Start by marking “Fowl Language: Winging It” as Want to Read:
Fowl Language: Winging It

Fowl Language: Winging It

(Fowl Language #3)

The perfect gift for baby showers and for those already in the throes of parenting, Fowl Language: Children are a Gift is here to let you know that you're not alone. Parenting is hard and often gross. Laughing about it helps.

Everyone's favorite parenting cartoon featuring ducks presents a comprehensive view of the early parenting years in all of their maddening cuteness a
Published October 22nd 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Fowl Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fowl Language

Start your review of Fowl Language: Winging It
MischaS_
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, arc, english
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love Fowl Language! When I used to have an Instagram account I used to follow it!
I feared a bit that it would feel old and something I already have seen, however, there were so many strips I was not familiar before. Which is a huge plus for me.

There is not much else for me to say, other than if you are not familiar with Fowl Language it's something you should give a chance!
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
*funny and entertaining*
One of those parenting books done well.
The illustrations are funny and the situations that parents face are portrayed well in a funny way. But thinking about the situations that parents face, I felt like crying. And with these mix emotions of laughing shadowed by gratitude towards how much my parents must have gone through raising four of us, I was quite enjoying this book. And yes, I want more of this series. Kudos to the author and the publishing team for such an amazin
Amie's Book Reviews
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Parenting is hard. Ask anyone who has ever raised kids, or who is currently raising them, they'll tell you - it is damn hard. Anyone who disagrees is probably childless, delusional, or they are lying.

Parenting is a full-contact sport where the parent juggles multiple roles. Not only are they the players, but they are also the coach, the referee and the spectators. Also, since the kids keep aging, the rules are constantly changing. Sound like a fun sport?

I swear most parenting books were writte
Jodi
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I first encountered Brian Gordon's Fowl Language comics online, being shared on social media. Gordon puts clever jokes in the mouths, er, beaks of ducks, including an adorable yellow boy duckling and pink girl duckling. Many of his spare panel-style comics involve parenting those little ducklings. It is, as Gordon states several times in this collection, a challenge.

Chapters collect several comics under a topical heading with a brief essay by Gordon. The chapters reflect the chronological stages
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fowl Language : Winging it by Brian Gordon
Available to Read and review on NetGalley

If you read any parenting book this year make sure this is it!! Absolutely hilarious because it is true in every way!! From babies to pooping to growing up I laughed until I cried. Fantastic illustrations which are also hilarious!! Highly recommend if your thinking of having kids, had kids or related to kids lol!!! Rated 5/5 on Goodreads
Melissa
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved Brian Gordon’s work. I love the realistic approach to parenting in his comics, complete with curse words.

I enjoyed that this book not only included his signature comics, but also included essays on the specific subjects at the beginning of each section. If you’re a parent who gets that humor (and a little cursing) are a must for parenting, this book is for you.

I received an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Erin
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brian Gordon has nailed this parenting thing. Or at least, the painfully honest - and consequently hilarious - way of depicting it. His latest book is a combination of spot-on comics and humorously insightful essays about everything from potty training to holidays. Gordon may be "Winging It", but we are so glad to be along for the ride!
Anjana
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have reviewed the previous book: Fowl Language: The Struggle Is Real and am a regular follower of the author on Instagram. I jumped at the chance of reviewing an advance copy of this latest collection, and my review is completely based on my own reading experience.

It is different from just reading the comic strips because there is more emotion in the introduction to the chapter in which the author bares his soul than in the comics themselves. Quite a few of them I had previously seen on the fr
Kathy
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoyed this book. I loved Brian Gordon's anecdotes and stories on the journey of parenthood. The book was well set out, starting from pregnancy and tracking through the primary school years. The comics themselves were generally single frame pictures - more could have been done with them. But I definitely enjoyed it. Teens would probably enjoy the comics, parents will definitely relate. Very amusing. Definitely getting a copy for a friend about to be a new dad.

I received this book from
Lin
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant. It perfectly portraits a family with kids. The shenanigans and everything you get when you sign up to be a parent. It is funny, quirky and heartfelt. Totally can relate to everything as a person who used to work as a nanny, cannot recommend it high enough. Every person should read.
Steff Pasciuti
| Reader Fox Blog |

Ha, if you're ever up for a laugh, I will a million times suggest you go pick up one of Brian Gordon's Fowl Language comics. In fact, I would suggest just taking some time out of your day to just visit his website. And then go and buy yourself copies of his books for good measure. This particular one, Winging It: The Art of Imperfect Parenting isn't out until October, but let me just tell you that there are always some truly amazing pieces of comedy gold in anything Brian
Sharon Tyler
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fowl Language: Winging It The Art of Imperfect Parenting by Brian Gordon is here to remind parents that they are not alone. Parenting is hard and often gross. Laughing about it helps. This comic collection offers readers a comprehensive view of the early parenting years in all of their maddening cuteness and sanity-depriving chaos. The book features some favorites as well as dozens of previously unpublished cartoons organized into 12 thematic chapters—including "Babies: Oh Dear God, What Have We ...more
Jeremy
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I really loved this book. I found it to be an awesome collection of a really hilarious comic. The humour and dialogue is almost always perfect. I also thought the reflections throughout the book were interesting, too. This is one of my favourite comic series, so I loved the book.
Denice Langley
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely entertaining look at parenthood...until you meet yourself in one of the comics! I've seen a few of Brian Gordon's "hits close to home" comics but I did not realize the number of times I'd recognize myself when I paged through this collection. Yes, it's a humorous look at family life but we can all use a humor to help make it through the day. Now I'm going to recommend this book to my reading circle and go search for more of his life illustrations.
J Earl
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brian Gordon's Fowl Language: Winging It has something for just about everybody. The humor is centered on parenting but the appeal is not limited to just parents.

I tend to not want much exposition in any graphic works I read, and this book has a very short essay to introduce each of the 12 thematic chapters. Yet in this case I think they helped to both make the book a more coherent whole and give it even more of a personal touch (especially for any readers who might not be familiar with the comi
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Fowl Language: Winging It through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Fowl Language is a hilarious webcomic run by Brian Gordon – and this book celebrate some of the funniest moments in one nice compilation (one of several, actually). So if you’re a fan of the duck comics full of child focused humor, then this book will be perfect for you.
Fowl Language: Winging It: The Art of Imperfect Parenting is everything fans could hope for. Some of the series best co
Wayne McCoy
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Fowl Language: Winging It-The Art of Imperfect Parenting' by Brian Gordon is a collection of essays and comics that will look familiar to most folks.

This book is organized in to sections like Babies, Sleep, Holidays, and Growing Up Too Fast. Each section begins with a funny and heartfelt essay, then includes themed comics for the section.

This may be one of the most heartfelt and honest parenting books I've ever read. The author admits his own faults and owns the fact that he is no perfect paren
Cherry London
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another literal and humorous look at parenting and I have to agree with the author most of the time we parents don’t have a clue as to what we are doing. It’s a fun way to look at ourselves as we strut around being such proud parents while making a mess most of the time.
WS_BOOKCLUB
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with this book, in exchange for my honest opinion. It will be available to purchase on October twenty second.

Who knew that it would be possible for me to relate so much to a duck? I struggle with reading graphic novels, but I love a good web comic. Back in the day, I used to read Penny Arcade, and comics along those lines. Then, one fated night, long after the cranky baby should have been sleeping, while surfing Facebook in an effort to stay awake myself,
Tina
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very funny, relatable comics about the joys and wonders of parenting. Like how Kids drive us bonkers, but we love them anyway, coffee is magic, and our lives revolve around snacks.
Once Upon a Biblio
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
**I received this from NetGalley for an honest review. **

Illustrations: ★★★★☆
What pulled me in was the cover art. I noticed the ducks and it struck me as a familiar character. The colors and style of drawing meshed really well together.

Character Development: ★★★☆☆
The primary focus was father duck and his relationship with his two children. A little boy and girl duckling. I gave it a score of three only because the storyline for the characters didn't develop pass the totally relatable everyday h
Becky B
A collection of comics on parenting organized by topic. Each section starts with the comic artist’s reflections on the topic and his own parenting experiences.

I’m not a parent, but I have several friends and family members who are. And I also work with kids for an occupation so I definitely get the humor even without experiencing these situations as a parent. I could’ve done without some of the swearing (it would’ve been just as funny without it), but I guess the name should’ve clued me in. My f
Bunny
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-in-19

I really enjoy this series. An honest look at parenting, the good, the bad, the ugly. As a child-free-by-choicer who adores her godchildren and is a fantastic aunt 2/3 of the time, I especially enjoy this series. Because Brian Gordon showcases all the parts I adore, and pokes fun at all the things that cause me to never want to have children of my own.

This series is broken down into different aspects of parenting young children, from infancy to "dear god, would you please stop growing up so qui
Michelle
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been following Brian Gordon for a few years and have thoroughly enjoyed his Fowl Language comics.
If you have children or been around children, you will laugh your way through this book. So many of these captions are relatable. From a newborn screaming and being a frazzled new parent to kicking them out the door when school starts back up. You will laugh because they are all true. Every single one. You will not feel alone.
Each section is prefaced with a little write-up from the cartoonis
Theediscerning
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A pleasant enough book of themed one-pagers, from a comic artist who has turned himself and his children into ducks, but hardly ever got round to mentioning their mother whatsoever, whether in the strips or the introductory essays. Some chapters here are only going to be for those who really like and empathise with the whole parenting shtick (here's looking at you, the poop section) but on the whole it's warm enough, and easy to connect with. Three and a half stars.
Lindsay
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God I laughed way too hard and related to way to many of the comics that Brian Gordon has created for Fowl Language Winging It. What a funny and irrelevant book on parenting. Every new parent need to read this!

I received a free review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest unedited feedback.

#read #reader #book #bookstagram #readersofinstagram #bookreview #greatreads #alwaysreading #reading #ilovebooks #currentreads #bookaddict #booknerd #bookish #bibliophile #goodreads #reader
Shannon Patterson
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I saw this book I jumped on it right away. I've been a huge fan of Brian Gordon's ever since first coming across his comics on Facebook. Fowl Language was just what I expected. All the comics were super relatable and showcased some actual problems parents face but with a humorous touch. It makes everything much lighter to know your own struggles are the same or similar to everyone else. It's truly a wonderful thing to be able to laugh and trust me this book will put you right there.

I receiv
Audrey  Adamson Stars in Her Eye
Though I have no children, I have worked with them since I was 18. I have always appreciated that parents had them full time and whatever experience I had, parts had it 100 times worse. Fowl Language shows me this is true. So I laugh at how funny the content is and with solidarity with parents.
I love that Brian Gordon tells it how it is and is so relatable. The ducks make it cute and not so relatable it hurts.
I would recommend this 100 percent for a good laugh.

I received an ARC through NetGally
Jen
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely adorable. I didn't really know what to expect going into this. I am a mother and I also had a son who was colic. I laughed so much I cried. I only wish I would have had this book when my children were in their younger years. As a parent it is always helpful to know that the tough time you go through and the challenges you face are some of the same that other parents are facing.
Must have for parents to be!
Coco Harris
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love following Brian Gordon's instagram page "@fowllanguagecomics & seeing snippets of his comics. This collection fulfilled all expectations. He organized his work to tell the story of parenthood in such an amusing and truthful way! I especially loved each chapter's introduction where he shares more insights behind the comics. A funny, quick, and light read. I will purchase this for friends, along with a bottle of wine, for when parent life get's tough. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Safely Endangered Comics
  • Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood: Berkeley Mews Comics
  • The Awkward Yeti Presents: How I Broke Up with My Colon: Fascinating, Bizarre, and True Health Stories
  • War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers
  • Heart and Brain: Gut Instincts: An Awkward Yeti Collection
  • Fowl Language: The Struggle Is Real
  • Heart and Brain: Body Language: An Awkward Yeti Collection
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
  • Bird Brain: Comics About Mental Health, Starring Pigeons
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • Fowl Language: Welcome to Parenting
  • Success Is 90% Spite: (The Pigeon Gazette Webcomic Book, Funny Web Comic Gift by @thepigeongazette)
  • Lunarbaboon: The Daily Life of Parenthood
  • Heart and Brain: An Awkward Yeti Collection
  • Poorlier Drawn Lines (Poorly Drawn Lines, #3)
  • Stranger Planet (Strange Planet, #2)
  • Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes: Owlturd Comix
  • oh no
Hi. I’m Brian Gordon. Thanks for dropping by.

I decided in kindergarten that I wanted to be a cartoonist. My classmates had equally unrealistic life goals, like becoming superheroes or princesses, but I was more tenacious.

So far, things are working out okay. Secret to my success? I suck worse at everything else. You get a lot of drawing done when Plan B is Starve To Death.

My comics are largely in

Fowl Language (3 books)