Start by marking “The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing” as Want to Read:

The first Navajo woman surgeon combines western medicine and traditional healing.

A spellbinding journey between two worlds, this remarkable book describes surgeon Lori Arviso Alvord's struggles to bring modern medicine to the Navajo reservation in Gallup, New Mexico—and to bring the values of her people to a medical care system in danger of losing its heart.

Dr. Alvord left
Published June 6th 2000 by Bantam (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Scalpel and the Silver Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scalpel and the Silver Bear

Sabrina
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this concept: "Navajo people have a concept called [Walking in Beauty], but it isn't the beauty that most people think of. Beauty to Navajos means living in balance and harmony with yourself and the world. It means caring for yourself--mind, body, and spirit--and having the right relationships with your family, community, the animal world, the environment--earth, air, and water--our planet and universe. If a person respects and honors all these relationships, then they will be Walking in B ...more
Stephanie
Dec 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
It is always fun to read a book in which you find the names of people you have known in the past. In this book appear Alan Waxman MD an OB-GYN with whom I worked at the Alaska Native Medical Center in 1979, and Brooke Medicine Eagle with whom I did a vision quest in Montana. They each only get a sentence , but it was a pleasant surprise. The Beauty Way is the pathway Navajos seek to walk in life. This is a life in harmony with family, community, and nature. If a person disrupts this harmony then ...more
Shomeret
When I first encountered this book, I wondered how she overcame the Navajo prohibition against contact with the spirits of the dead referred to as chindi in so many Tony Hillerman novels. This barrier, and my curiosity about how traditional Navajo healing became part of her medical practice, were what drove my interest in reading this memoir.

I thought that Alvord's experiences were fascinating, and that she had a number of valuable insights to share with readers. I also felt that The Scalpel and
Kristin
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I really enjoyed this non-fiction account of the life journey of the first female Navajo surgeon. It is short and simply written. This book reminds us all of some of the problems in medicine, and how all the technology in the world is useless without harmony and balance in the patient's life. Lori Arviso Alvord does such a nice job of explaining how she brought these two worlds together for the benefit of her patients. It's a lessen everyone in the healthcare industry would do well to study.
Isabel McIlhenny
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read quite a few memoirs in the past few weeks, and all of them, including this one, have given me insight into the lives of different people in America. It has been interesting to see how where you grew up, and the community you grew up in can have an effect on your life. I was extremely intrigued by Alvord’s thought that certain aspects of native culture could be beneficial if implemented in modern medicine. I like the idea that belief and comfort can have an actual effect on how peopl ...more
Sep 25, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was an assigned reading in my medical anthropology class, a subject in which I have a great deal of personal interest. Combine that with having lived in the American Southwest, particularly in New Mexico, and I found this book an interesting read. The author does an excellent job at weaving stories of the traditional medical practices of her Navajo culture in with her profession as a biomedical physician and demonstrates how important cultural context is in the framework of disease, il ...more
Julie
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in learning more about various practices in medicine
Recommended to Julie by: Healthcare Students of America (HOSA)
This was a really good book! I started reading it because it was on a reading list published by my Career Tech Student Organization for a competition.

This is a very fast reading book about a young Navajo woman named Lori who becomes a surgeon. This was a pretty big deal because typically the medical field does not recognize the cultures, customs, and ceremonies of the Navajo. Add to that, Lori is female. She overcomes many obstacles, becoming accepted at Dartmouth, and then becoming a respected
Kathy
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I appreciated this book and admire Lori Alvord for the work that she continues to do. I believe that her wisdom .....the Native American ways....apply to all of us. We need to treat our body, mind, and spirit to be well.
Gail
3.5*
I discovered this book after having watched "Medicine Woman" on PBS, the story of the first Native American female physician and her continuing impact on Native women physicians and health care administrators. The documentary was so enlightening that I sought out the memoir written by one of the contemporary physicians featured in the film. Lori Arviso Alvord, M.D. is that woman and this is her story.

Dr. Alvord is a fascinating character whose story seems in many ways miraculous. She was ed
Anne
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this read. We tend to forget people’s histories and how it impacts many generations later. The concept of this book is something to consider as we live our lives. Also we should embrace the fact that so many cultures share very similar approaches to life, health, and medicine. We all can benefit from these cultures in our daily lives. Thank you Dr. Alvord for a wonderful read as well as the journey you took to get where you are. You are an inspiration to all women, young and old.
Andrea Elkins
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: bio-memoir
Alvord provided a fascinating glimpse into the traditional Navajo culture, and describes how the impersonal, assembly-line practice of modern medicine negatively impact her patients' health. She details her own youth and medical training, her growth as a physician ad exposure to the medicine man, and the incorporation of mystical elements into holistic treatment for the whole mind and body. She'd be a fascinating dinner companion.
Catherine Newell
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know, I don't know why I bother teaching a class on religion and medicine. I should just assign my students this book and The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down and call it a day.

Except I know they would never read either book because I DO assign them (as part of their final assignment) and none of them read either one.
Dhartridge
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am rating this 4 rather than 3 stars because the combination of three interesting (to me) topics: medicine, a woman's success in a male dominated profession, and Native American experience. It is a quick and interesting read.The author is now a Dean at Dartmouth, the college I associate with Louise Erdrich and Michael Dorris.
Sheryl
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-reads
While it's no surprise that Native Americans continue to struggle, the focus on women specifically was eye-opening. While Alvord may (not quite sure on that) have been given an opening into higher education due to her demographic, she certainly deserved it. Her approach to medicine is contrary to our current culture, and very refreshing. Great choice for book club discussions.
Cindy Michael
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting and a fairly fast read. I admit to skimming through some of the pages about Navajo culture and spiritual beliefs...but since I feel there was quite a bit of repetition I don't think I missed too much.
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Fascinating to see how Alvord was successful in making a career in western medicine whilst still keeping her Native American cultural beliefs. Awesome to see her take advantage of minority opportunity and truly succeed.
Catherine
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the focus on a more holistic approach to health care, but the book was fragmented and lacked depth.
Michael Scharf
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Susan Halvor
I loved this book! The author’s story of learning to move between her Navajo culture and Western medical culture was powerful, and provides insights into both cultures. So grateful she’s found ways to integrate traditional beliefs into her medical practice and teaching ... Health care will be better for it!
Brandon Fryman
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read. medical anthropology at its best. matching cultures in order to heal.
Sue
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I first read this book while on vacation after picking it up in a hotel gift shop. (My husband and I were driving through the reservation lands of the Navajo Nation in Arizona and New Mexico, lands of stark and arresting beauty, and sometimes, stark and arresting poverty.) I recently re-read it when it was chosen as one of our book club choices, and I liked it very much all over again.

The book is a memoir of growing up surrounded by Navajo lands and culture, of leaving those lands for the opport
Eva Sanchez
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book per the recommendation of Travis Roberts and Matt Kretizer. I like the approach it took to healing as I could relate this to my personal life and having a boyfriend who had a terrible car accident in November 2014. He had a very straightforward and clinical approach to his healing at the hospital he woke up in after a two-week coma. He says at the end of a miserable day of being tied down to a chair in his room with chaos all around, all he wanted was for someone to say "Hi, how ...more
Kathryn Scannell
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice light read. I picked it up more out of interest in the Navajo perspective than from interest in the medical or health care professions, so I think in many repsects the main thrust of the book went by me..

In some ways I had a more personal experience of this book than many readers will probably have. I grew up quite close to Dartmouth College, and in fact was in high school about five miles away during the four year period she was an undergraduate at Dartmouth. I found it interes
Sue
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-books, indios
Dr. Lori Arviso describes what it’s like to be living on the edge of two cultures. She’s attempting to explain and reconcile the American ways with the Diné (Navajo) people using her medium: medicine. Interesting, good details.

She entitled her second chapter, "Walking the Path Between Worlds," from a Navajo Origin Story: So the People who started from the world below came up to this White World, and they have gone in all different directions. They were made here in the center of the earth as one
paula
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first Navajo woman surgeon chronicles her journey from a reservation in New Mexico to university and medical school. Her sense of isolation and "difference" during her training is strong, making the road more difficult, but her beliefs and upbringing enrich her practice, especially with Native patients. The Navajo respect for balance in one's life, "walking in beauty", a concept almost absent from the dominant culture, is found to make surgery and recovery smoother with fewer complications. ...more
Jme
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read and worth the while. It's a good look at what it feels like to be torn between two worlds-any two worlds. There is a lot of Navajo tradition we can see.
There are some unfortunate overgeneralizations about both cultures (Native and Western) and there are some errors about what Western medicine has and has not known in terms of the power to name a disease and the effects of music.
However, this is a personal narrative, how this woman sees the world, and that specificity has valu
Josh Sheak
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dr. Alvord tells a beautiful story about her growth in Navajo culture and the influence it had on her medical education and practice. The story was inspiring and I am glad she wrote it down to share.

Her ability to draw connection between Navajo philosophy and Western Medicine is incredible. Dr. Alvord is able to clearly explain complex Navajo beliefs and further apply them in medical scenarios. I came away from this novel with a clearer understanding of what it means to be Navajo and a physician
I wondered how this would fit into my course on Foundations of Educational Research, but the author's experience of navigating mainstream and Navajo society is certainly applicable. For example, learning about some of her beliefs as a Navajo, such as the taboo against touching the dead (a major dilemma when she had to do dissections in medical school) reminded me that my students and their families will likely hold beliefs I haven't anticipated but must consider. The ghostwriter didn't elevate t ...more
Jill
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
As I expected, this was a book on an interesting topic written by someone whose first skill isn't exactly writing, which makes for difficult reading. So much seemed to be left out, for example all of the author's college years (which sound like they were emotionally very challenging) are glossed over in a few pages. Why? Too much in some places and not enough in others. An interesting perspective on an interesting topic, but I think there are better books written on this or similar subjects.
Nicole
Oct 24, 2009 rated it liked it
A wonderful memoir of one woman's journey to becoming a surgeon from the Navajo reservation. I had the privledge of meeting the author in medical school and she is a remarkable speaker, both in person and via the written word. A very interesting description of her training and incorporation of her native cultural traditions with that of modern-day science. She has an easy-going writing style that allows the audience to become a part of her world (both the Navejo and the medical) with ease, even ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Delivering Doctor Amelia: The Story of a Gifted Young Obstetrician's Error and the Psychologist Who Helped Her
  • Grow Younger, Live Longer: Ten Steps to Reverse Aging
  • Genetic Rounds: A Doctor's Encounters in the Field that Revolutionized Medicine
  • Mankiller: A Chief and Her People
  • Unreal Estate: Money, Ambition, and the Lust for Land in Los Angeles
  • Mama Might Be Better Off Dead: The Failure of Health Care in Urban America
  • On My Own at 107: Reflections on Life Without Bessie
  • Remedy and Reaction: The Peculiar American Struggle over Health Care Reform
  • Run, Don't Walk: The Curious and Chaotic Life of a Physical Therapist Inside Walter Reed Army Medical Center
  • Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human