Start by marking “Non era vero” as Want to Read:
Non era vero

Non era vero

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  17,008 ratings  ·  2,342 reviews
Anna è sconvolta quando, a sette mesi di distanza dalla morte per suicidio del padre, sua madre sceglie di togliersi la vita nello stesso identico modo. Almeno, questo è quanto stabilisce la polizia. Ma qualcosa dentro Anna, innamorata del suo ex terapeuta e da poco divenuta mamma, si ribella all’evidenza. Nulla, nel passato della sua famiglia, giustifica un epilogo tanto ...more
Published February 12th 2019 by DeA Planeta (first published March 8th 2018)

Win a Copy of This Book

Let Me Lie
    Release date: Mar 12, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 25 copies of LET ME LIE!

The stunning new novel from Clare Mackintosh, the international bestselling author of I Let Yo

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 5733 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 12 - Mar 26, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Non era vero, please sign up.
    Stacie
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  17,008 ratings  ·  2,342 reviews

Chelsea Humphrey
    Some authors are a one trick pony; they continue to write the same type of stories for the duration of their career, sometimes successfully and other times not so much. Clare Mackintosh is no such pony; while all three of her novels fall clearly in the crime fiction genre, the style, flow, and thematic elements vary drastically. I highly respect this move-it's ballsy for an author working within such a rigid genre and she does it beautifully. In fact, I can't think of many other authors who have ...more
    Kaceey
    May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4.5⭐
    Anna is trying to come to terms with her family’s tragic past. You see, she lost both parents to suicide. Adding to the unbearable pain, it was only within 7 months of each-other. Both having taken their lives in the very same way.

Anna is starting over. She has a new boyfriend and a new baby. New beginnings...unfortunately, the past won’t stay in the past!

On the anniversary of her mother’s death she receives an anonymous and disturbing card:
    Suicide? Think again.

Is this someone trying to be
    Deanna
    Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arcs
    My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I read " I Let You Go " by Clare Mackintosh a few years ago and LOVED it. The author’s second novel " I See You " has been on my TBR for a while and I am looking forward to reading it too. However, when the opportunity came up to read " Let Me Lie ", I was thrilled and couldn’t wait to get reading.

The police say it was suicide.

Anna says it was murder.

They're both wrong.

Anna Johnson is trying to adjust to life without h
    j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]
    FOUR STARS

With a smidgen of optimism, I finally decided on a 4 star rating for LET ME LIE. But, in all fairness of honest disclosure, at certain points in the book I felt the dreaded THREE STAR rating looming in the distance.

My queen of plot twists, Clare Mackintosh, does not disappoint in the department of surprise. She rules the world of shocking revelations! Where her second novel I See You crossed the line of believability, this new novel only briefly straddles the line. Cross that line mor
    Norma * Traveling Sister
    2.5 stars rounded down

First off I want to mention that I absolutely loved I LET YOU GO and was absolutely WOWED by that book and subsequently will read anything that CLARE MACKINTOSH writes! Even though this one didn't quite work out for me I will still read future books by this author.

If I am rating this solely on my review rating system this book gets no more than 2.5 stars from me which I have decided to round down.  It was just okay and for the most part it wasn’t an enjoyable read for me.
    Zoeytron
    Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Truth be told, Let Me Lie didn't do much for me.  As psychological thrillers go, this was tepid to the point of going cold.  Doubly disappointing as I thoroughly enjoyed the author's first novel, I Let You Go.

Mistakes are made, accidents happen, lies are told.  So many lies, it becomes exhausting.  A new mom is still mourning the suicide of her father.  A few months later, her mother follows suit.  Questions remain.

The writing was fine,
    Linda
    Something to ponder.......Your tickets are marked Disney World.......only your final destination turns out to be a neighborhood carnival. More on that later.

Anna Johnson looks into the sleepy eyes of her newborn daughter, Ella. (Clare Mackintosh writes this passage in achingly beautiful prose.) But Anna's motherly joy is suppressed by her heavy grief. It's coming up on the one year anniversary of an unspeakable tragedy. Both of her parents committed suicide.....one right after the other.

You don'
    Dennis
    Clare Mackintosh and I have a very interesting relationship; I have strong opinions about her novels....and she has no idea who I am. When I started reviewing thrillers, one of the first big stories I reviewed was I See You, and it just wasn't my favorite story. I do know that the author spent over a decade on the police force and it has become some sort of a muse for her widely popular thriller novels. When I received my advanced copy of Let Me Lie from Berkley (thank you!), I wanted to give ...more
    Susanne  Strong
    3.75 Stars* (rounded up)

Anna Johnson’s parents are gone.. it has now been over a year since she lost her mother and more than that since she lost her dad. She lives each day for her little girl, Ella and her partner Mark. Thank goodness she has them. Everyone, including the police think her parents died by suicide, but Ella knows differently.. she just feels it. When on the anniversary of her mother’s passing, she receives a note in her mailbox which says “Suicide, Think Again” - Anna feels some
    Melisa
    Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, edelweiss, thriller
    Clare Mackintosh is a brilliant writer. If she writes it, I will read it.

I hate to compare author’s novels to each other and not take them as original works, but I struggled with that in this case. I Let You Go was an amazing book - it ripped out my heart and brought me to tears. (Bit dramatic? Yes. But true.) This one unfortunately didn’t pan out how I was hoping.

This will be an exciting, twisty thriller to some, but for someone who reads a lot of this genre, I found it to be a bit predictabl
    Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
    I read Ms. Mackintosh’s book “I Let You Go” and enjoyed it. I was looking forward to another great read in “Let Me Lie”. Although some reviewers seem to be disappointed in this book I liked it. Here’s why:

The story is told from multiple points of view which is always interesting and since one of the narrators is not identified I found it that much more enticing.

The writing is very good. It flowed well and kept me reading. It had plenty of twists and lots of lies, lots and lots of lies! The main
    Esil
    Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: ew
    It’s so hard to weed out the mediocre from the excellent when it comes to psychological thrillers — hard enough that every now and then, it feels like it might be best to abandon the genre altogether. I’m not quite there yet, but Let Me Lie definitely gets tossed onto the mediocre pile.

Both of Anna’s parents committed suicide within a few months of each other — or so she thinks. Retired officer Murray decides to try to help her figure out what happened. The story is told from both their perspect
    Book of Secrets
    Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4.5 Stars → LET ME LIE is a dark and clever psychological thriller, and the perfect cure for my reading slump. This is the third book by Clare Mackintosh that I’ve read, and I always enjoy her writing. She has a talent for creating emotional, character-driven suspense with amazing twists that really mess with your head. She makes you love/hate/sympathize with characters, and then bam! A big twist comes along to make you question everything.

Anna Johnson is a daughter grieving over the suicides of
    JanB
    This was my first book by this author although I own I Let You Go, a book I've heard wonderful things about and plan to read soon. I really enjoyed the beginning of this one and was very invested in the characters and the writing. I had enormous sympathy for Anna who lost both her parents to suicide within a year. When there are clues that perhaps her parent's deaths were not suicide, Detective Murray is brought in and re-opens the investigation. He was a welcome addition to the story, and ended ...more
    Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Both parents committing suicide at the same exact spot seven months apart seemed a bit strange. Anna extremely missed both her parents but didn't know how much until a horrible reminder arrived in the mail.

This horrible reminder had Anna rethinking the possibility that her parents really didn't commit suicide but had been murdered. She never thought her parents would kill themselves and leave her without them.

Anna asked for the case to be reopened, and a retired policeman, Murray, was taking on
    sue

I have read some emotionally driven thrillers in the past, but boy oh boy what the heat on in this one.
    I am definitely not going to go into this complex and cleverly written thriller.

You need to go in blind with this one and enjoy the dynamics of this great book.

About 3/4 of the way in you may think, nothing is happening, its like having your camera pointing at something that is times to come near and you want to snap it before you miss it, this was the case in this book, you are poised, waiting
    Carrie
    Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: edelweiss
    Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh is a psychological thriller that was a bit of a slow burn read. The story is told between alternating the point of view between a pair of main characters and then an unknown person involved.

Anna is a new mother that is still struggling with the loss of both of her parents just a year before. Anna’s father had been seen just before he apparently jumped to his death and then shortly after Anna’s mother seems to have done the same thing weighted down with the grief of
    Mackey
    Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The police ruled her parents death a suicide but on the anniversary of their death Anna receives an ominous, anonymous note suggesting otherwise. Is it just a hoax, or is it a clue to what really happened to Anna's parents?

Clare Mackintosh is so well known in the Crime/Suspense genre that you know you're going to get a terrific read. Let Me Lie is no exception, perhaps even better than her previous publications which I loved. Her writing strength is that she creates every day people that we ca
    ABookwormWithWine
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

First of all, many thanks to Berkley Publishing Group for providing me with an advance review copy of this book via Edelweiss AND a physical copy! All opinions are my own.

There are a lot of mixed reviews out there for Let Me Lie, but I am so glad I read it. It is very obvious to me that Clare Mackintosh has A LOT of talent. I both gasped and cried during this book, and there were so many things that happened that I was not expecting. It was my second time reading a book by Mackintosh, an
    Jan
    Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, suspense
    Big disappoint for me, especially after my first experience with this author-I Let You Go- was an easy 5 stars.

I found the protagonist annoying, the plot unrealistic, and the pace so slow I found myself skimming through chapters trying to find the high points. Even the ending couldn't save this one for me.

Others have responded more positively than I, so don't let this review scare you off. I still have faith that my next venture with this author will have me singing her praises again.

ARC provid
    Marialyce
    3 stars

Imagine losing your father to suicide and then months later, your mother follows with her own suicide in the same place your father chose to end his life?

For Anna Johnson, this was her reality. Trying to cope with this plus the demands of being a new mother having had a baby with her boyfriend is difficult. However, after receiving cryptic notes in the mail. Anna begins to question if perhaps these suicide were more, that more being murder.

The story continues throwing in many twists and
    megs_bookrack
    My first Clare Mackintosh experience. What can I say? At times, I was really enjoying it, at other times, I was putting up with it.

There were moments, toward the beginning in particular, that I was a little confused as to what type of story this was 'trying' to be. Thinking back on those early chapters, I am still a little confused.

A literary sleight of hand perhaps; certain details had your brain going in one direction which, at least for me, ended up being flipped completely on its head. Tha
    Liz Barnsley
    Dec 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I feel really bad. I loved this authors first book and was very fond of her 2nd but I have so many problems with this one - not to do with the writing obviously she can write - and not even with the addictive quality it's not like I threw it aside, I wanted to know what happened - but I found the plot and execution disappointing considering it came from such an obviously talented author so rather than my *rating reflecting the writing quality this is ALL about everything else.

There are so many
    Jasmine from How Useful It Is
    I started reading Let Me Lie on 8/5/2018 and finished it on 8/16/2018. This book is a good read! I love Murray as soon as I read the part about him carrying a handkerchief around just so when a woman cry, he could offer that to her. Anna’s life is a bored to read mainly because she’s in a grieving process and feeling spooked at every turn due to the unexpected mail she received. I like how so many people could be the bad guys. I like uncle Billy’s love story. I’m glad the story change pace in th ...more
    Louise Wilson
    One year ago, Caroline Johnson chose to end her life brutally: a suicide planned to match that of her husband just years before. Their daughter, Anna, has struggled to come to terms with their loss ever since. Now with a young baby of her own, Anna misses her mother more than ever and starts to question her parents deaths. But by digging up their past, she'll put her future in danger.

Anna recieves cryptic notes in the mail and begins to question the suicide notes her parents left. There are many
    Tina
    I won this book on a Goodreads Giveaway. I was ecstatic. I had read Clare Mackintosh's debut novel, "I Let You Go," and found it to be brilliant and clever. I have and for sure will read her second book, "I See You" at some point very soon.

Anna Johnson is still reeling from her parents suicides only seven months apart. A year later she is still grieving but has a baby and is living with a partner. She receives a note on the one year death anniversary of her mother that makes her question the de
    Bookread2day
    Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I loved every page of this psychological thriller, but then again I’m a big fan of Clare Mackintosh. Let Me Lie is now my favourite novel by Clare Mackintosh. With excellent twist in I highly recommend this book. Nineteen month ago Anna’s father took the newest and the most expensive car from the forecourt of his own business. He drove it to Eastbourne to be Beachy Head and parked it in the car park and threw himself off the cliff. Seven months later Anna’s mother followed him. The papers called ...more
    Jonetta
    Anna Johnson is having to face the one-year anniversary of her mother Caroline’s suicide...which came 6 months after her father Tom’s death in the same manner and at the same place. Anna lives in their old house with her partner, Mark Hemmings and their newborn daughter, Ella. She’s a bundle of emotions but isn’t imagining things when she receives an ominous (and anonymous) message calling into question her mother’s suicide. It’s serious enough that she contacts the police.

This is one of the st
    Juli
    Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Anna's parents committed suicide. They both jumped from Beachy Head a few months apart. Close to the anniversary of her mother's death, Anna receives a cryptic note.

Suicide? Think again.

She begins to think that maybe her parents were murdered. Maybe they didn't both leap to their deaths from the cliff and take that long plunge into the sea.

She finds one retired police officer willing to listen to her. But everyone else thinks maybe she is losing her mind. Maybe the grief is just too much for h
    Brenda
    4.5s

One year it had been – one year since Anna had lost her mother; seven months after she had lost her father. Her grief was a constant, always by her side. Now with two-month-old Ella, she continued to feel the need to talk to her mum, to ask her advice. Anna also wished she could ask why…

But Anna’s doubts about her parents’ method of death hummed inside her – she was sure they wouldn’t have committed suicide; so what had happened; were they murdered? The card delivered on the morning of th
    Thriller fans: Maandboek - Valse Hoop 38 27 Oct 20, 2018 05:01AM
    Reading Until Inf...: August 2018 Book Selection Let Me Lie 2 13 Sep 25, 2018 06:44PM
    Fiction Fanatics: May 2018 - Let Me Lie 2 18 May 24, 2018 04:22AM
    Crime, Mysteries ...: Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh - April 2018 52 99 Apr 30, 2018 10:25PM
    J.D. Robb : Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh - April 2018 - Spoiler Zone 43 156 Apr 23, 2018 08:07PM
    Clare Mackintosh spent twelve years in the police force, including time on CID, and as a public order commander. She left the police in 2011 to work as a freelance journalist and social media consultant now writes full time. She lives in North Wales with her husband and their three children.

Clare's debut novel, I Let You Go, is a Sunday Times bestseller and was the fastest-selling title by a new c
    • The Girl I Used to Be
    • Do Not Disturb: Be careful who you let inside . . .
    • The Pool House
    • While I Was Sleeping
    • 11 Missed Calls
    • Half Moon Bay
    • The Turn of the Key
    • Dying Breath (Detective Lucy Harwin, #2)
    • Redemption of the Dead (DI Sean Corrigan, #0.5)
    “Life, changing with a single word. A single lie.” 1 likes
    “I believe people walk into your life at precisely the right moment for you,” 1 likes