Start by marking “The Braid” as Want to Read:
The Braid

The Braid

In this unforgettable international bestseller, three women from very different circumstances around the world find their lives intertwined by a single object and discover what connects us—across cultures, across backgrounds, and across borders.

In India, Smita is an untouchable. Desperate to give her daughter an education, she takes her child and flees her small village w
Expected publication: September 24th 2019 by Atria Books (first published May 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Braid, please sign up.
Marie PIERRE sans doute oui. mais où te trouves tu ? Je suis en Dordogne pour ma part ;-)

Diane S ☔
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Just finished under the wire for my women in translation book. Three women, three very different countries and life circumstances.

Smita, in India is of the lowest caste, the untouchables, women who make their living by cleaning, with their hands, the excrement of others. Guilia, in Italy, the oldest daughter of a man who takes the hair of others and fashions them into hairpieces and wigs. Sara, the only female partner in her law firm, has already divorced twice, and us the parent of three child
Ellinor
The stories of three women are beautifully interwoven in this novel. They are told separately and only losely touch each other at the very end, just like in a real plait. The book is a quick and easy read and left me satisfied somehow. But it is just a little too trivial for my liking and also a bit overhyped: the author is a movie director and so it is no suprise that the film rights are sold already.
Isidora
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, svenska
Maybe this is a good screenplay (the author is screenwriter after all, which you can guess by her style), but as a novel it isn't impressive. On the other hand, it kept me turning the pages, so it can't be completely bad.
Carolyn
Many thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for an advance copy of this book which has been an international bestseller. It fits into the classification of Women's literature.

It explores the lives and situations of three very different women, widely separated by social class, work, traditions, culture and geography.

Smita is a young Dalit (untouchable), wife and mother. Her fate was to be born into the often despised lowest caste in India. The Dalit caste performs the most repugn
Claire McAlpine
Three women living completely different lives in three different countries, each facing a monumental change, each determined to confront that change in their own way, once they overcome the obstacle that stands in their way, and the discrimination that exists in their society, that causes some not to support their efforts.

It's written in simple language and has the air of a story being told, almost one I can imagine listening to, or watching on film, rather than being lived in the moment, there
Charlotte Nobbs
Goodness, what a dreadful book ! The kind of novel where you know exactly what is going to happen in the next pages. It is a prectictable story with absolutely no subtlety and a huge amount of good feelings! The 3 main caracters are pure stereotypes of themselves.
I do not understand the success of La Tresse.
Susan Stuber
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A rather strange book really. The three women involved all have predicaments they need to get out of, and each of these could have been developed into an interesting story. As it is, it is the predicaments themselves that do the carrying here and which have the most interest. The solutions seem to arrive from the heavens like a flash of lightening: wow, so easy, who would have thought of that? Then to tie it all up neatly, it turns out that the three women, who live so far apart and are from suc ...more
Renard Books
Jul 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure, I just finished it because it only had a few pages and I had to practice my French.
This book was horrible. It took me a month to finish it although it only has 230 pages. It is tremendously boring and flat. The three women protagonists had no importance for me, I did not feel any empathy because I never felt that the characters existed, it is one of those books in which the author does not stop being in your mind throughout the reading.
The style was overwhelming, Colombani kept
Melanie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Abysmally cliché writing; caricatures for characters; and the cheesiest trio of stories I may have ever read. I picked up this book at a train station after finishing the very good "La vie devant soi" (Romain Gary) - what a mistake.
Dreadymorticia
Lazy writing though the premise was interesting
Camille
— 3.5 stars —

India, Sicily, Canada.
Smita, Giulia, Sarah.
Three very different women coming from different background, social class, work, traditions, culture and geography.
Three women following three different paths, each facing some hardships, each taking a life changing decision, each trying to overcome the obstacles that stands in their way.
Three women having little to nothing in common except their perseverance, their tenacity.

Three sections of hair slowly interwoven into one braid: La Tress
Diana van der Woodsen
This book is just amazing.
Nadzeya
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a nice quick read about three women from completely different parts of the world, their struggles and battles, the choices they make and how their choices eventually connect them together, however small that connection was. This book is a great tribute to all strong women of this world who do not give up, no matter what life throws at them. It touches you on personal level, with stories of these women so similar to many others. Writing flows nicely, which, in part is due to a great tran ...more
Krutika Puranik
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The Braid.

I picked up this book on a whim. I did not read the blurb or reviews but simply chose it amidst many other books sitting on a bookshelf. The Braid is written by Laetitia who is a screenwriter and director. Perhaps this is why one can actually picture this book being made into a movie. The narration is simple which makes it easier for a beginner to enjoy it. It's feminine, fragile and makes you wish that it was a bit lengthy. The Braid is the story of victory be it small or big.

There
Sarah Husain
Not what I was expecting in terms of a book that linked the stories of three women but their experiences showed a range of hardships women endure, no matter what walk of life you come from. However it was not the best writing and felt like it got too much praise for what it was. Also it was a bit long and could’ve accomplished the same goal in less pages.
Shazia
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
will update with review later.
Dani
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why so short, Laetitia?? That was the only flaw, that there should have been 200 pages more... Please please more like this!
Vicki
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading a woman in translation book and I wasn't disappointed. I found the interwoven tales of the 3 women very powerful and at times emotionally draining. I cried a lot!
Isabella Platonoff
Must read! This book is so beautiful, it is easy to get lost in its pages. Personally loved it!
Alyona
Anne Goodwin
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translations
Smita is determined to save her daughter from the life she’s had, as a Dalit woman collecting rich people’s shit in a village in Uttar Pradesh. Guila is forced to take the reins of her family’s wig-making business in Palermo when her father is seriously injured. Sarah, a highflying Montréal lawyer and single mother of three, finds herself sidelined when she’s treated for cancer. Seemingly worlds apart, these three women’s stories are eventually braided together in a manner that might be intended ...more
Anne Fassotte
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a lot of surprises in this book, either in terms of style or where the characters are concerned, but a nice, easy-to-read story about three very strong women.
Janet
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it

When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

Han
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the stories first captivate me as I am a woman.
A woman somehow can feel a bonding with other women and that was the reason why my heart shivered whilst keep flipping over the pages. In this case, it is more to "The braid" than just stories, it embodied the history of feminist. By "feminist" I mean, soldiers who are women, who have one same female ancestor. Thus we give aid to each other, this is the intrinsic belief and also, a lesson, of which Laetitia used the symbol of "The braid" to articula
Kathy
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This novel is about three strong, determined women from very different walks of life. Each woman fights prejudice, each is a warrior, each answers the call to "challenge tradition at your peril."

Smita, from India, is a member of the untouchable caste, there is none lower. She lives in a slum with her husband and daughter Lalita. Smita works at a job that has been passed from mother to daughter in her family for generations. She collects human waste. Her husband works as a rat killer, a job his f
Denice Barker
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Where does courage and perseverance and will come from? And if you've never had to answer that question, do you think you have the courage and perserverance and will to do what you need to survive? This is the story of three women in three countries around the world called upon to do what they never thought they would, and how one thing bound them together.

Smita is in India and she is an untouchable. Now, I always knew about people in this caste but the things I learned about how she had to li
Jana
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to this book but was left quite disappointed.

First, the things I liked. I liked the general idea of the book of connecting the stories of three different women from completely different continents, cultures and religions. It could have made for an amazing book. I also loved the book cover, well done to whoever decided on that, because it was the first thing that drew me in before even reading the title or synopsis it is that gorgeous.

Now on the things I didn't enjoy
Mary
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mother in India, a young woman in Italy, and a woman in Montreal. The author does an excellent job of introducing the readers to these 3 very different characters. The "untouchable" in India wants nothing more than a better future for her daughter and will stop at nothing to attain it. Our Italian woman is following in her father's footsteps, working in his hair workshop, preparing human hair to be made into wigs. Sarah, a high-powered lawyer has created a hard shell around herself in order to ...more
Naita_11
Paul Pessolano
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The Braid” by Laetitia Colombani, published by Atria Paperback.

Category – Fiction/Literature Publication Date – September 24, 2019.

The reader will get a real treat, in fact several treats, when they read this book. First and most important it is an excellent read, it will keep the reader enthralled throughout the book, and it can be read it just a couple of days.

The book tells the story of three women from completely different cultures that have no knowledge of each other but their actions dire
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page number - 9788416310272 2 16 Mar 25, 2019 12:39PM

• Entre ciel et Lou
  • Der Schatten
  • En attendant Bojangles
  • Ta voix dans la nuit
  • Autour d'elle
  • Les Loyautés
  • Quai d'Orsay. Chroniques diplomatiques, tome 2
  • La Vie rêvée d'Ernesto G.
  • L'Autre Fille
  • Les prénoms épicènes
  • La consolante
  • Le Quatrième Mur
  • The Girl Who Married the Moon: Tales from Native North America
  • La page blanche
  • La Comtesse de Cagliostro (Arsène Lupin, #12)
  • Innan floden tar oss
  • Les cahiers d'Esther : Histoires de mes 10 ans (Tome 1)
  • Le Déchronologue
Laetitia Colombani est une réalisatrice, actrice, scénariste et écrivaine française.

Après deux années de classe préparatoire Cinésup à Nantes, elle entre à l’École Nationale Supérieure Louis Lumière. Elle obtient son diplôme en 1998.

Elle écrit et réalise des courts-métrages, puis deux longs-métrages : "À la folie... pas du tout (2002) avec Audrey Tautou, Samuel le Bihan et Isabelle Carré, qui rem
“Elle ne sera plus jamais invincible, plus jamais une super-héroïne. Elle sera elle, Sarah, une femme que la vie a malmenée, entamée, mais elle sera là, avec ses cicatrices, ses failles et ses blessures. Elle ne cherchera plus à les cacher. Sa vie d’avant était un mensonge, celle-ci sera la vraie.” 1 likes
“Ne laisse personne te détourner de ton chemin, lui répond-il. Tu dois garder la foi. Ta volonté est grande. Je crois en ta force, en tes capacités. Tu dois persévérer. La vie a prévu de grandes choses pour toi.” 0 likes