Start by marking “An Earthling's Guide to Outer Space: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Black Holes, Dwarf Planets, Aliens, and More” as Want to Read:

Beloved science commentator Bob McDonald takes us on a tour of our galaxy, unraveling the mysteries of the universe and helping us navigate our place among the stars.

How big is our galaxy? Is there life on those distant planets? Are we really made of star dust? And where do stars even come from?

In An Earthlings Guide to Outer Space, we finally have the answers to all
Published October 22nd 2019 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about An Earthling's Guide to Outer Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Earthling's Guide to Outer Space

Start your review of An Earthling's Guide to Outer Space: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Black Holes, Dwarf Planets, Aliens, and More
Tracy
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
More a kids book than anything. I mostly already new quite a bit of the science in this. Quite a few fun experiments to do with a middle schooler interested in science. Might be fun to do while everyone is off due to the pandemic. It took me a while to read. Ive been stress reading my news feed for news about Covid-19. ...more
Ietrio
Oct 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was funny. This isn't. The product of a mediocre mind in the Church of Science. More, the nerve of the title is matched only by a very few religious preachers.

Inside, the current orthodoxy without much thought put in. Is there a "dark matter"? What is it? Is it just an error in the formulas humanity uses to calculate gravity? McDonald "knows" the same way Saint Augustine knows when the soul is installed by the Angelic Tech Inc into the provided fetus.
Steve
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Great beginner's guide to outer space

I enjoyed this book. Bob McDonald writes with a conversational tone`and greatly simplifies the science, so this is an excellent introduction to space exploration. McDonald covers a large amount of material but I never felt overloaded. While McDonald doesnt cover anything that hasnt been covered in many other books, his way of communicating made the book fun, although I did find the writing style a little simple. On the other hand, this may make the book
Nathan
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, science
On camping trips growing up, conversations around the campfire inevitably turned toward the night sky above us. In a lot of ways, this book captures the essence of those conversations about the universe and our place in it. The author's conversational tone makes the concepts easy to digest. This is a great jumping off point for anyone who wants to begin digging a little deeper into general astronomy.
Noelle Walsh
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed reading this book. It had a great conversational tone and is a great way to get introduced to various concepts of space. Anyone looking to learn at least someting about space or looking to introduce someone to space would do well to get this book in my opinion.
Josianne Patrick
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Definitely appreciated the digestible language the author used to describe various aspects of space and space exploration! Enjoyed the humor included at times. My favourite sections had to be the "you try it" parts before the end of each chapter.

*Review posted on NetGalley*
darchildre
Dec 20, 2019
Bill Loxton
Jan 17, 2020

• Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Olive, Again
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • Boy Swallows Universe
  • The World That We Knew
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • A Warning
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • The Wives
  • Space Exploration—A History in 100 Objects
  • Medicine Unbundled: Dispatches from the Indigenous Frontlines
  • A Knock on the Door: The Essential History of Residential Schools from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent, #8)
  • From the Ashes