Start by marking “Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection” as Want to Read:
Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection

Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection

(Harvey House Brides)

Bestselling novelist Tracie Peterson joins Karen Witemeyer, Regina Jennings, and Jen Turano in this collection of four novellas, each featuring a Harvey Girl heroine. From Kansas to Texas, the Grand Canyon to New Mexico, the stories cross the country with tales of sweet romance and entertaining history.

In Karen Witemeyer's "More Than a Pretty Face," a young woman works her
Published November 5th 2019 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Serving Up Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serving Up Love

Start your review of Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
Y'ALL.
Every one of my dreams has come true with this novella collection! LOOK. AT. THIS. LINEUP.
😍😍😍

And they brought it with this collection. Each story was so good. I loved them so much.

***

A Flood of Love (Tracie Peterson)

"Returning home to New Mexico for the first time in years to fill in at the Harvey House, Gretchen Gottsacker is sure the past is behind her. But nothing can be that simple. When the man she loved long ago steps back into her life--with a daughter, no less--will
Kav
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collaboration from four dynamic historical fiction authors. The only link between each novella is the Harvey Girl theme and I was surprised to discover that they existed well into the 1900s. (I always thought it was a pre 1900s fad.) Loved all the interesting details about what life was like for a Harvey Girl! Each author brings her own unique spin to her story - from second chance love to intrigue and danger!

A Flood of Love by Tracie Peterson -- 1929, San Marcial, New Mexico. A second
Brittany
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great collection of historical novellas! I thoroughly enjoyed each one, finding them all to be very well-written. I feel like I have learned so much about Harvey Houses and the Harvey Girls who served in them.

I truly enjoyed that each of these novellas felt very complete, with full stories that allowed me to connect with the characters and the situations that they were going through. The love stories were each unique and fit the style of the individual authors, yet had the continuing
MJSH
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great collection of historical novellas written by some of my absolute favorite authors in the genre! And I learned quite a bit about the Harvey Houses and the women working there who made the restaurants notable. All four novellas are masterfully crafted and have beautifully developed characters and plots that make them feel like full-length novels. If you enjoy historical novellas, you will be delighted with this collection.

The author Tracie Peterson will fascinate you with historical
Gretchen
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Each novella was very enjoyable. Loved the Harvey girl theme... I really wish the Karen Witemeyer story was a full length novel though.💗
Rebecca
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5stars
" I know you mentioned you've sworn off gentleman forever, but Mr. Tall, Dark, and - need I say - Delicious is here again . . . "

And just like that, all the vestiges of a broken engagement and subsequent pity disappear, as Mrytle Schermerhorn heads over to her section of the El Tovar Hotel restaurant to take Mr. Daggert's order. His usual formality seems in jeopardy with his younger brother in tow, for Mrytle discovers that the handsome businessman has been talking more about her, than
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm not a big novella fan because the stories are rarely well-developed enough to be interesting, but the Harvey Girl premise drew me in. My opinions of the novellas, in order:
Tracie Peterson's: simple, not very interesting, 2 stars
Karen Witemeyer's: best of the bunch, 4 stars
Regina Jennings's: appreciated the mystery to add a little interest, 3.5 stars
Jen Turano: struck me as melodramatic and overdone: 2.5 stars

If you want some short, fluffy romance reading with a bit of historical setting,
Kelly Goshorn
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I tend to be a bit hard on novellas. Often times, the plots are too grand and the author is left to tie up all the loose ends too quickly for my satisfaction. Happily, that is not the case for Serving Up Love which earns five stars across the board. Each novella was filled with just the right amount of captivating characters and swoon-worthy heroes mixed with a dash of adventure to leave this historical romance junkies heart satiated.

As a big history lovin nerd girl, I was tickled pink to learn
Trixi
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this novella collection, we meet four women from different walks of life who become Harvey House girls. This is a time in history that is especially fascinating to me because it's a turning point for women to pursue a career other than marriage and motherhood. I love the true story of how Fred Harvey opened up Harvey Houses all around the country, therefore providing opportunities for these women to find independence & sustain themselves financially. When I had a chance to read & ...more
Gracie
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: launchers
This was such a fun collection of interesting novellas (in a historical setting I wasn't super familiar with)!

I believe my favorite of the collection was Intrigue A La Mode from Regina Jennings, but each of these sweet stories was unique in their own way and made for some enjoyable reading time.

I laughed my way through Jen Turano's "Grand Encounters," had so much fun reuniting with Rosalind (from More Than Words Can Say) in "More Than a Pretty Face" from Karen Witemeyer, swooned over "Intrigue A
Melissa
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reads-2019
A Flood Of Love
I loved this sweet story of lost loves reunited. Katiann was a perfect addition to the story as a precocious little girl wanting a mama. The flood made for an exciting element and the ending was perfect. Great paced novella.

More Than A Pretty Face
I had been looking forward to Rosalinds story since meeting her character in Karens More Than Words Can Say from earlier this summer. This story was a perfect happy ending for Rosalind. Caleb was such a strong hero and just what I would
Anne
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Serving Up Love is a lively collection of stories that showcases each authors ability with well-crafted words to transport the reader to another time and place, experiencing a small bit of life as a Harvey Girl.

Each novella is entertaining and informative. I learned some interesting things about Harvey Girls and felt the allure of going west to start a new life in an unknown town.

I highly recommend this collection to fans of historical fiction. Laced with humor, faith and grace, Serving Up
Grace Hitchcock
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved Harvey Girl stories and this novella collection is a wonderful addition with its witty tone and entertaining storylines from Tracie Peterson, Karen Witemeyer, Regina Jennings and Jen Turano.

With these fast paced novellas, you will get a taste of Harvey Girl history while enjoying sweet romances with a side of mystery in Jennings Intrigue a la Mode and humor in Turanos A Grand Encounter.
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
Full review at: https://joyofreadingweb.wordpress.com...

I loved this super fun collection of stories! The heroines were filled with just the right amount of spunk and sass, all while having the strong moral character required to work as a Harvey Girl. Each story brought it own unique flair. Somehow I had missed the Judy Garland classic movie The Harvey Girls, and reading this fun collection of stories has made me want to find a copy to watch. Cant get enough of the Harvey Girls! Although I have
Jen. (JenGalaxy4 Christian Book Reviews)
I always enjoy novella collections and this one is a great addition to my keeper shelf!

The stories included in this collection are:

A Flood of Love by Tracie Peterson
This was the first time Id read anything by Tracie Peterson and Im so glad I did! I was impressed by her rich, historical details. A Flood of Love features an adorably precocious kid, lots of action and a lovely second-chance romance! I felt this story was a bit rushed, especially in the middle, but I was happy with the sweet
Erin
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This novella collection features young women who worked at various Harvey Houses across the country, giving readers the chance to see glimpses of history in several different locations. The job of a Harvey Girl was not one I was especially familiar with, so I learned a lot as I read the different stories.

A Flood of Love by Tracie Peterson: Gretchen's work as Harvey House girl brings her back to her New Mexico hometown, where she comes face to face with the man who broke her heart almost a decade
Lynda Edwards
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Since seeing the Judy Garland musical, I have been intrigued by the Harvey Girls. So, when a collection featuring Harvey House stories by some of my favorite authors became available, it was a given that Id need to read it as soon as I could!

A Flood of Love by Tracie Peterson

I enjoyed this story. While I havent read many books written by Tracie Peterson, after this novella, Im thinking I may need to remedy that. I liked the characters and how multiple facets of history intersected in this one
Paula Shreckhise
Serving up Love a Four-in-one Harvey House Brides Collection has stories by four of my favorite historical romantic comedy authors.

A FLOOD OF LOVE by Tracie Peterson. Ms. Peterson always delights with her settings and characters. This story is set in San Marcial, New Mexico and is based on a real flood that happened in 1929. Gretchen and Dirk end up back in San Marcial ten years after parting. Dirk now has a precocious 9 year old daughter, Katiann, who is hard on nannies and is praying for a
Andrea
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!
Four of my favorite authors. Four Harvey Girls. Four unique heroes. Four Happily Ever Afters.
Five Stars!!!!!
If you are reading this, you have probably figured out that I loved this book.
~Tracie Peterson gives us a story of a love lost long ago. A second chance. And a sweet little girl that asks God for a Mama. I loved it when Katiann says. "I'm sorry Daddy. I try to obey. But you never said I couldn't climb out on the roof."
~In Karen Witemeyer's story, Rosalind is
Lori
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved loved this wonderful collection of stories about the Harvey Girls!!
When I seen this I knew I had to jump at the chance to read this book!! All of my favorite authors are in here!!
Each story has a charm all its own and there's a little something in here for everyone!
This book is a can't put down book until you've read all the stories!!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I highly recommend this. It's too hard to just read one story at a time! Believe me I tried!
I enjoyed learning about
Leah
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Flood of Love: 4 stars
This story takes place in New Mexico in 1929. The story focuses on a second chance romance and involves a flood. I liked this couple.
More Than a Pretty Face: 2 stars
This story takes place in Texas in 1902. This story is about a bad decision and a new start. The romance wasn't what I wanted it to be. I didn't like these characters.
Intrigue a la Mode: 3 stars
This story takes place in Kansas in 1898. This story has a mystery and a romance. I preferred the mystery to the
Courtney | Soul of a Librarian
Fans of clean historical romances will adore this collection of novellas from some of the best authors of the genre.

Peterson's A Flood of Love is packed with action and emotion, even as a brief novella. Readers are sure to enjoy Gretchen and Dirks story as they navigate a complicated past.

In Witemeyer's "More Than a Pretty Face", Rosalind and Caleb discover if love is powerful enough to bring freedom from the past.

Intrigue a la Mode was one of my favorites as it followed Willow and Graham
Kristine Morgan
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Four wonderful stories by four master storytellers! I loved these stories about 4 women of various backgrounds who decide to make a new life for themselves by working as Harvey Girls. Each story was interesting and full of fascinating details of long-ago days. I loved learning about the Harvey House restaurant chain and the detail that kept them running on time. So grab a pot of coffee and a plate of cakes, then settle in for a satisfying read!

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher
Susan Snodgrass
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this is a very sweet collection of novellas featuring Harvey Girls, young women who were very real and lived and worked in a time in our nation's history. Each novella features a young woman who has gone west to serve as Harvey Girl in a time when not many women worked outside their home. Populated with some mighty fine authors, this collection is sure to keep you entertained for many hours. Recommended.
Karen Martin
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet group of novellas! This collection is filled with amazing authors, and each has written an adorable little romance. I really enjoyed learning about the Harvey House girls throughout the decades, and especially how each had its own setting. This is a great group of stories, the romances are cute, the characters fun, and of course the shorter story-lines make for nice afternoon reads, and a series I highly recommend.
Sara Cardon
I adored 3 of the stories in this collection! (I tried Jen Turano's and was reminded why her stories don't resonate with me.) Karen Witemeyer and Regina Jennings told my favorites. The details of train station Harvey House restaurants made interesting settings.
Esther
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expect that 4-in-1 books will have one good story, two ok stories, and one meh story. This one was an exception. ALL four of them were good!

I quite enjoyed the brain candy break of these four fast reads. They are perfect for a relaxing Sunday afternoon or any evening. I recommend this book.

I follow the GoodReads rating system. Please note that this means even the 3-star books are ones I liked.
1 star didnt like it
Shelves: 2020
Karen Witemeyer and Jen Turano... Always a pleasure 😍
Jennifer K
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful novella collection was very enjoyable. I didnt know anything about the Harvey Girls and I appreciated how each novella gave a little more history and insight into Harvey Houses. These details added to a fuller picture of the life of a Harvey Girl and added depth to the novellas. The four authors did a superb job of creating engaging characters and gripping story lines within the short form of a novella. These enjoyable stories contained romance, humor, struggles and lessons of ...more
Grace
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was unfamiliar with Harvey Houses before this book, so it was fun reading these novellas featuring different ones along the railroad.
A Flood of Love got off to a slow start for me. Tracie Petersons writing style doesnt always click with me, which was the case at the beginning. But as the story progressed, I was able to get into it more and enjoyed this quick read.
I loved getting to see what happened to Rosalind in Karen Witemeyers novella. After reading about her sister in More Than Words Can
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Major's Daughter (Fort Reno, #3)
  • An Old-Fashioned Texas Christmas: 2-in-1 Holiday Novella Collection
  • A Pursuit of Home (Haven Manor, #3)
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Royally Yours
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • Christmas at Whitefriars
  • Grand Encounters (Harvey House Brides)
  • Foremost (The Lost Princesses, #2)
  • Hereafter (The Lost Princesses, #3)
  • More Than a Pretty Face (Patchwork Family #2.5)
  • The Bridge to Belle Island
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • Protecting Tanner Hollow (Tanner Hollow, #1-4)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison

Harvey House Brides (4 books)
  • Grand Encounters (Harvey House Brides)
  • A Flood of Love (Harvey House Brides)
  • More Than a Pretty Face (Patchwork Family #2.5)
  • Intrigue a la Mode (Harvey House Brides)

News & Interviews

“Graham turned to face her. "Never be afraid to talk to me.” 0 likes
“Ignoring the boy following them, Graham said, "I hope your trip home was pleasant, even if it was alone."
"You shouldn't have gotten me a private car. That was excessive."
"I was hoping to make up for my absence. Did it?"
Her cheeks warmed as she ducked her head. "No. I still would've rather had you."
"Oh, love, that's the nicest thing--" He pecked a kiss on her cheek so quickly, she couldn't quite believe it had happened.”
0 likes