Start by marking “The Braid” as Want to Read:
The Braid

The Braid

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  11,322 ratings  ·  1,434 reviews
In this unforgettable international bestseller, three women from very different circumstances around the world find their lives intertwined by a single object and discover what connects us—across cultures, across backgrounds, and across borders.

In India, Smita is an untouchable. Desperate to give her daughter an education, she takes her child and flees her small village w
Published September 24th 2019 by Atria Books (first published May 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Braid, please sign up.
Marie PIERRE sans doute oui. mais où te trouves tu ? Je suis en Dordogne pour ma part ;-)

·  11,322 ratings  ·  1,434 reviews

Start your review of The Braid
Diane S ☔
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Just finished under the wire for my women in translation book. Three women, three very different countries and life circumstances.

Smita, in India is of the lowest caste, the untouchables, women who make their living by cleaning, with their hands, the excrement of others. Guilia, in Italy, the oldest daughter of a man who takes the hair of others and fashions them into hairpieces and wigs. Sara, the only female partner in her law firm, has already divorced twice, and us the parent of three child
✨ A ✨
This is a story about three women. Smita, Giulia And Sarah. They are from different countries, different cultures, different classes — but all three are experiencing hard times and have difficult decisions to make.

The Braid has little dialogue but I was always really engaged in all three story lines.

Despite the differences these characters had, they also shared similarities. For instance, their tenacity and how they each confronted the obstacles in their path.

This book was sort of predictable,
Ellinor
The stories of three women are beautifully interwoven in this novel. They are told separately and only losely touch each other at the very end, just like in a real plait. The book is a quick and easy read and left me satisfied somehow. But it is just a little too trivial for my liking and also a bit overhyped: the author is a movie director and so it is no suprise that the film rights are sold already.
Isidora
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, svenska
Maybe this is a good screenplay (the author is screenwriter after all, which you can guess by her style), but as a novel it isn't impressive. On the other hand, it kept me turning the pages, so it can't be completely bad.
Esil
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

I feel like I could write two very different reviews of The Braid.

Version 1: The Braid is a very readable short novel that had me fully engaged from beginning to end. There are three strands to the story which appear to be completely separate but come together in the end – like a braid, of course. The first strand focuses on Samsi who lives in India, and is part of the “untouchable” cast; Samsi desperately wants to give her daughter a better life. The second strand is about Giulia who
Charlotte
Goodness, what a dreadful book ! The kind of novel where you know exactly what is going to happen in the next pages. It is a prectictable story with absolutely no subtlety and a huge amount of good feelings! The 3 main caracters are pure stereotypes of themselves.
I do not understand the success of La Tresse.
Renard Books
Jul 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure, I just finished it because it only had a few pages and I had to practice my French.
This book was horrible. It took me a month to finish it although it only has 230 pages. It is tremendously boring and flat. The three women protagonists had no importance for me, I did not feel any empathy because I never felt that the characters existed, it is one of those books in which the author does not stop being in your mind throughout the reading.
The style was overwhelming, Colombani kept
Carolyn
Many thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for an advance copy of this book which has been an international bestseller. It fits into the classification of Women's literature.

It explores the lives and situations of three very different women, widely separated by social class, work, traditions, culture and geography.

Smita is a young Dalit (untouchable), wife and mother. Her fate was to be born into the often despised lowest caste in India. The Dalit caste performs the most repugnant,
Dreadymorticia
Lazy writing though the premise was interesting
Claire
Three women living completely different lives in three different countries, each facing a monumental change, each determined to confront that change in their own way, once they overcome the obstacle that stands in their way, and the discrimination that exists in their society, that causes some not to support their efforts.

It's written in simple language and has the air of a story being told, almost one I can imagine listening to, or watching on film, rather than being lived in the moment, there
Sahar
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it
How much do you value your hair?

Like the intricately woven strands of a braid, three unique women hailing from three different continents, countries and cultures find their lives inadvertently intertwined after a series of life changing events.

Colombani gives us a peek into the lives of:
* 𝗦𝗺𝗶𝘁𝗮 - An Dalit Hindu latrine cleaner who yearns for her daughter to get an education and escape their “untouchable” dharma/fate.
* 𝗚𝘂𝗶𝗹𝗶𝗮 - A Sicilian Catholic salon worker finding out a dark secret about th
Susan Stuber
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A rather strange book really. The three women involved all have predicaments they need to get out of, and each of these could have been developed into an interesting story. As it is, it is the predicaments themselves that do the carrying here and which have the most interest. The solutions seem to arrive from the heavens like a flash of lightening: wow, so easy, who would have thought of that? Then to tie it all up neatly, it turns out that the three women, who live so far apart and are from suc ...more
Melanie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Abysmally cliché writing; caricatures for characters; and the cheesiest trio of stories I may have ever read. I picked up this book at a train station after finishing the very good "La vie devant soi" (Romain Gary) - what a mistake.
Paul Pessolano
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The Braid” by Laetitia Colombani, published by Atria Paperback.

Category – Fiction/Literature Publication Date – September 24, 2019.

The reader will get a real treat, in fact several treats, when they read this book. First and most important it is an excellent read, it will keep the reader enthralled throughout the book, and it can be read it just a couple of days.

The book tells the story of three women from completely different cultures that have no knowledge of each other but their actions dire
Roberta
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves more than 5 stars. One of the rarest and most beautiful books I have ever read. It restores my faith in humanity. Three women whose lives could not be more different, are forever entwined.
Karin.vanattia
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
These are stories of three women intertwined at the end. The story is moving, written in a beautiful language. It is a fast read and I didn't want to put this book down.
You dive into the lives of these courageous women and it shows how paths can cross our life unexpectedly and how they change it.
Andrea
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so beautifully written. I loved the strength of the 3 women who are the main characters and also the symbolism of the braid that connects the novel.
Onceinabluemoon
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was hard start to my day, the caste system is truly appalling... interesting story of three women who strive to succeed.
Ryo
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Three women, each from very different situation and continent, became connected beautifully at the end. And it wasn't at all obvious how they became connected in the beginning, which drew me into the story. Each woman's story was written delicately and each experience was about strength in women, and it was encouraging and hopeful.
It gave me no uncomfortable feelings that the book was originally written in French and was translated. That was a plus!
Camille
— 3.5 stars —

India, Sicily, Canada.
Smita, Giulia, Sarah.
Three very different women coming from different background, social class, work, traditions, culture and geography.
Three women following three different paths, each facing some hardships, each taking a life changing decision, each trying to overcome the obstacles that stands in their way.
Three women having little to nothing in common except their perseverance, their tenacity.

Three sections of hair slowly interwoven into one braid: La Tress
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
3.5 STARS - I was drawn to this book by its stunning cover art and its premise. This is a story that weaves brief moments in the lives of three women as they confront obstacles, discrimination and restrictions despite their differences in social class, socio-economic status, culture and country.

The story focuses on three women who each show strength as they attempt to rise above what life has thrown at them: Smita, an 'untouchable' in India's lowest caste, Giulia a wig maker in Sicily and Sarah,
Kelsey Agunmadu
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book is an interwoven tale of three women in India, Italy, and Canada. Ultimately, without spoiling, it is the story of hair, and the sacrifice of women. This book is definitely an “under the radar” piece of literary art, and I will recommend for a long time to come. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Note: while the title is listed as Le Tresse, I read the book in English, titled The Braid.
Diana van der Woodsen
This book is just amazing.
Ellie
Aug 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked reading about the three women’s lives, but I was hoping that their stories would be more intertwined. It kind of felt like three separate stories to me, and I also thought the ending was a little rushed. Still enjoyed it though!
Andrea Vlasic
An easy reading, but not too interesting. I expected so much more than connecting three women through one braid.
Chiara Villani
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-novels
I absolutely loved how the author braided a heartwarming story out of the so different lives of these three strong women! Will definitely read more novels from Laetitia Colombani after this one!
Ann-Marie
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The Braid" is the kind of book that leaves me feeling satisfied and able to see the world as it truly is, an interconnected, organic whole.
Three women, one a well-to-do Canadian, one a working class Sicilian, and the third an unclean lowest caste woman in India are all facing crises in their lives. Each one calls on internal reserves of strengths she didn't know she had, and without ever meeting or even hearing of each other touch each other's lives in a single gift that propels all of them in
Nadzeya
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a nice quick read about three women from completely different parts of the world, their struggles and battles, the choices they make and how their choices eventually connect them together, however small that connection was. This book is a great tribute to all strong women of this world who do not give up, no matter what life throws at them. It touches you on personal level, with stories of these women so similar to many others. Writing flows nicely, which, in part is due to a great tran ...more
Janet
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it

When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

In this unforgettable international bestseller, three women from very di
Krutika Puranik
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The Braid.

I picked up this book on a whim. I did not read the blurb or reviews but simply chose it amidst many other books sitting on a bookshelf. The Braid is written by Laetitia who is a screenwriter and director. Perhaps this is why one can actually picture this book being made into a movie. The narration is simple which makes it easier for a beginner to enjoy it. It's feminine, fragile and makes you wish that it was a bit lengthy. The Braid is the story of victory be it small or big.

There
Goodreads Librari...: Could you please combine those books? 6 16 Apr 20, 2020 06:47AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page number - 9788416310272 2 20 Mar 25, 2019 12:39PM

• Changer l'eau des fleurs
  • Les Oubliés du dimanche
  • Les Loyautés
  • Les gratitudes
  • Il est grand temps de rallumer les étoiles
  • Tout le bleu du ciel
  • La Vraie Vie
  • Le Bal des folles
  • La Chambre des merveilles
  • Was man von hier aus sehen kann
  • Petit pays
  • Le premier jour du reste de ma vie
  • Le parfum du bonheur est plus fort sous la pluie
  • Deux sœurs
  • Les Choses humaines
  • Quand nos souvenirs viendront danser
  • Vers la beauté
Laetitia Colombani est une réalisatrice, actrice, scénariste et écrivaine française.

Après deux années de classe préparatoire Cinésup à Nantes, elle entre à l’École Nationale Supérieure Louis Lumière. Elle obtient son diplôme en 1998.

Elle écrit et réalise des courts-métrages, puis deux longs-métrages : "À la folie... pas du tout (2002) avec Audrey Tautou, Samuel le Bihan et Isabelle Carré, qui rem

News & Interviews

“Elle ne sera plus jamais invincible, plus jamais une super-héroïne. Elle sera elle, Sarah, une femme que la vie a malmenée, entamée, mais elle sera là, avec ses cicatrices, ses failles et ses blessures. Elle ne cherchera plus à les cacher. Sa vie d’avant était un mensonge, celle-ci sera la vraie.” 1 likes
“Ne laisse personne te détourner de ton chemin, lui répond-il. Tu dois garder la foi. Ta volonté est grande. Je crois en ta force, en tes capacités. Tu dois persévérer. La vie a prévu de grandes choses pour toi.” 0 likes