Start by marking “Poemsia” as Want to Read:
Poemsia

Poemsia

Award-winning author and poet Lang Leav presents a YA novel that is an absolute fan pleaser!

Verity Wolf dreams of being a poet—not that she’d ever admit it to anyone. Her best friend Jess thinks she’s definitely got what it takes, while her cat, Zorro is characteristically indifferent. As for the cute boy she’s just met, he’s about to discover her best kept secret.

When Ve
Published October 1st 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Poemsia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poemsia

Start your review of Poemsia
Elvina Zafril
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: times-reads
I'm so happy I received this book from the publisher. I almost cried at that time. I enjoyed reading this book as much as I enjoyed reading Sad Girls.

Poemsia is such an inspiring book. It's a gift. Well at least to me it is. Poemsia is a book that will make readers fall in love with it. It has a lot of lessons and good tips on how to survive as contemporary poets.

Verity Wolf likes poetry. She writes poetry. Her dream is to be a poet. She started an Instagram account to post all of her work after
Hristina
Poemsia is the kind of book that you'll start, it'll enchant you fully, but you'll still have to talk yourself into continuing to read because reading it leads to it ending, and you don't want it to end. At least it was that way for me.
I loved the story it had to offer, there was some magic to it - it focused on friendships and family, and with the romance included, it made for a heartfelt one. I loved the characters, they were well-developed and realistic, and the relationships set between them
Jill McGill
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to Come!
Claude's Bookzone
CW: (view spoiler)

Well, although I didn't love the writing, I think it will be a good addition to the library.

There was something about the writing that I didn't enjoy. At times the dialogue felt a bit cheesy, and in some places I was almost getting a 'Brady bunch' vibe. However, the story was really engaging so it offset the writing for me. I haven't read a book about a young poet developing the confidence to pursue their writing beyond a private journal, so this
Helen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020
I very rarely give out one-star reviews. If I hate a book enough to one-star it, I usually DNF it and don't rate it at all. For some reason, though, I was adamant that I would see this one through to the bitter end, and oh boy did I.

Poemsia is the second novel by bestelling poet Lang Leav. As a disclaimer, I haven't read any of Leav's poetry, as I'm really not a fan of instagram poetry. That being said, I was interested to read this book, which follows a girl named Verity Wolf who catapults to f
Michael Faudet
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!
Lindsey Thomas
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poemsia is like a love letter to everyone who has ever loved books or poetry and has ever wanted to know what it would be like to be a published author. Instead of focusing on the glitz and glamour, Poemsia explores what happens when a some-what introverted 19-year-old finds herself suddenly famous. We, the readers, get to live vicariously through Verity Wolf as her newfound fame begins to infiltrate every aspect of her life, and it is such a thrilling ride. The beauty of her story is that Verit ...more
Clara (The Bookworm of Notre-Dame)
This book was sent to me by the author, but no review nor post were promised.

(Not rating this one because I do not want to ruin someone’s launching campaign and I can’t come up with a proper rating anyeay.) Nothing was wrong per se with this book, it simply wasn’t for me. I thought everything went too fast and felt too big when it didn’t seem big to me, that the dialogues felt weird and so on. It all felt flat. On that note, tons of my friends love that author so it may just have not been the ri
Fajar Davis
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Poemsia is a really strange book.
I'll preface this by saying I absolutely hated Sad Girls for being white girl, wish fulfilment trash that rewarded an actual bitch for being selfish with a nonsensical happy-ever-after. Lang Leav isn't even white, why did she choose THIS story to be her debut?

And that's the same problem in Poemsia. A complete lack of self-awareness. I'm not saying people can only write books from the POV of their race but when it comes to a novel about a teenager becoming famous
Shuhada Ramli
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rating : 2 stars

Review :

Although I am a fan of Lang Leav, I have to be honest here that the book didn't meet my expectations. I believe it could have been written better than this. I have struggled so hard to the finishing line. I love Sad Girls but I don't enjoy Poemsia. Maybe it's not my cup of tea.

This review is from my point of view. We may have different opinions. Feel free to share if there is any.
Chante Jacobs
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
*Copy provided in exchange for an honest review by Jonathan Ball Publishers. Thank you!*

First of all, I love the artstyle on the cover of this book.
Now that that's been said let's get into the review:

We follow Verity Wolf (love the name) who is an aspiring poet. This is the story about hope, passion and working hard to make your dreams become reality. This is a story for everyone who has a dream but second-guesses themselves. This really was such an emotional and inspiring book. The characters w
Amanda Lagerfeld
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book on kind of a whim on the day of it's publication. It was shelved in the general fiction section but when I got home I realized this is in fact a YA novel. That should have been my first clue to stop before I started.

I've read most of Lang Leav's poetry and found it quite good. Not extraordinary but good. Then a few years ago she came out with her debut novel Sad Girls. I hated that book. I didn't mildly dislike it I fully despised it. So why did you read her second book yo
Alda Dominguez
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Due to work and school, it took me four days to finish. However, I’m glad I took my time with it. POEMSIA is a book that will make you curious about the title. What does it mean? For those of us who read the excerpt on her webpage....we needed more.

In a world filled with social media influencers who are more show than substance, Verity Wolf; our lovely narrator and main character, shows us what life is like for an up and coming author.

Many of us dream of being the next JK Rowling or James Patter
Angela Magic Art
5/5 stars!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I loved every minute of this book! I love Lang Leav’s poetry, and I loved her writing in this as well. The story was so interesting and exciting, you could tell she has personal experience when writing about what Verity goes through in the publishing and internet famous world. This book has SO MUCH HEART! The relationship between Verity and her grandfather was the sweetest thing on earth. I love his character so much. I loved the romance as well. It felt genuine, and unique.
Mridula Gupta
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lang Leav turns into a novelist in her latest book Poemsia that is all about an aspiring poet’s journey through fame, a steep fall and subsequent rise to one of the most loved poets. It is all fictional of course! But it is also a story, that will sit well with you because aren’t we all struggling to get somewhere? A fight that does not come easy and can almost, never be fought without a loved one by our side?

Verity Wolf lives, breathes and eats poetry. Her poems, read mostly by her best friend,
L.A.M.P
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Poemsia and I just love how Lang Leav infuses poetry in her prose and how her messages are timeless and universal 🙏🏽💜 Poemsia is a gift to all aspiring poets filled with wise tips and lessons on how to survive as a contemporary poet💖 Poemsia inspires you to put yourself out there and to follow your dreams. Poemsia also brilliantly exposes the dark side of fame and guides you to trust your intuition above everything else.

Thank you Lang Leav for yet another book that I wil
Janetine Aguila
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Still at page 37 but im loving Jess already... #Vare is so lucky to have her...
legenbooksdary
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story about hopes, passion and having all of that into a dream that becomes a reality. This book is so hopeful and wholesome because the main character, Verity Wolf goes through a life of normalcy and dare I say mediocre to being thrown into fame, success and adoring fans. She finally finds herself living a life that she would never have expected to be.

A part of me can really relate to Verity and her dream of seeing her books published next to her favourite authors there are out ther
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
[October 28, 2019] I can't wait to get a copy of this book!

[November 18, 2019] I got an advanced copy from Lang and I'm looking forward to reading this new novel because I loved Sad Girls and she signed my copy which made me SO happy! Let's start!
Steve Sarner
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, 5-star
I’d just settle into my window seat for the flight from JFK back to SFO when a long time professional friend coincidentally sat next to me on the aisle. What are the odds!

We exchanged greetings and caught up on our lives and careers and then, after the first rounds of beverages were served, opened up our computers to work.

About halfway into the flight I closed my lap top and pulled Poemsia out of my backpack. I had started it on the flight to New York a day earlier and was about three quarters
adventuresinabookshop Jo DM
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A complete gem of a novel, I loved everything about this.

Verity Wolf is a young woman living in Sydney, Australia where she helps her grandad run his second hand book store. Writing poetry is her way of dealing with some of the traumas she she had to cope with. Her best friend Jess is the only person who has ever read these poems and with her encouragement Verity begins to post her poems on Instagram.

Addressing the fickleness of social media and the so-called cancel culture and the importance of
Micah Beukelman
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I desperately want to give this book 5 stars. I adore Leav’s poetry and her first book, Sad Girl. I loved parts of this book but my biggest gripe was that the first part felt drawn out and the second part was so fast paced. Every plot point that was major and integral happened in basically the last 50 pages. It was well written, just a pacing issue for me.
Mridu  aka Storypals
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was a sweet story, like comfort food.
J.G. Elas
Aug 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Lang Leav proves her venture out of the realms of poetry can take flight with yet another novel.

There are two distinct areas in which I'd like to take my review of Poemsia from. First, criticism of overnight fame. Leav gave us a bird's eye view of her shot to fame through pop poetry. It is easy to correlate Verity Wolf's story to Leav's, who saw herself being a household name after posting some of her works on social media. Hats off to Leav because not only did her work took flight, but her car
Laura Altmann (laurabookish)
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a huge fan of Leav's poetry, I went into Poemsia with high expectations and I was not disappointed! The book tells the story of Verity Wolf, a young woman whose dreams of being a poet come to fruition after a celebrity re-shares one of her Instagram posts. Verity is immediately thrown into the spotlight and must decide whether to stay true to her humble roots in Australia or pursue a life of stardom in New York. Personally, I love modern poetry, and Poemsia feels like a secret backstage glimp ...more
Cui Chuan
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
UTTERLY SPEECHLESS! Hands down to Lang Leav! A light read with a fast paced type storytelling. It kept me in my seat because I wanted to finish the book and know Verity’s life changes. It’s basically a reflection of the modern world that we live in and its positives and imperfections. Truly a wonderful read.
Nadia Khaerunnisa
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Poemsia is a modern fairy tale. A light reading with beautiful word choices here and there. You won't fall into a killing downward, because turnarounds will catch you that fast.
Very enjoyable~

If you have ever wondered how it feels to be a poet or writer or musicians or anything that feels like reaching your dream, being famous and influential, this book will show you each of the flipside.
Nikki
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I’ve been in a book rut for awhile and Poemsia has taken me out of it. I’ve been a Lang leav fan for years and I was so excited to hear that she was coming out with her second novel. I’ve loved every single word I read from this book. The story just felt so genuine and sincere-I simply couldn’t get enough. It’s definitely one of my favorite novels 💕
Rehan Abd Jamil
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Love it to bits!
irem
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I would probably say that Lang Leav is my favorite poet. Three of her poetry collections are on my favorite books shelf here on goodreads. I love how honest she is and how unafraid she is to come across stupid or cliché or cringey or even obsessed or problematic. She writes how she feels regardless of how cheesy it might sound and she doesn't feel shame for it. She can write the type of thing you would immediately think as pretentious or shallow if you read it from someone else but you can feel ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
UNTITLED.: November - Poemsia by Lang Leav 1 6 Dec 13, 2019 09:28PM

• Cult of Two
  • Winter of Summers
  • Dirty Pretty Things
  • Bitter Sweet Love
  • Smoke & Mirrors
  • Para Kay B (o kung paano dinevastate ng pag-ibig ang 4 out of 5 sa atin)
  • Her Vol. 2
  • His Royal Highness
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Reputation
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Swimming Lessons: Poems
  • More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • Modern Love: True Stories of Love, Loss, and Redemption
  • Life for Sale
  • A Funeral For Our Butterflies
Novelist and poet, Lang Leav is an international bestselling author and winner of a Qantas Spirit of Youth Award, Churchill Fellowship and Goodreads Choice Award. Often credited with popularizing poetry among a new generation of young readers, Lang’s poetry books, and hit novel, Sad Girls continue to top best seller charts around the world.

Lang has been featured on CNN, SBS Australia, Intelligence

Articles featuring this book

Every December, as we wrap up our annual Goodreads Reading Challenge, we ask our book-loving colleagues a simple yet incredibly tough...
“In the words of Jean de La Fountaine, 'A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.” 11 likes
“Whatever path you choose will take you to the same destination. The only thing that should guide you is your intuition.” 6 likes