Start by marking “The Okay Witch” as Want to Read:
The Okay Witch

The Okay Witch

Sabrina the Teenage Witch meets Roller Girl in this hilarious, one-of-a-kind graphic novel about a half-witch who has just discovered the truth about herself, her family, and her town and is doing her best to survive middle school now that she knows everything!

Magic is harder than it looks.

Thirteen-year-old Moth Hush loves all things witchy. But she’s about to discover th
Published September 3rd 2019 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about The Okay Witch, please sign up.

Start your review of The Okay Witch
Cristina Monica
I have wanted to read this one for months! It did not disappoint. More serious than I anticipated but there was a decent amount of humour, too. I can't but recommend it if you like witchy stuff.
Steff Pasciuti
| Reader Fox Blog |

The Okay Witch by Emma Steinkellner was more than okay. In fact, it was actually a rather fun and cute book with a bit of an insightful look into the Salem witch hunts. Now, this is definitely more of a kids book and doesn't really get into a lot of the deeper subjects that surround what went on back in those days, but it still touches base on some aspects of the situation. The story follows a young girl called Moth, someone who generally doesn't fit in at school and whos
Jessica
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful from start to finish! All the best elements of story: mystery, magic, humor, a hint of romance, friendship, family relationships, drama, dynamic characters, all combined with charming art to make an excellent Halloweeny story about a brand new witch, her crotchety familiar, her family, and her family secrets.
Melanie  Brinkman
Sometimes okay is more than okay.

Halloween should be the time of year where witches and other "weirdness" is acceptable. But 13 year old Moth Hush knows in real life that isn't true. When some bullies try to ruin her holiday, her powers emerge.

Living in Founders Bluff, Massachusetts comes with a centuries-old history of witch drama, and Moth's family is at the center of it. With the help of a talking cat and an enchanted diary, she finds a hidden witch world. But as she discovers secrets of gene
Joyce
Synopsis:
When an awkward 13-year-old, Moth Hush, discovers that she is descended from a long line of powerful witches; life becomes anything but average. With the help of her mom and a bevy of zany characters; she goes on an awesome adventure to reclaim her heritage.

Review:
I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I initially requested this graphic novel from NetGalley for my 13 yo daughter. While perusing a list of new releases for middle scho
Julie Zantopoulos
This was a really cute middle-grade graphic novel about Moth who is obsessed with witches and dresses up as one on Halloween in the hopes to fly under the radar of bullies. Only, this Halloween, 13 yr old Moth performs her first magic. She's a witch and there's a long history to be shared about her family, her town, and the persecution witches have faced.

This reads like a history lesson in graphic novel form, on witches. It's cute but it gets a bit wordy and homeworky...like "are you paying att
Jenna
A pretty cute graphic novel about witchcraft, family, and discovering your own abilities. Some of it felt a bit rushed at the end, where perhaps just a few thought bubbles could have made it more emotional and dramatic rather than just MAGIC. Similarly, some of the discussion of witches and belonging felt familiar, but that might just be from recently watching Sabrina....

Drawing style had great expressions and eyes, even if the mouths were rather over exaggerated at times. Reminded me of Sarin’s
Connor
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
[3.5 Stars]
Wow I really enjoyed this. I really liked the setting and how Moth grows throughout this story. She's always been an outsider, and then she learns that she really is something different - a witch.

My main issue with this is that the plot moves sooo fast. Graphic novels usually move pretty quickly, but this story would have really benefited from being spread out into a series of graphic novels. It read like an entire season of a TV show was smooshed into a single, short episode. I wou
Lost in Book Land
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hey Everyone!

So this week, no this month, no this season, has a ton of new releases coming out and ya girl is about to be broke from all the books she is trying to buy! So many new titles came out this past Tuesday (Sept 3rd) and I only do a post a day so it was hard to organize all the posts about all the new books but that only means I will have so many posts coming at you guys for the next few weeks! I also still need to post my September list but it is so long!!! The Okay Witch is another re
Beth Cato
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley.

The Okay Witch is more than okay. It's absolutely charming. I adored this book and everything about it--art, story, characters, EVERYTHING. Moth is thirteen and doesn't fit in at school--and when she suddenly discovers she has magical powers, that doesn't exactly help much. This is a story packed with genuine heart. The tone is light, but there are heady issues addressed with a delicate hand. Moth is a wonderful, relatable heroine, but the entire cast
Bookishrealm
Update Here's my full review: https://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot....

This was such a cute graphic novel! I’m so excited for people to check this one out. I have more to say but I think I want to save it for my written blog post. If you like witches, cute and positive friendships then definitely check this one out! Plus the artwork is AMAZING!
Xueting
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I looove the art, it’s so unique and gorgeous, and the colouring is very warm. The story is pretty simple but fun, with some small town mystery and lots of humour mixed in. Magical stuff is always fun and exciting! The climax and ending were rushed though, and the resolution felt too easy and quick.
Samantha W.
Omg so fun, and adorable, and a perfect October graphic novel.

Also, so accurate in terms of 13 year olds talking to their moms about anime. 😂
Lata
4.5 stars. This was a sweet story of a girl discovering she’s a witch, and that she’s part of a a family of witches. Problem is, this was a secret to her, as she lives in a town run by a wealthy family with a history of hunting witches.
While main character Moth Hush is discovering her roots and her powers, she’s also becoming friends with a kind and not confident boy, who also happens to be the son of the current head of the town’s wealthy family.
The story is filled with gentle humour, even whil
Rod Brown
The okay witch book. The characters are charming throughout even if the plot meanders as the story goes on a bit long to reach an inevitable destination.

While I liked the art overall, coloring everyone's noses slightly darker than the rest of their faces was distracting as it gave them all a vaguely doggy appearance.
orangerful
Oh I really hope this becomes a series! I loved the characters and the story and the art style is adorable. Reminded me of Disney films, back when they were hand drawn.
Hannah
May 26, 2019 added it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2019
THE OKAY WITCH is chock-full of humor, heart, and whole lot of magic. Moth, as she learns she is a witch and discovers that she holds the power to decide who she wants to be, empowers readers to embrace their own identities, no matter the quirks. Come for the magic (and the talking cat), stay for the nuanced takes on family, legacies, and growing up.
Dee
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books
The Good Witch was a fun coming of age graphic novel with a quirky protagonist just trying to learn to fit in. But also there is magic! And it deals a lot with family and conflict in those families and trying to figure out who you are. I think it did a really good job of showing what it's like to be in that awkward stage in life when you are just trying to figure out your life and your parents are only giving you one-sided an
USOM
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher. This does not impact my review which is honest and unbiased.

I was instantly intrigued by The Okay Witch. And I was surprised not only with the charming illustration style, but the way Steinkellner is able to balance a story about family, unique history of witches, and people's ability to change. It's one of those graphic novels that has more than meets the eye. Discussing origins, repeating our family's mistakes, and hope, The Okay
Wendi Lee

I loved everything about this book. Moth was a fun, sympathetic protagonist who has never really belonged in her mostly white small town. Her discovery that magic was real felt empowering and special. Even better were her interactions with her mom, a quirky woman who has pretended for years not to be a witch. To me, the heart of this graphic novel was the relationships (at times tenuous) between Moth, her mom, and her grandmother. Who else has powerful witches for family members? What s
Pauline
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved everything about this book!
Brianna - Coffee Books and Bullet Journals
This was a really interesting premise. A thirteen year old girl finds out she's a witch and finds her powers. But the plot was really confusing and jumbled.There were speech bubbles with a lot of text and there was just so much going on and at the same time, nothing really happend. It just didn't work for me.
Susan
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable graphic novel. Friendship, family, magic. Highly recommended
KTReads
Oct 03, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a lot of fun but I just felt like it dragged on way longer than it needed to and I found myself bored towards the end. I didn't connect to the characters and just felt like this was disappointing. :(
Keri
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So cute! I'm obsessed.
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful story of a girl who discovers she is a witch by accident when she hits puberty.

And then discovers that her mother has been alive since the 1600’s, most of that time in another dimension.

And that the town she is in celebrates founders day by reliving the witch trials.

But other than that, she is living a very normal life.

Oh, and did I mention there is a talking cat, who used to be the owner of the business her mother now runs?

The whole thing is delightful, and fun, and witty, and most
l.
The way race is very deliberately not handled is odd. I don’t know the writer but I’m assuming she’s white from how this was just completely glossed over.

I also don’t like the cat. Don’t like that a human spirit is possessing a cat at all. It’s not right.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
J.T.  Yorke
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute story! And it was actually funny to the point where I was cracking up laughing 😄. I want a sequel!
Artemis
'The Okay Witch' is adorable and fun. It is an all-ages standalone (...for now) comic that pays homage to 'Sabrina the Teenage Witch', 'Bewitched', and anything of the nostalgic witchy zeitgeist.

It is a love letter to witch fans, like myself. Except that it is far from traditional, conservative, safe, and white and blonde and male gazey. 'The Okay Witch' attempts to be the very opposite: it deconstructs what we know about witches and witchcraft in mainstream culture; how, like feminism, they ha

• Stargazing
  • Snapdragon
  • Go with the Flow
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Stepping Stones
  • Making Friends: Back to the Drawing Board (Making Friends, #2)
  • When Stars Are Scattered
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Mooncakes
  • Diana: Princess of the Amazons
  • Almost American Girl
  • Camp
  • Doodleville (Doodleville, #1)
  • Nat Enough (Nat Enough #1)
  • Queen of the Sea
  • Click
Emma Steinkellner is an illustrator, cartoonist, and writer based in Los Angeles, CA.

She is the author and illustrator of the middle grade graphic novel The Okay Witch (Aladdin, Fall 2019). The Okay Witch tells the story of 13-year-old Moth Hush, who learns that magic is to be expected when you're a Hush in an adventure that spans centuries, generations, and even worlds as Moth unravels the compl

Articles featuring this book

Want to encourage young readers to keep up their reading habits? Look no further than this year's buzziest YA and middle-grade graphic...
“I was afraid once... And because I was afraid, my magic was weak and full of fear... If you do not trust in yourself, then you shall indeed fall. Trust in yourself, Moth. When you set your magic free, then you shall be free. And your magic shall be all the stronger for it" (P. 184)” 0 likes