Start by marking “Take the Leap: Change Your Career, Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
Take the Leap: Change Your Career, Change Your Life

Take the Leap: Change Your Career, Change Your Life

The ultimate road map for landing your dream job, packed with true inspiring stories from more than sixty people who made profound changes in their lives and careers, plus practical advice from experts. “If you are ready to go for the life and the job you really want, Take the Leap is the go-to book for anyone making a career change” (Bobbi Brown).

Take the Leap features inspiration/>Take(Bobbi
Published October 8th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Take the Leap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take the Leap

Start your review of Take the Leap: Change Your Career, Change Your Life
Jamie
I read the sections that interested me but there are a lot of different paths represented here!
Genevieve Trono
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take the Leap arrived at the perfect time for me. I love self-help books but often find that they can be a little unrelatable with just the author's viewpoint. This book took a completely different approach of sharing dozens of stories of career pivots from all different perspectives and career paths. I am a big fan of listening to NPR's podcast How I Built This with Guy Raz and this book was similar in the way of sharing different entrepreneurs (often rocky) paths to success.

As a creative who
Justine
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at the right time as I'm currently thinking about a career change on top of thinking about relocation and dealing with all the uncertainty/anxiety that comes with both things. I liked the "pitch to practice" way this book was done, sharing advice from many people but also providing real world applications on how to go about accomplishing a career change in various fields, it wasnt a typical "preachy" read. Liked this book alot and gave me alot to think about, definitely rec ...more
Joseph Newton
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book for anyone that needs a push into the unknown!
Alyssa
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and found it super inspiring because it approached changing your life and career path in a very practical way. You actually read how these people made the change, the challenges they went through, as opposed to the instant success you often read about. It’s inspiring me to make small changes and keep focusing on goals instead of thinking they’re too out there.
Steve
Aug 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unrealistic book written by someone with very little respect for the reader or knowledge of how the world even works. The new ‘career’ choices are not the type that are often encountered or could even provide a living. Absolutely pie in the sky kind of stuff, idealistic to the point of embarrassment. In fact I’m embarrassed I bought it. One chapter was a leap into becoming a ‘tarot card reader’. Gimme a break!
Chris Elia
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. So inspiring, and so upbeat about people finding their way to their dreams from wherever they are starting from. Sara captures both the nitty gritty mechanics (which I find so interesting) of how people got where they wanted to go, as well as some of the meta-struggles they each faced in their starting points. If you feel like you aren't quite (or at all...) close to what you want to be doing with your professional life, read it!!!!
Heather
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring. Bunch of normal people finding success in a wide array of different fields. What I liked about it is that success didnt mean the same thing for everyone in the book. Quick, easy read with 2-3 pages highlighting each person's story.
Natalie
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
perfection - a must read also for current graduates!
Claudia
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a collection of magazine articles about people whose life worked out fine. No one took a leap and regretted it. Everything just falls into place a little too nicely for most of them - an offer from a friend, the perfect information forwarded the next day after deciding what they wanted to do etc.
These stories aren't told while they are still in doubt and worried about money, no one outright failed. They had time to polish their life story and they are the ones who succeed
Becki Iverson
I'm really split on this book. I thought it was about how to plan a career jump and it really isn't, so I was disappointed with the mis-marketing. It's actually a collection of very short stories talking about other people's career changes and how they made them. I found those to be interesting, especially as most of the career shifts were pretty profound and transcended truly disparate industries. There was some value in reading those and definitely inspiration, I just couldn't quite get the fu ...more
Tackela
An encouraging read

I liked how realistic this was. It wasn't hypothetical musings of how you could change your life but concrete examples. It also made it clear that sometimes you wont have it all together, you might take a pay cut or the road to success may be rocky. However, if you follow this path or even movr back onto the path you left, satisfaction and happiness with your work/career is possible.
Foxglow
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The book is Everything it intends to be: encouraging, uplifting, and empowering. It shares stories from real people who recognized they were unhappy with their job/life situations. They share the steps they used to figure out how to get to where they wanted to be and what they did to get there. Inspiring!
Eric
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its good to read about other people and their own experiences of what they did to leave their 9-5 job and go on their own. But, I've personally found this book to be a bit overwhelming on reading on too broad of scope of topics. It doesn't focus on a specific group of people and had trouble keeping up.
Carmen
Sep 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I found two things interesting about this book. One, I knew one of the people she wrote about, which was pretty cool. It was a surprise to hear his name (Stace Bare) and story in the book. Also, one of the narrators also narrates the Patricia Cornwell Scarpetta novels. It was weird to hear her do something else.
Catarina
This book was an enjoyable and simple read. It was fun to hear others journeys, but I think it cut short many stories right when they started to get interesting for me. This book includes a lot of practical advice, especially when it comes to financing your dream job/life/career. These people worked hard to accomplish what they did and still work hard.
Daniel
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading everyone of the profiles of the people in this book. My favorites where the former movie studio head who moved now helps children in Cambodia and Ben smith who went from commercial fisherman to ocean farmer. The cover of the book is also nice.
Tiffany Elsener
Dove into this book for inspiration, and gleaned a little bit from the book overall. However, the stories moved at such a quick pace and lacked depth, that I left feeling my time was better spent continuing to gain more substance from the "How I Built This" podcast series.
Kim Healy
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read esp if you are even remotely thinking of a change.
Lynn
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both inspirational and practical. If looking for an Act II here it is.
Sydney
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational vignettes of people who have changed direction and started a new career.
Amy
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice quick read about people who've changed careers and the steps they took to get there.
Camille Monae
Inspiring stories from those who have pivoted in life. While they offer good advice and some practical information, this is not a step by step guide.
Becky
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
Very inspiring to hear other people's stories!
Jeff Bell
Inspiring collection of people from all walks of life that took a leap into a new career path. The stories are candid about the challenges and the joys of following a new passion.
Kristi
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
99.9999 inspiration and .0001 practical information. Bliss writes engaging profiles, so it was fun reading about people who’ve made interesting career changes or segues. I jotted down some notes. But a “road map for landing your dream job,” like the promotional blurb says, is a huge over promise. Very fluffy compared to a book like “So Good They Can’t Ignore You.”
Rachelcmrn
Jun 05, 2019
Jennie
Jan 04, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Taking the Work Out of Networking: An Introvert's Guide to Making Connections That Count
  • Clockwork: Design Your Business to Run Itself
  • Invested: How Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger Taught Me to Master My Mind, My Emotions, and My Money (with a Little Help from My Dad)
  • Financially Forward: How to Use Today's Digital Tools to Earn More, Save Better, and Spend Smarter
  • You Are a Badass Every Day: How to Keep Your Motivation Strong, Your Vibe High, and Your Quest for Transformation Unstoppable
  • The Art of Noticing: 131 Ways to Spark Creativity, Find Inspiration, and Discover Joy in the Everyday
  • The Latte Factor: Why You Don't Have to Be Rich to Live Rich
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • The Pumpkin Plan: A Simple Strategy to Grow a Remarkable Business in Any Field
  • Whatever You Are, Be a Good One
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • The Good Luck Cat
  • Simple: Conquering the Crisis of Complexity
  • Advice from My 80-Year-Old Self: Real Words of Wisdom from People Ages 7 to 88
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Chair and 44 Other Interesting Everyday Things: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers
  • Let Love Have the Last Word
  • How to Be a 3% Man, Winning the Heart of the Woman of Your Dreams
  • How to Skimm Your Life
Sara Bliss is a Forbes Contributor, NY Times Bestselling writer and the author/co-author/or ghostwriter of 11 books including Hotel Chic at Home. Her latest, Take the Leap proves that it's not too late to chase your dreams, change up your life, hit it big, and go for it.

Sara has made countless leaps of her own going from short order cook to auction house assistant to magazine scribe to to brandin