Start by marking “Vicksburg: Grant's Campaign That Broke the Confederacy” as Want to Read:
Vicksburg: Grant's Campaign That Broke the Confederacy

Vicksburg: Grant's Campaign That Broke the Confederacy

The astonishing story of the longest and most decisive military campaign of the Civil War in Vicksburg, Mississippi, which opened the Mississippi River, split the Confederacy, freed tens of thousands of slaves, and made Ulysses S. Grant the most important general of the war.

Vicksburg, Mississippi, was the last stronghold of the Confederacy on the Mississippi River. It
Published October 29th 2019 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Vicksburg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vicksburg

Start your review of Vicksburg: Grant's Campaign That Broke the Confederacy
Nemo Nemo
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis

This book written by Professor Emeritus Donald L. Miller is already heralded as a potential best seller. This does not surprise me because having read this rare gem I also hold that opinion. Miller guides us through the evolution of strategies used by Grant, Porter, and Sherman. Professor Miller’s review of the history of the Campaign at Vicksburg was the singular pivotal event leading to the final minutes of the South at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
Vicksburg was thought comple
P.e. lolo
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
A book that takes you through the entire battle of Vicksburg. From first a naval siege almost a year prior. You get a look once again at Grant's life before the war and also the battles leading up to this one. This was a very important victory for the North and I always felt that most people did not think about the travel of the Mississippi River and once having control from North to New Orleans it changed everything. The author takes you through the politics between the generals and Washington, ...more
Casey Wheeler
This book covers the campaigns during the civil war that led to the seige of Vicksburg and its final defeat. The book focuses on the Ulysses Grant and William Tecumseh Sherman primarily, but also addreses a number of others who played key roles in the seige. It is the most comprehensive book on the battle that I have read and I learned a number of things that I did not know prior to this book.

I recommend this book to anyone who is looking to gain a better understanding of Ulysses Gra
Steve
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and well researched book on the Battle of Vicksburg. Vicksburg was a strong Confederate port for its war supplies and armaments. Union general Ulysses S. Grant made a bold invasion of Vicksburg and used troops and artillery to besiege the port city as well as as ironclad gunboats of the Union navy, which was the largest amphibious assault during the Civil War. After forty seven days Vicksburg surrendered.
Craig Pearson
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. This book is a very good compliment to Grant's 'Memoirs'. General histories of the Civil War do not give much detail to the problems Grant had in the Vicksburg campaign. One annoying aspect of this book is Miller's annoying use of casual refernces to the major players. Calling General Sherman 'Tecumseh' seems too familiar in this situation.
Peter Goodman
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing

“Vicksburg: Grant’s campaign that broke the Confederacy,” by Donald A. Miller (Simon and Schuster, 2019). The campaign down the Mississippi, which Miller argues was the most important and the capture of Vicksburg the decisive moment of the war. He begins at the beginning: the early, unpromising history of Hiram Ulysses Grant (never called Hiram), and his unerring strategic eye. From his arrival at the incipient Union base of Cairo, Ill., Grant saw that the US needed to conduct a campaign down th
Judy
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
I really only knew the broad basics of the Civil War until I met my husband. He is a Civil War buff so while I have learned a lot since we've been together, there is still much I don't know. I found this book to be so interesting. I knew absolutely nothing about Grant's youth or even his early years in the Army. I had no clue that he actually had to resign from the Army (before the Civil War) due to his drinking. I knew even less about Sherman so to find out he suffered bouts of severe depressio ...more
Jeff
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: acw, mississippi
A new, well written, extensively researched popular history which includes an excellent bibliography.
That said, nothing particularly new for students of the Vicksburg campaign, no new revelations, no new analytic leaps. Good book for the general public; not so for the aficionado nor deep students of the war in Mississippi.
Doris Raines
Sep 11, 2019

• Dreams of El Dorado: A History of the American West
  • The Greatest Fury: The Battle of New Orleans and the Rebirth of America
  • One Giant Leap: The Impossible Mission That Flew Us to the Moon
  • No Surrender: A Father, a Son, and an Extraordinary Act of Heroism That Continues to Live on Today
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • And Then They Were Doomed
  • Fire and Fortitude: The US Army in the Pacific War, 1941-1943
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • Buried in the Stacks (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #3)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)
  • Love of the Summerfields (Manor House #1)
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Ghost Sniper
  • Ninety Degrees North (USS Stonewall Jackson Book 6)
  • The Eighth Sister (Charles Jenkins #1)
  • Searching for Stonewall Jackson: A Quest for Legacy in a Divided America
  • Mobituaries: Great Lives Worth Reliving
  • Food or War
Dr. Miller is the John Henry MacCracken Professor of History at Lafayette College and an expert on World War II, among other topics in American history. Three of his eight books are on WWII: D-Days in the Pacific (2005), the story of the American re-conquest of the Pacific from Imperial Japan; Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany (2006); and The Sto ...more