Start by marking “Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment” as Want to Read:
Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment

Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment

A New York Times bestseller!

A visit to Washington, DC’s National Portrait Gallery forever alters Parker Curry’s young life when she views First Lady Michelle Obama’s portrait.

When Parker Curry came face-to-face with Amy Sherald’s transcendent portrait of First Lady Michelle Obama at the National Portrait Gallery, she didn’t just see the First Lady of the United States.
Published October 15th 2019 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Parker Looks Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parker Looks Up

Start your review of Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Beautifully illustrated. Heartwarming prose. She came. She stood. She looked up. Adorable and inspiring for all children.
Nicole M. Hewitt
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Parker Looks Up is a sweet story about the little girl whose picture went viral after she was so entranced by Michelle Obama’s portrait at the National Portrait Gallery. If you’re like me, you probably remember the moment and were delighted by the awe you could see in Parker’s face as she stared up at the portrait.

This story is simple, but that makes sense since it’s told from the perspective of a three-year-old.
Shari
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The power of social media! The world looked on as Parker is entranced by Michelle Obama's official portrait in the National Portrait Gallery. We get to enjoy reliving the experience and sharing it with children for years to come.
Beth Wisniewski
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated and inspiring prose! I loved seeing the paintings in the museum through Parker, Gia and Ava's eyes; especially the portrait of First Lady Michelle Obama. Fabulous!
Audrey
Oh wow! My new favorite children's book. It's so perfect in every way!
Ms. B
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture, 2019
Powerful, (view spoiler) I loved it.
Heidi
In this absolutely adorable picture book, a young girl visits the National Portrait Gallery and is inspired by the portrait she sees of former First Lady Michelle Obama. Based on a true experience and told by mother and daughter, Parker Looks Up, reminds readers/listeners of the importance of finding out own mentors or sources of inspiration. Life is hard, especially for all too many young black girls, and it's vitally important for them to find examples to help them grow and keep moving ...more
Abby Johnson
This picture book tale of the moment capture on social media as 2-year-old Parker Curry stood captivated by Michelle Obama's portrait is a testament to the power and importance of representation. It's also a story about a family visiting an art museum and would fit in well with programming about art or museum visits. Pair this with CROWN by Derrick D. Barnes for more books about African American pride or NOT QUITE SNOW WHITE.
Victoria
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a perfect book to end the year with!
Excellent illustrations. A powerful story made all the better because it really happened. Signifies the power of art, museums - and even more importantly seeing YOURSELF represented in that art. A tear-jerker in a happy way.
June
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: African American, DC and Michelle Obama requests
Recommended to June by: Goodreads
Tells the story of the time Parker comes face to face with Michelle Obama's portrait and is spellbound.

Love Amy Sherald's (artist of Michelle's portrait) note.

Cute photo of Parker in a copy of Michelle's dress on the back, though I wish they had included the original photo.
Rod Brown
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Nice enough, but did not quite capture the power of the story that swept the internet and caught my attention for a moment.
Dannie Moore
This book just filled my heart with so much happiness. This? This is why representation matters.
Shoshanna
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sooooooooooo sweet! So inspiring. I love this. <3 Also everyone looks adorable in this book!
Rachel
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Bringing the world of social media into picture book form, has a lovely message but not strong from a literary perspective.
Rebecca
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

How can you not fall in love with this book? Parker is so amazing. Beautifully illustrated and written. Every little girl should have this book. I loved it.
Katie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book and the moment it represents. A little girl seeing herself in a strong and powerful position.
Elizabeth
Awesome story, and I like the illustrations.
Erin Buhr
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
This is about a little girl who is stopped in her tracks by the portrait of First Lady Michelle Obama at the National Portrait Gallery. It is based on Parker's real trip with her mom to the museum and while I feel like some of the set up could have been fictionalized to better grab the reader from the beginning, the book as a whole offers that swelling inspiration this moment held. What Parker feels when she looks up, that inspired awe, is well described and depicted. It's a simple moment in ...more
Ciera
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet book! Not only was the real life moment adorable in the photo that went viral, this book was so equally so! Gorgeous artwork accompanied simple text to hit at the heart of Black Girl Magic whilst focusing on a sweet little girl (Parker) and an icon (Michelle Obama) who could inspire anyone. Lovely art, nice, simple writing, and wonderful sentiment.
Amy Layton
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Wow, okay, even just the thought of writing this review is giving me chills, which just goes to show how beautiful and meaningful and absolutely wonderful this picture book is. When Parker goes to the museum, she sees all sorts of beautiful artworks, but is stunned when she stumbles upon the portrait of First Lady Michelle Obama. This is a riveting story about representation, artwork, and the reworking of what it means to see yourself in others. I would recommend this to any child who struggles ...more
Sabrina Barrientos
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rating:5/5
Awards: n/a
Genre: Diverse literature
Audience:4-8
Summary: Parker and her family take a trip to a museum. What Parker didn’t know is that her seeing Michelle Obama’s portrait for the first time would change her life forever.
Specific Genre prompts:
a.The culture that is being emphasized in this story is black culture.
b.No specific cultural events or customs are discussed. Just a regular family attending the museum on their day off.
c.The author did a great job portraying the culture
Lynn
A lovely picture book about a young African American girl who is thrilled to see Michelle Obama’s portrait in the National Gallery. She believes she’s a queen. The girl was photographed by another visitor and the story became viral. Great news story, beautiful picture book.
Hannah McIver
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Easy-to-read picture book
Awards: N/A
Audience: Kindergarten - 5th grade
Parker goes to a museum with her mother, sister, and friend, and was mesmerized by one specific painting- a portrait of Michelle Obama. For the first time, she saw herself in the painting, and her mind opened up to all of the possibilities for her future; to be an astronaut, a scientist, or even a queen.
A. This book can be classified as an Easy-to-read book because there are not many words, and the illustrations easily
Julie
A great mirror book
Tina
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2020
Beautiful story based on a beautifully captured moment
Jocelin
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A very sweet book about a little girl's trip to the art museum. The illustrations are simply sublime and colorful.
Jeimy
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Parker and her mom bring to life the story of the iconic picture that went on to captivate the former First Lady herself.
Yoselis
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew where this book was going and even though it was predictable, feeling the magic as I read, was not. I felt renewed reading this. Lovely!
This book is super precious and the art style is super cute. The scene when Parker sees Michelle Obama’s portrait and sees possibility brought a tear to my eye. It makes me so happy that this book exists for young Black girls and boys to see they can be anything they want to.
Anthony
On a rainy day, Parker Curry, along with her mother and sister visit the National Portrait Gallery and Smithsonian Art Museum. Parker looks at several pictures and works of art, but there is one she sees as she looks up that inspires her deep down in her soul.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Small in the City
  • Pokko and the Drum
  • Birdsong
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Bad Dog