Start by marking “24/6 The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week” as Want to Read:
24/6 The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week

24/6 The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week

In 24/6, Tiffany Shlain explores how turning off screens one day a week can work wonders on your brain, body, and soul.

Internet pioneer and renowned filmmaker Tiffany Shlain takes us on a provocative and entertaining journey through time and technology, introducing a strategy for living in our 24/7 world: turning off all screens for twenty-four hours each week. This pract
Published September 24th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about 24/6 The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 24/6 The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week

Start your review of 24/6 The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week
Rebecca McNutt
24/6 presents a concept that I wholeheartedly agree with. Having just been to the house that my uncle was borrowing for a Christmas party, a house that was reigned by Google and Amazon Alexa, as well as numerous thumbs tapping on cell phones, I think using less technology, or at least not letting it invade every aspect of our lives, is something we all should aspire for. What this book doesn't necessarily realize is that a tech-free day is not a feasible reality for most people. For instance, mu ...more
Candie
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I absolutely loved the idea of this book but I did not really like the book. I love the idea of taking a completely technology free day off every week. I know I definitely use it too much and I have been trying to make a conscious effort to not use it around my small children much or take it with me everywhere on the weekends and to just be more present; but it is hard! It is such a habit to just turn the screen on and check it.

That said, I did not like the writing at all. It seemed like it was
Chris LaTray
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
I chose the audio version of this book for a couple reasons. First, I'm a sucker for people's ideas about getting off tech and social media because I personally find both more and more loathsome the older I get. I feel like I'm in a constant battle for my own soul in the constant push-and-pull that results from deciding to participate in it at all or not (and here I am on a stupid website—owned by Amazon of all people—complaining, so this is me being a hypocrite). Secondly, at a little under fiv ...more
Becki
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, non-fiction
This book came along at just the right time for me. I'm an introvert- I love reading (on my phone!) and listening to podcasts, and I have a drive to keep my brain going all the time.... keep learning, keep growing, keep thinking. I've slowly realized that my brain needs some down time- time to wander, be curious, and gently muse. I've just never made it a priority.

24/6 doesn't shame the reader and it doesn't minimize the importance of technology in our culture, it just welcomes readers to imagin
Caidyn (he/him/his)
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Very, very enjoyable. I've been trying to think of ways to minimize my cell phone and social media use. It's all in our face, all the time. And I know how ironic it is that I'm writing this on my computer and having some screen time. But, it definitely sparked ideas of what I can do and how I can work unplugging into my life.

The only real con for this is that I felt that it went on for too long on other topics. It highlighted resear
Lyne
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf-blah-books
I absolutely love the idea of this book, the reason for giving it ⭐️⭐️⭐️ however, I did not really enjoy reading it. Not my genre and thus did not keep my attention so, unfortunately, I did not finish it..
I totally support the idea of taking a complete day off from technology, once a week. It’s a great idea! However, I feel that especially during this Covid19 pandemic, that I was not the only one who could not disconnect as easily from family members: children, grandchildren and especially, elde
Riley (runtobooks)
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
while most of this book was anecdotal and a bit preachy at moments, the concept of 'techno-shabbat' is something i really want to consider adapting moving into 2020.

i've been thinking a lot the past few weeks about how technology and social media serves me, and if it is serving me in a positive or negative way. i've also been thinking about how my relationship with social media has changed as i've grown.

in 2020, i want to be more mindful about how i use technology. i'm not sure if a full 24-hour
Andrea
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
24/6 is thought provoking and offers society a break from the connectedness that is causing a disconnection.

The following are books, TED talks, etc. that are mentioned in the book but not in the resources section.
Books:
Alone Together by Sherry Turkle
The Five Minute Journal by Alex I
Ramona Mead
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
The core concept of this book is interesting: taking a structured break from technology once a week. Parts were enlightening and inspiring, yet other times I felt I was being lectured by a parent and fear mongered about the dangers of technology. The author digs deep into the areas surrounding her family's choice to take a Tech Shabbat weekly. We get the history of "a day of rest" as well as facts on the benefits of making eye contact and practicing gratitude. Sometimes it felt like she was all ...more
Bryan Hume
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw this book, I thought, “The title already tells me everything I need to know,” and, “Couldn’t this just be a blog post?” Imagine my surprise when I couldn’t put this down.

Shlain writes with a tremendous amount of heart, tying in her Jewish roots, family stories, and individuality. Beyond the “Tech Shabbat” concept, she creates a powerful conversation around going deeper and being human. Her perspectives are balanced, well-researched, and incredibly timely.

Although the “check you
Esosa
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Let’s evolve how we think, live and work. We have to start viewing rest as strength, not a weakness, and reward people for taking care of their bodies and minds, as well as creating infrastructures that support this across socioeconomic strata.”

Tiffany Shlain and her family practice what she calls a Tech Shabbat. From Friday evening to Saturday evening her family go technology free; choosing instead to use this time for some quality family bonding, time spent in nature, hosting friends etc. S
Lara
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
"Is what I am about to do a reflection of who I am? And who I want to be? It turns out taking a moment, a beat before acting impulsively, is a big part of building one's character."

"If we focus on things that are infinite, I believe, we could live our lives more abundantly. Like love: the more you love, the more love there is. And memory: memories of good moments in life grow and expand the more you create space to write and reflect about them. Gratitude also feels boundless. The more I started
C. S.
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A comprehensive how- and why-to.

The actual information can be found in a lot of other recent titles on the topic, like Digital Minimalism and Indistractable, but 24/6 has an emotional depth that the others are lacking. By grounding her practice of a tech-free day once a week in so much ritual and personal history, the author really brings home how the idea can benefit the reader, no matter what they’re own individual circumstances.

For the most part, the book also manages to avoid the slightly s
Lauren Petrullo
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s a novel idea and a clean thought out concept.

The author wove together a cohesive balance of the 24/6 idea, stories to drive home the message, and antidotes to help a reader progress through more the droll content (speaking specifically as a fiction fanatic - usually no love story no interest hahah)

I’ve done two tech Shabbats so far. Yes, I recognize the irony of writing this while I should be on tech Shabbat. However, it is because I’ve communicated my desire to live screen free one day a
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I love love love the idea of the book. Unplug for 24 hours a day each week. Doable with planning and effort. What would that be like! I want to try it.

More presence, more laughing, more appreciating, more eye contact, more day dreaming, more silence, more making, more mistakes, more nature, more rituals, more getting lost, more authentic connecting, more looking up!
Erica Hinders
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I need to finish the few pages at the back about logistics, but I really enjoyed this book. It was easy to read and the idea of rest is so inviting. I’d been contemplating rest and unplugging for awhile so I am glad to have read this. Also, as far as books go to read while the world has slowed due to covid-19, I think it’s a good one.

I appreciate that Shlain isn’t forceful saying “you must absolutely delete all social media.” Rather, it’s more of a turn of notifications/take breaks/figure out w
❀ Susan G
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
A great reminder that we need to put down our technology or take a “tech Shabbat” and enjoy life! This is a book that I will percolate on. Do I get a landline again so that we can be less attached to cell phones? Can we reduce our tech time? Can we commit to a full day of no technology or do we start with small changes? This book shares an important message of connecting with others and putting down that smart phone!
Beth Menendez
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this day and age of way to much access to technology all of the time everywhere we turn, loudly turned up so we all cannot think this book was a giant breath of fresh air. I am immensely intrigued with the idea of a tech shabbat and want to see if my family can start such a thing. It was refreshing to read that we are not alone in no allowing our kids to not have a smart phone, that while we feel like the only people on the planet who have not caved to letting the kids have their own phones I ...more
Sarah Brousseau
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 74/55: 24/6: The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week by Tiffany Shlain. I got this book for my birthday from a dear friend, and then a week or so later found out the author herself was coming to the Indigo location nearest to me to talk about this interesting concept. I got to meet her and she signed my copy! What a thrilling experience! I will have to experience the Tech Shabbat myself soon. A phenomenal read in an era that needs to remember that there was a time not so very long ago that w ...more
Jessica Carew Kraft
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Living at a slower pace--with fewer demands and more time doing enjoyable activities--is an instant salve for our chronically stressed out times. As Lily Tomlin’s famous joke goes: “For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.”

When our lives get crowded with too many tasks and activities, it’s common to start feeling overwhelmed. Our capacity to handle stress diminishes, and we’re flooded with negative emotions.
Add in technology that allows us to be within reach of employers and acquaintances 24/7
Gina Morphy
After reading this book, I’ve realized I really should be reading more of the non-fiction and self-help genre!

‘24/6’ is all about the idea of having one day a week that is screen-free. Tiffany Shlain has dubbed the “Tech Shabbat” to be life-changing in that she spends more quality time with her family and friends, and is more creative and productive altogether. I admire the notion of putting your phones down for a full 24-hour period and the benefits that come along with it. Shlain outlines how
Megan Dormoy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Improve life with less screen-time"

I thought this book was riddled with useful reminders and tips for how to balance technology usage in our lives.

I appreciated the numerous references and research guidance Shlain provided on the topic, as well as her personal anecdotes, even though it was hard to relate to at times.

One of my favorite topics she brought up was the idea of exits and entrances, to think more intentionally about all the interactions you have throughout the day. I think it's a gre
Rachel Lipkin
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have always been interested in finding ways to lessen my screen time but with 24/6 it was really easy to see why I should take some time away from tech (or a tech Shabbat as shlain says) or how my use of tech is detrimental to my overall well being. I feel hopeful now that I have some tools to assist me in setting healthy boundaries with my screens and with how I communicate that going forward.
Amy
Fantastic read-I couldn't put this down. I have read some books about screen time dangers, but this one wasn't putting down screen time entirely, just promoting giving up your phones for one day a week. She shared short chapters of research why and how. It was easy to read. I found so many great things to ponder. It will be a book to go back to again and again. And she inspired me to start our own "tech shabbat". I'm excited to get my family on board. If you have ever thought you or your family ...more
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Very persuasive. I'd been feeling the need to unplug for a while before happening upon this book at the library. I know that my family is addicted to screens, and I don't like it (myself included.) I like that she gives concrete suggestions by age group for things to do instead of look at your screens. I'm going to try my own version of this.
Mahesh Naidu
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good book with some inspiration on how to go Tech-less one day of your week. I found some of the techniques and suggestions useful and am looking forward to put it to use soon. Not using technology for one day a week in entirety might not be practical in many cases but aiming to be close to that will definitely get me somewhere.
Ben Gigone
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
will be unplugging!!!! love this
Danny Merymo
Apr 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
Could have been summed up in a blog post.

Good concept idea to fully disconnect one day out of the week, but the execution of the book a little too scattered.
Kristie Lock
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you have a smart phone you need to read this book.

Time to rethink how much I really "need" to check my phone umpteen times a day.
Thida
Aug 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
I DNF this at 50% because I got the information I wanted to know and I don't want to read any further.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Wives
  • Beyond the Trees: A Journey Alone Across Canada's Arctic
  • The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman
  • The Swallows
  • You Are Awesome: How to Navigate Change, Wrestle with Failure, and Live an Intentional Life
  • Miracles and Other Reasonable Things: A Story of Unlearning and Relearning God
  • It's Not What It Looks Like
  • If I Live to Be 100: Lessons from the Centenarians
  • The Dearly Beloved
  • Horror Stories: A Memoir
  • Finding Christmas
  • Mimi Lee Gets a Clue (A Sassy Cat Mystery #1)
  • Instagram Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Following Fast, Driving Massive Traffic & Generating Predictable Profits
  • What To Do When There's Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 a Minutes Day

News & Interviews