Start by marking “The Last Dragon (The Revenge of Magic #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last Dragon (The Revenge of Magic #2)

The Last Dragon

(The Revenge of Magic #2)

Fort Fitzgerald is determined to uncover the truth, but a new student at school and the secrets he has to keep complicate matters in this second novel in a thrilling new series from the author of the New York Times bestselling Story Thieves!

Fort Fitzgerald can’t stop having nightmares about the day his father was taken from him in an attack on Washington, DC. In these drea
Published October 8th 2019 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about The Last Dragon, please sign up.
Silver - Have a great day, you're loved Oh, definitely. I'm in the process of reading it, but I loved book one so much. It has a bit of a more serious tone than Story Thieves or Half Upon a …moreOh, definitely. I'm in the process of reading it, but I loved book one so much. It has a bit of a more serious tone than Story Thieves or Half Upon a Time, but it is so well done and so emotional.(less)

Start your review of The Last Dragon (The Revenge of Magic #2)
TJ
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I think this one dragged a bit in some places, but it still was a fun read.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Fort Fitzgerald lost his father during an attack on Washington, DC. His nightmares about his father give him hope that his father is still alive, and Fort is determined to do anything he can, including risking his own life, to bring his father back. He puts into play a plan involving his friends and magic. Will Fort succeed?

This is the second book of The Revenge of Magic series, and, as is typical of second books in a series, it's a bridge book between a strong beginning and a strong ending. For
Leah Waters
This was a super fun story! Fast-paced with a suspenseful prophecy and full of sneaky twists and turns, it's a great sequel to The Revenge of Magic.

(Also, this author is writing a book in this series every six months! That's so crazy impressive!)
Melanie Dulaney
I received an ARC this book and was excited to read it, but it didn’t take long to realize that I really should’ve read book 1 first. I stuck with it for about 50 pages and had so many questions that I finally had to quit. But my curiosity is piqued and I plan to locate a copy of the first in this intriguing fantasy series.
Heidi
After the disasters that occurred in book one of The Revenge of Magic series, I figured book two would be just as exciting. And I was right. Poor Fort, all he wants is to get his father back. He never intended to end up at a magic school where his actions would nearly result in the Old Ones returning to earth to destroy humanity. After their near escape, Fort and the other magic students have been moved to a back up location. And despite everything that has gone wrong, Fort has been informed tha ...more
Tonja Drecker
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I did not read the beginning of this series, and that was a big mistake. Book two takes off where the first one ends, and it is very difficult to sink into the story without having read the first in the series. In other words, this book is definitely not a stand alone and can not be read without reading book one.

Fast paced and carrying dark tones, this is a read which fantasy friends are sure to enjoy.

It took me quite awhile (more than several chapters) to feel my way into this read,
Mark Baker
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, mystery
It’s been six months since the attack that took Fort’s father from him, but the recent hope that his father might be alive has given Fort a goal. Rescuing him is all Fort thinks about, and now he has a plan to steal the magic book he needs. But complications come from unexpected places, including a new roommate he is expected to spend all his time helping. Then there are the nightmares where the Old One promises Fort his father back in exchange for the last dragon. Can Fort find the last dragon? ...more
Dorine White
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, this is book two in the series and I did not read the first one. Luckily, the author does a great job of releasing info so that the reader fully understands what came before. However, some of the things he mentions seem really cool and I wish I'd read the first book. So my recommendation is to read the first one.

The story starts off with Fort now at the new Oppenheimer school for magical kids. He can't forget that his father was taken in the last book, so the entire theme of this seco
Sammie
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can read my full review on my blog, The Writerly Way, here.

The Last Dragon is book two in the series and has … (spoiler) dragons! This book doubles down on the magic, and the kids have to kick butt and save the world! There are also beasts attacking … but Washington is spared this time. They’re welcome.

My Thoughts:

- We’re back with the same lovable characters from the first, but they seem a little more confident now. This book really tests their friendship, and I understood all sides of
Mark Buxton
My name is Fort, and I'm determined to find a way to rescue my father from the world of the Old Ones. The only downside is betraying my friends and possibly destroying all of humanity. My plan involves stealing the Summoning book and opening a portal to the other world. Unfortunately, opening the portal will also allow monsters to return to Earth and unleash their fury and revenge upon us. That's how my father disappeared in the first place. The tricky part of my plan is trying to master the Sum ...more
Anita McDivitt Barrios
Six months after his last adventure, Fort still hasn't freed his father from the Old Ones. He's still trying to learn more magic, having learned that Healing Magic is the way to beat the Old Ones. Still, he's having a very hard time of it -- he still really only knows two spells, one a simple Healing spell, and creating a Teleportation circle to places he's already seen.

He gets a new roommate at the Oppenheimer School, where teens with a certain birthdate are busy learning magic from the mysteri
Beth Mendelsohn
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
I received this e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This sequel picks up shortly after the events of The Revenge of Magic. The Oppenheimer School has been relocated to another top secret location. Fort is having nightmares about the day his father was taken. The dreams ends with the Old One demanding the location of the last dragon. Fort has no idea where that could be. Cyrus, Fort’s best friend, is being transferred to the U.K. school and Fort is moved
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
The Last Dragon continues on with Fort and the gang causing a bit of mischief and trying their best to save the world. To kind of recap book one Fort finds out after an attach on the monuments where he was with his father that there is a way to do magic. The only thing is that you have to use a certain set of books that the governments around the world found along with the skeleton of a dragon and it's rider. Another thing is that only kids born after discovery day can actually use this magic, b ...more
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss

I've been reading a lot of dragon books this summer because I have a huge number of Tui Sutherland fans. They want a very particular type of dragon book, and this just wasn't it. They don't want things set in the modern world with dragon population declining. Medieval worlds with small dragon populations are okay; it's better if the dragon community is doing well or experiencing a resurgence.

There are lots of impassioned conversations. Perhaps I think a little too much about
Amy
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Dragon, book two from The Revenge of Magic series, is a great read. I loved the first book and this one does not disappoint. Fort’s story is full of action and adventure. I found his determination and courage to be admirable. I had the whole book read in just a few hours.
I am giving The Last Dragon five plus stars. I look forward to the next addition to the series to see what happens next with Fort.
I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
Aurom
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An excellent followup. If Riley wasn't bad with titles and names (though Forscythe works fairly well), he would be right up there with Riordan and Rowling and all the other authors so popular today. The plot expands its horizons in The Last Dragon, delivering information at a reasonable pace whilst still keeping readers on the edge of their seats, physically incapable of lowering the book from their eyes.
Pam
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
The search for the last dragon and the Old ones continues in book 2.
A new character is introduced and hints to his identity are provided along the journey.
Surprise ending with who Gabriel is and who the Last Dragon turns out to be.
Cliffhanger ending to move to Book 3.
Riley's writing style has certainly evolved and he spins out the action and suspense equally. His characters are flawed and human and relatable.
Silver  - Have a great day, you're loved
10/10, would recommend. While definitely different from Riley's other works, I may just like it better than they. And that's saying a lot.

I listened to the audiobook read by Kirby Heybourne, and that just added to the experience. I cannot wait to get my digital hands on the next audiobook, and will definitely reread this one sometime.
Adrianne Lemke
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story quite a bit. The interactions between Fort and his friends seemed realistic considering the situations. I feel bad about what happens at the end, and hope book 3 resolves some of the issues that came up with Fort and his friends (both old and new). What happened at the end made me really look forward to book 3.
Neurocomp
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-fantasy
quite entertaining , nothing extraordinary compared to the previous series J.Riley wrote or the 1st t book of the series. Fun read nonetheless, will read the next one too, which looks to have a better plot even tho i don't like "time" stuff (which happens to be the plot of the book i didn't like in the previous series). Time to read his 1st series.
KYNAN
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IT WAS VERY INTERESTING
Delilah
This book was better than the first! I love this series so much, I cant wait to read the third book when it comes out!
Yapha
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
This second book in the Revenge of Magic series picks up shortly after the first book ends, and is full of just as much action and magic! Read The Revenge of Magic first though. This one doesn't do much explaining of pervious events, which is fine as long as you have read it. A bit darker than Riley's pervious series. Highly recommended for grades 5 & up.

eARC provided by publisher via Edelweiss
Yasmeena
Louise
Sep 21, 2020
Isabelle
Sep 06, 2020

• The Timeless One (The Revenge of Magic Book 4)
  • Villains Rising (The Cloak Society, #2)
  • Fall of Heroes (The Cloak Society, #3)
  • The Cloak Society (The Cloak Society, #1)
  • Magic Required (Wizard for Hire, #3)
  • Predator Vs Prey (Going Wild #2)
  • Apprentice Needed (Wizard for Hire, #2)
  • Night of Dangers (The Adventurers Guild #3)
  • City Spies
  • The End of Infinity (Jack Blank Adventure, #3)
  • Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)
  • The Secret War (Jack Blank Adventure, #2)
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Brandon Mull's Beyonders Trilogy: A World Without Heroes; Seeds of Rebellion; Chasing the Prophecy
  • Twilight of the Elves (The Adventurers Guild #2)
  • Dragon Curse (The Unwanteds Quests, #4)
  • Legacy (Keeper of the Lost Cities #8)
  • Dragonslayer (Wings of Fire: Legends, #2)

The Revenge of Magic (3 books)
  • The Revenge of Magic (The Revenge of Magic, #1)
  • The Future King (The Revenge of Magic, #3)

News & Interviews