Start by marking “Pluto Gets the Call” as Want to Read:
Pluto Gets the Call

Pluto Gets the Call

Pluto gets a call from Earth telling him he isn’t a planet anymore, so he sets out on a journey through the solar system to find out why in this funny and fact-filled romp that’s perfect for fans of The Scrambled States of America.

Pluto loves being a planet. That is, until the day he gets a call from some Earth scientists telling him he isn’t a planet anymore! You probably
Published November 12th 2019 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Pluto Gets the Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pluto Gets the Call

Start your review of Pluto Gets the Call
Effie
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This might be my favorite book of 2019. It's hilarious and informative at the same time. I am a fan of Pluto!
Victoria
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a soft spot for Pluto so this book tugged on my heartstrings. It offers more than just an ode to a former planet. The illustrations are wonderful. Humor is clever. And I actually learned about our solar system along the way! There is even a nice little moral to the story [if you want to get deep] that reinforces the importance of positive self-esteem.

Because, let's face it. If anyone is struggling with dashed dreams and poor self-esteem - it's Pluto. Yet, he pulls through.
Abby Johnson
Pluto LOVES being a planet, but when the call comes from Earth that he's no longer a planet, how can he go on? This fun and funny picture book not only pays homage to our favorite planet-that-was, but also introduces young readers to the solar system as Pluto takes a farewell tour and presents facts about each planet along the way. Hand this to fans of THE SUN IS KIND OF A BIG DEAL or Laurie Keller's THE SCRAMBLED STATES OF AMERICA for kids who enjoy learning but in a really fun, funny way.
Katherine MM
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What an awesome and funny book to learn about the Solar system and dwarf planets!
Bookish
Absurdly brilliant.

Pluto loves being a planet and is heartbroken when scientists from Earth call to revoke his status. After a traverse of the solar system, The Sun sets Pluto back on course. Classic Laurie Keller illustrations and hilarious puns with every page turn make this picture book a sure win with smart young readers.
Mallory Coil
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
My kids have this book already. It’s called, “A Place For Pluto”.
Joan
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pluto loves being a planet . . . he’s been one since an astronomer in Flagstaff, Arizona discovered him in 1930.

Then he gets a phone call from the scientists on Earth . . . .

In this clever look at the solar system, young readers will journey with Pluto as he visits the other planets and shares his unhappy news as he tries to discover the reasons for his unexpected demotion from planet status. Basic facts about the planets in the solar system are sprinkled throughout the story and compiled at the
Tiffany
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are kids alive today that never knew Pluto as a planet - and that is wild. I love Pluto and I am still not over the decision to remove the planet status from it. But that is beside the point. The point is that this is a fantastic book. The humor is great - there are some really funny moments. The illustrations are beautiful and creative. And this is a very educational and informational book. I learned so much more about our solar system while reading this. This is an excellent book for ...more
Lynn
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Got to the see the galleys of this and hear Laurie Keller speak about the book at an ALA publisher event. It's been a long wait but I love the finished product as much as I loved seeing Keller's original work.

This is a really novel approach to the story of the re-classification of Pluto for kids and along the way there is a lot of information provided on the other planets. Great kid-humor and really terrific illustrations make this a stellar package!

Purchase multiple copies for your libraries -
Margaux
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pluto is distressed when, in the middle of talking to a group of Earth readers (us) he gets a call that he's no longer a planet. Filled with new facts about the planets (and dwarf planets!) in our solar system, this is an interstellar tour of the planets as told by Pluto who will always be a planet to me.
Pam
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pluto gets the call from earth's scientists that he's no longer a planet and is crushed. He sets out on a journey across the solar system to visit and share his information. Rex slips in informative text along the way. Plenty of humor.
Keller's illustrations are terrific and help the reader see the solar system pieces. Be sure to check out what the art is made from.
Mary Clare
So stinking cute! The incomparable Adam Rex takes on the demoralizing demotion of poor Pluto with lots of laughs but clever insight as well. Laurie Keller's illustrations are gorgeous. This book made my day! (And perfect timing, since I'm working with sixth grade students on solar system research.)
Josiphine/Tessa
This is a picture book tour of the solar system, hosted by everyone's favorite [dwarf] planet. It's adorable and it made me laugh. A winner for sure.
Teresa Osgood
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun and informative!
Beth
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pluto may no longer be a planet but we love him even more for it.
Lorie Barber
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
For all those whose hearts were broken at the news of Pluto’s “demotion.”
Courtnei
This was an absolutely precious book about Pluto! Would be great to read to an elementary classroom who's learning about space. But a little long for preschool storytime
Yvonne O'connor
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute, scholarly and held the interest of my four year olds for the whole story!!!
Lisa D
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book to help kids learn about the planets! Science teachers will love this book!
Jaymie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Classic Laurie Keller illustration style really appealed to me - I love her work! But I also loved the story of poor demoted Pluto who gets a pep talk from the sun. Great space facts.
Phaea Crede
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and informative!
Edward Sullivan
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A silly but fact-filled, informative journey through the solar system.
Betsey Stahler
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun book about the planets and Pluto being a planet and then being demoted. Humorous.
Jason
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful romp through the solar system with the best of hosts, Pluto.

Which is a planet, by the way.
Suzy
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love Pluto and it will always be a planet to me.
Nancy
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring-2020
The planets had interesting personalities!
Iggi

• The Perfect Seat
  • Bad Dog
  • Anxious Charlie to the Rescue
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • Small in the City
Adam Rex grew up in Phoenix, Arizona, the middle of three children. He was neither the smart one (older brother) or the cute one (younger sister), but he was the one who could draw. He took a lot of art classes as a kid, trying to learn to draw better, and started painting when he was 11. And later in life he was drawn down to Tucson in order to hone his skills, get a BFA from the University of ...more