Start by marking “Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood: Berkeley Mews Comics” as Want to Read:
Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood: Berkeley Mews Comics

Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood: Berkeley Mews Comics

Berkeley Mews' appealing, accessible art style belies a cartoon world of dark humor, dry wit, and irreverent reimaginings of popular culture. In Berkeley Mews, bad things happen to good people, good things happen to bad people, and everything usually ends in disappointment or death. Satisfaction guaranteed!

A subversive, hilarious, dark-but-uplifting collection of comics skew
Published October 1st 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood

MischaS_
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, arc, english
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I very much believe that my assessment or impression from this book is clouded/influenced by two things. I enjoy this dark or even cruel humour, some people may find it horrible or even disgusting, and I totally respect that.
Furthermore, I was in a bit of a down mood, did not want to go to sleep, I did not enjoy the movie my family was watching, I did not feel like reading, so I went
Sam Quixote
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-comics-2019
Andrews McMeel has made a pretty successful business publishing the best gag comics the internet has to offer, giving us the likes of The Oatmeal and Sarah Andersen, along with some of the crummiest like Soppy and Man, I Hate Cursive. Fortunately, Ben Zaehringer’s Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood from berkeleymews.com is among their better titles.

The format is mostly the classic three panel strip and, while your mileage may vary given that everyone’s comedic tastes are different, I thought the maj
La Coccinelle
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, comic, netgalley, adult
I don't think I was that familiar with these comics before reading this book. I may have seen one or two here and there online, but never really paid much attention. Collections like this can be hit or miss; sometimes it seems like there's just too much all in one place. But I actually found that the selections here are so diverse that I didn't really get bored or feel like I was seeing too much repetition.

Some of these are laugh-out-loud funny. Some will make you think. There are pl
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, humor, cartoons
You've probably seen them posted as memes on the social media of your choice. Little snippets of dark humor.

So, if you like this sort of funniness with a bite, then here is a whole collection of the same.

The problem is, like eating cake, if you have it all at once, the humor starts to be repetitive. How many times can bad things happen to the main character?

The book is a collection of mildly amusing cartoons, but I found, that I only really laughed at a few.

But, since humor is subjective, if you already like B
Valéria.
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I've already seen most of them, but they still made me smile, some of them laugh even.
Morris
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed most of the comics in this collection. If you don't have a dark sense of humor it may be better to give this one a pass, but if you do, then definitely give it a try.

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Sadly, this didn't do a lot for me! I usually really like these little comic bind-ups, but I wasn't overly familiar with Berkeley Mews Comics, so I knew it would either be really fun and new... or a whomp. It was the latter, unfortunately. I don't think it was so much that there's anything "wrong" with the humor here, I just felt like it wasn't trying very hard to be legitimately funny? And I saw these comics being hyped as pretty dark humor, which I tend to be a fan of, but I didn't think this was da ...more
Kelly ...
I wanted to love this one and to be charmed and entertained but I struggled with this book and I couldn't figure out who the audience is. My complaints are: 1. Each page is a new story, but some of them fall flat and would be so much better if they were extended to a few pages in length. 2. None of the stories flow from one to the next and it lacks a theme. What I liked: The art is simple in appearance and I liked it for that reason.

I want to thank Netgalley, Ben Zaehringer and Berke
Reading Tam Ishly
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
*not what I expected*
I wanted to enjoy this comic so much but it came out somewhat underwhelming and lacking in humour. Maybe my expectations were too high when I picked it up. I wanted to relate to the comic but somehow it came out to be a bit over the top sometimes and sometimes trying too hard to make things funny. I am and always will be a fan of dark humour.
With the hope that I find another book by the author really enjoyable, I am looking forward to more books by the author. ...more
Zainab
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this a LOT.
Hizatul Akmah
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
actual rating: 3.2/5 ⭐

it was an entertaining collection of dark humour comics. but unfortunately, some of them are really bland. most of us have probably heard/read them somewhere before.
anyway, i would still recommend this book as a light read!

disclaimer: thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with the digital ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Kalyn Woodbury
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Short book filled with cute, witty comics. I didn't like all of them, but most of them were pretty dang adorable and/or funny!
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

When I spotted this book on here I was interested, but it wasn’t until I went on Twitter to find the artist that I saw this comic collection would be perfect for me. I read a few comics on twitter, laughed aloud, showed them to my hubbie who also laughed aloud. And then I requested the book on here.

And then two days ago I started reading this collection and OH BOY, I had so much fun reading it. The comics
A
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was an interesting little collection! I know that a lot, if not all, of the little comics featured in this book originally started as web comics. I can totally imagine these popping up on my Twitter or Instagram feeds, and a few of them made me really laugh. Some of them, however, fell a little flat, and because there is no continuous storyline and they're all so short, it felt kind of like an abrupt joke book. The theme of "ruining your childhood" wasn't super consistent throughout it, and ...more
HollyLovesBooks
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
These were a mixture of some laugh out loud funny and other's charming and sweet and still other's that were not either. That may have been a generational thing more than the actual comic value of each though. I could definitely see that many were "to be appreciated" by the younger generations who use all versions of social media fluidly. Overall, this was a pleasure to go through. My son sends me a daily (and random) clip of either football in the south or a clip of a comic strip that is a good ...more
Monte Brogdon
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I got this book from NetGalley and it seemed promising based on the title. It disappointed. The comics were fine but I was confused as to the purpose of the book itself. Maybe if they were funnier, it would be better, but they weren't that funny.
Etienne
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another web comic book. Very quick read as always. I have to admit some of them make me laugh, not much but some, most make me smile. Nothing extraordinary but above the majority of this genre!
Didi
A collection of webcomics, some I’ve seen before on Instagram. Short and fast read to perk you up when you need cheering up.

#SorryIRuinedYourChildhood #Netgalley
Steff Pasciuti
Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood by Ben Zaehringer is a collection of comics, many of which derive inspiration from various medias many first experienced in childhood. As a Disney raised person, the ones that featured The Little Mermaid and Cinderella were the ones I recognized the most, as Zaehringer mixes in some rather dark and yet realistic humor to make us think about some aspects of the original stories that perhaps we hadn't before.

With simple artwork, Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood exists as quick and clever coartwork, Sorry
Jodi
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The title of this collection of comics, Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood, is apt. Ben Zaehringer's Berkeley Mews, which can be found on Instagram and at GoComics.com, is a spare panel-style web comic that skewers pop culture icons and tropes. Subjects range from the Smurfs to sci-fi to classic literature. There are no story arcs or recurring characters. Zaehringer draws average people in a very simplistic, almost stick figure form, with skin in odd colors. However, characters such as the Sesame Str ...more
Elly (imaginemorebooks)
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
*** I received an ARC of this comic from Andrews McMeel Publishing and NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. However, this does not influence my opinions in any way.***

Publication Date: October 1, 2019

4.5/5 Stars

If you are the kind of person who gets lost on the internet looking at memes, this is the comic for you. This is a collection of short dark humor memes touching on topics of life and childhood nostalgia.

Personally, I loved this comic. I zoomed th
Ayra Pirante
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thanks Netgalley for a free copy of this book!

It's a pretty fun coffee table book that house guests will have a good laugh. There were various art styles throughout the whole book, which I surprisingly don't mind. I related to some of them and had a good chuckle. For some, I was wildly surprise because I haven't considered it as a child, but as a young adult now, it does makes sense. There were a few which I didn't get the reference, if any, but were still quite funny enough. Some, I
Mo
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC given by NetGalley for Honest Review
[3.5 Stars]

I got some good chuckles out of going through this. Silly, witty, and a little crude. This is something that makes a great coffee table book or something to give a friend who needs some cheering up. Many of the comics are ones already featured and viral on the internet but were still as humorous as ever.

This isn't something I am going to be purchasing for my library only because (and I've noticed this with many webcomics that go to hard pr/>[3.5
Arvenig
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
First of all thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
My rating: 3.5 out 5 stars

This is a short collection of funny comics perfect for people who love memes!
I have to admit that not every comic made me laugh, but I really liked some of them. I loved the pop culture references and the art style.
In my opinion this would be a great book to reread when you feel a bit down or you're just in the mood for som
Oldřiška
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection of comics is pretty great if you love dark humour. I found almost every page funny and I chuckled to a lot of the comics. The art style is pretty simple, but I liked it, and one can't really expect any breathtaking artwork from a gag comic. To keep it short - this short book is pretty funny and would make a great gift for somebody with wry/dark humour and common knowledge of pop culture.

An arc was kindly provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange fo
Sarah Z
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really really enjoyed this. I wasn’t sure what to expect since I haven’t read any of his comics before, but this had me laughing out loud when I was trying to go to sleep. This was my childhood, so I actually understood all of the references. They were funny, witty, and well thought out. I’d often flip back to a random page and I’d notice something else which made it even more funny.

Loved it. Well don
Casey Cassidy
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was so cute, and so funny. There were some unique things in here that did actually make me laugh, which I wasn't expecting. (Well my version of "laughing" at books which tends to involve either breathing out fast through my nose or snorting slightly).

I'd definitely recommend people picking this up to check out - it's fun, quick, surprisingly light.

content warnings: death, anxiety religion (so many b
Lindsay
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I mean there isn’t anything overly intelligent I can say in regards to this book. It is a book of ridiculous, sometimes dark comics. If that’s your thing this book is for you. Luckily it’s my kind of thing.

I received a free review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest unedited feedback.

#read #reader #book #bookstagram #readersofinstagram #bookreview #greatreads #alwaysreading #reading #ilovebooks #currentreads #bookaddict #booknerd #bookish #bibliophile #goodreads #readerlife #book
Mark Martinico
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
A delightful, cynical, laugh-out-loud collection of 3-panel comic strips, that balances an even mix of wickedly dark humor, with genuinely touching moments. The illustrations are endlessly charming and endearing - especially when paired with a dark scenario - and go a long way toward making this book just as enjoyable on the second or third reading. Not every page made me physically laugh, but most did. And they all made me smile.
I received a free advanced copy of this book from Netgalley,
Nour Boukhris
Sep 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
* I recieved a copy from the publisher in exchange of my honest review *
1.5
So I've read this "book" and I don't really know what to think about . I really like some pages but I found myself skimming through it rather than enjoying it . I would've loved to have these as twitter posts but I guess not as book because it bored me so quickly , plus it is so expensive considering its content .
I guess it wasn't for me and I'm so thankful that I got an early copy .
« previous 1 3 next »