Start by marking “Sakura: Intellectual Property” as Want to Read:
Sakura: Intellectual Property

Sakura: Intellectual Property

PRAISE FOR SAKURA “An epic story about a heavy-metal, super-ninja android during a cyberpunk apocalypse. It’s the best possible memorial for Zachary Hill and everything he thought was awesome. Tracy and Genesse did a fantastic job finishing this excellent book filled with samurai robots, evil megacorporations, jetpacks, espionage, hacker battles, anime fights, cyber nukes, ...more
Published February 4th 2019 by Iron Dragon Books

To ask other readers questions about Sakura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sakura

Bradley
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sakura: Intellectual Property pounds with action, rips with high-tech espionage, and grips with the unfolding mystery of who enslaved heavy-metal sensation, Sakura, and why. The layers go so much deeper, though. The real heart and soul of this story, the thing that will keep you coming back for more, lies in its fascinating exploration of what it means to be human by examining it from the outside, through the eyes of a blossoming artificial intelligence. Sakura is for fans looking for a heavy me ...more
Jennie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you love music, androids, or AWESOMENESS, then you must read Sakura: Intellectual Property! I had the great pleasure to work on this book and be a part of the amazing team behind this story. Paul Genesse and Patrick Tracy are two of the best authors and nicest men I've ever met. They took this story, written by their late friend, and turned it into the most incredible tribute to him.

On to the book itself: WOW! This book has everything going for it: assassin androids, headbanging heavy metal,
Michael Darling
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to get an advanced copy of Sakura: Intellectual Property. This novel lands like a power chord from a world-class rock opera. There’s power in the words. Power in the characters. Power in the story. From the first chapter, we are card-carrying members of the Sakura fan club. Sakura is a “vocaloid,” an android robot designed to sing hard and thrash a guitar even harder. While millions of fans watch, Sakura’s programming is hacked, turning her into the most sophisticated and dangero ...more
Kevin Findley
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
A book that makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy because I found a new author writing an amazing book. Sad because he died before he could finish it. Thankful that he had family and friends willing and able to finish it.

OK, short version first. This is the most kick-@$$, heavy metal, unapologetic, and unforgiving book you just might read in 2019!

Longer version: No sacred cow goes un-slain and every ideology takes a slap to the head at some point. Zach Hill came back from some very dar
BJ Haun
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
I've never felt so bad about giving a book a 3-star rating.

So just let me get this out of the way: As a labor of love, I rate this book 5/5. The story behind the writing of the book is out there so I won't take up space with it here other than to applaud the authors who finished the book for their friend on their own dime. Well done, gentlemen.

It's just a shame I didn't like the book more. It just didn't click with me, and I never really grew to love any of the characters. It took me well over
John Catton
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This is the big one. This is a novel that attempts to not only reinvent the Cyberpunk genre but also current cultural perceptions of Japan. In general, I think it's a great success. Despite the density of names, tech slang and sleazy future-world details, it's a smooth page-turning read, with the action zipping you along without missing anything. Second time around, you pick up some of the smaller supporting details on re-reading.
Although it’s 625 pages long, that can barely contain the intrigue
William Howe
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Not to my taste

There are at least three big concepts running through the novel: corporate takeover, internet of things, and AI. All blended into a heavy dose of anime and heavy metal.

I am not a fan of anime, so I lacked most of the references other than recognizing some of the words. Heavy Metal I am also not a particular fan, though I am more familiar with some of the more popular groups and have a better understanding for it. I do not like to listen to music while I read, though. Too distracti
Antoine Guillaud
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a blast.
Very good story.
The only thing I could criticize is the fact that the book begins really slow and gains pace at about the 50% mark, then it's a rollercoaster.

Lots of action but also lots of emotions, of thoughts and some good laughs (The Nickelback joke if you read it) as well as some tears.

also, nice touch on an electronic edition: tapping on the chapter header, you get to you tube for the playlist of the chapter.

Read it if you like, japan, anime, and, most of all, thoughtful b
Joel McAllister
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary experience

I don't like heavy metal that much. I am not in any shape an otaku or a super fan of Japanese pop culture. One would think that would make this book not for me.

One would be wrong.

While I didn't get all the song references and the references to culture... I did get the engaging story about a trapped soul fighting for freedom for herself and ultimately the world.

The action was well done. And the ending had me in tears.

A well done satisfying read, for all.
Peter K
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's a giant ball of awesome. So many layers of awesome. Japanese culture. Metal. Political intrigue.

It's good stuff.

(view spoiler)
Gregory L. Hollen
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

I had never read cyberpunk before but this has me hooked. Incredible action, deep emotion, and highly entertaining. Sit back and let the power of heavy metal take you for a thrill ride you won't soon forget.
Greg Garguilo
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A slow start in the opening chapters

Which rapidly improved. Politics from to the fore near the end, perhaps a bit heavy, but without the explanation and lengthy exposition which mars similar works. Well worth the read.
Graham Bradley
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rounding up from 3.5. Exciting with a cool premise, but it lagged a little. Full review to come on my podcast.

RIP, Zach.
Chloe Ward
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sakura moved me to tears, I have no other words. I am late on posting my advanced copy, but better late than never. Zachary Hill was a true visionary and Paul and Patrick made it a reality.
Joe Monson
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heavy metal with hints of Ghost in the Shell, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and the Illuminati. It’s a super fun ride.
Julie Frost
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A cybernetic tour de force starring a plucky heavy-metal heroine—in which we find out if music really can save us all. Fantastic read.
Andrew Puterbaugh
Dan
Mar 19, 2019
John
Mar 04, 2019
“I apologize for not realizing Kenshiro was sending a secret code,” Todai said. “I should’ve known. He is undoubtedly an asshole, but he would never impugn my honor to say that I, a true heavy-metal fan, liked Nickelback. There are lines that even mercs will not cross.” 0 likes