Start by marking “Wilderness” as Want to Read:
Wilderness

Wilderness

Grainnes mother had disappeared years ago when her parents divorced. Now, shes reappeared and wants to meet. To avoid a prickly reunion, Grainnes stepmother Sandra and her two boys go on holiday in snowy Finland. When Sandras sled disappears, the boys must take impossible risks to save her life.
Published September 6th 2018 by Scholastic (first published 2007)

Start your review of Wilderness
Megan
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great book but I have only given it 4 stars because when it goes back to what is happening at the home it is a bit confusing about where they are. They could have been in wilderness or at home. It is a bit confusing when it is just a title 'THE DOOR or THE AIRPORT '.
Alfonso Medina
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about two boys named Tom and Johnny that go on vacation with their mom Sandra. While the dad and his daughter stay home. It takes place in Dublin and in Finland for the two groups of people.The major conflict in the book is that the daughters real mom is coming to visit her. Its a conflict because she doesn't know if she wants to meet her.The story behind the book is the boys trying to find their mom after she was lost and got injured in the wilderness of Finland.
I chose to read
Alessandra
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johnny Griffin was nearly twelve and his brother, Tom, was ten. They lived in Dublin, with their parents and their sister. They were two ordinary boys. And they were being very ordinary the day their mother made the announcement.

They were in the kitchen, doing their homework. It was raining outside, and the rain was hammering on the flat roof of the kitchen. So they didnt hear their mothers key in the front door and they didnt hear her walking up the hall. Suddenly, she was there.

I picked up
Zachary
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very good love it is quite characteristic and funny
Lacie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a bit sad because Jouhny and tom lost there mum in a swirling snowstorm would you find it sad?
Neo Eknigk
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris Aylott
It's been years since I've read a Roddy Doyle novel, but he's still a master of catching the voices of his characters. He's got a good ear for the tics of Finnish-English too, which adds a lot of charm to the action-adventure half of this YA novel.

The story is slight: two Irish boys get in over their their heads on a husky safari in Lapland, while their half-sister has an awkward first meeting with the mother who abandoned her as a toddler. Both plots unfold more or less the way you would
Alena
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There was not a single thing I liked about this book. The family drama was too much (calling the teenage daughter a terrorist????), the dialogue made me cringe (this may have been the translator's fault, but the children didn't sound like real children), the plot was unrealistic and too fast-paced, and we were supposed to believe that the family drama stops as soon as someone gets hurt?
As a child of divorced parents I was offended and hurt by this book.
Lauren White
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was fantastic. Written in a simple way, telling us how the characters thought and felt. Really appreciated the way the story switched from one set of action to the next and the way they complemented each other. The only thing I thought could have been improved was the ending, I expected an improved interaction between them.
Chario
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really enjoy it. It was alright but I think the fact I had to read it in school at a slower pace than my normal reading speed and then indulge in it threw me off the bridge on this one.

~Rock
Tilly_2009
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
It was quite confusing and it was also very boring. This book had two stories in it so I think it should have been part one and twowas very adventurous and had a big story about dad's birthday but then I crazy I would recommend this book to you about 712 or something like that because I think parents will get very bored about it so that is it
Abby
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book a little boring considering what a good author he is and how well renowned he is in the industry.
Keeley
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really adventurous as the two brothers tried to find their mum in the wilderness
Philip Hancock
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doggy

Great book yeet yeet yeet yeet yeet yeet yeet yeet yeet yeet yeyytfjfjff gif gives gif g f f f
Engel Dreizehn
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good on the nature-survival imagery but wish it went on for longer.
Marlene Willinger
3.5 ⭐s

I really liked this book. It had its lengths but all in all it was a very enjoyable read
Ellie-may carberry
Mareike
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2,5 stars. It was okay for a childrens book, but it got kinda boring and was not what I had expected.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Grandma Bev for TeensReadToo.com

Ten-year-old Tom Griffin and his older brother, twelve-year-old Johnny, live in Dublin, Ireland, with their parents and a teenaged half-sister, Grainne. Grainne has not seen or heard from her mother since she was a baby, and now her mother is coming from America for a visit. Grainne is nervous about the visit. Will seeing her mother heal the hurt of being abandoned by this woman?

The boys' mother, Sandra, decides to take the boys somewhere else during
Ian Wood
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can't get hold of a different one.
Shelves: roddy-doyle
Roddy Doyle is one of my favourite authors, after being thrilled by the Barrytown Trilogy Ive followed his writing through Paddy Clarke, Paula Spencer and the Last Roundup books. I thought writing a memoir of his parents was a little indulgent but I still enjoyed reading it. His Meanwhile Adventure kids book I thought a scream but even so Wilderness didnt make me rush to the library on its publication date. From the blurb Id seen it would appear Roddy had written a book for teenagers with school ...more
Vicky
Wilderness tells the intertwining stories of members of a blended family living in Dublin, and weaves together their experiences of growing-up. Doyle captures the voices of the characters perfectly, and brings the stories together with great skill, balancing the tension and emotions throughout.

Brothers Tom and Johnny are taken on a wilderness holiday by their mother, to take part in a dog-sled expedition through Finnish Lapland. I've been there myself to do a dog-sled trip, and thought that the
Amy
Mar 19, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10-14
Recommended to Amy by: Teacher
I read this book at school, and if I didn't I probably never would have found it as I don't usually read this type of book. I found it to be quite predictable, especially the ending.

The book was written in an interesting way. It has one chapter set in Finland, which is one story, and the next set in Ireland, following another story. I liked this feature where we could read about both stories happening.

In the book, a father gets married to a woman named Rosemary and has a daughter with her. The
Missy
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The Griffins are a blended family. Unfortunately they have been going through an oil-and-water phase. Surly teen Grainné isn't sad to see her half-brothers and stepmother head off on an adventure holiday in Finland. While Johnny, Tom, and mom Sandra are dog-sledding in the frozen north, Grainné is steeling herself to see her mother for the first time in more than 10 years. Each of the children has to find strength and maturity and courage to face physical and emotional hazards, Just as the ...more
Martin. A
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12 or higher
Recommended to Martin. A by: me self
This book has two stories that unite at the end. The characters are Grainne, Johnny, Tom, Sandra, Frank. Sandra was the mother and frank was the husband. Frank told Sandra and their sons to pass the vacation in Finland but Grainne did not want to pass with her stepmother. The author made great ways of imagery because when they got to Finland he expressed the cold and the dogs that pulled them and how they did not see a thing. they made a gigantic trip for some cabin at the end that was really ...more
Clare O'Beara
This is a fun, dramatic and informative story about two boys and their mother who go on a trip to Finland. The huskies who pull sleds are the big source of attraction for the lads. And they're going to be sledding across snowy wastes, frozen lakes and wooded wilderness all day... Yaay!

Meanwhile back in Dublin, the boys have an older half-sister who waits with their dad, for her mother is coming back from America to see her for the first time in many years.

The boys work with the dogs and take
Elaine O'Brien
This story has all the ingredients for a great novel: a snowy adventure in Finland goes wrong for two young boys from Dublin, while at home, their moody and troubled older half-sister is reuniting with the mother who abandoned her as a child. However, the story takes a while to get going, despite the fact that this novel is very short, and there is no major climax.

A fine book for reluctant readers in their early teens, but I wouldn't recommend it to adults. The very short sentences make it
Karen Field
Wilderness is a book for younger readers. I usually enjoy such books, but something about this one just didn't do it for me. I didn't connect with the characters. I couldn't relate to them.

It's a story of two boys who are taken on a wilderness holiday by their mother. She is keen to be away from home while her husband's first wife visits their daughter, who lives with her dad. I enjoyed the mother/daughter relationship -- the fear, anger and getting to know each other scenes. However, I didn't
Alex
Sep 25, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was supposed to be a story of how families that have drifted apart can come back together, especially if propelled by tragic events, but I thought it was a little clumsy. The chapters flip back and forth between the two sets of children from one family; one line is about a rebellious teenage daughter who feels alienated from her fathers new family, and how she is reconnected with her real mother. The other story line is about how the step mom takes her two sons for an arctic dog sledding ...more
Tracie
May 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-school, elem
A parallel story that centers around one family. Grainna is angry, rebellious, confused and lonely - she hates her family even though she loves them, her father, her step-mom, and her two step-brothers, Tom and Johnny. Now her mother, who abandoned Grianna and her father when Grianna was younger, is coming back to Dublin to re-unite if possible.
Now that Graainna's mother is returning, Sandra (step-mom) doesn't think she can handle this on top of Grainna's abuse of her family these past few
Alison
Oct 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wilderness by Roddy Doyle is a wonderful family drama and snowy adventure book combined. It is about a family of five, two brothers Tom and Johnny, their half sister Grainne, their mother Sandra and father Frank. When Tom, Johnny and Sandra go on vacation to Finland to go on a dog sledding expedition, Grainne and Frank stay home so that Grainne can meet her mother who "abandoned" her. But when Sandra gets lost on the groups way to a stop, Tom and Johnny go out with the dogs to rescue her, ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Scarecrow and His Servant
  • An Elephant in the Garden
  • In the Sea There are Crocodiles: Based on the True Story of Enaiatollah Akbari
  • Save Rafe! (Middle School #6)
  • The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)
  • Escape from Warsaw
  • Frognapped (Araminta Spookie, #3)
  • Skellig (Skellig, #1)
  • A Wayne in a Manger
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Stories)
  • Mold and the Poison Plot
  • The Secret of the Night Train
  • The Dog Who Saved the World
  • The Path to the Spiders' Nests
  • I, Coriander
  • Good Enough
  • Chasing the Stars
  • The Skylarks’ War
Roddy Doyle (Irish: Ruaidhrí Ó Dúill) is an Irish novelist, dramatist and screenwriter. Several of his books have been made into successful films, beginning with The Commitments in 1991. He won the Booker Prize in 1993.

Doyle grew up in Kilbarrack, Dublin. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from University College, Dublin. He spent several years as an English and geography teacher before becoming