Start by marking “Piękna młoda żona” as Want to Read:
Piękna młoda żona

Piękna młoda żona

Edward i Ruth tworzą z pozoru wspaniałą parę: zgodnie z planem Edwardowi udało się znaleźć kobietę doskonałą: ma piękną młodą żonę, stał się obiektem zazdrości kolegów i jest dumnym partnerem spełniającej wszystkie jego marzenia wybranki. Jednak czy żona jest równie szczęśliwa i spełniona w tym związku? Kiedy rodzi się upragniony synek, misterna konstrukcja idealnej rodzin ...more
Published March 13th 2019 by Wydawnictwo Pauza (first published March 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Piękna młoda żona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Piękna młoda żona

Ann
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Rev.) At the core of this story is Edward Landauer, brilliant microbiologist and manther (man + panther, look it up) who decides his skirt-chasing days are over when he meets a beautiful young woman 15 years his junior. At first he is blissful with his new, young prize until he slowly realizes what could no longer be ignored. She is youthful when she is with her cohort and aged by his mere presence. She also comes from a generation that is increasingly involved with animal & social activism ...more
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
This has such a depth - I will need to think seriously about how to review it. More soon.

My View:
This small book pacts a powerful punch – it is the kind of book that as you turn the last page you gasp in surprise and question “What? No more?” You want more…please….

On the surface this is a story that touches on a relationship in turmoil - but it is so much more. Wieringa poses so many questions, presents so any brilliant social observations in this sparse but beautifully evocative prose; identity
jeniwren
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent translation for a very short novel. It is poignantly introspective of a man and his thoughts on first lust, love and then marriage to a younger woman. Eventually they have a much wanted child which proves then to be the catalyst for his unraveling. Edward is also a virologist and these sections detailing his research are an interesting aside to the relationship angle of the novel. I read this out in the sun in one sitting and being the author's sixth novel I will be searchin ...more
Lede
Feb 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
...bad flashbacks of Franzen, B A Levy etc, which many adore but just makes me shiversigh from revulsion.
Koen Van den Eeckhout
Like a miniature version of 'Stoner'. An older man starts a relationship with a younger wife. In stead of feeling younger, as he had hoped, he only starts to feel old and miserable.
Scribe Publications
Brilliant … Merciless in the gentle accuracy with which it asks, very simply and persistently: “What did you think was going to happen?” A Beautiful Young Wife is a book that could derail someone. There's real power in that.
Cyan Jones, Author of The Dig

A painful, razor-sharp portrait of what it is to be an ageing man … Beautiful, concise, taut.
Mariella Frostrup, BBC Radio 4, ‘Open Book’

Fiction at its most precise and potent.
Julie Myerson, The Observer

While the narrative focuses on the collapse o
David Samuel
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tommy Wieringa's novella sears deeply with its quick ebbs and flows of passionate love as it transits to regret.

For such a short novel, Wieringa masters the change in tone from the first half of the novella to the second, despairing half. His narrator is uncannily vibrant, introspective and bittersweetly honest. The language is unsettlingly bona fide.

The intricacy of this novella lies in the fact that the reader gets both Wieringa's subtle narration along Edward's point of view. They blend toge
Tundra
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars. Thanks to Scribe and Goodreads for my copy of A Beautiful Young Wife. Although this novel (novella?) appears to be a simple recount it tackles a number of relationship themes; ageing, children, trust and the effect of time. Edward, the protagonist, finds himself spiralling out of control and making choices that in turn lead to further repercussions. He does not seem to be able to alter his trajectory but his awareness does grow as he reflects on his childhood and past. This story ce ...more
Liina Bachmann
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
3.5.

This story could be happening anywhere, In the cafe, next to the table of yours there might sit a couple who are falling apart not yet knowing it themselves. This slim novel I think captures it well, how inevitable those things are. It is like a force of nature that can't be stopped. Another thing it does great is capturing an ageing man. It is always the women who age and "lose something" in the course of it. Oftentimes it seems that men they just get salt and pepper in their hair and a new
Marie-lynn Herpoel
3,5 ⭐ ...more
Sarita
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘I thought he was cute. Old, but cute.’
‘Old but cute...’ Edward feigns a pain that is real.
‘Older than I was. Are you happy now?’
‘Fourteen years...’
‘Plus one.’

A Beautiful Young Wife tells a story about the relationship between Edward and Ruth. One afternoon while sitting in a cafe, Edward encountered a beautiful woman passes by with a bicycle and asks her out on a date as soon as he gets the chance. She is smitten by him too and the two started a relationship soon after.

Being with someone young,
Gina
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is short and very readable but ultimately was deeply annoying. A footloose 42 year old scientist finally decides to tie the knot with a beautiful 28 year old. After seven years of married bliss they decide to have a child and the idyll unwinds. The baby bawls, the mother blames the father who resorts to sleeping in the loft and then in his research lab. Frustrated he has an affair with a lab assistant. Barred from sleeping in the lab he moves into a campsite cabin with his feckless bro ...more
Jan-Joost Bouwman
nice tragic love story. I liked the virology aspect, brought back memories. At times the language was a bit too pretty, like the author was trying too hard. And I noticed a time change in the narrative. Most was in past tense, but a small number of pages was in present tense. Not sure why.
Sue
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The perils of the younger wife are spelled out early on. Brillian, clever and long suffering main character who, whilst never making me like him, did make me empathise. His wife was as bad! There were times when I wanted to shout at both of them!
Anne Goodwin
A Beautiful Young Wife is about the way in which our different assumptions about the “right” way to live can complicate our most intimate relationships.
Full review http://annegoodwin.weebly.com/1/post/...
Tim
Mar 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meh.
Ruud
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From romantic to depressed, it killed the mood of early spring a bit. ;-)
Writing was ok, although it didn't really grasp me.
Jenne Van
Finished reading in about two hours. Great ending to a tragic yet realistic ove story. It feels very 'now'.
Dagny
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really a 1.5. Good writing style, unpleasant characters and no substance to story
Lisa
I meant to read this (like a couple of other books) for #NovNov Novellas in November, but like most of my reading plans, that didn’t happen…
A Beautiful Young Wife is unsettling reading. It’s about the breakup of a relationship, one that was never on a very firm footing anyway, and one that (like so many) doesn’t survive the arrival of the first child. It is disarmingly honest about its central protagonist, Edward Landauer, an eminent virologist, who at the age of 42 has everything he wants… exce
Joe Shaw
Jun 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found parts of this novella deeply offensive, for example for following quote;

“In the car, Edward comforted himself with the thought that, unlike the narcissistic homos with their gym-buffed bodies who he had seen go to pieces during his years in Amsterdam, he was still alive”

The “narcissistic homos” that went “to pieces” were dying of AIDS. I found this reaction highly inappropriate. I don’t mind problematic characters if there is a context BUT I did not understand the protagonist’s unnecess
Dabarai
Not sure if I understood this book at all - it is a story of a marriage of an older husband and younger wife, seen through his eyes. The marriage for him is a part of the planned life path, but what is it for her? Plus musings about animal tests, viruses and infidelity.
Ann Tonks
This is another brilliant, brief exploration of contemporary lives lived. It's about love, sex, science, pain, parenthood - all told in 123 pages. One spends all that time with a middle aged male virologist whom one can't like but whom one ends up feeling for.
Jeremiah Brown
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, bleak, and honest novel. Great writing and well translated from Dutch.
Lynn
Nov 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
The story of a nameless, old protagonist who falls in love with a much younger woman and goes into a deep depression, wondering about his life, aging, love and stuff like that.

Boring. Just... boring. It's supposed to be all depressed... but the main character is kind of a jerk... and a creep. Maybe not a pedo, but I felt as dirty reading from this guys perspective as I would feel reading from a pedos.
And for the jerkish part, yes, I know he's depressed and all, but, just, ugh, we can't like a ch
Belinda Missen
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of those ones that came home simply because it said 'translated by'... In the past twelve months, I've read a couple of translations and loved them all, so this would hopefully be no different.

And I was right. This is a rich, raw, emotional look at relationships - beginning at that elusive 'How did you to meet?' - right through to the triumphs, tribulations, sacrifices and craziness that we all must endure, and the toll that sometimes takes.

The writing is rich, fluid, and a j
Julia
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book as part of the Goodreads giveaway program. Overall it was an enjoyable read but I didn't really feel grasped by the plot, it just seemed a bit lacking. Possibly the depth was lost in translation?
Suzan Emami Yeganeh
this is what happens when you think with your penis.
the book is good in some ways (it shocks you with moments, you can feel his pain as if it's your own), but is baaaaad because he's so duuuumb and miserableeeeeee uuuuuugh
Rachel
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A troubling portrait of a man hitting mid-life and struggling with ageing, regret, and missed opportunities, as he marries and becomes a father in his late 40s. Life unravels. I enjoyed this as much as one could given the subject matter. It's beautifully written and translated.
Iris van Krimpen
Dec 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
1 star. Nope. Really bad. Sexist main character who wasn't likeable at all. Written for the Dutch Bookweek in 2014. I also didn't like Tommy Wieringa's book Joe Speedboot, which is why I don't think I will be reading is other books.

• De verrekijker
  • De zomer hou je ook niet tegen
  • Palmwijn
  • Een tafel vol vlinders
  • Het boek Ont
  • Stern
  • De wereld volgens GIJP
  • Moresnet: opkomst en ondergang van een vergeten buurlandje
  • De vierde man
  • Magdalena
  • Vertedering
  • Serenade
Tommy Wieringa (born 20 May 1967 in Goor, Overijssel) is a Dutch writer. He received the Ferdinand Bordewijk Prijs in 2006 for his novel Joe Speedboat.
“Great lawyers and statesmen had stepped forward from their ranks, men who had shaped the nation and passed it along in good shape to the next generation. That permanency, that was over and done with. Their great-grandchildren had become bankers and writers, their lives dedicated only to themselves.” 0 likes
“Ze was door haar schoonheid niet misvormd geraakt, dacht hij, zoals andere vrouwen die hij had gekend. Intelligente, schitterende vrouwen, maar het leek of schoonheid en intelligentie in een en hetzelfde wezen een diepe innerlijke gespletenheid veroorzaakten. Het duurde altijd even voor je het zag, maar daarna kon je het nooit niet meer zien. De literatuur hield ervan zulke vrouwen voor te stellen als tragische heldinnen, maar wanneer hij over hen las, gunde hij ze eigenlijk vooral een straf regime van psychofarmaca. In het echte leven was hij verliefd zolang ze in staat waren hun gespleten natuur te verbergen. Ze waren bovengemiddeld in alles - in gezelschap was niemand geestiger en in bed waren ze sensationeel, de wereld was hun voorstelling. Maar een voor een vielen ze uit hun rol, vroeg of laat; de entree van het tragische.” 0 likes