Start by marking “24/6” as Want to Read:
24/6

24/6

In 24/6, Tiffany Shlain explores how turning off screens one day a week can work wonders on your brain, body, and soul.

Internet pioneer and renowned filmmaker Tiffany Shlain takes us on a provocative and entertaining journey through time and technology, introducing a strategy for living in our 24/7 world: turning off all screens for twenty-four hours each week. This pract
Published September 24th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about 24/6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 24/6

Start your review of 24/6
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Very, very enjoyable. I've been trying to think of ways to minimize my cell phone and social media use. It's all in our face, all the time. And I know how ironic it is that I'm writing this on my computer and having some screen time. But, it definitely sparked ideas of what I can do and how I can work unplugging into my life.

The only real con for this is that I felt that it went on for too long on other topics. It high
Becki
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, arc
This book came along at just the right time for me. I'm an introvert- I love reading (on my phone!) and listening to podcasts, and I have a drive to keep my brain going all the time.... keep learning, keep growing, keep thinking. I've slowly realized that my brain needs some down time- time to wander, be curious, and gently muse. I've just never made it a priority.

24/6 doesn't shame the reader and it doesn't minimize the importance of technology in our culture, it just welcomes reade
Jessica Carew Kraft
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Living at a slower pace--with fewer demands and more time doing enjoyable activities--is an instant salve for our chronically stressed out times. As Lily Tomlin’s famous joke goes: “For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.”

When our lives get crowded with too many tasks and activities, it’s common to start feeling overwhelmed. Our capacity to handle stress diminishes, and we’re flooded with negative emotions.
Add in technology that allows us to be within reach of employers and acquai
Beth Menendez
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this day and age of way to much access to technology all of the time everywhere we turn, loudly turned up so we all cannot think this book was a giant breath of fresh air. I am immensely intrigued with the idea of a tech shabbat and want to see if my family can start such a thing. It was refreshing to read that we are not alone in no allowing our kids to not have a smart phone, that while we feel like the only people on the planet who have not caved to letting the kids have their own phones I ...more
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Very persuasive. I'd been feeling the need to unplug for a while before happening upon this book at the library. I know that my family is addicted to screens, and I don't like it (myself included.) I like that she gives concrete suggestions by age group for things to do instead of look at your screens. I'm going to try my own version of this.
Candy
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shlain presents a convincing argument for shutting technology down one day a week ... includes a detailed game plan.
Karen
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A deeply felt and wise female perspective of what is happening to our culture

I started listening to this book and could not stop until I was finished. I had no idea there was so much to say about unplugging, digital culture and creativity. I was not expecting such an emotional journey. By the end of the book I was completely wrung out.

The author has an exceptional voice that conveys much humor, warmth and intelligence that I recommend the audio version.
Ramona Mead
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
The core concept of this book is interesting: taking a structured break from technology once a week. Parts were enlightening and inspiring, yet other times I felt I was being lectured by a parent and fear mongered about the dangers of technology. The author digs deep into the areas surrounding her family's choice to take a Tech Shabbat weekly. We get the history of "a day of rest" as well as facts on the benefits of making eye contact and practicing gratitude. Sometimes it felt like she was all ...more
Kitty Verduin
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
24/6 by Tiffany Shlain is by far one of the best books I have read in a while. Her topic is important to all of us in the Western world, and Shlain has a couple of messages that I firmly believe all of us need to hear.

Even though I fully support her different messages throughout the book, I love that she did not bring it across as a 'must do', but more of a "this really works well for me and it might be something for you too". Keep in mind: she actually loves technology and believes all we need
Steve
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I received this book as part of GoodReads' First Reads program.

Everywhere you see them - people on the train staring at their phones, people standing in lines staring at their phones, people in meetings staring at their phones, people walking down the street staring at their phones, people driving while staring at their phones. Almost an entire population addicted to their phones, as if there is anything on there that is actually of value. This book points our the problem
Rashmi
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
24/6 The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week.

The author has made some really salient points on how we should take the day off from our electronic devices and practice the Jewish tradition of Shabbat but relate it to tech devices i.e. 24 hours device free. The author and her family take a 24 hr break from their all of their devices - laptops, iPads, phones and iWatch, etc. They start on Friday evening and reconnect digitally only on Saturday evening. This gives them 24 hours to interac
Sarah Brousseau
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 74/55: 24/6: The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week by Tiffany Shlain. I got this book for my birthday from a dear friend, and then a week or so later found out the author herself was coming to the Indigo location nearest to me to talk about this interesting concept. I got to meet her and she signed my copy! What a thrilling experience! I will have to experience the Tech Shabbat myself soon. A phenomenal read in an era that needs to remember that there was a time not so very long ago that w ...more
Roxanne
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a Goodreads win review. This is an excellent book about unplugging from all your screen devices one day per week. I have family members that are younger than me and they are always on their IPHONE, tablet, IPad, or computer. When you go anywhere with them they are on devices and they never talk to anyone. I think is it making them not have good social skills that they will need in life. When you ask them to get off of their devices they have a meltdown. Kids do not play outside anymore. ...more
Liz
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The increased addiction to and stress created by our smart phones and social media has been a real and growing concern of mine for some time now. Although I certainly see substantial benefits from their use and do not advocate eliminating them entirely, I would like to control their impact in my life without allowing them to control me. This book creates a easily defined method to doing so. I like the idea of a Tech Shabbat. It seems a rational and doable approach that I intend to try. Nothing o ...more
Sharon S
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Conversational, educational, inspirational, informative.

Excellent book about making helpful suggestions to turning off the screen for 24 hours. It's easy to read and easy to follow guidelines for doing this healthy habit.

I've tried it for 2 weeks now and my headaches have subsided. I would highly recommend this book. The writing is interesting too, the author provides an interesting personal perspective to her reasoning for taking a day off of the screen, or off technolog
Jill Vosberg
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is based around unpopular opinions about taking a day of rest specifically from tech. Shabbat is not unfamiliar to me, I’ve read various books about it specifically from the faith perspective. I really enjoyed the practical real deal ways this author talked about why and how. I actually almost liked it more because it was not centered from a faith perspective, but human. It all felt more relatable to me. I enjoyed listening to the emotion from the author on the audio version. There is ...more
J
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tiffany Shlain has a compelling case for a Tech Shabbat. The basic idea of controlling our screens is so important. Every family may not be able to devote a 24 hour period to analog methods but her suggestions are still important and viable in various ways for different people. The joy of looking at the world directly instead of on a screen is now not only a challenge but a very needed commitment.
Her style is easy to read and I enjoyed my time with her and her family while reading the book
Karen
The author covers a wide variety of areas—including psychology, neurology, parenting, interpersonal dynamics, and creativity—that are impacted by how we use (or misuse) our technology. Although some aspects of the book didn't apply to me (I don't use my smartphone like most folks), it still presented lots of intriguing and helpful info on how to manage technology more mindfully. A really thought-provoking book and well worth the read.
Rose
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the idea of completely unplugging from all screens for a day and being completely present. This book is filled with research on the effects screen time has on us both mentally and physically as well as ideas to minimize our overall screen time. It is a wonderful book filled with great advice. Highly recommended.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
Bianca
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i received this as a Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for an honest review. The premise of the book is the author's encouragement of people to take an "electronic sabbath" one day a week. The author goes through several short easy to read and follow chapters. This is completely doable and practical especially in our world filled with such prevalent electronics and our increasing dependence on them
Lara Van Hulzen
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This book is a game changer for me. I have been honoring Sabbath for a little while now, but I plan on adding no screens to my time of rest. I love that this isn't just a book that says, "I do this and it's great." It's filled with all kinds of research and ideas and truth that back up the benefits of living 24/6. This is a must-read for everyone.
Mitch Karunaratne
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Enough research to make a convincing argument and enough practical info to make it realistic! Not rocket science, one of those ‘does what it says on the tin’ books, but I flew through it and was inspired enough to make a concerted effort to change the structure of my relationship with technology and reconnect with some satisfying old school pleasures.
Sherman
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a lot more than just turning your screens off for 24 hrs. It's about our lives today and how we live them. A fantastic book and a must read from a great author and one that I am looking forward to her next book.
JennS
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We are one tech Shabbat in and the whole family claims to love it. Family challah baking didn't hurt and we hope to continue this tradition for years to come. I'm already less likely to pick up my phone on the other six days.
Elizabeth Larson
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it and the concept of going tech free once a week...tried it and it seemed to slow down life...I will be having many more tech free days in my future. There are a lot of great points in this book that I highlighted to reread again and again!
Laura Luzzi
Loved all the ideas. Sounds ideal. However, to really carry this out, I think you have to be a home owner, so you can call the shots. Not everyone is so lucky, but can use some of the ideas and improvise. I liked all the info on how the brain works. Very interesting.
Erin Patterson
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the time we wake to when we head to bed our phones have became an added appendage. The concept of taking a tech shabbat provides a reprieve from the digital madness we are up against daily. Great read! I’m planning to roll out a tech shabbat that is tailored for my family & excited about it!
Leslie Jones
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thought-provoking book! Some excellent suggestions to help reduce the use of social media and cell phones and plug into life!
Teresa
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. I thought it would be another digital minimalism book, but I found the Tech Shabbat fascinating. I'm going to adopt a few of these ideas at home.
Rebecca
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm convinced.

• American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Largo pétalo de mar
  • Inconspicuous Consumption: The Environmental Impact You Don't Know You Have
  • The Queen's Fortune: A Novel of Desiree, Napoleon, and the Dynasty That Outlasted the Empire
  • Disappearing Church: From Cultural Relevance to Gospel Resilience
  • Mr. Nobody
  • The Want-Ad Killer
  • Edward I: A New King Arthur?
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • Henry V: Playboy Prince to Warrior King
  • In Five Years
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Wit
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • Nomad: Living off the Grid and on the Road
  • Reappearing Church: The Hope for Renewal in the Rise of Our Post-Christian Culture