Start by marking “Accepting the Lance (Liaden Universe, #22)” as Want to Read:
Accepting the Lance (Liaden Universe, #22)

Accepting the Lance

(Liaden Universe #22)

Exiled from Liad after bombing a city to save it from The Department of the Interior’s infernal weapons and plans, Clan Korval has gone to ground on the back-water planet Surebleak, whose people are as untamed as its weather. The old Boss-controlled fiefdoms largely fell to Pat Rin yos’Phelium’s influence, but the world is restive, the influx of outworld lawyers, guns, and
Published December 3rd 2019 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Accepting the Lance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Accepting the Lance

Start your review of Accepting the Lance (Liaden Universe, #22)
Mary Lee
This is the twenty-second novel set in the authors' wonderful Liaden universe, which also encompasses a passel of shorter stories. The books are often described as space opera, which is fine as far as it goes. I would call them character-focused science fiction adventures set against a galactic backdrop. I highly recommend these books collectively and this one in particular. The characters have come to feel like my friends. I love reading and many books give me great pleasure. But the Liaden ...more
Dan
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, liaden-universe
So very good, with so many threads advanced, or resolved. Well worth the cost of the eARC. Lee and Miller just keep getting better at their craft.
Kathleen
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera, liaden
3.5 stars This book was okay but not the best in the series. I've read every book in the series. With this one, I felt annoyed by the obscure writing style, especially in some sections. It felt like the authors were attempting to generate suspense via obfuscation.

Plot rambles. Pace is very slow. Some plot loops are left open, so I expect we'll have another sequel.

Some scenes with the clutch emissary were good. I enjoyed the scenes with the Tree. Predictably, key people didn't die.

Some plot
Beth
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arc, webscription
Nice, wanders a bit but closes off a plot thread.

Spoilerish -- was the ship supposed to be familiar? Like the series that was cut short at another publisher?
Bungluna
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
I have to say that the last few books in this series had begun to pall, as it seemed to me that the authors had introduced such a large cast of characters that the overreaching arc (the Department of the Interior and it's pursuit of Clan Korval) was in danger of getting lost in the chaos.

I'm glad to report that this novel ties up most of the loose ends of the DiI story line, which leaves room to explore other stories, such as the emergence of IA beings into legal society.

The Liaden cast of
Teresa Carrigan
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Excellent addition to the Liaden Universe. Satisfying conclusion, with room for more stories - which is good because the authors have a contract for several more books.

This review is based on reading the eARC edition purchased from Baen.
Eden
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
2019 bk 405. I am going to have to go back and read this again. Accepting the Lance wraps up a number of primary issues in the Liaden Universe - enough that I have to wonder if there will be a #23. The universe has expanded so much that I have lost a few threads and esp. with this one realize that I need to read a couple of books that came before this one. I did like this book, the bedel continue to fascinate me and I missed the children's involvement in this one. Talizea made a few brief ...more
Barb in Maryland
Absolutely marvelous wrap up volume; I loved everything about it.
Kudos to the authors.

I've had a great time over the years with this series. I am so happy that a good friend thrust Partners in Necessity into my hands (20 years ago) and said, "Read this, you will love it." She was right. I loved it and became a fan for life. I've liked some of the books better than others, of course, but I've never been truly disappointed with any of the stories.
The Liadan Universe series is Space Opera at its
Dana Stabenow
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
A very satisfying conclusion that wraps up almost all the threads of the Liaden characters between two covers. If Lee and Miller wanted to leave the story here, they can. Although I have a feeling they're not done with Theo just yet.
Debrac2014
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good! I enjoyed the scenes with the old tech!
MAB  LongBeach
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Accepting the Lance ties up all of the "contemporary" story lines in the Liaden Universe in a satisfying way. Because of that, this is definitely not a good starting place for the series. But those who have been following it should be satisfied.

There is a lot going on here, so many of the ongoing characters are on-stage only briefly, but giving each their full due would drag the book out past enduring. The only thing that feels slighted is in the attack on the Department of the Interior's base.
Kathy Martin
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this 22nd adventure in the Liaden Universe a number of plot threads are tied off. It is a novel filled with changes.

TerraTrade has sent a survey crew to assess Surebleak's potential as a trading hub. However, one of the crew is prejudiced against the planet because Clan Korval has settled there. He is convinced that Clan Korval are pirates who subjugated the world to Korval's desires which is almost true. Nonetheless the current plan is not to make waves while the inspectors are on planet.

But
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Finally it all comes together. Lee and Miller have been showing us parts of the story in each previous book. Now all of those parts and characters come together as the DOI tries to destroy Koval and Surebreak. Lots of tension, danger and suspense as each characters finds their part to play
Bookwirm
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
As with many high number books of a series, there are a number of threads and storylines to follow. Without thorough familiarity of the series, this could make the book a bit confusing. However, an enjoyable story and a resolution that brings many of the threads together again. If you are a fan of Clan Korval, I heartily recommend!
Thea Maia
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A kick ass romp that had me laughing one minute and crying the next.

I don't wish to spoil anything.

What I will say, is that though some VERY big things happen in this book and it almost seemed like a finale in the series because so many threads get tied, it raised so many questions I am going to go right out and re-read the Crystal Variation books. Again. Which is not a bad thing! : )

As a long and very loyal fan of this universe I say that this book is a gift. I thank the authors for it.

I
tiffany johnson
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spectacular as always. Great way to wrap up loose threads. Look forward to many more!
Joy Smith
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lots of characters--old friends and new. (Love the Clutch turtle.) Some I wasn't sure if they were new or I'd forgotten them, but mostly there were reminders and updates. So many favorites--and questions. What does the arrival of the Bedel ship mean? (I worried about that--and Malda.)

Some of the chapters are short as we skip from place to place, ship to ship, and character to character(s). My favorites are The Tree, Yulie Shaper, Jeeves, Diglon Rifle, Stost, Chernak--and others. I can't even
Betsy
This was not one of their best. There were certainly some good parts, especially at the end. But some of the early action, especially among the AI ships, seemed to me that it didn't quite make sense. As if I'd missed some earlier explanation. But I'm sure I didn't.
Louis R.
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love them and can’t even pretend to be impartial

Another great one; the only tiny issue becomes that they have such an array of characters and plots that the pacing can get
Tricky and occasionally confusing. Loved the book though.
Paraphrodite
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Lis Carey
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audiobooks, f-sf
The team sent off to take down the Department of the Interior are running into some interesting challenges--and an unexpected development.

Someone calling themself "Boss Surebleak" has demanded that Boss Conrad and the Road Boss be "retired," in the Surebleak sense, all their property stripped from their families, and those families deported from Surebleak, and Surebleak returned to its "native" laws and customs.

Theo, Bechimo, and crew are working off two serious demerits Theo and Bechimo earned
Julie Herman
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I admit it. I adore Miller and Lee. Honestly, the books just keep getting better, giving long-time readers new understanding of the universe they have built and the characters they have created.

In Accepting the Lance, Clan Korval has its hands full rebuilding trade networks and building new alliances after the Department had them banned from their home planet of Liad. While most of the Department is in disarray, there are still solid threats to be dealt with. If that wasn't enough, old threats
Judy
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library, 2019
Normally I devour Lee & Miller Liaden Universe books in one sitting. With Accepting the Lance I decided to savor it, a chapter or two a night. But it was too delicious and I finally broke down and finished the whole second half at once. For those familiar with the series, it ties up many threads (pun intended) and hints at future issues to be resolved. As much as I love the series, I concur with others regarding new readers: don't start here. We all have our favorite beginnings. My ...more
Tina B
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Don't start with this book, to understand who and what is in this volume you'll need to start several books back in the Liaden Universe series, but this was a great volume.

Several congruent plot lines made significant progress. I would even say it's a book of resolution, except that the groups involved each started a new goal in the midst of wrapping up their current challenges. The frequent POV shifts which have become a staple in the later books of this series are ever present here, but they
Dawn Siemer
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All wrapped up with a neat bow

This book suffers a bit, in my opinion, from too many characters doing too many different things in too many places. There's Val Con and Miri dealing with a plot to discredit Surebleak Port. Theo must handle a potential invasion by independent logics. Rhys and his fellows are at the same time taking the fight to the Department of the Interior. And the Bedel ship says it's coming--only a couple generations late. This could have been 3 different books.

On the positive
Andy Zach
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
In "Accepting the Lance", Sharon Lee wraps up many threads of her 22 volume 'Liaden-verse' series, while still leaving room for future volumes.

Those who haven't read the series, would do well to begin with 'Crystal Soldier'. In this universe, the Liadens are escapees from one universe, under attack from a universe and star destroying force called 'The Enemy" to the Terran universe, where we live. Liadens are physically similar to humans.

In a creative wrinkle, Sharon Lee makes prominent use of
Tim Fay
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been waiting for this book since the 80's.

I first found Agent of Change sometime in the early 80's. I was enthralled with Val Con and Miri 's tale, later in Conflict of Honor I met Shan and Priscilla & co. I realized that I was in the hands of Master Wordsmiths. They reminded me of RAH, James Schmitz, and other Master Craftsmen in the Sci Fi literary field. They all have something in common - they created characters that live in some indefinable way, make you care about them and want
Margaret
Bravo! People complain that the story arc is not contained within one book when we are talking about reading a series book. On the other hand, the payoff is that much greater if you have diligently read all of the previous books in the series sometimes. And this is one of those times. Magnificent!

Accepting the Lance is the direct sequel to Neogenesis. (On the other hand, the next Liaden book will be back to Jethri Gobelyn, the human Trader adopted by a Liaden clan, and will be the direct sequel
Lynn
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun read by some of my favorite authors. I always look forward to reading new entries into the Liaden Universe. This one tied up many loose ends from previous stories and left some to be covered in future books. It also created some new problems that got resolved or set aside for future stories. This was one of my favorite quotes - "The process of change is rarely easy, though it can be exhilarating, even we of the clans of men can be - and often are - troubled by the process. We ...more
Anne Yentsch
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

Looked forward to this book as I have always enjoyed the Liaden universe. But I found myself quite confused about the plot, who was who and what their role was in overcoming the enemy. This occurred about two thirds of way through book. A little more clarity and perhaps fewer characters would have provided more coherence.
Of course, as curious readers familiar with the individuals who have appeared and lived through disparate adventures in the earlier books, we all want to know how
« previous 1 3 next »
Space Opera Fans : Accepting the Lance 4 17 Dec 07, 2019 06:31PM

• Stalwart (Kris Longknife, #19)
  • Seasons: All-New Tales of Valdemar
  • Tomes Apprentice (The Tomes of Kaleria Book 1)
  • A Pause in Space-Time (A Stasis Story #1) (The Stasis Stories)
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Planet Killer (Star Kingdom #6)
  • Resurgence (Foreigner #20)
  • Magic Outside the Box (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #3)
  • Raven's Peace (Peacekeepers of Sol Book 1)
  • To Clear Away The Shadows (RCN, #13)
  • The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
  • The Case of the Spellbound Child (Elemental Masters, #14)
  • Haven Ascendant (Cole & Srexx #3)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #18)
  • Steel Heart: A Jesse Alexander Novel
  • Freehold: Resistance
  • Charms and Death and Explosions (oh my!) (Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #2)
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she

Liaden Universe (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Crystal Soldier (The Great Migration Duology, #1; Liaden Universe, #1)
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2; Liaden Universe, #2)
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Trade Secret (Liaden Universe, #4)
  • Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • Mouse and Dragon (Liaden Universe, #7)
  • Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)
  • Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9)
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)