Start by marking “Winterwood” as Want to Read:
Winterwood

Winterwood

Be careful of the dark, dark wood…

Especially the woods surrounding the town of Fir Haven. Some say these woods are magical. Haunted, even.

Rumored to be a witch, only Nora Walker knows the truth. She and the Walker women before her have always shared a special connection with the woods. And it’s this special connection that leads Nora to Oliver Huntsman—the same boy who
Published November 5th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Winterwood, please sign up.
Stephanie It's set in our present day world. Whether you would term it a magical version of our world depends entirely on whether you things ghosts or witches…moreIt's set in our present day world. Whether you would term it a magical version of our world depends entirely on whether you things ghosts or witches actually exist, I suppose. I feel safe marking this as magical realism.(less)

Start your review of Winterwood
jessica
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
wow. this story is hauntingly gorgeous, enchantingly mysterious, and supernaturally lovely. this is a magical slow-burn that will have you believing in the inexplicable and admiring the unexpected. i think this book has cast its own spell on me because i honestly cant get over how bewitching the connection between nora and oliver is.

there are some aspects of the story i found to be predicable, but the predicability comes from a place of feeling like i cleverly picked up on the authors subtle
megs_bookrack
On this day, I am blessed!
This most beautiful book arrived in my mailbox today and it is....

Thank you so much, Riveted by Simon Teen, for providing me with a finished copy to read and review!!
Chelsea Humphrey
Uff. I really wanted to give this one a higher rating, because the writing is just so beautiful and atmospheric, but the predictability of the plot and the gaping holes in character development left me wanting more. I have heard that the final copy will be different from the ARC I received, and I'm very excited to see what changes are made. It's quite clear that the author is immensely talented, and I enjoyed the dark, oppressive setting so much that I've grabbed her first book from the library ...more
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
The ending made the whole book. Quiet, slow, and intense, with a touch of cold magic. Like a fairy tale.
Cassie
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is simply beautiful.

It is a slow burn fairy tale-esque sort of story and I loved it. Nora and Oliver’s story is so, so, so lovely. The setting is rich in atmosphere and is magnificent. The writing is exquisite and lyrical. I loved this story so much.

Expect this story to be slow, but it will absolutely tug at your heart, burrow deep into your soul, and stay there for many moons to come.

I was greedy and requested it from Netgalley first and then Edelweiss. They both came through and
Candace Robinson
Let me just say how much I loved The Wicked Deep. LOVED IT! So I was super anxious to get my hands on the author's next stand alone book. More witchy magic!! Oh, and some creepy woods!

Ernshaw just knows how to write so freaking well. I love her words as much as Brenna Yovanoff's, where it sucks me right in and doesn't let go until the end. This book had everything—magic, romance, mystery, and a unique world with great atmospheric scenes.

I liked Nora and Oliver both equally, and found their
Julie Zantopoulos
"A sleeping forest will allow safe passage. But if it wakes, be prepared to run."

In Shea's sophomore novel we follow Nora who is a Walker witch and has always lived near the Wicker Woods and the lake that borders it. The Walker witches are as old and talked about as the woods, as mysterious and dark. The kids at the camp for wayward boys across the lake whisper about the witches who lure boys away and bury them under their floorboards, about the women whose lovers all die and who never leave,
alana ♡
"Others look at me and see a witch. A girl who is dangerous and fearless and full of dark thoughts. But they don't see the parts of me I keep hidden."

Well folks, she did it again.
Welcome to another beautiful world written by Shea Ernshaw.

Winterwood was one of my most anticipated reads for the second half of 2019 and it definitely didn't let me down. It also further solidified that I have a new auto-buy author who is going to steal all my money in the future, but it's fine, totally fine. I
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5/5 stars .5

e-ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Let me start this review by saying that Shea Ernshaw could continue to write stories about witches for the rest of her career and I would continue to devour them as they became available to me!

This spellbinding tale following the Walker women (mainly Nora) and their connection to the enchanted forest near their home would have been enough to keep me hooked from page one, but throw in the mystery
Kristen
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
11/18/19 - REVIEW TIME!

So first of all, A HUGE, GIGANTIC, EARTHSHATTERINGLY BIG thank you to the publishers for reaching out to little old me and offering me a free copy of this, my most anticipated book of all of 2019! I have never before felt like a bookish rockstar but the day I got that email I did. lol They even sent me a nice little pin. I'mma cherish it forever.

Anyway, that being said, this book was a small disappointment for me in the long run. As you can see, I rated it 3 stars - a bit
Lisa Wolf
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rounding up from 3.5 stars.

It's interesting that the blurb mentions Practical Magic -- I definitely got an Alice Hoffman vibe while reading this story. The language is very lyrical and has that tinge of magic that elevates it above ordinary storytelling.
Walkers cannot trust our own hearts -- our slippy, sloppy bleeding hearts. They are reckless, stupid things. Muscles that beat too fast, that cave inward when they break. Too fragile to be trusted.

The plot itself has a haunting setting -- an
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
November Owlcrate Unboxing! They out freaking did themselves. Click on GOODIES LINK under the pic to see the GOODIES!

GOODIES LINK
Tara ☽
Jul 29, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Me without this book in my hands? A crime.
Celia McMahon
3.5*

Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for the chance to review this title ahead of its release date.

When I read THE WICKED DEEP, I knew Shea Ernshaw would become an auto-buy author, so when I saw her sophomore work to review, I jumped at the chance. I'd been following her on Twitter and seeing all the posts she's made about Winterwood before it even had a title and I was PUMPED.

This story follows a girl named Nora, who comes from a long line of magical women. They have always been drawn to
✨Arielle✨
Edit 2: Shea liked this review. This is now a blessed review. Anyone reading this has my permission to take pictures of their baby next to this review.

Edit: Oh. My. God. We have a cover AND a release date!!! Thank you book lords
---
I'm going crazy waiting for more details, more pleeaseee
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
I absolutely loved The Wicked Deep, so I have been anxiously waiting for Winterwood... Unfortunately, it was a disappointment. The book dragged on, there was a lot of repetition, the characters were all one dimensional, and I figured out where the story was going within the first few chapters.

I do think the author is a talented writer, and the story had a lot of potential, but it just didn't work. 2 stars.
Alexis Justine
February 8th, 2019- ooooh, look! Another pretty and mysterious cover! I can’t wait.

June 22nd, 2018- Whatever this is I AM ON BOARD!
Toya
4.5 stars rounded up!

I had the pleasure of reading The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw last year, and the story absolutely blew me away. When I found out about Winterwood, I could not wait for the opportunity to dive into another one of her richly imagined and beautifully written tales.

Nora Walker comes from a long line of Walker women who have always lived near the dark and mysterious Wicker Woods as well as its surrounding lake. The Walker women are rumored to be witches. Only Nora and her
USOM
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

More like a 3.5

Winterwood is like a winter dream. It's not all iydllic. It's one of those winter scenes where the absolute quiet becomes unnerving, where a twig snaps and your heart jumps into your throat. A world blanketed in white, held hostage by nature. That sentence alone sums up the atmosphere in Winterwood. While you can easily get swept away with the woods, the scent of
Lila (Hardcover Haven)
incredibly atmospheric! it did begin to drag in the second half, but managed to keep me interested enough to push on. definitely a very quiet book, but worth the read on a snowy winter day.
Megan ❀
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with Shea Ernshaw's writing. It is so beautiful and lyrical and creates such a strong atmosphere that it's difficult not to feel yourself transported. I'm not always in love with her plots, but her writing is just so strong that from this point forward, I will likely read everything she writes.

I really liked Winterwood. I didn't love it and I'm not sure I'll ever reread it, but I enjoyed my time with it nonetheless. It's a strong sophomore novel and if you
;3
this is like the fifth book in a row i’ve had to dnf bc the characters lacked depth and a personality and the romance was bland ...more
Amber LaShell

Winterwood is Shea Ernshaw's second novel, her first being the New York Times bestselling novel The Wicked Deep. The Wicked Deep was one of my favorite novels of 2018 and I was highly anticipating this one.

Shea Ernshaw's beautifully lyrical writing and an explosive atmosphere are on full display here and I enjoyed reading about the small town that has some really deep woods surrounding it.

However, I have to admit that while I loved the atmosphere and setting, the rest fell a little flat for me.
Sheila Goicea
I received an ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

Content Warning: Death, Murder, Injury

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.
I do not think the forest would be so bright, nor the water so warm, nor love so sweet, if there were no danger in the lakes. --C.S. Lewis

Shea Ernshaw has done it again. She’s captivated my senses and left me yearning for
Catherine
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"In winter, these woods feel like a fairytale suspended in time—the princess forgotten, the hero eaten whole by a noble Fir goblin. The story ended, but no one remembered to burn the haunted forest to the ground."

I really wanted to see what Shea Ernshaw would come up with after her first novel. I gave "only" three stars to The Wicked Deep because, like I said in my review at the time, the background story was more appealing to me. It's really the only reason it didn't get four stars. But it's a
Jes Reads
Very atmospheric, but the characters lack depth for me.
Kaya
Jun 26, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Excuse me what is this and why are all the interesting-sounding books coming out in 2019?
Stacy Fetters
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Can you hear it? The moon is whispering your secrets. It knows your darkest thoughts."

This was my first experience with a book written by Ernshaw and I'm freaking the f**k out!! This book was so good that I finished in a very short period of time. I am so deeply in love with this book. It was dark, haunting, and really unique. My witchy heart is overjoyed with darkness!

Fir Haven is a very small town surrounded by the dark, dark woods. The woods are something that you should always be leary
Leah
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think it's going to workout between me and Shea Ernshaw. One of those it's not you, it's me, but actually it probably is you type of relationships. How do I know this? Because I broke one of my cardinal reading rules to get to the last page.

Full review at Write, Read, Repeat

What rule did I break, you ask? Well. I couldn't put myself through it anymore and skimmed the last half. It's positively sacrilegious! But I'd had enough. I couldn't sit with this

• The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Songs from the Deep
  • The Memory Thief
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • Resurrection Girls
  • Cursed
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • The Grace Year
  • The Tenth Girl
  • House of Salt and Sorrows

Shea Ernshaw is the New York Times Bestselling author of THE WICKED DEEP and WINTERWOOD. She is a 2019 Oregon Book Award winner and her debut novel, The Wicked Deep, was an Indie Next Pick.
She often writes late, late, late into the night, enjoys dark woods, scary stories and moonlight on lakes.

You can connect with her here:
www.sheaernshaw.com.
www.twitter.com/SheaErnshaw
“It's like a fairytale suspended in time-the princess forgotten, the hero eaten whole by a noble Fir goblin. The story ended, but no one remembered to burn the haunted forest to the ground.” 1 likes