Start by marking “Winterwood” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  7,627 ratings  ·  1,825 reviews
Be careful of the dark, dark wood…

Especially the woods surrounding the town of Fir Haven. Some say these woods are magical. Haunted, even.

Rumored to be a witch, only Nora Walker knows the truth. She and the Walker women before her have always shared a special connection with the woods. And it’s this special connection that leads Nora to Oliver Huntsman—the same boy who d
Published November 5th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Winterwood, please sign up.
Mara YA Mood Reader It’s not clear but highschool is mentioned and they main characters act about age 16-18
Stephanie It's set in our present day world. Whether you would term it a magical version of our world depends entirely on whether you things ghosts or witches a…moreIt's set in our present day world. Whether you would term it a magical version of our world depends entirely on whether you things ghosts or witches actually exist, I suppose. I feel safe marking this as magical realism.(less)

·  7,627 ratings  ·  1,825 reviews

Start your review of Winterwood
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
My teeth are tattering, carrying three different blankets on my shoulders and turning myself into human burrito, still trembling, shaking, feeling the cold in my body and in my soul at the same time after reading this so dark, intense, thrilling, nerve bending, fascinatingly told witch a.k.a Walker a.k.a Moon Girl and lonely, abandoned, sad, sweet green eyed boy’s heart wrenching, bleak, unique love story!

Look at this dark, gorgeous cover which makes you want to lose yourself into those haunted
jessica
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
wow. this story is hauntingly gorgeous, enchantingly mysterious, and supernaturally lovely. this is a magical slow-burn that will have you believing in the inexplicable and admiring the unexpected. i think this book has cast its own spell on me because i honestly cant get over how bewitching the connection between nora and oliver is.

there are some aspects of the story i found to be predicable, but the predicability comes from a place of feeling like i cleverly picked up on the authors subtle hi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
November Owlcrate Unboxing! They out freaking did themselves. Click on GOODIES LINK under the pic to see the GOODIES!

GOODIES LINK

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Chelsea Humphrey
Uff. I really wanted to give this one a higher rating, because the writing is just so beautiful and atmospheric, but the predictability of the plot and the gaping holes in character development left me wanting more. I have heard that the final copy will be different from the ARC I received, and I'm very excited to see what changes are made. It's quite clear that the author is immensely talented, and I enjoyed the dark, oppressive setting so much that I've grabbed her first book from the library ...more
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
The ending made the whole book. Quiet, slow, and intense, with a touch of cold magic. Like a fairy tale.
Mischenko
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Nora Walker is descended from witches. She was told by her family that each of them have their own nightshade, a magical skill, but Nora hasn’t found hers yet; in fact, Nora isn’t even sure of herself anymore. She questions if she has the strength of her ancestors. It isn't always easy living alone with only her mom and wolf, Fin. Nora wonders what her life would be like if she were different and actually had friends.

There’s a boy’s camp nearby, and word has it that one of them has gone missing
Samantha
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars - wonderfully atmospheric and a quick read, but with a twist you can see from a mile away, an overly slow plot, and instalove.
Andrea Ashwood
Maybe I haven't been in my best mood to reading this book. 😅

The beginning was great, I was caught up, but I don't know if it was the book or my state of mind that I started to leave it and I have been reading it gradually until I've finally finished it. I noticed that the author repeat things too many times as if she had to make it clear that we had to focus on that.
And then the two supposed plot twist are reduced to a deduction that you guess at almost 100 pages and is revealed in the last 50
Cassie
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is simply beautiful.

It is a slow burn fairy tale-esque sort of story and I loved it. Nora and Oliver’s story is so, so, so lovely. The setting is rich in atmosphere and is magnificent. The writing is exquisite and lyrical. I loved this story so much.

Expect this story to be slow, but it will absolutely tug at your heart, burrow deep into your soul, and stay there for many moons to come.

I was greedy and requested it from Netgalley first and then Edelweiss. They both came through and pr
Arini
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

this was such a perfect winter read. i was truly in awe with how hauntingly beautiful and atmospheric the writing was, but everything else just fell nothing short of dull. there were also quite a number of repetition of information and sayings which detracted me from the story. i think the young adult me wouldve appreciated this book more than the new adult me.

the characters lacked some depths. if anything i was more enraptured by the wicker woods itself than any of the characters. nora and
Candace Robinson
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me just say how much I loved The Wicked Deep. LOVED IT! So I was super anxious to get my hands on the author's next stand alone book. More witchy magic!! Oh, and some creepy woods!

Ernshaw just knows how to write so freaking well. I love her words as much as Brenna Yovanoff's, where it sucks me right in and doesn't let go until the end. This book had everything—magic, romance, mystery, and a unique world with great atmospheric scenes.

I liked Nora and Oliver both equally, and found their conne
Mara YA Mood Reader
I kiss a boy who’s been to the farthest, deepest edge of the Wicker Woods and returned, who tastes like the violent winds that settle over the lake in winter. A boy who is more forest than flesh

What would you do if you found a missing boy in the woods? Snowed in, cold, left to fend for yourself, outcasted and so alone? And you found something that could be yours.

Finders keepers

My lost item found in the woods. Who is now more forest than boy

Nora is a lonely, isolated girl who lives in a lonely,
Julie Zantopoulos
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, arc, own-it
"A sleeping forest will allow safe passage. But if it wakes, be prepared to run."

In Shea's sophomore novel we follow Nora who is a Walker witch and has always lived near the Wicker Woods and the lake that borders it. The Walker witches are as old and talked about as the woods, as mysterious and dark. The kids at the camp for wayward boys across the lake whisper about the witches who lure boys away and bury them under their floorboards, about the women whose lovers all die and who never leave, no
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I absolutely loved The Wicked Deep, so I have been anxiously waiting for Winterwood... Unfortunately, it was a disappointment. The book dragged on, there was a lot of repetition, the characters were all one dimensional, and I figured out where the story was going within the first few chapters.

I do think the author is a talented writer, and the story had a lot of potential, but it just didn't work. 2 stars.
alana ♡
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Others look at me and see a witch. A girl who is dangerous and fearless and full of dark thoughts. But they don't see the parts of me I keep hidden."

Well folks, she did it again.
Welcome to another beautiful world written by Shea Ernshaw.

Winterwood was one of my most anticipated reads for the second half of 2019 and it definitely didn't let me down. It also further solidified that I have a new auto-buy author who is going to steal all my money in the future, but it's fine, totally fine. I do
Brianna
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75 stars!

Oooo I really enjoyed this book! The first few pages caught my attention right away and I was sucked in so fast. I love books that can grab your attention immediately! It was a real page turner too!

I loved Nora and Oliver. They both seemed like lost souls and found themselves in each other and it was beautiful.

I honestly didn’t see the multiple plot twists coming! I was guessing and guessing what could have possibly happened and I was never right lmao. I also didn’t see that ending co
Kat
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
Wow, this book completely draws you in with its lush, atmospheric writing and its dark setting in the woods out in the cold. I fell in love with Shea Ernshaw’s writing with “The Wicked Deep” and her portrayal of witches and a sinister, almost ordinary low-magic world, and this was similarly delightful with Nora Walker, who collects things, and is rumored to be a witch, combing the cold, barren woods with her wolf, and the lost boy she discovers half frozen in the snow.

Things get creepier as the
Lisa Wolf
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rounding up from 3.5 stars.

It's interesting that the blurb mentions Practical Magic -- I definitely got an Alice Hoffman vibe while reading this story. The language is very lyrical and has that tinge of magic that elevates it above ordinary storytelling.
Walkers cannot trust our own hearts -- our slippy, sloppy bleeding hearts. They are reckless, stupid things. Muscles that beat too fast, that cave inward when they break. Too fragile to be trusted.

The plot itself has a haunting setting -- an isol
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5

e-ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Let me start this review by saying that Shea Ernshaw could continue to write stories about witches for the rest of her career and I would continue to devour them as they became available to me!

This spellbinding tale following the Walker women (mainly Nora) and their connection to the enchanted forest near their home would have been enough to keep me hooked from page one, but throw in the mystery sur
Vee_Bookish // YA Book Blogger
Winterwood really captures the feeling of late 2000s YA, where insta-love was everywhere and every protagonist seemed to spend a whole book whining about how hard their life was. Thw Walker women are incredible witches, gothic and mysterious with unusual abilities, able to charm bees, cry lakes and whisper to spiders. Unfortunately we get saddled with Nora, who is bloody annoying.

The story is vaguely (very vaguely) similar to Beware The Wild, a 5 star read where people go missing in a small town
Mary
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THE GOOD:

* aaaaAAAHHHH *screech*
* okay, now that I got that out of my system, THIS BOOK YOU GUYS
* Shea’s first book, The Wicked Deep, was my favourite book of 2018, so I was sure I’d love this one too and I was right, she’s rapidly becoming one of my favourite authors
* if you love dark fantasy, you need to pick this up
* it’s atmospheric as FUCK and I am so annoyed I didn’t read it on a snowy day in December, because it would have been utter perfection
* witches and creepy woods and lost boys and
Susan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing

The title says it all.

Best described as magical realism, it’s a haunting and beautiful story about a mysterious seventeen year old rumored to be a witch by the townspeople.

The central character accepts how others view her. She’s independent, introspective, and wants nothing more than to follow in the footsteps of her strong women ancestors. She was instantly likable.

Self discovery, pride in family, and part love story, in addition to locating a lost teenager are topics covered. The p
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
Polarthon 2020 🌲❄ Prompt: Cold Word

Finally, FINALLY done. Now I’ve gathered my thoughts 💭 Time to get on with it

I am finally going to attempt to review this. Hang on to your butts for a highly disappointed reader's opinion. It gets 1 highly over-generous star for the brief bit of haunted woods and the cool witchy ancestors

EDIT: Be warned!! This is a highly scathing review! Moreso than I'd intended it to be. #SorryNotSorry

Shea Ernshaw's debut Wicked Deep was a bit slow for me, but I was in a maj
MariaWitBook
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most beautiful love story I read this year!
Arielle Walker
I rather enjoyed The Wicked Deep, in a summer-read casual kind of way. All salt-encrusted eerieness to balance out the fact that it wasn't exactly groundbreaking.

I expected Winterwood to be at least the same, if not better - and after all, I'm almost as much of a sucker for the forest as I am for the sea.

But not so.

There were two major problems I had with the book: one eyeroll-worthy (knock off a star) and one I can't forgive (knock off all the stars, should not have bothered finishing, wanted t
Nasom
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A boy goes missing. A boy dies. Who's to blame?

This was one atmospheric book. Although it's summer rn, reading this took me back to winter. Also Shea Ernshaw is such a gifted writer!

This book is about 2 people: a girl called Nora who is rumoured to be a witch, and a guy called Oliver, who Nora finds in the woods one day but he doesn’t know how he got there.

There is a lot of mystery surrounding oliver . How did he get into the woods? How did he survive in the woods for weeks when it was winter
Angela Staudt
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Because I am more darkness than girl. More winter shadows than August sunlight. We are the daughters of the wood, my grandmother would whisper.”

So, I read this book in one sitting because the writing draws you in and you don’t want to leave this captivating world. I loved Shea Ernshaw’s The Wicked Deep, so I had quite a good feeling this one would be just as good or even better.

Nora Walker our main character is a witch, just as all the Walker women are. They each have a special magical skill, b
TheYALibrarian
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lara
My review

After experiencing the illuminative fairytale that was Ernshaw’s Wicked Deep, and being positively surprised by the eeriness of the atmosphere and winsome romance in the book, I expected a similar impression to be made from November’s release Winterwood. This book, although with a similar concept and the idea just didn’t sit right with me - realizing that I was encompassed by a sense of not quite disappointment, more of a dull indifference, which was a shame considering I see this as a
Simple Porg
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-buying
Nope Nope Nope.

I have several complaints. I thought the ending would put my rating up a star but this book did a nice job of ruining that with more insta-love nonsense. I'm not going to bother with hiding spoilers so if you actually care about spoilers for this book, don't read this.

My complaints
1. Insta love
2. The constant metaphors
3. The characters
4. The ending

I will warn you again that if you don't want spoilers for everything, don't read this. Leave. Now.

I was interested in this book becaus

• Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • Witchy
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Collateral Damage
  • The Wickerlight (The Wren Hunt, #2)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • The Okay Witch
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Find Me Their Bones (Bring Me Their Hearts, #2)

Shea Ernshaw is the New York Times Bestselling author of THE WICKED DEEP, WINTERWOOD, and her forthcoming adult fiction book: A HISTORY OF WILD PLACES (2021). She is a 2019 Oregon Book Award winner, and her debut novel, The Wicked Deep, was an Indie Next Pick.
She often writes late, late, late into the night, enjoys dark woods, scary stories and moonlight on lakes.

You can connect with her here:
www.