Start by marking “The Family Upstairs” as Want to Read:
The Family Upstairs

The Family Upstairs

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  61,930 ratings  ·  7,629 reviews
An alternative cover edition for this ISBN can be found here.

From the New York Times bestselling author of Then She Was Gone and Watching You comes another page-turning look inside one familys past as buried secrets threaten to come to light.

Be careful who you let in.

Published November 5th 2019 by Atria Books (first published August 6th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Family Upstairs, please sign up.
Nancy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kelly Yes, didn't the book open with homeless Lucy hoping to get her stolen fiddle back? I don't remember Clemency being anywhere in the first third or so…moreYes, didn't the book open with homeless Lucy hoping to get her stolen fiddle back? I don't remember Clemency being anywhere in the first third or so of the book. ??(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  61,930 ratings  ·  7,629 reviews

Start your review of The Family Upstairs
Colleen Hoover
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My former publicist (she didn't die or get fired, I just changed publishers, so she's no longer my publicist) sent me an early copy of this book. I opened it up the day before book club (this wasn't the book club book) and I read it all in one sitting. That takes a long time, and The family upstairs was really captivating, so I didn't have time to read the actual book club book. When I got to book club the next night, Joy got mad at me for not reading the book club book, Ashleigh told me I'm a ...more
Dita
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-a-widget
432 engrossing pages of pure psychopathic heaven and I read every one of them in the last 10 hours. I have been walking around our house all day resenting anyone who needed me for anything...this book is THAT good.

We're ordering pizza tonight.

Sorry, not sorry.

Don't worry if, as you start this, you feel a little confused by the introduction of different characters and different time periods, it only feels like you don't know what's going on and it only lasts a little while because pretty soon?
Chelsea Humphrey
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BOTM pick for November 2019!

"It all happened so slowly, yet so extraordinarily quickly, the change to our parents, to our home, to our lives after they arrived. But that first night, when Birdie appeared on our front step with two large suitcases and a cat in a wicker box, we could never have guessed the impact she would have, the other people she would bring into our lives, that it would all end the way it did.

We thought she had just come to stay for the weekend."

description

Gather round children, and
Nilufer Ozmekik
3.25 confused, restless, is it fair enough to give lower points because youre die-hard fan of Lisa Jewell fan question flying over my head, creepy, oh those guests should urgently get the hell out of the house stars!

Personally, honestly, I love this authors work starting from Watching you, Then she was gone, I found you. She is the master evil queen of thrillers taken place in creepy houses and the characters formed in dysfunctional families who have unresolved issues.

So this book is one of
Maureen
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Imagine inheriting an eight bedroom property in Londons SW3 - in the heart of Chelsea - its an area of multi million pound homes - well lets face it, youd be over the moon to say the least. This wonderful inheritance is Libby Jones 25th birthday present, but the house (or mansion to be precise) is pretty dilapidated, and it has a very sinister past too.

Told from the points of view of Libby, Lucy, and Henry, in both the past and present, this compelling family drama begins with the previous
Meredith
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

The Family Upstairs is a compulsively readable psychological thriller that features multiple storylines, three POVs, an unreliable narrator, a sociopath, several mysteries, many murders, a crazy cult, a sick obsession, and much more! Needless to say, theres a whole lot going on.

When Libby, who was adopted when she was a baby, discovers that she will inherit a mansion on her 25th birthday, she is stunned. She wants to know more about her birth parents and why she is the sole heir to a
Mary Beth
2.5 stars rounded up to 3 stars.

This book was very confusing too me so I am just going to use the blurb as the plot. I thought it was written well.

Be careful who you let in.

Soon after her twenty-fifth birthday, Libby Jones returns home from work to find the letter shes been waiting for her entire life. She rips it open with one driving thought: I am finally going to know who I am.

She soon learns not only the identity of her birth parents, but also that she is the sole inheritor of their
Paromjit
Lisa Jewell ventures into horror infested psychological thriller territory in this disturbing and unsettling novel. 25 years ago in Chelsea, London, the police enter 16 Cheyne Walk, the mansion of the wealthy Lambs, the home of the famous Martina, wife, model and mother, with her young children, Henry and Lucy. What they discover is the dead, decomposing bodies of the Lamb parents, and that of another mystery man, with a note that suggests a cult suicide, but strangely they find a 10 month old ...more
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2019, since Im a huge Lisa Jewell fan. For me this book was a frustrating read. The four other novels by this author which I have previously read were favorites of mine and I never had any problems with the flow of the story. This book has so many characters, switches back and forth in time and I found the characters, with the exception of Libby, to be unpredictable and not very believable. In the beginning I actually took notes to keep the characters ...more
megs_bookrack
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**2.5-stars rounded up**

When Libby Jones turns twenty-five, she finally gets to open a letter that has been held in trust for her.

She has been anxiously awaiting this as it contains the identification of her birth parents.

Found at just 10-months old, at the scene of an apparent cult motivated suicide-pact, Libby was quickly adopted.

Her true past remains shrouded in mystery.

Upon opening the letter, she learns startling news. Not just who her parents were, but also that she is set to inherit
Kaceey
Well, it looks as though I may be in the minority on this one!

Libby is shocked after being notified shes just inherited a massive house. One that comes with a mysterious and tragic history.
Libby was found abandoned as a baby in this home. Having been adopted, Libby has since blossomed into a 25 year old, well-adjusted, content young lady. Anxious to keep her life moving along on the timetable shes set for herself.

Well, Miss Libby...this new inheritance thing may just change up your original
Liz
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Lisa Jewells books do a good job of keeping the reader off kilter, especially at the beginning. At the age of 25, Libby learns she has inherited a house. Not just any house, but a mansion in Chelsea, London worth millions of pounds. The house has been vacant for the past 24 years, ever since her parents killed themselves in a suicide pact and left her to be found. What was never determined was what happened to the other people, including her siblings, supposedly also living in the house.

The
Dem
Forgettable and Disappointing read that started with great promise but became bogged down with too many characters and a story that went around in circles

I started out really enjoying this book as I was intrigued by premise;
Soon after her twenty-fifth birthday, Libby Jones receives the letter shes been waiting for her entire life. She rips it open with the excitement of what it contains about her past " I am finally going to know who I am"
She soon learns not only the identity of her birth
Deanna
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

3.5 Stars

Another intriguing read from Lisa Jewell!

A family is forever changed when a woman, her cat, and her two large suitcases come to stay.

Libby Jones was orphaned at six months old. She is now twenty-five and has just received a letter from a solicitor. She's been expecting this letter but she's still surprised by what it says. The house. Theyve left me the house.

16 Cheyne Walk is a townhouse in one of Londons poshest
Susanne  Strong
3 Stars.

Creepy and Disturbing. Par for the Course with Lisa Jewell, Right?!

The Past: Houseguests. They are never pleasant. Unless they are temporary. For a family living in a mansion in Chelsea, a ringing of the doorbell signals a whole host of changes that influences their entire lives, forever. Call it dark, eerie and downright strange.

The Present: On Libby Jones twenty-fifth birthday, she inherits a house. Not just any house, a mansion in Chelsea. Though dilapidated and vacant, it is a total
Holly  B
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

Lisa Jewell is one of my favorite authors!

I have read all of her thrillers and my expectations were so high for her newest (possibly too high).  I love how she writes, builds tension, and weaves a story.

Her books are so easy to read and fall into. This one did seem a bit too long though and I was beginning to tire of the complex plot. It focuses on a highly dysfunctional family and there are a lot of characters to sort out.  It took some time before I was able to make all the
Brenda -Traveling Sister
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
After seeing some mixed reviews for The Family Upstairs, I was a little worried one of my favorite authors has turned to the dark side in more ways than one. I am so glad I decided to give this a try for myself because I had nothing to worry about. Lisa Jewell continues to do no wrong with this devoted reader.

Lisa Jewell is moving a little towards the darker side from what this "Lisa Jewell reader" has come to expect. However, I have moved a little ok a lot to the darker side myself, so I think
Larry H
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark, twisty, and creepy, I devoured Lisa Jewell's new book in the matter of a few hours.

Libby is about to turn 25. Shes thinking about finding the right man, taking the next step in her career, making her limited amount of savings last. Adopted at a young age, she always knew shed be getting some sort of inheritance from her birth parents on her 25th birthday but figured it might be something small and sentimental, if even that.

Shes shocked to discover shes inherited a houseno, a once-grand
Gabby
Oh gosh I truly dont understand the hype this book has already received. I absolutely love Lisa Jewell, I consider her one of my favorite authors; this was one of my most anticipated book releases of the year. I feel like this book was just so uninteresting and definitely my least favorite book from her yet.

This might be a its not the book its me situation cause everyone else seems to be loving the hell out of this, but I felt so disappointed and bored by this book. In typical Lisa Jewel
Babydimps (Suzy)
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars! ⭐⭐⭐⭐

What a disturbing, dark, suspenseful and atmospheric story! Lisa Jewell has done it again with the The Family Upstairs. A very unique tale about family history and all of its secrets.

Although Im a big fan of Jewells books, I was hesitant to read this after seeing so many of my friends mixed reviews. I didnt know what to expect, so I kept an open mind. Im so glad I did!

The three POVs in the book really made it awesome for me. Between that and the short chapters, I found myself
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
3 Creepy, Disturbing and Left Me Off-Kilter Stars

At the age of 25, Libby learns she has inherited a house. Not just any house, but a mansion in Chelsea that is worth millions. The house has been vacant for the past 24 years, ever since her parents killed themselves and left her to be found. The police were never able to piece together exactly what happened in the house or what happened to the other people, including her siblings, rumored to have also been living in the house.

Told via multiple,
Jen
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Distorted; contorted. This was a whacky ride. Another creepy, disturbing one delivered. A mix of mystery, murder, cult, family, and a few weirdos thrown in. Twenty five years later, baby turns of age to inherit the home that left a trail of unanswered questions....and bodies.

My only qualm: too many characters to get acquainted with at the beginning.

Another entertaining read. Thanks Jewell.4⭐

Tense.
Page turner.
Compulsive characteristic tendencies.
Realistic characters.
And things that twist your mind.

It has it all and more.

I did wonder how a person could be manipulated so fast. In hindsight, who are we to judge. We can never expect someone to react the same way we might, or, would like to think we might. Right?

Because of the way this was written with snappy chapters it was easy to get caught up in doing nothing else except read and someone
Aga Durka
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Lisa Jewells books, I read them all, and I recommend them to anyone that will listen. The Family Upstairs is another great book and I am so happy I got to read it over the weekend because otherwise I would have to call in sick to work...I just could not stop reading. I was fully engrossed in the story and there was no way I was able to do any real life chores.
A well-written story with Lisa Jewells unique style. It is creepy, disturbing, atmospheric, and it kept me guessing till the end.
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2019, since Im a huge Lisa Jewell fan. For me this book was a frustrating read. The four other novels by this author were favorites of mine and I never had any problems with the flow of the story. This book has so many characters, switches back and forth in time and I found the characters, with the exception of Libby, to be unpredictable and not very believable. In the beginning I actually took notes to keep the characters
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is a great read! Definitely different. I cant decide if Im annoyed or fascinated by it all. Im annoyed that the owner of the house lose control so easily yet Im fascinated how people are good at manipulating other people into doing things they dont normally do. I enjoyed reading Lucys life with her children but not so much with her memory of Michael. Her memory reminds me of the book Behind Closed Doors, though I rather action instead of mostly recollection. I like Libbys investigation ...more
Michelle
On Libby Jones' 25th birthday she is shocked to discover that she has inherited a sprawling mansion from her birth parents that she never knew. She is even more shocked when she discovers the mystery surrounding the death of her parents. Stranger still it appears that she had two teen aged siblings at the time that vanished into thin air never to be found again.

We've got back and forth in time and we follow three perspectives: that of Libby, Henry, and Lucy. I thoroughly enjoyed the Libby and
Carole
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-books
The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell leads the reader astray, chapter by chapter. Libby Jones never knew who her parents were. As her twenty-fifth birthday approaches, she receives documents that she hopes will divulge who she really is. Instead, she becomes the beneficiary of an abandoned mansion along the river Thames in London which is worth millions of pounds. Twenty- five years ago, police were called to a mansion where they found a healthy ten-month-old baby and the bodies of three deceased ...more
Marialyce
Yes, indeed a Lisa Jewell book is one that I am always drawn to for they always possess intrigue and mystery and with the right amount of scare factor. So I was over the top happy when I received an advanced copy of Ms Jewell's newest outing.

Ms Jewell has again embarked on the creepy trial of a family taken under the spell of a charismatic (we are told) man and his small entourage. As the story begins we find ourselves deep into the mystery involving three decomposing bodies and the ten month
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Libby receives a letter on her twenty-fifth birthday that is supposed to tell her who she is. She was adopted, and this letter is a link to her birth family.

The letter contains the names of her birth parents and the knowledge shes inherited an old manse on the banks of the Thames.

Libby is not the only one waiting for this day, and shes about to meet the rest.

Another fateful day where it all begins is when the police receive a call to the manse because a baby is crying. That baby was Libby. The

• The Wives
  • American Dirt
  • Who Killed Ruby?
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Mr. Nobody
Lisa was born in London in 1968. Her mother was a secretary and her father was a textile agent and she was brought up in the northernmost reaches of London with her two younger sisters. She was educated at a Catholic girls Grammar school in Finchley. After leaving school at sixteen she spent two years at Barnet College doing an arts foundation course and then two years at Epsom School of Art & ...more

Articles featuring this book

“They weren’t bad books,” Phin countered patiently. “They were books that you didn’t enjoy. It’s not the same thing at all. The only bad books are books that are so badly written that no one will publish them. Any book that has been published is going to be a ‘good book’ for someone.” 14 likes
“the only way to really know what was going on in the world was to listen to women talk. Anyone who ignores the chatter of women is poorer by any measure.” 7 likes