Start by marking “Checkpoint Charlie: The Cold War, The Berlin Wall, and the Most Dangerous Place On Earth” as Want to Read:

A powerful, fascinating, and groundbreaking history of Checkpoint Charlie, the famous military gate on the border of East and West Berlin where the United States confronted the USSR during the Cold War.

East Germany committed a billion dollars to the creation of the Berlin Wall in the early 1960s, an eleven-foot-high barrier that consisted of seventy-nine miles of fenc
Published November 5th 2019 by Scribner (first published September 12th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Checkpoint Charlie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Checkpoint Charlie

Start your review of Checkpoint Charlie: The Cold War, The Berlin Wall, and the Most Dangerous Place On Earth
Maine Colonial
I received a free publisher’s review copy via Netgalley

The bookends of this high-level history of Cold War Berlin are the middle-of-the-night surprise building of the first version of the Wall in 1961, and then, in 1989, the announcement of free travel between East and West Germany, resulting in an exultant stream of East Berliners crossing, and not long after, the end of the Wall and the reunification of East and West Germany.

Those bookends are detailed and exciting, fil
Kathy
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I feel this book should be awarded five stars as it is compelling, comprehensive, thoroughly researched and clearly told, but at times the tempo drags with a surfeit of detail. It is, however, a very worthwhile book to read for anyone interested in European history.
The 30th anniversary of the Berlin Wall coming down is approaching - Nov 7, 2019 - a perfect time to read this history of events and collection of eyewitness reports.

I wish my brother would chime in with some of his
Eric
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reviews
TL;DR

Iain MacGregor’s Checkpoint Charlie tracks the history of the Berlin Wall through the people that lived it. This history is rooted in the lives that built, crossed, and brought down the barrier. Highly recommended for history buffs.

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. You can find more of my reviews at my website Primmlife.

Review: Checkpoint Charlie

Ever since I started researching my honeymoon trip to Europe, I’ve become interested in European history. As someon/>/>:
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
‘On August 13 1961, work started on erecting an eleven-foot-high concrete barrier that would ultimately cost a billion dollars and would come to serve as the physical and symbolic division between Eastern and Western Europe. Over the next twenty-eight years, thousands would attempt to scale the Berlin Wall and flee communist East Germany – and more than 100 people would perish.
Checkpoint Charlie stood at the confluence of the arterial routes that ran through the heart of Berlin and was the
Maria
Checkpoint Charlie was one of the three places that Westerners could cross over into East Berlin. And it was also the backdrop of the dramatic showdowns between Russians, East German police and Americans during the Cold War. From 1961-1989, Berlin was a lone outpost in the sea of communism, dependent on a 4 country treaty and ever fearful that one mistake could take the Cold War hot.

Why I started this book: It's been 30 years since the Wall came down. And I'm always eager to read mor
Cristie Underwood
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I have really been enjoying historical non-fiction as of late and this book was a great find! The research was extensive and I learned a lot about this famous military gate, as I hadn't known much about it before reading this book.
Ietrio
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Sounds just like another hungry journalist who has found yet another "the most dangerous place on Earth".
Mark
Candy
Sep 03, 2019

• The Yellow House
  • Grand frère
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About Books: The History and Future of Reading
  • The War of 1812: Conflict for a Continent
  • Cnut the Great
  • Dark Nights: Metal - Dark Knights Rising
  • Retreat from Moscow: A New History of Germany's Winter Campaign, 1941-1942
  • System Failure (Epic Failure Trilogy #3)
  • Raising a Screen-Smart Kid: Embrace the Good and Avoid the Bad in the Digital Age
  • The Second Sleep
  • Trinity: The Treachery and Pursuit of the Most Dangerous Spy in History
  • In My Own Moccasins: A Memoir of Resilience
  • James Madison and the Creation of the American Republic (Library of American Biography Series)
  • Crusaders: The Epic History of the Wars for the Holy Lands
  • The Reality Bubble: Blind Spots, Hidden Truths, and the Dangerous Illusions That Shape Our World
  • Agent Running in the Field