Start by marking “Winterwood” as Want to Read:
Winterwood

Winterwood

Be careful of the dark, dark wood…

Especially the woods surrounding the town of Fir Haven. Some say these woods are magical. Haunted, even.

Rumored to be a witch, only Nora Walker knows the truth. She and the Walker women before her have always shared a special connection with the woods. And it’s this special connection that leads Nora to Oliver Huntsman—the same boy who
Published November 5th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Winterwood, please sign up.
Mara YA Reader It’s not clear but highschool is mentioned and they main characters act about age 16-18
Stephanie It's set in our present day world. Whether you would term it a magical version of our world depends entirely on whether you things ghosts or witches…moreIt's set in our present day world. Whether you would term it a magical version of our world depends entirely on whether you things ghosts or witches actually exist, I suppose. I feel safe marking this as magical realism.(less)

Start your review of Winterwood
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
My teeth are tattering, carrying three different blankets on my shoulders and turning myself into human burrito, still trembling, shaking, feeling the cold in my body and in my soul at the same time after reading this so dark, intense, thrilling, nerve bending, fascinatingly told witch a.k.a Walker a.k.a Moon Girl and lonely, abandoned, sad, sweet green eyed boy’s heart wrenching, bleak, unique love story!

Look at this dark, gorgeous cover which makes you want to lose yourself into those haunted
jessica
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
wow. this story is hauntingly gorgeous, enchantingly mysterious, and supernaturally lovely. this is a magical slow-burn that will have you believing in the inexplicable and admiring the unexpected. i think this book has cast its own spell on me because i honestly cant get over how bewitching the connection between nora and oliver is.

there are some aspects of the story i found to be predicable, but the predicability comes from a place of feeling like i cleverly picked up on the authors subtle
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
November Owlcrate Unboxing! They out freaking did themselves. Click on GOODIES LINK under the pic to see the GOODIES!

GOODIES LINK

Mel
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
The ending made the whole book. Quiet, slow, and intense, with a touch of cold magic. Like a fairy tale.
Chelsea Humphrey
Uff. I really wanted to give this one a higher rating, because the writing is just so beautiful and atmospheric, but the predictability of the plot and the gaping holes in character development left me wanting more. I have heard that the final copy will be different from the ARC I received, and I'm very excited to see what changes are made. It's quite clear that the author is immensely talented, and I enjoyed the dark, oppressive setting so much that I've grabbed her first book from the library ...more
Cassie
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is simply beautiful.

It is a slow burn fairy tale-esque sort of story and I loved it. Nora and Oliver’s story is so, so, so lovely. The setting is rich in atmosphere and is magnificent. The writing is exquisite and lyrical. I loved this story so much.

Expect this story to be slow, but it will absolutely tug at your heart, burrow deep into your soul, and stay there for many moons to come.

I was greedy and requested it from Netgalley first and then Edelweiss. They both came through and
Candace Robinson
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me just say how much I loved The Wicked Deep. LOVED IT! So I was super anxious to get my hands on the author's next stand alone book. More witchy magic!! Oh, and some creepy woods!

Ernshaw just knows how to write so freaking well. I love her words as much as Brenna Yovanoff's, where it sucks me right in and doesn't let go until the end. This book had everything—magic, romance, mystery, and a unique world with great atmospheric scenes.

I liked Nora and Oliver both equally, and found their
Julie Zantopoulos
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, own-it, read-in-2019
"A sleeping forest will allow safe passage. But if it wakes, be prepared to run."

In Shea's sophomore novel we follow Nora who is a Walker witch and has always lived near the Wicker Woods and the lake that borders it. The Walker witches are as old and talked about as the woods, as mysterious and dark. The kids at the camp for wayward boys across the lake whisper about the witches who lure boys away and bury them under their floorboards, about the women whose lovers all die and who never leave,
alana ♡
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Others look at me and see a witch. A girl who is dangerous and fearless and full of dark thoughts. But they don't see the parts of me I keep hidden."

Well folks, she did it again.
Welcome to another beautiful world written by Shea Ernshaw.

Winterwood was one of my most anticipated reads for the second half of 2019 and it definitely didn't let me down. It also further solidified that I have a new auto-buy author who is going to steal all my money in the future, but it's fine, totally fine. I
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.5/5 stars .5

e-ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Let me start this review by saying that Shea Ernshaw could continue to write stories about witches for the rest of her career and I would continue to devour them as they became available to me!

This spellbinding tale following the Walker women (mainly Nora) and their connection to the enchanted forest near their home would have been enough to keep me hooked from page one, but throw in the mystery
Lisa Wolf
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rounding up from 3.5 stars.

It's interesting that the blurb mentions Practical Magic -- I definitely got an Alice Hoffman vibe while reading this story. The language is very lyrical and has that tinge of magic that elevates it above ordinary storytelling.
Walkers cannot trust our own hearts -- our slippy, sloppy bleeding hearts. They are reckless, stupid things. Muscles that beat too fast, that cave inward when they break. Too fragile to be trusted.

The plot itself has a haunting setting -- an
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
I absolutely loved The Wicked Deep, so I have been anxiously waiting for Winterwood... Unfortunately, it was a disappointment. The book dragged on, there was a lot of repetition, the characters were all one dimensional, and I figured out where the story was going within the first few chapters.

I do think the author is a talented writer, and the story had a lot of potential, but it just didn't work. 2 stars.
MariaWitBook
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most beautiful love story I read this year!
Mara YA Reader
I kiss a boy who’s been to the farthest, deepest edge of the Wicker Woods and returned, who tastes like the violent winds that settle over the lake in winter. A boy who is more forest than flesh

What would you do if you found a missing boy in the woods? Snowed in, cold, left to fend for yourself, outcasted and so alone? And you found something that could be yours.

Finders keepers

My lost item found in the woods. Who is now more forest than boy

Nora is a lonely, isolated girl who lives in a lonely,
Lara
My review

After experiencing the illuminative fairytale that was Ernshaw’s Wicked Deep, and being positively surprised by the eeriness of the atmosphere and winsome romance in the book, I expected a similar impression to be made from November’s release Winterwood. This book, although with a similar concept and the idea just didn’t sit right with me - realizing that I was encompassed by a sense of not quite disappointment, more of a dull indifference, which was a shame considering I see this as a
Tara ☽
Jul 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
Me without this book in my hands? A crime.
✨Arielle✨
Dec 31, 2018 marked it as to-read
Edit 2: Shea liked this review. This is now a blessed review. Anyone reading this has my permission to take pictures of their baby next to this review.

Edit: Oh. My. God. We have a cover AND a release date!!! Thank you book lords
---
I'm going crazy waiting for more details, more pleeaseee
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
DNF at page 251

Another case of a gorgeous cover but bad story.

I thought that Ernshaw's debut, The Wicked Deep, was middling. I liked it, but I didn't like lots of other aspects. Such as, it was so romance-y. Which isn't what I like in my books. Some romance is totally fine and I do enjoy it, but I can't handle plots that hinge around plots, the romance makes up all the plot, and the characters are only important because of romance.

And this is the book where that happens.

The plot is... well I
TheYALibrarian
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vee ♔Vee_Bookish♔
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Winterwood really captures the feeling of late 2000s YA, where insta-love was everywhere and every protagonist seemed to spend a whole book whining about how hard their life was. Thw Walker women are incredible witches, gothic and mysterious with unusual abilities, able to charm bees, cry lakes and whisper to spiders. Unfortunately we get saddled with Nora, who is bloody annoying.

The story is vaguely (very vaguely) similar to Beware The Wild, a 5 star read where people go missing in a small town
Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books)
This 5-star rating surprised me. I’ll have to write a full review tomorrow. Right now, I’m just cozily basking in the ending of that book.
Laura Ungureanu
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This book is simply addictive. I couldn't stop, ending up reading 200 pages in a day, which is huge for me. The author's writing style flows as easily as poetry. There were no moments of boredom, everything qas incredibly fast-paced. I'm just going to put The Weeked Deep on my tbr list, where it should have been all along. I didn't expect to like this book at all, but now I feel like I need more books like this one. Isolated cities, witches, creepy forest, let the recommendations come!
Nora
Toya
4.5 stars rounded up!

I had the pleasure of reading The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw last year, and the story absolutely blew me away. When I found out about Winterwood, I could not wait for the opportunity to dive into another one of her richly imagined and beautifully written tales.

Nora Walker comes from a long line of Walker women who have always lived near the dark and mysterious Wicker Woods as well as its surrounding lake. The Walker women are rumored to be witches. Only Nora and her
USOM
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

More like a 3.5

Winterwood is like a winter dream. It's not all iydllic. It's one of those winter scenes where the absolute quiet becomes unnerving, where a twig snaps and your heart jumps into your throat. A world blanketed in white, held hostage by nature. That sentence alone sums up the atmosphere in Winterwood. While you can easily get swept away with the woods, the scent of
Megan ❀
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with Shea Ernshaw's writing. It is so beautiful and lyrical and creates such a strong atmosphere that it's difficult not to feel yourself transported. I'm not always in love with her plots, but her writing is just so strong that from this point forward, I will likely read everything she writes.

I really liked Winterwood. I didn't love it and I'm not sure I'll ever reread it, but I enjoyed my time with it nonetheless. It's a strong sophomore novel and if you
AJ
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok I liked this book way more than I expected.

I will admit that the plot twist was very very predictable. I honestly guessed it within the first few chapters. I like Nora and Oliver together and I thought their almost “instant” connection was cute. I’m a fan of slow burns but sometimes I like when we start off knowing when two peoples “cheeks turn hot” for each other haha

I felt like the world description was a bit repetitive though. I skimmed paragraphs only because I was done reading about how
Elizabeth
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. Part History, Part Spellbook, Part Mystery, Part Magic. It felt like reading Chalice by Robin McKinley, like getting lost again in Cabeswater from the Raven Cycle. It was everything I want from a book. 10/10.
;3
this is like the fifth book in a row i’ve had to dnf bc the characters lacked depth and a personality and the romance was bland ...more
Lila (Hardcover Haven)
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
incredibly atmospheric! it did begin to drag in the second half, but managed to keep me interested enough to push on. definitely a very quiet book, but worth the read on a snowy winter day.
Catherine
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
"In winter, these woods feel like a fairytale suspended in time—the princess forgotten, the hero eaten whole by a noble Fir goblin. The story ended, but no one remembered to burn the haunted forest to the ground."

I really wanted to see what Shea Ernshaw would come up with after her first novel. I gave "only" three stars to The Wicked Deep because, like I said in my review at the time, the background story was more appealing to me. It's really the only reason it didn't get four stars. But it's a

• The Bone Houses
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Songs from the Deep
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • The Memory Thief
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Resurrection Girls
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • Reverie

Shea Ernshaw is the New York Times Bestselling author of THE WICKED DEEP and WINTERWOOD. She is a 2019 Oregon Book Award winner and her debut novel, The Wicked Deep, was an Indie Next Pick.
She often writes late, late, late into the night, enjoys dark woods, scary stories and moonlight on lakes.

You can connect with her here:
www.sheaernshaw.com.
www.twitter.com/SheaErnshaw
“It's like a fairytale suspended in time-the princess forgotten, the hero eaten whole by a noble Fir goblin. The story ended, but no one remembered to burn the haunted forest to the ground.” 2 likes
“Perhaps it's easier: being alone. Building walls. A solitary life with no one to lose. No one to break your heart.” 1 likes