Start by marking “The Snow Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Snow Dragon

The Snow Dragon

You can be late for many things in life, but you should never keep an adventure waiting...

In Griselda Bone's gloomy orphanage, daydreaming is banned, skipping is forbidden and Christmas is well and truly cancelled. But for Phoebe and her sausage dog Herb, is it possible that, just when things seem at their bleakest, magic awaits in the swirling, snow-filled air?

Join th
Published October 31st 2019 by Simon Schuster Children's UK

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snow Dragon

Start your review of The Snow Dragon
Colleen Ryan
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a beautiful book, the illustrations are so magical and imaginative. I loved the character Herb, the dancing sausage dog!!
Pris
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Do you know why my ears are so large?” the dragon whispered. Phoebe shook her head. “So I can listen to all the wonderful things you have to say.”

Possibly the most beautiful and precious little picture book I’ve EVER read. 😭💙❄️
Dreximgirl
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so lovely. The illustrations were beautiful and the story was simple but encahnting. Very much enjoyed it.
matilde
Feb 01, 2021 rated it liked it
THIS was weird and cute
Stephanie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This has a lovely, magical feel, and the snow dragon himself is just wonderful. My 6-year-old and 11-year-old both really loved it.
Anna
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52booksfor2019
The most wonderful, magical story. Your heart will burst with hope and happiness.
Amanda
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The magic in this book is so wonderful. You just feel swept up and whisked away on the journey with Phoebe, Herb and the dragon. There is obviously a moral and a strong message caught up in the story and I think personally that it’s one that adults and children should try to remember. The illustrations are just beautiful and need some time taken on them, exploring every aspect.
I would highly recommend this book, obviously it lends itself well to a Christmas gift, but I intend to read it all yea
Sareen
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
How to describe ‘The Snow Dragon’? It’s a gift to give to yourself: to someone you love, it is a gift of wonder and magic, a tale of sadness but above all, hope and joy.

I would read this tucked up together under a cosy blanket on a winter’s day and the world of sparkling magic would come swirling in carried on the wings of a snow dragon.

Longer than most modern picture books, this is for delving into and sharing: a truly magical story.

I would recommend this for:
As there is a certain element of fa
Sasha
At Griselda Bone's awful orphanage Pheobe and her dancing sausage dog Herb have very little to look forward to; after all daydreaming is banned, skipping is forbidden, and Christmas has been cancelled! But when The Snow Dragon appears Pheobe knows that adventure cannot wait! Will the Snow Dragon's magic be enough to bring Pheobe and Herb their very own Miracle Day?

With shades of Roald Dahl's Matilda and the other-worldliness of Enid Blyton's Faraway tree this is a book both kids and adults will
Kate
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my Christmas presents, so I was eager to read it. It is a very charming tale about a young girl called Phoebe, and her sausage dog Herb, who both live within an orphange. As the headmistress of the orphanage has banned laughter and Christmas, Phoebe's festive season seems as though it will be a rather miserable time. But then it starts to snow, and she is able to go on an adventure like no other.
Although this is a short tale, everything about it is just lovely. The illustrations
Bethany Sawford
This book reminded me of a cross between Matilda and The Mist Monster. Full of gorgeous illustrations and vivid description, we adventure with Phoebe, Herb the sausage dog and a snow dragon, who comes to cheer Phoebe up, as they escape from Miss Bones and the awful orphanage she lives in just for one night. Everyone from my one year old (in three sittings) to my ten year old loves this whimsical story.
Emma Parkin
Such an enchanting adventure involving an orphan, dog and a snow dragon. Escaping the orphanage walls Phoebe explores the village and scenery down below whilst riding on the back of the dragon. Beautifully written story and detailed illustrations which capture the mystery, emotion and hope within the story.
Christina Reid
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful book! It is full of magic and is the perfect read for this time of year. The story, combined with the illustrations, just transports you right into Phoebe's world and away on a wonderful adventure. ...more
Vonprice
Beautiful book to share with primary school children at Christmas.
You can read my full review here:

Dawn
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely magical story
Kate LG
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stunning book that enthralled the kids when I read it. Loved it.
Bev
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous snowy picture book, who wouldn’t want to fly off on an adventure with a beautiful, kind snow dragon?!
Steve
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful. Enjoyed reading it out loud to my grandchildren
Liam
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous story with stunningly beautiful artwork, one of the worst villains ever and the best dancing dog. A beautiful book.
Hedzer
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A heartwarming little Christmas story with 5 star illustrations!
Also, the author Abi Elphinstone has one of the coolest names ever📚
Raising Rigby's
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, heart warming story ❤
Jessica
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sweet and stunning illustrations
Kat Schrav
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Explored importance of experiences over things, family and belonging. Imaginative text for Years 2 - 4.
Moon
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really cute and sweet. The art matches well the story and I felt wonderfully happy after finishing it.
Paula Hale
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book with stunning images. Everything by Abi Elphinstone is just wonderful. Read them all!
Minouschka
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such a beautiful story for the december month. I absolutely adored it!
Sherry Mackay
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A delightful story with beautiful illustrations.
noor
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Way too short, but such sweet and heartwarming message ❤️
Alicia Day
I’m not crying you are
Teri B
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That is one fabulously illustrated children's book. Lovely story, including a sausage dog. And, obviously, a Snow Dragon.

Absolutely and utterly enjoyable.

• The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • One Christmas Wish
  • Dragon Mountain (Dragon Realm, #1)
  • How Winston Delivered Christmas: A Christmas story in twenty-four-and-a-half chapters
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • Tilly and the Map of Stories (Pages & Co., #3)
  • Tinsel (The Girls Who Invented Christmas)
  • Small in the City
  • Willow Moss & the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
  • The Night I Met Father Christmas
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • Nevertell
  • The Land of Roar
  • Frostheart (Frostheart, #1)
  • The Miracle on Ebenezer Street
  • The Haunting of Aveline Jones
  • Never and Forever (The Wizards of Once #4)
  • Murder on the Safari Star (Adventures on Trains #3)
Abi Elphinstone grew up in Scotland where she spent most of her childhood building dens, hiding in tree houses and running wild across highland glens. After being coaxed out of her tree house, she studied English at Bristol University and then worked as a teacher.

THE DREAMSNATCHER is her debut novel for 8-12 years (published by Simon & Schuster in 2015). THE SHADOW KEEPER is her second children's

News & Interviews