Start by marking “F*ck Your Diet: And Other Things My Thighs Tell Me” as Want to Read:
F*ck Your Diet: And Other Things My Thighs Tell Me

F*ck Your Diet: And Other Things My Thighs Tell Me

Fans of Issa Rae and Phoebe Robinson will love this collection of laugh-out-loud funny and insightful essays that explore race, feminism, pop culture, and how society reinforces the message that we are nothing without the perfect body.

By the time Chloé Hilliard was 12, she wore a size 12—both shoe and dress—and stood over six feet tall. Fitting in was never an option.
Published January 7th 2020 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about F*ck Your Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about F*ck Your Diet

Start your review of F*ck Your Diet: And Other Things My Thighs Tell Me
Susie Dumond
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this hilarious and refreshing memoir, comedian Chloe Hilliard takes on diet culture and the way society teaches us to think about our bodies. From junk food to the meat industry to standards of beauty, Hilliard has a lot to say, and I loved every word.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Nathalia
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chloe Hilliard pulls no punches with how she's struggled with dieting, weight loss, weight gain, body image, and learning to love the skin that she's in. Each chapters discusses different moments of her life - some of which are painful topics, but she's got a wicked sense of humor to cut the pain. This book is for anyone who's struggled with their weight and has finally decided that it's much better mentally, emotionally, and physically to try and be healthy rather than trying to be thin.
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy) I fully admit I only got a few pages into this book, but I could tell immediately it was not for me. I thought it would be a body positive manifesto and instead it managed to condemn about 12 different foods in the first few pages and seems to ACTUALLY be a book about all the systemic reasons people might be of higher weights......it actually contains the sentence “No one wants to admit it, but a person doesn’t get fat by themselves” in a chapter titled “Diabetes for Breakfast ...more
Sarina
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was expecting a body positive manifesto, but what I got was a funny book exploring why Americans are fat.
“Our food industry will gaslight you into thinking your extra pounds are the result of a lack of self-control and not the addictive additives or empty calories they fill our food with.”
Keep in mind that this book has a blind spot where trauma is concerned. If you’re interested in the link between trauma and weight-gain, I’d read Hunger by Roxane Gay instead.

There are some sticky
Never Without a Book
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 but bumped to 4 because much of what Hilliard experienced with her body struggles, I did as well. This book is worth the read.

Christy
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I usually don't laugh out loud while reading but this book had me at a whole new level. Hilliard weaves her journalism background with her messy childhood to produce a surprisingly well-researched memoir filled with food and admirable naiveté. I loved getting a glimpse into her hilarious, insightful world.
Shannie Sunshine
Dec 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my digital copy in exchange for an honest opinion.

I requested this book because I loved the cover and I loved the title. I TOUGHT it was going to be a book written by someone who has fought with their weight all along and some funny stories might come from it. But this is the book that taught me to look a little closer at the description of the book. I absolutely loved chapter one...and just when I was getting settled into it, my mouth started
Heather Brose
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received an advanced copy of this book from Gallery Books in exchange for an honest review.

"... perfection is overrated and impossible to achieve. Understanding that frees you up to focus on being healthy, unique, and confident. That is my prayer for you."

I really enjoyed reading "F*ck Your Diet: And Other Things My Thighs Tell Me". It was super relatable and educational. I experienced all the emotions while reading this book. I laughed out loud often, became teary eyed at some parts and
Kendall Culbertson
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
"On a bad day, they'd follow up with "I'm trying to lose five pounds." It's always five pounds. I've never been five pounds away from my goal, and if I was, I'd be so happy to be that close that I'd settle for keeping the five pounds."

3.5. This was an enjoyable read, and I identified a lot with the food and weight issues throughout. This book goes much deeper than I expected into the politics, socioeconomics, and racial inequalities that lead to widespread unhealthy lifestyles and lack of care.
Sammie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2019
You can find my full review on my blog, The Writerly Way, here.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Gallery Books for an eARC in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

From the moment I saw the title, I knew I needed to read this book. It clearly spoke to me.
I’m going to confess that I had absolutely no idea who Chloé Hilliard was … and I almost prefer it that way. I mean, yeah, sure, I read books from comedians I know, but sometimes it’s fun just to discover some nonfiction with no pre-judgment or
Jamie Studebaker
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Goodreads for providing a giveaway copy of this book.

Let me start by saying I am a white female in my twenties. That being said, I love this book. I have a complicated relationship with my body and with food. I've been on both ends of the eating disorder spectrum; I've had anorexia and I've had binge eating disorder. I am frequently rubbing holes in the thighs of my jeans. Strangers have assumed that I am pregnant instead of fat. When I saw the title F*ck Your Diet: And Other Things My
Sonia
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Rachel
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Don't judge this book by its cover.

I imagine that because Hilliard, who I'd heard nothing of before getting my hands on a free copy of this book, is known for her comedy the publishers decided on this ridiculous title and cover. It looks and sounds like a pop celebrity memoir, and there's nothing wrong with that genre... but that's not this book at all.

Hilliard's book is part memoir, part research/expose on systemic oppression like racism, fatphobia, misogyny. She covers food deserts, tokenism,
Diane Hernandez
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Chloe Hilliard is a female comedienne who has had it with diets. In fact, F*ck Your Diet.

This is a humorous book describing the author’s journey from fried Southern food to veganism (mostly). Beginning as a young child, Chloe was thick. Chocolate was her first word. She had a “torrid love affair with cereal”. Many of her stories, like being forced to eat everything on her plate because of starving African children, will seem eerily familiar—at least to women of a certain age and girth.

However,
Niamh
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of sorta-memoir that I love. It's personal, it's raw and it's funny. Each essay circumvents history, pop culture, personal memories and anecdotes to bring you stories of Hilliard's life growing up as, what she calls, a 'fat kid' and how she's begun accepting her body and taking care of it in a variety of ways. It's not condescending or judgemental, but shines a light on modern diet culture and the unhealthy ideologies that work amongst it. Hilliard has a casual, conversational ...more
Melissa T
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-sent
I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher, Thank You!
Chloe Hilliard pulls no punches in her memoir with how she's struggled with dieting, weight loss and weight gain, her body image, and learning to love the skin that she's has been given. Each chapter discusses different moments of her life, she has got a great sense of humor to cut the pain that she has gone through. This book is for anyone who has struggled with their weight and have finally decided that it's much better to
Amanda
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: won-in-giveaways
I received a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

While I did enjoy this book more than I expected to, there were times I found myself skimming through entire sections because they focused too much on food rants. The parts that focused more on Chloe's own life experiences were highly enjoyable and inspiring, and I wish there had been more of them. Overall I wouldn't say I disliked the book, but some of it was a bit too broad spectrum for my taste and I would have preferred a more personal
Dre
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved this book. Chloé has a voice and perspective that we need to hear more of. Love how she told her story in conjunction to explaining the history and black perspective at the time of the issue... and she almost made me not want to eat meat when she was talking about an illness of unknown origin that she came down with that doctors thought she was faking until it became visible and how she suspects it was linked to what she was putting in her mouth... namely, meat from antibiotic ...more
Lelia Nebeker
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Her humor comes through in every story, but you really see her background as a journalist as she offers thoroughly researched asides that touch on issues related to America's relationship with food. She uses her own experiences to shed light on racism, socioeconomic issues, and how Western culture views women's bodies. This book has much more sustenance to it than the popcorn and cookies on the cover would lead you to believe!
Jenna Blair
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious - I couldn’t put it down. I loved her recounts (often funny) on her life growing up in the 90’s and working in the 2000’s. She takes us beyond her struggle with food and touches on love, relationships, climbing the cooperate ladder with a little politics thrown in. No matter where you fall on the political spectrum you may learn a thing or two (from the perspective of a strong, smart, black woman in America) and certainly laugh along the way!
Marisha Murphy
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
F*ck Your Diet and Other Things My Thighs Tell Me really is a hilarious collection of conspiracy, culture, confessions. Each essay tells the tale of her life and relationship with food in pieces. I enjoyed the facts she said infused in all her stories. Very relatable, funny, and informative. My favorite combo.
MsWilliamsWorld
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Chloe Hilliard - I have a feeling we're gonna see more from her in the future! What I loved most about this book was the seamless way her journalism background and comedic skills are merged in a way that keeps the reader engaged. It was funny where it needed to be and poignant where it HAD to be. I really dug it!
Lauren Bourke
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-wins, own
Funny and eye opening. Not just an autobiographical journey of a talented woman, but also a highly informative book about the many factors that contribute obesity and body image problems in this country. A serious subject related in a very personal and relatable way that also entertains the reader. I highly recommend.
Paige
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read for all women, but especially for my generation who grew up with Regan's "Presidential Fitness Test," ketchup as a vegetable, parents on fad diets (then and STILL), and being constantly force-fed by your grandmother while she simultaneously fat-shames you.
Amanda M
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a book so fast in my life. I couldnt put it down...I loved every moment of this book. I could relate in so many ways, while also learning several lessons. Chloe Hilliard is hilarious, and I would love to be friends! Wanna come to my birthday party?!? lol
Quanita
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've had this on order for months and was not disappointed. If there is one word to describe it, it is educational. The main takeaway is accept yourself as you are. Deserves more than five stars.
Angie Douglas
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Didn't know who she was when I got the book. I couldn't relate to half of the content. The stuff on body positivity was great though.
Kari
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because the cover made me laugh and I thought it might be funny. The book was pretty good. Funny, intelligent, I enjoyed reading this.
Afriendlylibrarian
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, health
3.5 Interesting facts. Not my kind of humor. Informative.
Julie
Feb 17, 2020 marked it as dnf
Shelves: pub-in-2020
This is not at all the body positive book I thought it would be.

• This Bitter Earth (Sugar Lacey, #2)
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Hero at the Fall (Rebel of the Sands, #3)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Change of Heart
  • The Stationery Shop
  • A Good Cry: What We Learn From Tears and Laughter
  • Are You Sleeping
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • The Universe Is Calling You: Connecting with Essence to Live with Positive Energy, Love, and Power
  • Not So Stories
  • Real Men Knit
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Take Heart, My Child: A Mother's Dream
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir
  • A New Way to Age: The Most Cutting-Edge Advances in Antiaging
Chloé Hilliard is a writer and comedian who first appeared as a semi-finalist on NBC’s Last Comic Standing and went on to appear on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, and more. Prior to her comedy career, she was a culture and entertainment journalist whose work has been featured in The Village Voice, Essence, Vibe, and The Source.

(source: Amazon)