Start by marking “An Encyclopedia of Tolkien” as Want to Read:
An Encyclopedia of Tolkien

An Encyclopedia of Tolkien

A comprehensive, illustrated guide to the history, lands, and inhabitants of Middle-earth.

The fantasy world of J. R. R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth contains a rich assortment of people, cities, and creatures—as well as a deep, intertwined history that spans thousands of years. In this beautifully illustrated, leather-bound volume, best-selling author and Tolkien scholar David
Published October 8th 2019 by Canterbury Classics (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about An Encyclopedia of Tolkien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Encyclopedia of Tolkien

Start your review of An Encyclopedia of Tolkien
CR
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The encyclopedia of Tolkien David Day is a must read for any Tolkien fan. An insightful encyclopedia with beautiful illustrations and informative charts. I loved how the author included Tolkien’s inspiration for the characters and places instead of just information about them. Even though this is not in conjunction with the Tolkien Estate I still feel that David Day captured the essence of the Tolkien Legacy!
Thomas Chandler
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a must-have for anyone who loves The Lord of the Rings. This book is a collection of anything and everything that either informed, inspired, or was included in Tolkien’s world of Middle-Earth. Also, the illustrations are so beautiful and make the read even more enjoyable.
Mary
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeous book that is something that I will treasure always. I was so excited to open this and page through quickly at first and then savor each page of character descriptions, family trees, the lists of related characters and their characteristics. The illustrations are beautiful and every day I pick it up. This is a book that you will reference every time you pick up a Tolkien book.

There is so much information and so many dots connected for me in ways that I didn't figure out myself
Jay Gabler
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An Encyclopedia of Tolkien doesn’t exactly sound like a page-turner. When you first lay hands on a copy of David Day’s new book, with its embossed leather binding, gold-leaf pages, lavish illustrations, and bookmark ribbon, you might imagine putting it on the shelf next to The Lord of the Rings, maybe dipping into it occasionally when you’re trying to remember what Meduseld or Umbar was.

Once you start paging through, though, you might just find yourself reading the 544-page volume cover to
Jessica Bronder
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the go to book for anything Tolkien. When I first received the book I instantly fell in love with the leather cover and gold edged pages. But I was completely blown away when I opened the book and started reading selections here and there. This is an extensive look into the world of Tolkien punctuated with beautiful artwork.

I am just an amateur when it comes to Tolkien, I have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Ring series but that is where my knowledge ends. I started reading the
Kristopher Aadahl
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings but was disappointed that I couldn't immerse myself into the full works that token had created but only hinted at in the Hobbit and scratched the surface of in LOTR. This encyclopedia takes Middle-Earth information from sources like The Silmarillon, Tolkien's notes, interviews & biographies, and also draws upon a general knowledge of Tolkien's education, background, etc. For me, the book serves as a portal to delve deeper into those books than ...more
HURRICANE Dorian
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's not as you expect it but this book is rather enjoyable what I enjoy about it is it's extensive lists of information about my other favorite movies and books it's not just a encyclopedia it's a tale... A tale of TOLKIEN
Tabitha Smith
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a Lord of the Rings fan or a lover of all things Tolkien this is a MUST buy. It’s an extensive and illustrated guide to the history, lands, and inhabitants of Middle-earth. David Day has compiled a masterpiece of combined insights and knowledge from his forty-plus years of working on Tolkein books.

The book itself is beautiful. I was struck at once with how lovely it was when I received it in the mail. It’s leather-bound, has gold leaf edge pages, and over 100 illustrations.

This is
Elizabeth
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'd highly recommend this to anyone who is curious about the background of LOTR. I adore picking fantasy apart for the inspirations and that was well done in this book.
AE Corral
Although I don't believe this is authorized by the Tolkien Estate, i found it very informative for the person just starting to explore the history and basis of the LOTR and Hobbit. The illustrations are very good. There are diagrams showing various battles, genealogy and the history of the Rings of Power. I enjoyed reading it and plan to purchase a copy for my personal library.
Janna
Jan 26, 2020
George Fletcher
Dec 31, 2019
Jeffrey
rated it did not like it
Nov 01, 2019
Charlie
Oct 09, 2019
Jessica Hernandez
Oct 09, 2019

• The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know
  • The Traitor's Game (The Traitor's Game, #1)
  • Into the Forest (The Familiar #2)
  • The Parade
  • The Wild Things
  • A Hologram for the King
  • The Whalestoe Letters
  • You Shall Know Our Velocity!
  • Your Fathers, Where Are They? And the Prophets, Do They Live Forever?
  • Lullaby
  • Pygmy
  • Me
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • A Secret Vice
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
David Day (b. 14 October 1947 in Victoria, British Columbia) is a Canadian author of over forty books: poetry, natural history, ecology, mythology, fantasy, and children's literature. Internationally he is most notably known for his literary criticism on J. R. R. Tolkien and his works.

After finishing high school in Victoria, British Columbia, Day worked as a logger for five years on Vancouver