Start by marking “The Braid” as Want to Read:
The Braid

The Braid

In this unforgettable international bestseller, three women from very different circumstances around the world find their lives intertwined by a single object and discover what connects us—across cultures, across backgrounds, and across borders.

In India, Smita is an untouchable. Desperate to give her daughter an education, she takes her child and flees her small village w
Expected publication: September 24th 2019 by Atria Books (first published May 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Braid, please sign up.
Marie PIERRE sans doute oui. mais où te trouves tu ? Je suis en Dordogne pour ma part ;-)

Ellinor
The stories of three women are beautifully interwoven in this novel. They are told separately and only losely touch each other at the very end, just like in a real plait. The book is a quick and easy read and left me satisfied somehow. But it is just a little too trivial for my liking and also a bit overhyped: the author is a movie director and so it is no suprise that the film rights are sold already.
Isidora
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, svenska
Maybe this is a good screenplay (the author is screenwriter after all, which you can guess by her style), but as a novel it isn't impressive. On the other hand, it kept me turning the pages, so it can't be completely bad.
Claire McAlpine
Three women living completely different lives in three different countries, each facing a monumental change, each determined to confront that change in their own way, once they overcome the obstacle that stands in their way, and the discrimination that exists in their society, that causes some not to support their efforts.

It's written in simple language and has the air of a story being told, almost one I can imagine listening to, or watching on film, rather than being lived in the moment, there
Diana van der Woodsen
This book is just amazing.
Charlotte Nobbs
Goodness, what a dreadful book ! The kind of novel where you know exactly what is going to happen in the next pages. It is a prectictable story with absolutely no subtlety and a huge amount of good feelings! The 3 main caracters are pure stereotypes of themselves.
I do not understand the success of La Tresse.
Melanie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Abysmally cliché writing; caricatures for characters; and the cheesiest trio of stories I may have ever read. I picked up this book at a train station after finishing the very good "La vie devant soi" (Romain Gary) - what a mistake.
Anne Goodwin
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translations
Smita is determined to save her daughter from the life she’s had, as a Dalit woman collecting rich people’s shit in a village in Uttar Pradesh. Guila is forced to take the reins of her family’s wig-making business in Palermo when her father is seriously injured. Sarah, a highflying Montréal lawyer and single mother of three, finds herself sidelined when she’s treated for cancer. Seemingly worlds apart, these three women’s stories are eventually braided together in a manner that might be intended ...more
Sarah Husain
Not what I was expecting in terms of a book that linked the stories of three women but their experiences showed a range of hardships women endure, no matter what walk of life you come from. However it was not the best writing and felt like it got too much praise for what it was. Also it was a bit long and could’ve accomplished the same goal in less pages.
Dani
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why so short, Laetitia?? That was the only flaw, that there should have been 200 pages more... Please please more like this!
Dreadymorticia
Lazy writing though the premise was interesting
Anne Fassotte
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a lot of surprises in this book, either in terms of style or where the characters are concerned, but a nice, easy-to-read story about three very strong women.
Han
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the stories first captivate me as I am a woman.
A woman somehow can feel a bonding with other women and that was the reason why my heart shivered whilst keep flipping over the pages. In this case, it is more to "The braid" than just stories, it embodied the history of feminist. By "feminist" I mean, soldiers who are women, who have one same female ancestor. Thus we give aid to each other, this is the intrinsic belief and also, a lesson, of which Laetitia used the symbol of "The braid" to articula
Jana
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to this book but was left quite disappointed.

First, the things I liked. I liked the general idea of the book of connecting the stories of three different women from completely different continents, cultures and religions. It could have made for an amazing book. I also loved the book cover, well done to whoever decided on that, because it was the first thing that drew me in before even reading the title or synopsis it is that gorgeous.

Now on the things I didn't enjoy
Jiaqi
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
my boyfriend's mom gifted me this for xmas and said it was her favorite book so monique if you ever read this review..... i am so sorry. my dislike of this book does not in any way reflect my judgement of your taste, even though you recommended we see the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society and that was also a bad movie

soppy melodramatic kitsch, like someone read khaled hosseini in a fever dream and decided to do their own version to ride on his coattails even though A Thousand Splendi
Julia
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Margaliti
Mar 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book in the Kobo store and was lured by the five stars and the glowing reviews. Unfortunately I don't share these and I honestly don't understand why people think this is a fantastic book. Yes, the three stories have the potential to be interesting, yet something irritated me about them. I felt like I was reading a children's book, but it took me a while to figure out what gave me that feeling. It isn't that the story lines are childish, certainly not. It's also not in the voc ...more
Lynn
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
What is the improbable connection between these three women?

• Smita in India, of the lowest caste, an untouchable, whose lot in life is to daily clean the latrines of the higher castes. She wishes a better life for her daughter, and is willing to risk everything to achieve this goal.
• Guilia lives in Italy, and works for her father who owns and operates a wig shop, where hair is bleached and cleaned and dyed to meet demand.
• Sarah is a dynamic lawyer whose job is all-consuming; little of her i
Barbara
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story that binds together three stories of resilience from three woman who one day decide to act on their fate. La Tresse is as beautiful and strong as the woman spirit is the face of adversity. Each woman fighting for herself but more importantly to give hope and a message of purpose to their suffering.
Currently being translated in many languages, it will most likely resonate with many.
A scenario will most likely emerge and if some may find it easy this book is finding a large audience.
Susan Stuber
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A rather strange book really. The three women involved all have predicaments they need to get out of, and each of these could have been developed into an interesting story. As it is, it is the predicaments themselves that do the carrying here and which have the most interest. The solutions seem to arrive from the heavens like a flash of lightening: wow, so easy, who would have thought of that? Then to tie it all up neatly, it turns out that the three women, who live so far apart and are from suc ...more
Anna Lemberkova
If book is introducing new topic to me I usually feel grateful for reading and overall rate the book well. Hair processing and peruke production create savvy linkage for stories of three women who get through breakout moments of their lifes. These moments require inner faith and strong will to overcome social stereotypes, family expectations or just own ego.
I enjoyed reading and not being overdescriptions in the first half of book, I would rate 4 stars (top books in my regular rating range :-)).
Katharina
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story and lovely characters, I really enjoyed this one. I have heard lots about this book, but since it is orginially a french book, I decided to listen to the french audio book, which is read partly by the author herself. The audio book was extremly well done, very nice and easy to listen too.
Would 100% recommend this book, as it portrays womens' struggles in different countries and societies. Yet the book is not too cliche, but protrays three women and their stories in a lovely, edu
Sandrine
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5. I really love this book. Three women in three different countries, and although they live very differently they are all hard-working women . Although they do not know each other, their lives will always be linked in some positive ways. I did like the originality of the subject, the emotions I could feel for each of them due to their own story. Hard breaking at times, written simply but beautifully, with vivid descriptions . I truly recommend it , and I have not doubt it will be very popul ...more
Jen
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my wishlist ever since I read the blurb for it, I was intrigued. It did not disappoint. I listened to it (Audible) and the narration was great. The story follows 4 women from different parts of the world and circumstances who are, unbeknown to each other, united by a braid of hair. It is a book about courage, in particular of women, in the face of different kinds of adversity Highly recommended. A new addition to my 2019 favourites shelf.
Sila.Loves.Books
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
I really enyojed the book with the three storys of strong women, who gave me inspiration for my mental-thinking.
The three storys were connected with each other, so it wasn't confusing to read.
Also, the writing-style is very easy and fast to read, which doesn't mean that the author didin't brought all the aspects of the story.
More the opposite, it was very clear and a beautiful complete work.

Thank you for the great work, Laetitia Colombani!

Ieva
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Strong points of this book: it is a page turner, the stories are built in the way that you always want to know what happens next.
Weak points of this book: the stories are a bit naïve sometimes, and predictable. And I'm not convinced by the link that relates all stories together that we discover in the end, it sounds a bit fake to me.
Angelique
A good little read. I can't believe I didn't see how all the stories WERE GOING TO BE WOVEN TOGETHER...sort of like a BRAID?

The poetry wasn't great - and unnecessary, but realise now this is because it's translated and poetry doesn't work as well via translation.

The characters sprung off the pages and it was a solid little read.
Lisa
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2,5

The three stories in this book are intertwined in such a simple way.
I'm a bit sad that these three women didn't really get to know each other during the book (even if it was predictable).

All in all, it was a quick and easy read. But I think that the book was a bit overhyped when it was released.
Nina 321
Three intertwined stories but the intertwiningness doesn't creep up on you until the last 30 pages and then it's a delight. I was pulled into the individual stories of the Dalit woman in India and her unflailing quest to rescue her daughter from a life of illiterate drudgery, of the Canadian hot-shot lawyer whose life is shaken by her health crisis, and of the Sicilian daughter of a small manufacturer who tries to save her father's legacy. I wolfed this down.

Format: I read the German translation
Yanina
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first French book in a few years, and what a treat this was. Every sentence rolls off your tongue like velvet. Colombani is able to create distinct, multi-layered characters: a feat that few fictional authors can take credit for. I was absorbed by all three sub-plots, and was touched by the underlying themes.
Shukti Chaudhuri-brill
The book weaves together the lives of three women just as a braid is woven from three strands. The stories are well told and the characters are sympathetic, but it is all a bit predictable. There are some strange discrepancies as far as the lives of the Indian characters go. But an enjoyable read.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page number - 9788416310272 2 16 Mar 25, 2019 07:39PM

• Entre ciel et Lou
  • Der Schatten
  • En attendant Bojangles
  • Ta voix dans la nuit
  • Autour d'elle
  • Les Loyautés
  • Quai d'Orsay. Chroniques diplomatiques, tome 2
  • La Vie rêvée d'Ernesto G.
  • L'autre fille
  • Les prénoms épicènes
  • La consolante
  • Le Quatrième Mur
  • The Girl Who Married the Moon: Tales from Native North America
  • La page blanche
  • La Comtesse de Cagliostro (Arsène Lupin, #12)
  • Innan floden tar oss
  • Les cahiers d'Esther : Histoires de mes 10 ans (Tome 1)
  • Le Déchronologue
Laetitia Colombani est une réalisatrice, actrice, scénariste et écrivaine française.

Après deux années de classe préparatoire Cinésup à Nantes, elle entre à l’École Nationale Supérieure Louis Lumière. Elle obtient son diplôme en 1998.

Elle écrit et réalise des courts-métrages, puis deux longs-métrages : "À la folie... pas du tout (2002) avec Audrey Tautou, Samuel le Bihan et Isabelle Carré, qui rem
“Elle ne sera plus jamais invincible, plus jamais une super-héroïne. Elle sera elle, Sarah, une femme que la vie a malmenée, entamée, mais elle sera là, avec ses cicatrices, ses failles et ses blessures. Elle ne cherchera plus à les cacher. Sa vie d’avant était un mensonge, celle-ci sera la vraie.” 1 likes
“Ne laisse personne te détourner de ton chemin, lui répond-il. Tu dois garder la foi. Ta volonté est grande. Je crois en ta force, en tes capacités. Tu dois persévérer. La vie a prévu de grandes choses pour toi.” 0 likes