Start by marking “Fly!” as Want to Read:
Fly!

Fly!

“Teague proves that a picture can be worth a thousand words—and almost as many laughs.” —Publishers Weekly (starred review)

“Engaging illustrations and the baby bird’s wild ideas will entertain audiences of all ages.” —Booklist (starred review)

“Funny, feathery finesse.” —Kirkus Reviews (starred review)

Mama bird thinks it’s time for Baby bird’s first flight, but Baby bird has other ideas in this humorous wordl—Kirkus—Booklist—Publishers
Published September 17th 2019 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Fly!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fly!

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A baby bird. A mama bird. It's time for Baby to take wing, and Mama is more than ready to be off to sunnier skies. But Baby would prefer to envision easier ways of making its way through the world....

Mark Teague has created a captivating story in this wordless picture book. It is an ideal introduction to point of view and characterization and making inferences in the classroom. It's so full of fun that every child will want to "read" it again and again.
Baby Bookworm
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is the delightful Fly! by Mark Teague, a wordless tale of a baby bird learning to leave the nest.

In a cozy nest perched in a tree, a baby robin grows from a pink, featherless hatchling to a robust fledgling as its father dutifully feeds it worms. When the time comes for the little birdy to spread its wings, the father encourages his little one to try hopping out onto the tree’s branch. Frustrated, the chick does so… only to tumble to the ground below. W
Erin
Horrifying. I could feel my stress levels rising in sympathy with this bird parent. First, they are trying to feed baby bird, but baby bird doesn't feel like leaving the nest. Eventually, baby bird makes it out of the nest mid-tantrum only to immediately fall out of the tree (because they're tantrumming so hard). Cue bird parent trying to literally save the life of their child while said baby bird is arguing and resisting every step of the way. Parent basically says "Baby: you must fly." Baby bi ...more
Mary
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a wordless picture book where a mama bird and baby bird argue and negotiate about the baby bird learning to fly. there are speech bubbles but they contain only pictures. It is funny watching the mama bird explain about flying South for the winter with the baby bird coming up with ways to get to Florida without flying (ie pogo stick, car, train, skateboard, etc).
Karlen
Beautiful illustrations. Very cute story.
Jason
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lush, detailed acrylic illustration tell the story of a young bird who will say anything (in this story, entirely in pictures) to get out of learning how to fly.
Tasha
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Baby Bird has spent his time having worms delivered right to him in the nest by Mama Bird. So when Mama Bird coaxes him out onto the branch, he throws a bit of a fit. It’s a tantrum big enough to get him out of the nest finally, but it also makes him fall down down down to the ground. Mama Bird encourages him to try to fly back up, but Baby Bird has other ideas. Maybe Mama could carry him or perhaps a hot air balloon? Mama bird warns him that he won’t be able to come along when they migrate to F ...more
Karen
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This mother bird has her feathers full as she tries to convince her unwilling hatchling to leave the nest. When he falls from the branch his mama persuades, cajoles, and threatens in an effort to provoke first flight, but baby responds with arguments that are as difficult to believe as they are not to laugh at. As darkness falls, fear finally stimulates flight, and mother and young cuddle together against the night and cold back in the safety of the nest.

This is a wordless picture book with ima
Rebeca Nelson
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Genre: Picture book: Wordless picture book
Awards: N/A
Audience: Pre-K through 3rd

A. This book does not have any words, and relies entirely on the movement of the characters and settings through illustrations throughout the whole book.
B. The colors transition as the day passes. The mother bird is trying to convince the baby bird that it needs to learn to fly, but as they both become more frustrated with the other, the day gets darker and so do the colors. Another visu
Alicia Thompson
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordless
Ooooh! A five star picture book! We read this three times in a row before bed tonight. We all loved it.

The baby bird is so reminiscent of a toddler that we recognized our own two-year-old's antics in both behavior and mannerisms. Screaming demands over and over. Arms flailing over perceived injustice. Outlandish imagination that turns from endearing to annoying.

The mother's responses are familiar. Coaxing, then nurturing, then indulgent, then impatient. She finally wins with the I'm
Erin Buhr
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
A wordless picture book about a mama bird trying to convince her little one to learn to fly. I have one of these kids - the ones who have an answer for everything and will argue me into the ground - in fact I have two of these kids. Kids will enjoy the humorous ideas the little bird has about alternatives to flying. Parents will relate to the frustration of the mama bird. This is a fun read told mostly in illustrated dialogue bubbles which feels like a fresh storytelling format and is easy to sh ...more
Roben
Mama bird loves taking care of baby bird -- until demands become a little overwhelming. Besides, baby is old enough to leave the nest and start looking for food on their own. Except flight has not quite been mastered. Mama and baby proceed to have a wordless conversation with baby creating imaginative responses to Mama's urging to return to the nest. One last vivid image just might do the trick! Truly delightful and fun.
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This wordless picture book is a joy from start to finish. When baby bird refuses to fly, mama bird gets frustrated by baby's insistence on alternative ways to travel. Teague uses speech bubbles with illustrations as a clever and effective way to encourage readers to participate in the storytelling. Parents everywhere will recognize the willful, exasperating, creative, and oh so adorable child. A favorite picture book of 2019!
Pam
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wordless book.
Engaging illustrations tell the story of a baby bird who does not want to fly. He likes having his mother take care of his needs. One day he accidentally falls from the nest. His mother encourages him to fly back and they engage in a discussion about reality and possibilities. Eventually, mama flies back to the nest. He finally follows and discovers what he can do.
Rebecca
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant wordless picture book from veteran illustrator Mark Teague. I don't want to interfere with anyone's discovery of how this book works, so I won't say too much. Paired readers would have a great time making up dialogue for the story.

Side note: more than one review talks about "mama bird," but Kirkus caught that the red breast of the robin marks it as male -- papa bird!
Amanda
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The momma in me related to this so much--trying to get your child to do something that they NEED to do, and the aforementioned child refusing! despite common sense, years of wisdom, Nature, nurture, and me saying DO IT. Oy vey. This totally followed the arc that I sometimes go through with my children. (haha)

Loved the cuddling at the end.
Sheri
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wordless picture book about a baby bird who will not fly and falls out of the nest. The mother bird and the baby bird have a thought bubble conversation about the need for the baby to fly and get back to the nest. And the illustrations of what the baby wants to happen and what the parent thinks should happen are very funny.
Beverly
Read for the Mock Caldecott voting. Adorable picture book. The chick is just learning to fly...kind of. Mother is supportive but firm and junior has all kinds of high and mighty ideas. It made me chuckle.
Krissy Neddo
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely adding this to my school library. Perfect for my wordless lessons with Kindergarten and inference lessons with older grades. Larger book, crisp illustrations with large white "speech" bubble stand out well for large/small group share.
Savannah Hendricks
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story is without any text so some of the story is up for interpretation. A few pages made zero sense in the direction of what was happening with the bird. Overall, a lot for a child to figure out and many walked away before it was finished.
Peacegal
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic illustrations, and a wordless book that works perfectly. A little bird refuses to learn to fly despite mama's cajoling, and keeps making excuses until he accepts that sometimes we all have to make a leap in life!
Beth
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Told in pictures, a baby bird learns it is time to fly! Excellent!
Melissa
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wordless and awesome. I lol'd several times while reading.
Stephanie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book nearly had me crying I was laughing so hard.
Susan Waltman
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It does not have words but tells the story adorably!! I love the drawings!!
Susan
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This wordless book is the cutest thing I have seen in quite a while.
Melissa Mcavoy
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k, 2nd, 1st, humor, wordless, 2019
Loved this up to the end which was vaguely disappointing - even if I am a parent.
Lindsey
Wordless and we laughed out loud.
Robin
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, picture-books
Humorous wordless picture book about a baby robin reluctant to leave the nest. Illustrations are superb. Recommended for ages 4-7.
Mark Teague has delighted young readers with more than 20 picture books, and he has written many of them himself, including the popular Pigsty, Baby Tamer, and One Halloween Night. He is also the illustrator of Cynthia Rylant's beloved Poppleton series for beginning readers and the best-selling books by Jane Yolen, How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight and How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon.

Mark