable, quick read. It was very reminiscent of a Hallmark movie. It moved at a decent pace and had a sweet ending. I really enjoyed it!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Chelsey Connor
This book was a lovely Christmas book to read. Loved seeing the way Krista protected her daughter, it was so sweet. This book had a beautiful ending.
Angela (Kentuckybooklover) Brocato-Skaggs
A sweet quick Christmas read filled with hope, warmth, and love. The perfect book to sit by a warm fire with a cup of peppermint cocoa and lose yourself in the joys of Winter Hill.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, Revell, through NetGalley. Any and all opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own.
Diane
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
If you’re a huge fan of sweet and predictable Hallmark type movies/stories then you’re going to love this book because it’s so steeped in all things Christmas you’re guaranteed a mouth full of cavities after the happily ever after.This book is well written for maximum holiday cheer but the author fails to provide an emotional connection to the characters, the storyline isn’t in the least bit original and the climax of the story was sadly lacking and totally predictable. I really do love Christma ...more

• The Christmas Table (Christmas Hope, #10)
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • Noel Street
  • Light from Distant Stars
  • Hearts in Harmony
  • The Pink Bonnet (True Colors)
  • Andrew (The Petersheim Brothers #1)
  • Let It Snow
  • A Promise to Break (The Promise #1)
  • A Christmas Haven: An Amish Christmas Romance
  • The Horse of My Dreams: True Stories of the Horses We Love
  • Hereafter (The Lost Princesses, #3)
  • Unbound (The Ties that Bind #2)
  • Storm Rising (Book of the Wars, #1)
  • King's Shadow: A Novel of King Herod's Court
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angel (Mrs. Jeffries #38)
  • All Manner of Things
  • Forged Through Fire: A Reconstructive Surgeon's Story of Survival, Faith, and Healing
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi

Articles featuring this book

The holidays and heartwarming love stories...well, they just go hand in hand. And when it comes to playing up the most...