Start by marking “Tell Me Another Story: Poems of You and Me” as Want to Read:
Tell Me Another Story: Poems of You and Me

Tell Me Another Story: Poems of You and Me

From writer, photographer, and fashion editor Emmy Marucci comes an arrestingly candid volume of poetry and photographs exploring the universality of family nostalgia, grief and loss, fear, and enduring love.

In Tell Me Another Story, Marucci examines those closest to her—her grandfather, nephew, and husband—as well as those she hardly knows—the women sitting at the next tabl
Published October 8th 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me Another Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me Another Story

Start your review of Tell Me Another Story: Poems of You and Me
Reading Tam Ishly
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This collection is divided into two parts.

The first part, named 'me', talks about grieve and loss of someone close, gay issues, poetry and writing, the people the author knows and childhood days.

The second part, named 'you', talks about the different issues that a youth usually grows up with, schooldays, sex and virginity, dating, pregnancy, dogs, being an artist, books, about some random people, and the people the author trusts.

I would like to say this is a v
Emma
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it

This poetry collection is divided into two parts. The first part is about the author's personal life and the people that she cares about, whereas the second part tells the stories of others.
I did appreciate the first part more, maybe because I felt more connected to it and all the aspects of grief Emmy Marucci dealt with. The author faces the grief she feels for her grandpa. All the aspects she t
Erika Sarutobi
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Tell me another story was more of an okay read. The poems about loss and death were very good and touching and I enjoyed those a lot.

But as for the others, not so much. They were either hit or miss for me. Half were okay and half I didn't really like especially when half of said poems were repetitive.

Another thing I can't help but focus on was the amount of blank pages in between the poems. As an environmental student, I can't help but think it's such a waste o
Heather
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advance reader copy from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

During this collection of poetry I honestly felt like we were following the author through parts of her life. But, I feel like she was also trying to connect with her readers as well. The atmosphere of her writing was absolutely beautiful and I loved the fact she incorporated pictures of her family and friends. I read this in two sittings and I’d definitely be interested in reading her other works as well.
Kalyn Woodbury
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection explores a variety of topics including loss, youth, love, acceptance, heartbreak, and much more.

Over half a decade ago now, I lost my grandfather to cancer. It was a drawn-out, miserable death where he became a very small shadow of himself before finally leaving us. Like Emmy Marucci's grandfather, he was a musician. He played the mandolin, and that's what I'd wake up to every morning when I slept over and what I'd hear at any family gatherings.

"and if the
Jessica | Booked J
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
(3.5-4 stars.) Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can be found here at Booked J.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

What to say... what to say... this was gorgeous.

Wow, I love poetry. I know, I say this all the time, but it is what it is. To be honest, I keep bouncing around on what to rate this collection. It was beautiful, personal and well written, but it did have its weak points in terms of coherency and format. Alth(3.5-4
Neriah Samraksha
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
"They say we're wild girls
But wild girls should be free."

"There's nothing sadder

Aren't necessary
Sometimes the faint
Clicking of our hearts
Is enough."

This review is going to be short. I know I don't add more than one quote when I review but I couldn't choose between these three. When I read the descr
sarah xoxo
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-read, arcs, poetry
Thank you so much Netgalley for allowing me to read an ARC of this collection!

This poetry collection was split into two parts; me & you.
'me' was mostly about the author's own experiences grieving her sick grandfather, which was touching, but I (fortunately) cannot relate on as deep a level as other readers may. It also felt quite nostalgic, but again I felt disconnected, sort of like when people are talking about memories that you weren't there for.
1 star
'you' I enjoyed much more. i
Jantine
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection holds some beautiful and strong poems that paint a wonderful story of love, compassion and kindness, and seeing those through imperfections.

I must admit that sometimes I found it a bit hard to read. Most of the poems are beautiful, but so immensely personal that it felt like I was reading someone's diary. Like I had not the right to read those poems. Those also made it harder for me to read the poems and enjoy them, because, let's be honest, I don't know Marucci's fam
Alisha
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the poem, everyone’s dad is dying, to the mentions of Bukowski.. this collection of poems had me smiling one moment and crying the next.

“you are motorcycles
and vintage cameras
and dirt on your hands

you are stopping for
mcdonald’s french fries
on the way to violin class”

Emmy Marucci brings magic to the ordinary and delivers the hard stuff sublimely. I truly did not want this to end.
Jessica
Oct 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: women, poetry, 2019
The pictures were pretty. The poetry was a waste of space between a gorgeous cover/jacket design they didn’t deserve. Trying way too hard while also thinking it’s the most brilliant thing ever written. Stop writing poetry about being a poet, you’re way too self-referential and self-absorbed. And stop fawning over overrated male writers.

None of this was cute except the gorgeous exterior design. Seems pretty indicative of the author in general.
Beth Pronger
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such powerful and poignant poems, you can feel the love, admiration, and loss in the words Emmy shares. I'll be looking for more of this poet's work.
mandabutler
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arc, net-galley, poetry
This one is mainly about grief, as many poetry books are in some way. The loss of a loved one and dealing with it can be manifested in many ways. I sympathize with this one as I can easily relate.
adik miftakhur
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really like this type of poetry. Not only phrases inside the books, but the author adds some illustrations to illustrate some parts of the book which was really mesmerizing to see. Thank you @Netgalley especially the publisher for providing me an electronic ARC.
emily [coffeeandwashitape]
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tell Me Another Story made me cry immediately. I was so touched by this collection of poems because of how true and close it all felt. From being able to safely acknowledge my own grief over losing my own grandparents not so long ago, to the childhood memories, this collection felt nostalgic.

I am unsure how to explain it other than reading this felt like sitting in bed with your best friend, hand in hand, having those deep heart-to-heart conversations at 2 AM when you sleep over. There is a saf
Pamela Scott

ARC from @AndrewsMcMeel via #NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed

I need to read more of this poet because I loved every word of every poem in this collection. I cannot think of a single fault or anything that doesn’t work. The poems explore somewhat sad subjects that most people will have experienced at some point. I loved the poems about the poet’s grandfather, celebrating his life and mourning his death the most. They were astonishing. The poems are raw, beautiful and intens
Audrey
Aug 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019, poetry, ebook, arc
Unfortunately, I didn't really connect with this poetry collection at all. I loved the concept, of sharing stories told or assumed from strangers, and I thought the pictures included were absolutely beautiful. But as far as the actual poetry, I didn't personally feel anything very deeply from it, which is so important to me when it comes to poetry.
I don't doubt that there will be some people who really love this. And maybe if I read it again in a year, I would connect with it in new ways based
Ellie Larusso
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story about losing and loving.
John
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic from top to bottom. Hit me at my core when I least expected it. Felt very personal but in a great way. I could relate to the emotions expressed like they were my own.
Emma
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Tell Me Another Story” is a wonderful poetry collection divided into two parts: “me” referring to Marucci, and the stories and memories she has of her family, herself and her process through grieving her grandfather. The second part, “you” is made up of dozens of poems about strangers she encounters, her observations, conversations, and their stories.

I loved this collection, and I found myself in need of her work. Marucci manages to capture the small and big moments and details of grief in p
Sherri
“We are, as a species, addicted to
story. even when the body goes to sleep,
the mind stays up all night,
telling itself stories.”

Quoted by Jonathan Gottschall

This collection of poetry went by fast, and I found a few poems spoke more to me than others. I can see this collection for anyone, for there is a bit of everything inside: memories, stories, family, loss, and love. This collection is in two parts, the first is more memoir of the poet and the second part is a gathering of stories about life.
Jeanne
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
"and if there was any religion
inside those walls at all

it was the music
coming from your horn"

This poetry collection is divided into two parts. Part 1 is "Me", which talks about the author's personal life. Part 2 is "You", which talks about the story of other people.

I liked the first part more, the writing was so raw and painful. I really connected with Emmy Marucchi's grief.

The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an/>The
Shelby Bollen
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I loved the first half of this and I would recommend it to anyone who has lost someone as I thought the author discussed grief beautifully. The emotions were raw and real, which I think is often lost. I didn't connect with the second half as much, which brought it down to three stars, but there were still some beautiful poems that I bookmarked! The photos were a beautiful feature and really added to the book.
Cute cover too!

Many thanks to the author, publisher and Netgalley for sendi
Carro Herdegen
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language: R (9 swears, 9 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG
Marucci shares her thoughts on herself and others. She starts off talking about her thoughts on death and she loses loved ones, but her writing become poems about life, inspired by the loss of life she witnesses.
There were a couple of poems in the collection that I liked, but most of them just didn’t speak to me, which made it a chore to read through. I like the juxtaposition of life and death next to each other, being
nikki
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Reading this while going through grief of my own was an emotional experience to say the least. Some of the poems were very heavy hitting for me and I resonated deeply with a lot of what the author talked about.

I feel like most of the poems helped me in a sense to remember it’s normal to grieve and it is a process.

Like a lot of the reviews have said, I really recommend this if you have or are currently going through any type of loss, grief, etc.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC!
Eve beinguniquebooks
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This poetry collection is alike the others in the open and honest raw emotional material only this one is better than others at tackling the topic of grief and girlhood or girl culture from babies and elderly deaths, teens and the trials and tribulations of youth.

The collection of poems were easy to read, draw emotion from and relate to set out in easy to read verse format.

Many thanks to the publishers for allowing me to review this book for them!
Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Split into two sections 'me' and 'you', the first half of this poetry collection focuses on experiences close to Emmy while 'you' looks at more disconnected people, like people you might meet in passing or sit near to in a restaurant. Part one, was particularly emotional and focuses mainly on bereavement; as they're dealing with intense and complex emotions these are, as you'd expect quite powerful and as they're based on individual experiences in some you almost feel like you're interfering wit ...more
Sraah
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
This felt personal to the author. I was looking in on her life, her family’s life.

Some parts stood out in a relatable way, but mostly it was seeing from an outside perspective someone else’s history.

Life is all around us.
Jasleen Kaur
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The poems in the book were very grounded and connective. I kept on reading and reading in such easy fluid motion that I didn't even realize when I made it to the end. The pictures complimented the book well and the topics touched by the poet throughout was really worth reading.
Steph
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The cover is just as magical as the poems inside. A mix of smaller and larger pieces amongst beautiful photos by the author herself. An artful take on grief and the many things that come with it.

• Nectar
  • The Rose That Blooms in the Night
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Submerge
  • You Can't Kill Me Twice: (So Please Treat Me Right)
  • The Other Wife
“lie in your bathtub
don’t wash your face
don’t do anything, actually
just lie there
and watch how your hands float
every time you breathe in”
0 likes