Start by marking “Dear Midnight” as Want to Read:
Dear Midnight

Dear Midnight

Dear Midnight is a poetic love letter to the darkest moments. A hello to the moon. A break from the idea that love can only be found in the daylight.

______________________

than those few minutes
that separate darkness
from

Published February 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Dear Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Midnight

Start your review of Dear Midnight
Alice (Married To Books)
Very minimalistic and modern poetry included in Dear Midnight. That kind of styling works well for me personally as I'm not a fan of the rambly poetry in older collections that have been published. I felt the emotional connection coming across to me as the reader. As another reviewer has picked up in her review posted on GR, there was a couple of short moments where I felt a little confused regarding the narration. ...more
heidi
Jan 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
Just go to therapy.

This was an absolute waste of time.

Teenage angst, terrible terrible poetry, this was definitely someone who saw the new trend of short poetry and tried to get on board, failed and honestly just wanted a poetry book published and went the lazy way about it.

I read a few that I recognized from quotes and posts on Pinterest and Instagram (this seems to be a theme amongst wannabe Atticus or Lovelace admirers) and I don’t appreciate that.

I typically quote and highlight lines I en
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
Split into three parts, this is a collection that attempts to illustrate the internal psychological struggle of moving on from a toxic relationship as you taint your life with the mistakes of the past. While some "poems" had a fun structure to them, despite their insanely short length (of maybe five words?), most of the time I came back to wondering how these got published...

Yours truly,

Lashaan | Blogger and Book Reviewer
Official blog: https://bookidote.com/
Ang
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars
Dear Midnight is a short work of modern poetry that can easily be read through in less than an hour. I wish there were more to it; however, if it were much longer I don't think that I would have enjoyed it as much. Zack Grey's best pieces, in my opinion, were the shorter poems. Minimalism works in his favor, especially because he is able to convey so much emotion in only a few words. For example:

you smile like
helium
and i
float.

However, what I think makes Dear Midnight stand apart from its contemp
Rhiannon
Jan 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
An entire book full of mediocre, modern day poetry all about glorifying toxic and unhealthy relationships, a heartbreak and how the guy never gets over it, and how he thinks of this one girl while he's with another. ...more
Jason
Apr 14, 2020 added it
my 3rd poem book finished!

this one i really felt and is my favourite so far.
still the thing is that i cannot connect with the poems is about the romantic relationship. since i never got in the same situation. seem to only read poems about were the women are the one who control the male. but i enjoyed this one and will for sure recommend it!
Erika
Jul 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm really sick of the new poetry trends. The strange and awkward pacing, the utter lack of editing, broken lines of broken thoughts and "poems" that consist of a handful of words spaced out in an attempt to disguise their mediocrity as being profound. ...more
Jordon Greene
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I loved it! Every page is filled with such emotion. Grey’s words are beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. If you love poetry, then you need to read this collection.
Jenni Sauer
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Beautiful and heartbreaking. I loved the idea that was drawn out- of the pain of being left, of having your heart broken, and how that slips its way into every aspect of your life after that and won't let go.

There were a few times where the pronouns confused me- specially the use of 'she' and 'you'. Sometimes the two were used interchangeably and othertimes referenced two different people and that made it hard to follow a few times.

But overall a solid book- 4.5 Stars
Ambrosia Smith
Jan 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
Whiny

Most of the poems were the same thing just written slightly different so to sound original. Overall just fell short of what I was expecting and all felt more like an extended whine than truly insightful. Sorry!
Chelsea Vincenzi
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The best part of the book is the structure. I love how it is split. Also love some of the uniquely designed poems.
Fatma
Sep 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
the cliche is strong in this one.
Whitney
May 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
To be honest, I was a little underwhelmed. I got this book through kindle unlimited and it had great reviews, but it just didn't do it for me. ...more
Rachel
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Though a lot of pages were starred and a lot of poems were marked I still feel like there was even more poetry in that laid flat for me. But, the ones I liked I really liked! Let's talk about them a little bit... There are shape poems in the beginning! I didn't expect that at all, and as someone whose very intrigued by that particular style of poetry I found this very pleasing to begin our story with. Pages 14 and 16 were my favorites. As for the ones I didn't note, they weren't bad poems I just ...more
Sydney Brown
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Heartfelt

This was a creative and beautiful set of poetry. It really captured the emotions of love, heartbreak, and the process of moving forward. It was a quick but enjoyable read.
mar📖
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
lifetimes ago,
it was you.

it’s still
you.
Aude Odeh
May 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
If you've read on Tumblr poet you've read them all. Not very original. Used the same poem multiple times and blacked out certain words. Nothing moving or eye catching. Just wasn't my cup of tea ...more
Kate
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous

Beautiful, emotional words, really felt it. A fantastic read! One I'll definitely go back to read time and time again
Alex Antally
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book, filled with so much love and sadness! ❤️
Lorna Victoria
I try not to rate poetry that I either feel ambivalence over or don't like because there's poetry for everyone. This was not one that I liked by any stretch of the imagination, but I could see doe-eyed teens losing their shit over it.

Yeah...Sorry.
Shalandra
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ehh

It was okay. Not what I was expecting. First time reader of Zack Grey. I will try again with his next book.
Hien Le
Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Too cheesy

I'm way too old for this kind of self-destruction poems, but probably it's just me. Free on Prime Reading though
Autumn
It would seem that all contemporary prose collections follow the same three-act structure: love, misery, reflection. Once again, this is a book marketed as something abstract while really only being an account of a doomed relationship (I take full responsibility for this, however, since I keep falling for it, and should really know better by now). The poet is talented with words, and there are many shining pieces of work to be found here, but that doesn't necessarily make up for the fact that no ...more
kymberly🍁
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I literally flew through this book without even meaning to. I wasn't even planning on reading this today, but I just downloaded Amazon Kindle, and I saw it was free for prime members.

It was okay. It wasn't the best poetry book I've read. I felt it was too short and was missing something. The last 10 or so pages went deep compared to the rest of the book, in my opinion, and were probably the best.
Rachael
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Eh?

First book I’ve read by this author, but it wasn’t as captivating as I had originally thought it would be.
Mikayla
Nov 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Wow. That was BAD.
Tess Stoops
Apr 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
For middle school love themes

Cliche. Also just...Tumblr reposts strung together doesn't make a book. I feel like I read an edgy preteens diary. Weird stuff.
Rachel Myers
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Loved what I liked...

Brooke Goodwin
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m in love with the aesthetic combination of ‘midnight’ and a relationship! I love the idea of night—though I also love day—so the title already had me eager to read Dear Midnight.

I wasn’t, however, expecting what kind of poems I would find in this book... But I definitely wasn’t disappointed! In fact, this has quickly become one of my favorite poetry books!

Everything about Dear Midnight’s aesthetic, content, and visual style makes me so happy! The amount of raw emotion in each poem had me “Awe
Jeremy D Lucas
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019_04
Dear Midnight showed up in my feed as a recommendation and seemed, even on purchase, every bit like a coffee table, read-it-in-30 poem, rather than a book. This is still true. I don’t feel that a single poem, broken into three parts, is worthy of a cover and a purchase price. But setting all that aside, acknowledging the creativity of the work itself, Grey has, in this poem, weaved together a sense of affectionate turmoil, the burn of loving someone without ever being able to hold them, and a se ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ache.
  • I Am More Than My Nightmares
  • Losing Myself Brought Me Here
  • For When She's Feeling Blue
  • in the absence of the sun
  • Swim