Start by marking “Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom” as Want to Read:
Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom

Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom

(Nancy Drew)

Nancy Drew is seventeen and good at everything... ESPECIALLY solving crimes. But her totally-in-control-and-obviously-running-perfectly-smooth-(but-not-really) life hits a snag when a mysterious message drags her back to the hometown she left behind. There she'll have to find out which of her friends are still her friends, which are enemies, and who exactly is trying to ki ...more
Published April 2nd 2019 by Dynamite Entertainment

Start your review of Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom
Julie
Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom by Kelly Thompson and Jenn St. Onge (Illustrator) is a 2019 Dynamite entertainment publication.

This is not your grandmother’s Nancy Drew!

This graphic novel gives our favorite teenage detective a long overdue makeover of sorts. I’m not sure if one would categorize it as an updated version of the classic or if it might qualify as a reboot.

Either way, these teenagers might stun fans of the traditional version. Young Adult readers, however, will probably love it.
David Schaafsma
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
When I was young, living in a house with sisters, there were all these "girl" books about the house that I also read, some of which had been handed down from someone in the family from the previous generation: Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, mysteries for children/tweens/ya. There were romances, too. And I just devoured them all, reading for escape, not edification.

There have been other efforts to resuscitate Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, of course, in books/tv/films, but this is a solid
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I've never been the biggest Nancy Drew fan, but I remembered the characters well enough that my favorite thing about this graphic novel was seeing them re-imagined as modern, fun teens. (HIGH key loving the fact that my fave from my childhood, George, grew up to be a queer punk girl?!) The plot was okay—a little underwhelming, maybe, and certainly predictable—but the characters were fun and the art was lovely, so I feel pretty comfortable giving this 4 stars. I assume this creator is going to ma ...more
Faith M ✨
UPDATE: Buddy read this with my brother and it's still top notch 👌

Time to be honest: this was the very first Nancy Drew anything I've ever read. Same for the Hardy Boys. I even had some of their books on my shelf growing up. I just didn't really care enough or thought they would be boring since they weren't about fairies or sharks (I had eclectic interests, okay).

So forgive for being surprised, but this reimagined graphic novel was kinda amazing?? And it's making me want to read actual Nancy Dre
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Nancy Drew is back and reimagined as a modern teenaged sleuth.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not a Nancy Drew fan. My mother handed me the first three books in the series with a "I loved these, you love them too" (no, not you'll—this explains much about my very complicated relationship with her) and I hated them. I felt that 95% of the time was Nancy matching her pumps to her purse and explaining that George was a girl, and that the other 5% was her bumbling about into mysteries and then g
Jes Reads
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I actually really loved this. I haven't read anything involving Nancy Drew growing up, so I was pleasantly surprised by this comic. I think the art was stunning and the characters enjoyable. I thought the mystery was fun as well!
Lost in Book Land
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welcome Back,

Before I even start to talk about plot with this one I have to say I have always been a huge Nancy Drew fan since I was a tiny child. I used to read the Nancy Drew books (I would get them from the library constantly, and whenever I saw one in a thrift shop it was mine), I played the video games (which my library also had but I have several still on PC today, thank you Steam), watched the newer movie when it came out (even got a copy as a birthday gift one year), and now I highly ant
Xueting
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A solid graphic novel adaptation of Nancy Drew! I liked that the characters and setting are updated to be more diverse: there are characters of colour, queer characters, and a plus-sized character. There are also a few pop culture references sprinkled. The plot is just okay, the mystery is a bit more violent than the old Nancy Drew - just a head's up. I liked the art!
Danika at The Lesbrary
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun! I really liked this cast of characters, and of course especially grumpy George and her girlfriend Danica! Shout out too to Bess being fat and a romantic lead. I will admit that I was never a Nancy Drew fan as a kid, so I don't have any prior connection to these characters, but I really liked this. It's definitely slightly more adult than the originals (including drugs and murder), but there's still a lightness and humour in the band of friends working together to solve a mystery. I'll defin ...more
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
"We have so much history...those ties go deep and aren't easily cut."
Friends, this was such an enjoyable read! I've been suffering from the worst reading slump for the past couple of months and just wanted to read and finish something. I grew up reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy books, and I figured that there is probably no better cure for a slump that a dose of nostalgia -- and how right I was!

One of the things I loved most about reading Nancy Drew was how strong, smart, and capabl
Sanna G.
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: rc-read, 2019
Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom is quick, thrilling and fun to read. We get to follow teenage detective Nancy Drew as she and her friends solves mysteries in her old hometown.

I have never read any Nancy Drew books and at first I didn't understand that this was one either. I'm from Sweden and here Nancy Drew is called Kitty so I guess it was quite understandable that I didn't get it at first. But once I figured it out the story itself became more captivating and interesting.

My mother was
Glen Farrelly
Nancy Drew (and the Hardy Boys) are back in graphic novel form! It was only about a decade that Nancy was gone as she had a running series with Papercutz until about 2010 (see Nancy Drew Vampire Slayer. Nancy is now with Dynamite and is much edgier than any other version Nancy Drew. My wife is a lifelong Nancy fan, so I've seen the movies, the shows, and am familiar with the books.

This is not the first attempt to modernize Nancy, but it's the first time that her stories have much more adult th
Paula  Phillips
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
One of my favorite teen detectives is Nancy Drew and with the upcoming TV series coming, I have been on a Nancy Drew kick. So when I saw this graphic novel at work, I knew I had to read it. Nancy Drew and the Palace of Wisdom starts off with Nancy Drew in her new school and hanging with her new friends and then she arrives home and finds a letter regarding her mother's death and threatening her. The letter is postmarked Bayport - her old hometown where she moved away three years ago when her mot ...more
Michelle
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read a handful of Nancy Drew books as a kid, but nothing about them stuck with me (probably because they were ridiculously bland), so I didn't have any expectations going into this. I did like Kelly Thompson was writing it though - she's helmed some of my favourite comics I've read in recent years. Luckily, this title didn't disappoint!

After receiving a threatening letter in the mail, Nancy Drew finds herself heading back to her hometown to re-investigate the area where her mother suffered a f
El
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you so much to Diamond Book Distributors for giving me a free copy of this book!

Recently I’ve discovered my love for graphic novels & although I love reading them in physical form, unless I can get them from the library, ebooks are the way to go!
Unfortunately the quality of the images weren’t so good but I still really enjoyed this book :)

It was a nostalgic trip with a basic whodunnit & great characters (Bess & Joe were the cutest!). Slightly aged up a bit (as contains drugs) but really en
Kirsty
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
We've had the woke millennial rework of Riverdale and Sabrina the Teenage Witch – now it's time for Nancy Drew! I enjoyed this. The artwork looks good, the characters are distinctive, and the story is interesting. Also props for having the queer female characters look 'hot to queer woman' rather than 'hot to straight guys'. I'll be reading the next one.
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

So pretty much the only experience I've had with either Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys [who are in every issue of this as well, despite not being mentioned in the title] was another reboot comic I read a little over a year ago called The Big Lie [from the same company I think, although I'm not sure if they're supposed to be connected or not]. That being said, I really enjoyed this but I'm not sure how die-hard fans of the originals will feel about
Katelyn Callahan
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A fresh take on Nancy Drew, though nothing extraordinary. I appreciate the addition of some diversity, since that has historically been lacking in River Heights. (Something that is actually worked into the story...) You won't find Ned Nickerson here, though you will find the Hardy boys. And honestly, I'm just a little bitter that they did not work a Frank/Nancy romance into the story since we've been shipping these two for how long....?!
Etienne
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m not a Nancy Drew fan. I never read one of those classic books and maybe someone who knows the characters would have a better opinion of it all. But for me, this wasn’t really good. The story isn’t so bad but the characters really get on my nerves. I never was able to like any of them, don’t really know why, but this was very irritating while reading. Maybe it’s my fault...
Christy
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A modern take on a classic!
vanessa
3.5. Fun mystery, fun characters, I love Nancy Drew even though she’s infallible.
Bee
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Kelly Thompson has brought new life to this well-loved character with her quick, witty graphic novel. I was an occasional mystery lover growing up and though I was never an avid fan, I fondly recall the Nancy Drew books I took from my elementary school library. I enjoyed the reintroduction to familiar characters (including The Hardy Boys!) and how Thompson portrays them in their late teen years.

The story begins with the midst of her hi-jinks, finishing up a mystery involving the disappearance of
Kate Buechler
All I ask from a Nancy Drew reboot is a legit plus sized Bess and a queer George and this book had both.
rachel ☾
a solid attempt to freshen up and modernise nancy drew

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

Representation: Bess (mc) is plus-sized; George (mc) is sapphic; Pete (li) is Black & Mexican.

◯ Review
Anna
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Artwork was A+++ and I enjoyed the story enough that I'll continue on with the series. I liked that it was Nancy Drew AND the Hardy Boys, with the focus on Nancy. Honestly though, even for it being the beginning of the series it was generic. Overall, I'm not sure if this is better for people with no knowledge of Nancy Drew or people who are already familiar with the characters. I'd say if you're interested, give it a try. Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for the review copy, all opinions ...more
Mandy
The art was really really good, but I really didn't feel Nancy Drew that much. I loved the added diversity that we don't see in the original, but Nancy herself didn't feel like Nancy. She really only focused on herself, and continuously did things that would have made me ditch her as a friend. I was really bored through a lot of it, and it was just super eh. But that art was so good, though.
Derryn
A fun female lead GN with a pretty predictable mystery. ❤️

The art style was beautiful and I love the gothic Nancy drew
Panda Incognito
Don't let the Nancy Drew name fool you. This is NOT a children's book. It is targeted towards YA audiences, and it contains cursing, multiple scenes of same-sex or opposite-sex couples making out, and a drug-related mystery. The library where I work cataloged this book as a juvenile graphic novel, so I raised the alert, and we're going to get it in the proper section. For that reason, I'm glad that I read this, but I didn't like anything about the book.

Nothing about this story gripped me, and i
Manon the Malicious
*4.25 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have never read the Nancy Drew novels, however this was my second ND graphic novel though to be honest, I don't really remember the other one.
In this book, Nancy is 17 and doesn't live in the same city she used to, where she lived with her mother before her death.
But she goes back when she receives an anonymous letter and reconnects with all her friends.
Then a lot of things happen, including cadavres, explosions,
April
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading Nancy Drew, so I was very curious and anxious to delve into this graphic novel. It did not disappoint! The storyline and plot was very engrossing and enjoyable and the illustrations absolutely gorgeous. I loved that the Hardy Boys were also brought in, which leant another intriguing layer to the story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: The Big Lie
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Mooncakes
  • Black Canary: Ignite
  • The Oracle Code
  • Ghosted in L.A., Vol. 1
  • Jackalope Springs Eternal (Lumberjanes, Vol. 12)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 10  (Giant Days, #10)
  • Shadow of the Batgirl
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2
  • Giant Days, Vol. 11 (Giant Days, #11)
  • Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale
  • Batman: Nightwalker
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)
  • Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • Hotel Dare
  • Kiss Number 8
KELLY THOMPSON has a degree in Sequential Art from The Savannah College of Art & Design. Her love of comics and superheroes have compelled her since she first discovered them as a teenager. Currently living in Portland, Oregon with her boyfriend and the two brilliant cats that run their lives, you can find Kelly all over the Internet where she is generally well liked, except where she's detested.

K

Nancy Drew (5 books)
  • Nancy Drew #1
  • Nancy Drew #2
  • Nancy Drew #3
  • Nancy Drew #4
  • Nancy Drew #5

Articles featuring this book

Ah, graphic novels—the delightful medium where visual art merges with the written word to create unforgettable stories! This year's titles are...