Start by marking “The Monster Squad” as Want to Read:
The Monster Squad

The Monster Squad

(Junior Monster Scouts #1)

Get to know the Junior Monster Scouts in this first book in a brand-new chapter book series thats perfect for fans of Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol and Hotel Transylvania!

Wolfy, Franky, and Vampyrathe children of the classic monstersare Junior Monster Scouts. And even though monster is their middle name, these funny fiends just want to help anybody in need, earn their Junior
Published September 3rd 2019 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about The Monster Squad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster Squad

Start your review of The Monster Squad
Jon Nakapalau
The children of Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolfman all belong to Junior Monster Scouts! Very original fun that teaches young children to work together and not judge others just because they are different.
Heidi
Wolfy, Franky, and Vampyra make up the Junior Monster Scouts. Despite being the offspring of famous monsters (Wolf Man, Frankenstein, and Dracula), they are remarkably nice and helpful. They work hard to earn their Junior Scout merit badges. In this first book, the trio sets out to help Peter Piper, a local villager, whose kitten has wandered into the Gloomy Forest and gotten lost. Facing their fears, the four set out to find the poor kitten. Meanwhile, Baron Von Grump is furious with the local ...more
Jessica Rinker
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to read an ARC because I'm married to the author. So I might be biased but these books are SO CUTE! Fun reads that kids are totally going to love.
Sheila
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Frankie, Vampyra, and Wolfie are Junior Monster Scouts. There is trouble in town with an infestation of rats ruining their cheese festival. The townies are moving out and Peter, a young from town, is afraid of the Junior Monster Scouts but they show him otherwise by saving him. He then saves the town. And Dracula gets a bunch of rats in his basement.

I loved this book. It's a great set-up for the series. The kids are great. I love that they have a pledge to help others. And how cool is it to have
NicoleLynn (PopCrunchBoom)
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super cute early chapter book! I loved the fun twist on the traditional monster characters & seeing them work on their merit badges! There was humor but also a sweet story about working together and helping others. This would be a great early chapter book series for readers just starting to read chapter books (probably 1st-3rd grade). I really enjoyed this one & am looking forward to the next book in the series to see what our characters will do next to thwart Baron Von Grump!
Pamela
Vampyra, Wolfie, and Frankie, the children of Dracula, Wolf Man, and Frankenstein, are Junior Monster Scouts and want to earn merit badges and help others. Baron Von Grump hates everything except his violin, his pet crow Edgar, and making plans. The monster children find a crying human boy, Peter the piper, and help him find his missing cat. Meanwhile, the baron is so perturbed by the smiling, noisy, cheese-eating villagers, he makes a plan to get rid of them by sending the rats from his ...more
Erin Buhr
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
This is a cute new series of books about the children of famous monsters. Despite the fact that they are monsters, they are in Junior Monster Scouts to learn how to be good, kind, helpful monsters. In this book (the first in the series) Peter Piper has lost his cat so the Junior Monster Scouts decide to help. Meanwhile, the grumpy Baron Von Grump is trying to clear out the town of all the noisy, happy people. There is a lot going on in this book - the main characters deal with a small mystery ...more
Jessie Drew
Read this with my son.
It was okay.
Mary
This is a cute, funny series opener. Great chapter book for 2nd-3rd grade.
PWRL
Nov 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-new
E
Pam
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received an electronic ARC from Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing.
Children of classic monsters have their own tales to tell. This Monster Scouts group - Wolfy, Franky & Vampira - want to earn merit badges and help others. They're often thwarted by their nemesis, Baron Von Grump (no subtlety to these names). In this book, they attempt to rescue Peter Piper's lost cat.
The concept is interesting but a little overdone. It will probably appeal to younger readers on the characters alone.
Brian
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This was okay. Monsters as Boy scouts that help a kid find his cat and then they all help a village thats overrun with rats. For me, I did not like that the chapters went back and forth between the Grump and the kids because we were reading two chapters a night and we always ended with a Grump chapter.

I did not want to continue the series, but I am not the boss on this one.
Susan
Feb 12, 2020
Tim
Sep 11, 2019
Dakota
rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2020

• Captain Rosalie
  • Wildfire
  • Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • Double Bass Blues
  • Stop! Bot!
  • Stargazing
  • Hair Love
  • The Field Guide to the North American Teenager
  • Mr Penguin and the Lost Treasure (Mr Penguin, #1)
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Henry Heckelbeck Gets a Dragon
  • White Bird
  • Hum and Swish

Junior Monster Scouts (3 books)
  • Crash! Bang! Boo!
  • It's Raining Bats and Frogs!

News & Interviews