Start by marking “Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)

Black Spire

(Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge #2)

Walk the ancient streets, meet the colorful characters, and uncover the secret history of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the upcoming expansion to the Disney Parks experience!

After devastating losses at the hands of the First Order, General Leia Organa has dispatched her agents across the galaxy in search of allies, sanctuary, and firepower—and her top spy, Vi Moradi, may have
Published August 27th 2019 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Black Spire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Spire

Start your review of Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
Khurram
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me this was a ok to good book I would have put at 3.5 stars. It was the second half of the book that pushed it over the line to good for me.

This book starts during the time of Force Awakens in the introduction, then fast forward 4 months after the Last Jedi. I actually will not be surprised if the ending of this book led to something in Raise of Skywalker. Actually I will be quite disappointed if it does not.

This is a return of sort of the characters from Phasma. Three of the main characters
Neil R. Coulter
Another run-of-the-mill, generic Star Wars story. The first part reads mostly like a commercial for the Disney theme park, and everything feels very safe and non-threatening—which I figured makes sense, because they don't want kids to read this and be terrified to enter Disneyworld. But then later in the book there's a lengthy torture scene that is quite cruel and horrifying. The tonal shifts in this novel are strange. Overall, this story felt very similar to the Ahsoka novel.

For me, the charact
Robert
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Space Tourists
Shelves: guerre-stellari
You know what? Instead of harrumphing self-importantly about Disney's commodification of our collective childhood dreams, etc., I'm going to review the actual kriffing book.

Delilah Dawson was handed the unenviable task of writing a novel that is one part spy-thriller, one part galactic travelogue to the planet Batuu and, more specifically, the hardscrabble settlement of Black Spire Outpost (or BSO, as the locals call it.) And you what? She did a great job, particularly as she was able to parley
Jim C
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Actual rating is 2.5 stars.

This is a book that takes place right after The Last Jedi and contains characters from the book Phasma. The Resistance has been decimated and they need a new base. Leia sends two of her people to a remote planet to see if it has potential.

Going into this book I knew that it was a tie-in with the Disney amusement park and this was to promote that park. One could easily see that promotion right away as we basically have a tour guide show us various places. Once this tour
Jaime
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delilah Dawson KNOWS Star Wars. Her writing GETS IT. I loved the pacing of this book, the characters, the multiple stories - definitely one of the best SW books I’ve read in a long time.
Unseen Library
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Black Spire from Penguin Random House Australia to review.

Rating of 4.25.

Black Spire is an interesting addition to this later year complement of Star Wars novels, and it is one that I have been looking forward to for a while. Dawson previously contributed to the Star Wars extended universe with 2017’s Phasma, and Black Spire is also part of the Galaxy’s Edge mini-series, which is connected with the Disneyland theme park area of the same name. As such, there are some intrigui
Ben Brown
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars-canon
One thing you have to give Disney credit for: they are masters at commoditizing every piece of IP they own to within an inch of its life. The debut of the “Galaxy’s Edge” theme park this past summer has seen not just one, but two tie-in pieces of literature: the comic “Galaxy’s Edge,” by Ethan Sacks, and now the novel “Black Spire Outpost,” written by Delilah S. Dawson. Both are set at Black Spire Outpost on the planet of Batuu – the setting of the theme park – and both serve dual functions, tel ...more
Lata
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vi Moradi is amazing. Despite all the physical and mental hurt she took on her last mission (in Phasma), General Organa entrusts her spy (codename Magpie) with a dangerous and difficult mission on a far-off planet, Batuu, at the galaxy’s edge. Because Leia needs Moradi’s experience and many talents to establish a new base for the Resistance on a distant and seemingly useless planet, far from the eyes of the First Order.
Knowing how difficult this will be for Moradi, Leia sends Archex, formerly kn
Jeff Heimbuch
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Despite living close to Disneyland, I haven’t been to Galaxy’s Edge yet. But this...this made me more excited than ever to check it out. Dawson fleshed our this world and made it real. Made the characters living, breathing things. Made the story part of something you can live.
This was a fantastic follow up to PHASMA, and a great piece of the Galaxy’s Edge canon. Till the Spire!
Chris Kelly
Not the worst Star Wars novel but not the best either. Parts of it read like an advertisement for the Galaxy's Edge theme park (which I guess is more or less the purpose of the novel), and it was often immersion-breaking at these parts. I'd be interested to read more about Vi Moradi and her espionage exploits, but keep out the obvious advertising next time, please!
Chris Wermeskerch
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
William Schaller
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dawson did an excellent job tying a poignant spy story to the introduction of a new land/theme park. At first I was worried this was going to be an extended rip off of a Diagon Alley story set in the Star Wars universe, but the likable characters, vivid descriptions, and fast paced missions were entertaining—properly matching the feels and styles of a galaxy far, far away.
Danny
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Review originally posted: https://roguepodron.com/2019/08/27/book-review-my-complicated-relationship-with-galaxys-edge-black-spire/

Book Review: My Complicated Relationship with Galaxy’s Edge: Black Spire

Part 1: Why I Didn’t Hate The Idea of Galaxy’s Edge: Black Spire

In this essay (which is actually just the next four paragraphs) I will explain why I wasn’t immediately a hater of the concept of Galaxy’s Edge tie-in literature.

Star Wars lit, by its very nature is tie-in literature. Primarily, the
Stephanie
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Listened on audiobook.

You don’t need to complete a suicide mission to have value

You don’t NEED to complete a suicide mission to have value

YOU DONT NEED TO COMPLETE A SUICIDE MISSION TO HAVE VALUE
Mario
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made as a direct sequel to the "Phasma" novel, we find ourselves in post-TLJ territory, when spy Vi Moradi receives a mission from General Leia to establish a Resistance outpost in Batuu, the same planet used for the Disney parks (Galaxy's Edge).

Not entirely recovered from the ordeal she suffered at the hands of the First Order, she must accept the mission with few resources and the company of a talkative labor droid... until she finds that her torturer himself will be his only companion, Captai
Alyson Grauer
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delilah S. Dawson has brought us a delicious narrative set in and around the Black Spire Outpost featuring the epic Resistance spy, Vi Moradi. Visitors of Galaxy’s Edge at WDW or Disneyland will enjoy reading this before they dock on Batuu... or after, and savor the little details and nods to sights, sounds, tastes, and people of the Spire. Vi Moradi is a kriffing hero and I would die for her. I hope we get at least one more Vi adventure — joining Phasma and Black Spire in a trilogy would be ama ...more
Andi
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-kindle
Do you remember the movie Mac n Me? Let me refresh your memory, aka Wikipedia:

"the film flopped at the box office and was universally panned by critics for the film's imitations of numerous concepts from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) and elaborate product placement for McDonald's and Coca-Cola"

Or, perhaps, The Wizard, aka Wikipedia:

"The Wizard is famous for its extensive product placement of video games for the Nintendo Entertainment System"

Both were flops at the Box-Office because they cate
Neil
This was an odd book to read, and, to be honest, I did not read the dust jacket so I did not realize it was a tie-in to part of Disney's theme park(s). Which I am glad is the case, 'cuz I think that might have ruined it for me a bit. It took me a moment, but after I recognized two of the characters from Phasma, I considered it more of a sequel to that story from that point on. It did take me a while to read, but that was primarily because I was reading it during downtime at my job. I hope that i ...more
DiscoSpacePanther
I was about halfway through this story when The Rise of Skywalker was released in cinemas and, after watching the movie for the first time, I was sorely tempted to abandon reading the novel there and then because I am just about ready to jettison the entirety of the post-Endor Disney “canon” Star Wars as nothing but a horrid mess. But then I realised I was probably being unfair, and I should judge this story on its own merit rather than let it be tainted by its stablemates. So here goes...

Star W
Griffin Hansen
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Black Spire is a fun deep-space team up that feels unique and interesting while somehow keeping the charm of the Star Wars universe we all know.

Who doesn't love a good team-up book? Black Spire by Delilah Dawson (Phasma, Kill the Farm Boy, Wicked As They Come) follows the Resistance spy Vi Moradi as she assembles a base on Batuu from nothing but her crashed ship, a melancholy droid named Pook, and Archex, the ex-trooper who tortured Vi.

The book starts slow as we're introduced to Vi and her small
George Taylor
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the Phasma book. And the other Galaxy’s Edge title.

I was not a fan of Galaxy’s Edge at Walt Disney World. A friend told me to read the books, and I was mad. Why should I have to read a book to understand and relate to a theme park land? It should flow easily.

About 25% into the book and I realized how much fun it was and that I was learning a lot about the denizens of Black Spire Outpost. I got some insight into the citizens and the shops. Or made the experience of visiting Gal
kelly {BookCrushin}
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I want more!!! Black Spire takes place after TFA and before TLJ, and is a tie in to the Disney themepark Galaxy's Edge. I really did enjoy the characters and the set up and the story. I really hope we get more from these characters.
Christy
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-rewind
Ugh I loved it and now I can’t wait to go back to Galaxy’s Edge. Please tell me we get more.
Matthew Sciarrino
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have been to or plan to go to Disney’s Galaxy’s Edge then this book is truly a must read. It is the backdrop, and setting for the land known as Black Spires Outpost on the planet Batuu. It leads into the ride that will be the Rise of the Resistance. You learn the back story of Vi, a character at the BSO. You learn about the locations, the people and stores and even the food at BSO.

If you aren’t going to Disney, then this is still a great story of the Rise of the Resistance and is a prequ
Lisa
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review can be found in full on the Coffee With Kenobi website: https://www.coffeewithkenobi.com/book... ...more
Julie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahh yes, this is my life now... crying at Star Wars.

I really loved this book, though. So happy to get back to Vi and Cardinal, and I liked a lot of the new additions, too. I may flesh out this review later, but I just want to say that Delilah Dawson is excellent at writing Star Wars and making characters I'm willing to cry over.
Ryan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Turns out, this book was actually two for the price of one. It’s the first, and certainly the last, DSD book that I will ever read.
I was willing to accept a book that shamelessly promoted a Disney theme park attraction (obviously, or else I wouldn’t have bothered) but the story is tedious and full of cliches and unfortunately the same can be said for the characters, save one.
Subplots go nowhere, plot holes galore, characters and locations come and go (a problem of the theme park tie-in, admitted
OwlBeReading
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
I came to this one not realising it was the second in a series but read it anyway, seeing that it apparently stands alone and wanting to test that. I would agree. It hints enough at what has passed so you know what the characters have been through (and why they are how they are) but doesn't leave you confused. If anything, it piques your interest enough making you want to hunt out the events on the Absolution (which I just might once I've caught up on my review pile), so overall that's a plus fr ...more
Cale
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Star Wars.
Delilah Dawson has nailed the mix that makes a good Star Wars story- interesting characters who are the focus of the story, but who drive an interesting plot; plucky heroes who are over-matched but still hold onto hope; a variety of alien species that aren't treated like aliens; fast-paced action and thrilling moments. Dawson includes it all here, with one of my new favorite characters (Vi Moradi, a fact probably enhanced by seeing 'her' live at the Galaxy's Edge Rise of the Re

• A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Force Collector (Star Wars)
  • Spark of the Resistance  (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #3)
  • Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
  • Star Wars Myths & Fables
  • Shadow Fall (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #2)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
  • Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
  • The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
  • Doctor Aphra (Star Wars)
  • Poe Dameron: Free Fall
  • Chaos Rising (Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy, #1)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Allegiance
  • Star Wars: Pirate's Price (Flight of the Falcon, #2)
Delilah S. Dawson is the New York Times-bestselling author of Star Wars: Phasma, Black Spire: Galaxy's Edge, and The Perfect Weapon. With Kevin Hearne, she writes the Tales of Pell. As Lila Bowen, she writes the Shadow series, beginning with Wake of Vultures. Her other books include the Blud series, the Hit series, and Servants of the Storm.

She's written comics in the worlds of Marvel Action: Spid

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (2 books)
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)