Start by marking “Finding Balance (Brave Enough, #2)” as Want to Read:
Finding Balance (Brave Enough, #2)

Finding Balance

(Brave Enough #2)

Jase Ellison doesn’t remember having Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia when he was three years old. His cancer diagnosis only enters his mind twice a year. Once at his yearly checkup at the oncology clinic and when he attends Camp Chemo in the summer. No one in his “real” life knows about his past, especially his friends at Atlanta West Prep.

Mari Manos has never been able to
Expected publication: May 5th 2020 by Flux

To ask other readers questions about Finding Balance, please sign up.
Kati Gardner It can totally be a stand alone. Nothing that happens in Brave Enough is part of the plot (really) in Finding Balance.…moreIt can totally be a stand alone. Nothing that happens in Brave Enough is part of the plot (really) in Finding Balance. (less)

Start your review of Finding Balance (Brave Enough, #2)
Kris (frantic4romantic)
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book having never heard of the author or reading any of her work. It always makes me wary as a reader to step out of my comfort zone to read something I’m not familiar with. I’m a reader who invests myself into what I read, so I usually don’t take it lightly.

I’m so glad I took that leap and trusted my gut on this book.

I’ve never read a story like Finding Balance and I think it was a big reason I liked it so much. This was real life fiction where we see real life struggles.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of FINDING BALANCE by Kati Gardner in exchange for my honest review.***

3.5 STARS

Nobody at school knows Jason had cancer when he was three. Cancer took one of Mari’s legs so she can’t hide that she’s a survivor. Friends and maybe more from Camp Chemo now attend the same school and Jason has everything to lose if his peers find out.

Kati Gardner is a cancer survivor who lost her leg and it shows with how much she gets right about
Maria
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, various, young
Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review
Super-realistic when dealing with such serious matters, yet touching and emotional in so many ways! “Finding Balance”, by Kati Gardner (Flux), could be hard to read, but there’s so much hope in these characters, particularly in brave Mari. The leads’ personal and unique stories are more interesting and genuine than the romantic relationship, which is sweet but has some dimensions I didn’t like (Jason’s nastiness towards Mari, Mari’s
Carly
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I went into this book with high hopes. I liked the sound of the plot and the look of the cover. It looked as though it would be about healing, acceptance and recovery. This story follows Mari and Jase who both have had cancer at different parts of their life’s. Jase is able to live normally without anyone aware but Mari has lost her leg, making it more noticeable.

There’s a part at the start of this novel that made me laugh and connect to one of the MC’s - Mari. I thought Mari was quite chill
Kate Larkindale
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
There was a lot to like about this book. It deals with two different experiences of being a cancer survivor which is not something I've seen in a book before.

Mari can't hide the fact she's had cancer. It took one of her legs and because of the nature of her amputation, a prosthetic leg isn't comfortable or the best option for her. She's used to people looking at her as she navigates the world on her pink crutches, and even deals with the odd fall now and then with humor and grace.

Jase had
Nicole
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free ARC copy of this book on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

This. Book. Was amazing. I can't say I know what it's like to be a cancer survivor, but I'm the sister of an ulcerative colitis warrior and the daughter of a thyroid cancer survivor, and cancer in various ways has affected my family and friends. I, myself have ADHD. I know what it's like to want to prove people wrong and to do things just because someone says you can't. Mari wears her cancer diagnosis on her
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for sending this my way. All opinions expressed are my own.

Finding Balance by Kati Gardner is an upcoming YA contemporary novel set for publication in May 2020. It follows two teens - Mari and Jace - as they reunite after summer camp for young people with cancer and the struggles they face dealing with their condition(s) and learning to embrace themselves.

I was so excited to hear that this was a sequel to Brave Enough. I read that book last year and
Florencia
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
~~I have received the ARC thanks to NetGalley in exchange for my honest review~~

This is my first ARC copy I have received, and it was a book I have read that was going to come out this year and I wanted to read it, so I was excited.

While reading the book midway through it I was thinking how detailed the description of the amputation and the knowledge about how she manages in her life. So I checked to see the background of the author and discovered she herself is an amputee and cancer survivor I
E.J. Hill
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really sweet and at the same time heartbreaking and empowering story. Although it is fiction, it still felt real because these are real-life struggles. I am sure the author used many of her personal experiences to inform the story and that gave it a rich depth.
Mari was a champion of a character. Despite the fact that people continued to degrade her for her physical appearance, she kept her pride and continued to soldier on. In the book, she keeps saying how she’s not some sort of
Rona Nimmo
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amy Dufera
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Wow, Finding Balance has a lot going on throughout.
I found the writing of her amputation to be handled with understanding, care, and compassion.
I personally learned a lot too, as I know nothing about that type of amputation.
The author excels in the descriptions of how it effects everyday life.
As for the relationship, wow. This is a tough one.
I wanted to kick Jace's ass a lot of times, but I also understand where he was coming from.
Jace and Mari are both complex characters and their
Jas
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-release
I was so happy when I received an eARC of this book, because it sounded very promising. And it did not disappoint! Though I had some issues with Jase, there was so much good about this book that I can overlook it.

I really liked how it dealt with cancer. It was very realistic without it being a downer and controlling the whole story. Besides cancer, Jase and Mari are just two teenagers with a complicated relationship and Im all for it.

Full review coming soon on my blog.

Michelle
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cancer
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

Thank you to Flux for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is a sequel book, but each one is a standalone story. You can easily read this one without having read the first. That being said, I can't say I'd recommend reading this one and it all is due to one reason: Jace.
Melissa See
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a disabled person, I am hungry for #ownvoices disability rep. Both as a reader and as a writer. There aren’t words adequate enough to express my gratitude to Kati for doing this. I am so incredibly proud of her.
Laura ( Latteandbooks )
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Full RTC
Rose
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wait, before you close out of this tab, you need to know that this isn't your typical cancer story. It is so much more. It is a story of overcoming your past. It is a story of choosing how to see life. It is a story I won't forget.
The characters were fantastic. Their thoughts and emotions were expressed so clearly and I felt like I knew them in real life.
One thing that I loved seeing was the Bible verses subtly woven throughout.
My only complaint about this book is the language. It could have
Nathalie
It is an incredible book. Each page is filled with raw emotions. My stomach was in knots the whole time I was reading it. The novel makes a reader feel everything as if it all was happening with him/her.
Finding Balance shows us how the main characters deal not only with cancer but also with stupidity, ugliness, hardheartedness and ignorance of real world.
Moreover, it is a very beautiful love story. Not easy, not predictable, without any cliché manwhore-billionaires and damsels in distress.
In
Vivi (they/them)
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
*I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion

Finding Balance follows Mari and Jason. They have both had cancer at different times in their life. Jason is able to live a normal life but Mari cannot. Because of her cancer she was forced to get a leg amputation. This leads to her being judged and picked on.

Overall, Mari was a pretty good character. I enjoyed her sense of humor and ability to make the best of bad situations.

The main reason I disliked Finding Balance was

• She's With Me
  • The Flatshare
  • Permanent Record
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Every Reason We Shouldn't (Every Reason We Shouldn't, #1)
  • Sick Kids in Love
  • Dear Edward
  • As Kismet Would Have It (Dimple and Rishi, #1.5)
  • The imPerfect Guy
  • Enemies
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Drum Roll, Please
  • My Best Friend’s Royal Wedding
  • Just Ten Seconds
  • Don't Read the Comments
Kati is a recovering actor who has spent the last few years keeping tiny humans alive. In high school she was determined to play a doctor on General Hospital and possibly add in a love story with Jonathan Jackson. She would spend hours toiling away on FanFiction for my AOL community and dreaming of the day she would accept a Daytime Emmy Award. In college she majored in Theater arts and spent lots ...more

Brave Enough (2 books)
  • Brave Enough (Brave Enough, #1)