Start by marking “Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection” as Want to Read:
Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection

Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection

(Patchwork Family #2.5)

Bestselling novelist Tracie Peterson joins Karen Witemeyer, Regina Jennings, and Jen Turano in this collection of four novellas, each featuring a Harvey Girl heroine. From Kansas to Texas, the Grand Canyon to New Mexico, the stories cross the country with tales of sweet romance and entertaining history.

In Karen Witemeyer's "More Than a Pretty Face," a young wom
Published November 5th 2019 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Serving Up Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serving Up Love

Start your review of Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection
Kai
Shelves: 2019-read
Serving Up Love is a collection of tales of adventure and love as the Harvey Girls are able to explore the country as well as discover more about themselves.

A Flood of Love by Tracie Peterson

A Flood of Love was packed with historical details. I love that this was based on true stories and events.

Timing seems to be everything for Gretchen and Dirk. They have only ever loved each other but have been pulled apart. If only communication in those days had been easier.

Katiann is adorable. She seemed to know everything about everyone and is so curiothemselves.
A
Blessed & Bookish
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Serving Up Love is a collection of four novellas about women who worked in the Harvey Houses that served customers and workers of the railroads out west. Each of the novellas is a stand-alone story and set in a different location and in different years.
For this historical fiction superfan, this series of novellas was perfection. I can honestly say I couldn’t pick a favorite. Each story was entirely different: some having danger, others mystery and plenty of romance!
In Tracie Peterson’s, A Floo
Lifeofliterature
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Flood of Love by Tracie Peterson – Neatly written, this novella brings forth a lovely story from start to finish. I liked that the characters were friends in the past, because it made the quicker progression of their relationship more realistic. The addition of a spunky young girl is a great secondary character. I enjoyed learning more about the tiny town of San Marcial, New Mexico as well. Overall, I liked this story!

More Than a Pretty Face by Karen Witemeyer – How is it possible
Brandi
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Flood of Love – Tracie Peterson
A Flood of Love is a sweet tale of misunderstandings and second chances.
Although it took me a little while to become invested in Gretchen and Dirk's story, I did find myself enjoying this novella. Spunky Katiann definitely stole the show and it was interesting to learn about the swimming horses. The climax wasn't quite as... climactic as I prefer, the ending not as romantic, but all-in-all it was a good read.
3 stars.

More Than a Prett
Kelly Bridgewater
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
"A Flood of Love" by Tracie Peterson

A sweet romance sprinkled with a hint of the realities of the Harvey Girls. Peterson uses a little girl to capture readers and Gretchen's heart from the encounter in the beginning of the novella. My favorite character was the little girl. The romance sprung up from the past and flirted across time into the beginning of the story. The plot was short and sweet. Definitely a little too fast for my taste. Not enough depth to the plot. Peterson does a f
Trixi
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this novella collection, we meet four women from different walks of life who become Harvey House girls. This is a time in history that is especially fascinating to me because it's a turning point for women to pursue a career other than marriage and motherhood. I love the true story of how Fred Harvey opened up Harvey Houses all around the country, therefore providing opportunities for these women to find independence & sustain themselves financially. When I had a chance to read & revi ...more
Paula Shreckhise
Serving up Love a Four-in-one Harvey House Brides Collection has stories by four of my favorite historical romantic comedy authors.

A FLOOD OF LOVE by Tracie Peterson. Ms. Peterson always delights with her settings and characters. This story is set in San Marcial, New Mexico and is based on a real flood that happened in 1929. Gretchen and Dirk end up back in San Marcial ten years after parting. Dirk now has a precocious 9 year old daughter, Katiann, who is hard on nannies and is prayi
Grace Hood
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you or someone you know in need of a good book? Let the Harvey Girls in "Serving Up Love" be of service! Four books in one is an awesome deal. However, when the authors are Tracie Peterson, Karen Witemeyer, Regina Jennings, and Jen Turano, you know you’ve been handed a huge gift on a silver platter. I found myself smiling and laughing out loud so many times. I found myself instantly attached to the nine-year-old Katiann in Tracie Peterson’s "A Flood of Love". Her instant friendship with Gret ...more
Valri Western
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just when I think I know pretty much all about American History, I read a book about the Harvey Girls and realize there is SO much more to learn about our great country! This book has four novellas about 4 women who were Harvey Girls working in Harvey Houses in the American West based on the real Harvey Houses (essentially restaurants) that populated the country at a time when train travel was the "thing"! It offered women a chance to gain independence and see our great country. Harvey Girls wer ...more
BlueJeansAndTeacups
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Serving Up Love – Four (unrelated) Harvey House Brides Novellas
5 Star Book – Trains, Harvey House Restaurants, Mystery, Ciphers, Shenanigans & Romance. Something for everyone!

A Flood of Love, Novella by Tracie Peterson •*•Great Ending •*•
[OPENING] August, 1929
Gretchen Gottsacker stepped from the train and looked around at the tiny town of San Marcial, New Mexico. (5 stars)

More Than A Pretty Face, a Patchwork Family Novella by Karen Witemeyer •*• Book 1.5 I loved It! •*•
[OPENING]/>/>
Andrea
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!
Four of my favorite authors. Four Harvey Girls. Four unique heroes. Four Happily Ever Afters.
Five Stars!!!!!
If you are reading this, you have probably figured out that I loved this book.
~Tracie Peterson gives us a story of a love lost long ago. A second chance. And a sweet little girl that asks God for a Mama. I loved it when Katiann says. "I'm sorry Daddy. I try to obey. But you never said I couldn't climb out on the roof."
~In Karen Witemeyer's story, Rosalind i
Sasha Owen
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Flood of Love: I liked that fact that we were pretty much jumping into a love story that sort of already took place. Only a huge wrench got thrown in and messed everything up. When Gretchen gets transferred to a Harvey House in her home town she has sever mixed emotions. She has happy memories there as well as some devastating ones. The she meets this rambunctious little girl who has connections to the man who went and trampled all over her heart. Wrongs get washed away in this lovely read.
Mo
Paula
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Serving Up Love! Four very fun stories from my favorite authors! Each story is about a Harvey Girl who meets her "Prince Charming" and works through difficulties to get to their "happily ever afters"! The first one by Tracie Peterson is called "A Flood of Love" and it's about a girl that returns to her home town to serve at the Harvey House only to find out that the man that broke her heart ten years ago has also returned. Excellent story! The second story is by Kare ...more
Chloe Flanagan
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Each Harvey House is an efficient and reliable hospitality machine. The machine’s well-oiled gears are its staff members, in particular the Harvey Girls. But behind the precise professionalism, the girls are full of hopes and fears just like everyone else. The four historical romances in Serving up Love tell the charming stories of four Harvey Girls as they overcome challenges, find love, and discover God’s hand at work in their lives.

Peterson’s “A Flood of Love” expertly immerses a
Cathy Cermele
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Serving Up Love is a an excellent collection of four historical novellas by four amazing authors who happen to be some of my favorites so when I first saw this book, I was absolutely giddy with delight and that is not an exaggeration!

Tracie Peterson set her novella in 1929 New Mexico where I fell in love with the precious and precocious Katiann. This little charmer will steal you heart along with the rest of the characters in this story.

Karen Witemeyer takes us to 1902 Te
MJSH
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great collection of historical novellas written by some of my absolute favorite authors in the genre! And I learned quite a bit about the Harvey Houses and the women working there who made the restaurants notable. All four novellas are masterfully crafted and have beautifully developed characters and plots that make them feel like full-length novels. If you enjoy historical novellas, you will be delighted with this collection.

The author Tracie Peterson will fascinate you with historical
Courtney LaShea
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fans of clean historical romances will adore this collection of novellas from some of the best authors of the genre.

Peterson's “A Flood of Love” is packed with action and emotion, even as a brief novella. Readers are sure to enjoy Gretchen and Dirk’s story as they navigate a complicated past.

In Witemeyer's "More Than a Pretty Face", Rosalind and Caleb discover if love is powerful enough to bring freedom from the past.

“Intrigue a la Mode” was one of my favorites as it followed Willow and Graha
Jennifer K
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful novella collection was very enjoyable. I didn’t know anything about the Harvey Girls and I appreciated how each novella gave a little more history and insight into Harvey Houses. These details added to a fuller picture of the life of a Harvey Girl and added depth to the novellas. The four authors did a superb job of creating engaging characters and gripping story lines within the short form of a novella. These enjoyable stories contained romance, humor, struggles and lessons of fa ...more
Brittany
What a great collection of historical novellas! I thoroughly enjoyed each one, finding them all to be very well-written. I feel like I have learned so much about Harvey Houses and the Harvey Girls who served in them.

I truly enjoyed that each of these novellas felt very complete, with full stories that allowed me to connect with the characters and the situations that they were going through. The love stories were each unique and fit the style of the individual authors, yet had the con
Deborah Andreasen
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow - this book! I had never heard of a Harvey Girl before, but after reading this book I have never wanted to be one so badly! :) I love the idea of a group of independent young women who work hard to uphold the reputation of their group. Man, they're awesome.

I love the settings of these stories. The railways, the tight schedules, the, ahem, clientele. Each of these stories is so unique, yet I knew what I was going to get with each one. They were all so good! And I loved each happily ever afte
Leah
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Flood of Love: 4 stars
This story takes place in New Mexico in 1929. The story focuses on a second chance romance and involves a flood. I liked this couple.
More Than a Pretty Face: 2 stars
This story takes place in Texas in 1902. This story is about a bad decision and a new start. The romance wasn't what I wanted it to be. I didn't like these characters.
Intrigue a la Mode: 3 stars
This story takes place in Kansas in 1898. This story has a mystery and a romance. I preferred the mystery to the roman/>More
Liz Austin
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection consists of four stories from four great authors. The perfect book to cozy up with on a cold November day. As a member of Karen Witemeyer's launch team, I obviously dug into her contribution, More Than A Pretty Face, first.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Rosalind's story and getting to see how she, with the help of Caleb and other friends, confronts her past head on. This is a beautiful story of redemption and unconditional love. A must
Adrienne
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun collection! I'd never heard of the Harvey Houses before, but I thought it was such a clever way to unify the collection. It was really neat seeing each of the Harvey girls in the collection find love, and each story was unique and really added something to the collection. There is a second chance at love (A Flood of Love), a story of redemption (More Than a Pretty Face), a mystery (Intrigue a la Mode), and a humorous story that will leave you chuckling as you think about "f ...more
Kimberly Bowie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this collection of novellas! Each story is a complete story that allows the reader to come to know the characters intimately and personally. There are no cliffhanger endings and each story leaves the reader with a happy ending. Not only were these stories enjoyable, I learned about a piece of history of which I previously knew nothing. With impeccable writing, I was intrigued and decided to look further into history to learn a little more about the Harvey Girls and found it so ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this is a very sweet collection of novellas featuring Harvey Girls, young women who were very real and lived and worked in a time in our nation's history. Each novella features a young woman who has gone west to serve as Harvey Girl in a time when not many women worked outside their home. Populated with some mighty fine authors, this collection is sure to keep you entertained for many hours. Recommended.
Andrea
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun collection of stories centered around the Harvey House. It's fun to read quick stories and get a feel for more authors similar to one you may like already. I hadn't read any by Tracie, Regina, or Jen previous to this book, though I had heard of all of them.

It was a fun theme through the book. Definitely centered around love (a given by the title). I loved the continuation of Rose's story from Karen.

If you like novella stories or these authors, this is a good read!
Dianne Sidebottom
All the authors who wrote a novella on Harvey Girls are my usual authors I read, so no hardship to read these stories especially Jen who has a peculiar sense of humour. There is an image that comes to mind when seeing the cover and what being an Harvey Girl conveyed. The railroad being an avenue of transporting people across miles and places and feeding hungry people is what Harvey Houses did. Good read into past history.
Lorrie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Serving Up Love is a collection of four novellas by Tracie Peterson, Karen Witemeyer, Regina Jennings and Jen Turano. I really enjoyed all of them. I have read most of all of both Karen and Regina's books and have loved all of them. However, this was the first time reading anything by Tracie or Jen. I plan to read more books by these two ladies and have a feeling I have found two more authors that will become favorites.
Marie LaPres
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved all of these novellas! I got a chance to read them early and was not disappointed! I especially loved “Intrigue a la Mode’. The humor and intrigue kept me laughing and turning the page, and the two main characters were perfect for each other. The fact that trains played a main role in each of the novellas was also great!
R.j.
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, but some more than others

I enjoyed this collection but I did like some more than others. My absolute favorite was Ms Witemeyer’s book. It helped that I had read another book with this character in it, so it felt like visiting a friend. But the others were good, just not my favorite!

• An Old-Fashioned Texas Christmas: 2-in-1 Holiday Novella Collection
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)
  • Hereafter (The Lost Princesses, #3)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Miss Adeline's Match
  • Like a Winter Snow (Port Willis)
  • Christmas at Whitefriars
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Foremost (The Lost Princesses, #2)
  • More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)
  • Yours Truly, Thomas
  • Goodwill for the Gentleman (Belles of Christmas, #2)
  • Raccoon Racketeer (Pet Whisperer P.I. #7)
  • Marni's Measure (Brides of Pelican Rapids Book 4)
  • An Agent for Phoebe (The Pinkerton Matchmaker #46)
  • An Uncertain Future
  • An Agent for Meg (The Pinkerton Matchmaker #45)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison

Patchwork Family (2 books)
  • More Than Meets the Eye (Patchwork Family, #1)
  • More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)