Start by marking “HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World” as Want to Read:
HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World

HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World

Home baking may be a humble art, but its roots are deeply planted. On an island in Sweden a grandmother teaches her granddaughter how to make slagbrot, a velvety rye bread, just as she was taught to make it by her grandmother many years before. In Portugal, village women meet once each week to bake at a community oven; while the large stone oven heats up, children come run ...more
Published November 15th 2003 by Artisan (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about HomeBaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HomeBaking

Jen
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A whole new world of bread recipes, beyond the same somewhat dense, healthy loaves that I learned to make years ago. I'm into the slow rise loaves from the book, that you can start a few days before actually baking - it's a nice variation from the feeling that "I'm baking bread so I have to stay home all day to tend it in between rises." Made the Vietnamese baguettes recipe but only had wild rice flour rather than standard rice flour - turned out as this unusually creamy tasting, almost purple l ...more
Melissa Bond
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterfully crafted & simple recipes from around the world that creatively use flour. From pies, cakes, cookies & breads - not only are the recipes easy to master, but the history makes each one richer in taste. This included one of the best recipes for challah I have ever used, and several mouth-watering treats using phyllo.
Brooke
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I read about this book in the New Yorker. I'm excited to check it out.... Just got this book from the library. It looks amazing. The narratives and photographs make it the kind of cookbook I can settle in on the couch with before bed. Looking forward to trying out a few recipes this weekend.
Elizabeth
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interesting in baking
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Lien
Apparently, I read this book by Naomi Duguid and Jeffery Alford in 2010. And yet, only six years later, I have no recollection of it, which is surprising. Because the photos are spectacular and there are lovely vignettes to accompany the many wonderful looking recipes.

This cookbook really is wonderful. I particularly liked the parts about visiting the village oven in a small community in Portugal and a bakery in Kabul.
    The place [in Kabul] I remember most was the local bakery. Most of the tim
Cheri
Feb 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is not my kind of cookbook. I would guess that about half of the pictures were of places or people rather than food. If you were a close friend of the authors, this would be a very interesting travelogue, but otherwise I'm not sure what some of these personal anecdotes even had to do with baking (why does it matter that the author was just out of high school when he first took a bicycle/backpack trip to Wales?).Although I can see the reference value of cataloging some of these recipes, I wo ...more
Robin
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love all the authors' cookbooks. So beautiful, with authentic recipes, wonderful stories and beautiful photographs. I love the way all the books have a theme but still weave in accents and additions, like including a recipe for Seville marmalade in here. The flatbreads and rice books are my favourites - I'm not much of a baker, though I like to make bread - but all the books are very, very good and worth owning.

Elizabeth Lenz
Jan 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bakers, history fans
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Drew
My husband gave me this cookbook for Chanukkah last year...what's great about it, other than the fabulous recipes, is that it includes the history of baking...the types of baking as well as individual recipes...in a narrative style. Well worth the read as a non-fic book as well as a great recipe book for breads.
LemontreeLime
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
i wish i were the kind of person that baked from this book. great photos, amazing looking recipes, clever stories, and then me - lazy baker. I handed it off to a friend to whom it will be a culinary adventure, and maybe she will share the spoils of her creation...
Katie
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A cookbook that was a hard to put down read. I found myself drifting through every page and reading the stories of the recipes as well as the stories in between. The pictures reminded me of a National Geographic expedition. There are a couple of recipes I'll probably try.
angi
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
a unique set of recipes drawing from baking traditions all around the world. my successful attempts include ukrainian honey cake, gingerbread w/ molasses, and brownies. coriander cookies were a little too strange for my tastes, but i like the fact that the recipe is from the 1900s.
Sara
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
This is the kind of cookbook that inspires me, like everybody's grandmother is cooking for you. Pieces of love & life baked into deliciousness & served with their stories so you can, for a few bites, become part of their traditions, their families.
Linda
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Like Alford and Druid's other books, this one is part cookbook and part travelogue. The recipes are interesting and represent the best baking of the regions covered.
Maria
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
a cultural experience, your taste buds will thank you
Foxthyme
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, favorites
Beautiful visually and wordwise. And the recipes can make you drool. If you're at all into baking, pick up a copy of this book.
Rwildfon
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book by husband and wife world traveler bakers, stories of place and food of the "people" great pictures and great recipes too.
Russell Huntley
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Cool!!
Jeanne
Jul 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Some great recipes for bread in here. Got this for $2 at a thrift store. Have been using the bread recipes in here weekly for the past 6 months!
kushana
Denise
Jan 03, 2017
Cache
Aug 11, 2015
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • The Paris Cookbook
  • Great Scandinavian Baking Book
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Marcella Cucina
  • Susan Feniger's Street Food: Irresistibly Crispy, Creamy, Crunchy, Spicy, Sticky, Sweet Recipes