Start by marking “Baby: A Soppy Story” as Want to Read:
Baby: A Soppy Story

Baby: A Soppy Story

BABY: A Soppy Storyfocuses on the small, everyday moments of parenthood. From dreaming about the future baby and making plans, to actually being there with a real baby and bumbling through each precious day.

From a #1 New York Times best-selling graphic novelist comes BABY, a collection of all new comics and illustrations about the small, intimate moments of a couple
Published January 14th 2020 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby

Start your review of Baby: A Soppy Story
Emma
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book was so sweet! I think it perfectly captures parenthood: the anticipation and fears that people feel when they discover they are expecting a baby and also what happens in their life when that baby finally comes. Parenthood definitely is a whirlwind of emotions and these comics show it so well and in such a nice and cute way. I love how the author fully represented the everyday life with a
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute, but true to the bone, of getting pregnant and having a baby, and all the joys and exhaustion alone the way, but with the humor that Phillippa has shown in her past cartoons.

The humor plays on how baby changes everything, but also Philipp's love for her husband, no matter what. and for the baby as well.

Perfect for new moms, and others who still remember what the early months are like.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Etienne
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Another of those web comic, or kind of, turn into a book. The art was fun, bu the humor and «story» style didn't please me. I don,t have children so maybe parents or soon to be parents might enjoy it more, but other then the pregnancy, I just never related to that couple in any possible way!
Mehsi
I received this comic from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I absolutely adored the first book by this author/illustrator and so I was out of my mind excited when I spotted this book on Netgalley. Of course I had to request it, of course I had to read it. And read I did. As soon as I got the book I went to reading.

This one still focuses on Phillipa Rice and her boyfriend and their life together, however this time there is a new addition to the family, a tiny little baby. Her name is
Amit Verma
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
It is a graphic novel tracking journey of a young couple from their conception to their life after birth of their first kid.
It is funny and touches every aspect of a pregnancy.
Artwork is simple. Just adequate to be enjoyed in a graphic novel.
Cozy relationship of couple and their mutual cooperation is heart warming to read.
It is less about baby and more about parents who struggle a lot to help propogate their family and to care for newborn.
Admirable part is focus on positive moments of pregnancy
Carina
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love Philippa's humor and art style. I loved Soppy and had to read this one. I haven't been pregnant but I know close people who had been. So I found this book real in different ways. Every struggle she had in the book is something real people face up every single day. Such as not sleeping, laundry all day, telling other people what to do but also being frustrated when someone asks them what to do with the baby.
It was an
Bruna Oliveira
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adored Soppy, so I had high expectations for this one and I was not disappointed!
Whereas in the first comic we had a relationship being developed, in here we have this couple in a steady relationship and finding out they're expecting.
Even though I'm not a mother, it was very easy to relate to all the steps between expecting and actually having a newborn at home. It was funny, cute and down to earth. I highly recommend it if you enjoyed the first one :)
Jinghay (TheSecretNoceur)
I received a copy of this comic in return for an honest review.

'Baby' is a short comic book that depicts the highs and lows of pregnancy life, along with the authors own experiences regarding parenthood.

Firstly, I would just like to say that as my first comic book from Philippa Rice, she has completely won my heart over with her adorable drawings and I will definitely be reading all of her future works

I really enjoyed seeing how the author could depict wonderfully illustrated and detailed
Read With Malak
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from NetGalley in return for an honest review!

I absolutely LOVED this graphic novel. It was such a cute and easy read to get me out of the reading slump I was in. It shows the true meaning of what new motherhood is like & let me tell you it is spot on. The illustrations were perfectly fitted for each page. I also love that it not only showed post birth but it shows what mothers feel from the moment they are finding out they are expecting. This was just so cute! i can't get
Audrey
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This was really cute! I wish I had read the first Soppy novel first, just because my favorite parts of this one actually came before the baby was born, and focused more on the relationship. However, this was a super cute story, and I enjoyed the simple art style and little jokes. I think you would probably relate to it a bit more if you've ever actually had a child. I also kept thinking while reading it that it would be a great baby shower present.
Tamader Morgan
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
i was offered an arc by Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review

this graphic novel was so cute! i enjoyed the art and the dialogue, but i found it very short. overall, it was a fun read. i highly recommend it if you want a quick and warm graphic novel.
Ruth
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a cute collection, but not very deep or inspired. I would recommend Kid Gloves over this collection for sure
geena ✨
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
arc from netgalley

this is so cute, I love the art style so much
Anniek
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I received an eARC of this book through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

Let me preface this by saying I haven't read Soppy. It has been on my radar though, and when I saw Baby on Netgalley I thought I'd give it a shot to see if I'd enjoy it. And I absolutely loved it! The art style is amazing, simple but meaningful. And the story and art combined make for such a soft, sweet read. Very wholesome. I thought this worked very well as a standalone as well.
Li Or
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Philippa Rice's first Soppy graphic novel, so when I saw this new book I HAD to read it! It was just as adorable as expected!

Like Soppy (which is all about everyday moments in a loving relationship), Baby is also about everyday life. It is not so much a story as it is a family album of snapshots of Philippa & Luke's life. It gives a look into the cute, ordinary, and sometimes emotionally difficult, everyday real moments involved during a relationship pre-baby, during-baby-growing and
Neriah Samraksha
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
"Mom: Big Burpo!
Dad: Did you call me
Mom: Only if you identify as 'big burpo'."

I have become quite a fan of works published by Andrews Mcmeel! I cannot think of a book published by them that has got me down as a reader! I am always excited about whatever they have in store. This one was such a relaxing read for me! It gives an insight into becoming parents for the first time: all the baby shopping, lessons and everything a parent does to ensure themselves ready when the baby comes. It also shows
Theediscerning
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Definitely a 'Soppy' book, as per the debut volume in the series, but I have to say it kind of killed the series for me. Babies are something I certainly do not get soppy about, and the fact this well-designed book just carries on being black and white and red without the brown and green poo babies bring is evidence it stretches the reality a bit too much. Certainly before the birth the book is wonderful, and silent pages with their single image really manage to wordlessly capture all the ...more
Laci Long || Book Pairings
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved Phillippa Rice’s first graphic novel, Soppy, so I was excited to pick up her second, Baby: A Soppy Story. If you’ve read Soppy and loved the art style and minimal text you will likely enjoy Baby as well. Rice has a gift of conveying emotion in her drawings so that additional text is not needed to understand the story she is telling.

In Baby, we follow Rice and her partner through their experience of deciding to have a baby and subsequently having a baby. We get a glimpse into the small
Bethany
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it

This review is based on an ARC ebook received for free from NetGalley. I am not being paid to review this book and what I write here is my own opinion. My rating scale is below.

review
I admit, I may not be the target demographic for this book. I am a Millennial, and I do live with my partner, but we are not considering a child at this point, and we definitely have not had a child at this point, so while I can nod at these comics and say, "That sure seems like a thing that would happen if
Jamie Lovett
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Philippa Rice follows up her love story Soppy with a new chapter chronicling the couple’s first foray into parenthood in Baby. The volume reads like a collection of newspaper dailies, with minimalist but vibrant art. The pages break down the experience of being a new parent into snapshots of moments. The structure is something more natural than forcing a single overarching narrative. These are memories made manifest in the way we recall them from our own minds. The moments when Rice chooses to ...more
Momo
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blogger at Momotips

Thanks to Andrews McMeel Publishing and Netgalley for providing me with an eARC of this graphic novel in exchange for an honest review. It has not influenced my opinions.

I needed something to clear my head, and Baby was exactly what I needed! I knew it was going to be something fun and entertaining to read. First of all, I want to say that it's so cute!!! I loved how the emotions are described and lived. The reader manages to feel what Soppy and Luke are going through during
Vanessa
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Philippa Rice's work so much that I immediately started reading this book right after Andrews McMeel Publishing approved my advance copy request. I couldn't think of doing anything else!!

And I wasn't disappointed at all. "Baby" is hilarious!!

I love when she tells him "Stop asking me about every tiny thing. Figure it out for yourself!" and then literally comes back on the next page telling him to use cream, to do this, this, this and that. Omg, all moms are really the same.

The struggle
Karen
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read "Soppy" a few years ago and fell in love with the storytelling and unique illustrations. "Baby" is equally adorable. This book is a true and relatable look into the life of new parents, as well as educational for those who do not know what to expect. I recommend this book to anyone who loved "Soppy" and appreciates true life storytelling in comic form. Also, this book would make a great gift for someone who is expecting. I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange ...more
Johnna | abookinmybag
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and Phillipa Rice for early access to "Baby"!

This was so Relatable! I loved every single page. I thought Phillipa Rice was able to create something that showcased the good, bad, weird and wonderful of having a new baby and the art is just so charming. I had a great time reading it and found myself smiling and connecting with the feelings of joy, insecurity and frustration that the two parents faced.

Phillips Rice is a favorite and this just adds to that feeling. Absolutely
Perpetualreadingfrenzy
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received an eARC by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

'Baby: A Soppy Story' portrays a young couple through their lives as they find out they are expecting their first child, the trials and joys of pregnancy, and what life is like when your little bundle comes home.

I have to preface this by saying that I have not read any of the other 'Soppy' works, but after reading this one, I would definitely Iove to. I thoroughly enjoyed this graphic novel! I loved the
Annemieke De
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A simple illustrated book written for future mommy's and daddy's.
Where the illustrations aren't the most appealing for readers and maybe not what you would expect.
At the same time this book is AMAZING!!!

Why?
The answer is very sipmle.
This book isn't showing a make-up pretend story about how beautiful it is.
Because becoming a parent is so much more than being on a pink cloud.
Breasfeeding, not enough sleep - it realy is major leaug sport.
And this are just a couple of the things about parenthood
Alice Moon
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is so cute! It is a perfect book for mummies or mum-to-be. I am a little boy's mum and I can tell this is 100% accurate. It was like going back to my pregnancy days having the same problems. And then with the baby, it almost made me cry. I thought I am the only one with these kind of moments and thoughts. I am relieved that I am not crazy.
This book is for every mummies and daddies to remember how was when you met for the first time your little ones. And if you're thinking to have a baby
joyce w. laudon
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! If you are pregnant or know someone who is, this would make a great gift, for yourself of them. This is a comic/graphic novel that shows a heterosexual couple falling in love, establishing a life together, experiencing a pregnancy and becoming parents with all of the ups and downs that this entails. The illustrations are sooo adorable and emotive. This is a sweet yet honest look at an important stage in life. Highly recommended! I give it five stars.

Thanks to NetGalley and
Mandie
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Baby is a sweet, yet real, take on pregnancy and having a new baby. The author reminds the reader of the challenges that exist for new parents without glossing over them. While I may not be a parent or an expecting parent, I've been around enough to be able to see my friends and family in the characters. I thought I might get tired of the same use of color, but I didn't. It helped to draw me in further. This is a cute, easy one-sitting read.

This was an ARC recommended via NetGalley.
Vanessa
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, graphic-novels
Recieved in exchange for an honest review.

A sequel to Soppy!!! I'm so pleased I liked this just as much as the first one. As someone who has never had a baby, I still managed to enjoy this and see my sister in laws in this character. Soppy is such a feel good comic about love and the family you choose - about the little things in life that are special. This would make a nice little present for a couple ready to start a family.

• Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • The Hard Tomorrow
  • I Dream of a Journey
  • I Hope You Stay
  • Little Cheetah's Shadow
  • You Can't Kill Me Twice: (So Please Treat Me Right)
  • Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood: Berkeley Mews Comics
  • Bird Brain: Comics About Mental Health, Starring Pigeons
  • Fights: One Boy's Triumph Over Violence
  • Black Canary: Ignite
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
Philippa Rice is an artist who works in a number of different mediums including comics, illustration, animation, model making and crochet.

Her works include the collage based webcomic, My Cardboard Life, and her auto-biographical comics, Soppy.

Philippa grew up in London and now she lives in Nottingham with illustrator Luke Pearson.