Start by marking “Veiled Secrets: A Whispering Pines Mystery, Book 6” as Want to Read:
Veiled Secrets: A Whispering Pines Mystery, Book 6

Veiled Secrets: A Whispering Pines Mystery, Book 6

"There are twists and turns that will keep you reading well into the night." Amazon reviewer

Help a family member or save a stranger?

In Whispering Pines, Halloween horrors involve more than goblins and ghouls.

With only a smattering of tourists visiting the village for the Samhain feast, Jayne is excited … no. She's looking forward to … no. Jayne is guardedly optimist
Published February 1st 2019 by Brown Bag Books

To ask other readers questions about Veiled Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veiled Secrets

Linda Strong
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
It's Halloween in Whispering Pines, and Jayne has her hands full. Being the Sheriff is enough of a job, but she's also involved in the villagers' Samhain celebration.

She and her boyfriend, Tripp, have a full house at their B & B, and Jayne's sister has chosen this time for a visit. It's no secret that their relationship has been a bit strained, but maybe now they can put the past behind them.

But then there's another problem ... a young boy has gone missing. The parents don't seem worried as
Sandee
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Each book in this series is better than the last. I enjoy the development of the characters and relationships as secrets are discovered and revealed. Again, we have an interesting mystery full of sub-plots and intriguing relationships. Jayne's sister comes to visit and a child disappears. It is Samhain and town festivities bring out both the fun and the strangeness of this holiday. Trust and guilt both have strong roles in the story. Intrigue and suspense continue to flow through the stories of ...more
Texas
Whispering Pines series:
Veiled Secrets #6 - I'm absolutely addicted to this series. Ms. McGuire is on my top ten list of favorite authors. This is another great addition. The story begins a month after Rival Secrets ended. There are a lot of surprises, good and bad, for everyone in Whispering Pines. Law enforcement will definitely feel the brunt of the happenings.

There are two good endings or beginnings at the end of the book. The storylines were very intriguing, suspense filled and mesmerizing
Steph Warren
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a free ARC of this book with thanks to the author. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

I can honestly say this series is getting better and better. The books do stand alone to a certain extent, but you get more of a feel for Whispering Pines and its unique residents by reading them in order, and Jayne develops as her story progresses.

While the first few books delved into Jayne’s family history and the buried secrets of Whispering Pines, the more recent few have focused
Diana Lindoff
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Again, Shawn McGuire does not dissapoint!
This series is well written and a page-turning delight to read.  Ms. McGuire creates a fantastic plot line and many quirky characters that you'd really like to meet, except for maybe a couple of them.

Whispering Pines is an intriguing small village surrounded by a small forest of whispering pines.  The village is filled with wiccans, carney people and of course tourists with a little murder thrown in.

The two inns are filled to the rafters with tourists to
Karrie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this very enjoyable book. As always there is a mystery to solve, but the best part of book is the relationships. Seeing how the main character’s relationships are evolving and how they impact the story is very interesting. It was also interesting to meet Jayne’s sister, and see how she fit into Jayne’s life. The mystery was different this time, and there was definitely a surprising twist that I didn’t expect which was fun. It is hard to review this book without revealin ...more
Angi
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! That was unexpected! I am soooo surprised at the "who" in the who done it!! I won't give it away but, damn I'm shocked at who it was! I guess we didn't know that person like we thought.
I am really happy about Jayne's time with her sister Roz! It was so wonderful they were able to resolve some old heartaches and get their relationship back on track. This was a great addition to the Whispering Pines series. I loved the beautiful outdoor feast they had for the village on Halloween. I think Sh
BJ
Shelves: arc, reviewed
I received an ARC of this book from the author with no strings attached. Here are my thoughts:
Life in Whispering Pines is complicated but serene. How can that be? This series has been so FUN! Shawn McGuire has a way of writing that just sucks me in. With this one, I actually got irritated that I had to stop to even get a drink or run to the bathroom! Absorbing, wonderful characters, beautiful setting, a Westie, Meeka, who, IMHO, steals the spotlight. Yes, some things come to an end, some things
Bettyboop
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Veiled Secrets’ is a delightful, poignant goodread. How can it be both?
The setting is Whispering Pines, a magical place of quirky characters with witchy ways, just delightful! The plot is a kidnapping, literally, that leads to a father’s death, most tragic. Author, Shawn McGuire ties the two seamlessly and creates an excellent goodread. This book, 6th in the series,
is charged with emotional reading involving siblings, Sheriff Jayne’s sister visits, and siblings started the events that led to a
Lisa Harris
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book did not disappoint! This author really knows her stuff and how to create such a great story. I just curl up and crawl inside these stories. My suspicions about Morgan were completely on track! This story turned out to be really sad when it comes to father and son. I think the author handled the subject with great aplomb. I also love how Jayne and Roslyn reconnected with Jayne working on this case because it helped to solidify their relationship. The characters are well developed and di ...more
Bev
Shelves: own-it, have-read
Jayne is guardedly optimistic about spending a few days with her demanding sister. Then a boy goes missing during trick-or-treating and everything changes. The boy's parents' are not worried. "He has done this kind of thing before." But when the word kidnapped comes out, then Jayne's sister's worse nightmare come roaring to the front. Now Jayne has to divide her attention to helping her sister and trying to find the missing boy. This is book six of a series. I enjoyed every one of them so far. I ...more
Bobbi
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jayne and Tripp and the gang of Whispering Pines are like family. All of the residents of Whispering Pines are wonderful; well except for Flavia. As well as the killer of course. Will Jayne enjoy her sister’s visit? Will Halloween be a pleasant and fun filled night?
This is a fantastic series, the characters are great and the town makes you feel at home. You will totally enjoy this series and this book.
Doreen
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent series!

Please read in order or you will miss all the development of Jayne's move into her Grandmother's home and decision to remain in Whispering Pines. Each mystery is unique and the solving of the murder introduces many of the unique people who live here. There is a continuing story line be books as we follow Jayne's adventures and assimilation into the town activities. Excelk
Anne G. Kasaba
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everytime I read a book from this series I’m convinced it’s the best one yet and that the next book will fall short. I’m pleased to say I was once again wrong. This book, the sixth in the series, is the best so far in a series that is stellar. The main characters are developing deeper relationships and the storyline twists and turns leaving you to wonder what next? Definitely a must read book in a must read series!
Annemarie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again tragedy befalls Whispering Pines but the guilty person is not an 'outsider' this time, rather someone that the villagers had come to know and trust. It was wonderful watching Jayne and Roslyn revive the friendship they felt for each other growing up. Finally Jayne and Tripp are taking their relationship up a notch and Morgan has some exciting news as well. Happy reading. Annemarie

I received my copy as an ARC from the Author and have chosen to leave a review
Xena Johnson
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Whispering Pines!!

I absolutely love Whispering Pines!! Yhe only thing I would change would be to read Miranda rights brfore getting confessions. I have so enjoyed walking through Whispering Pines in my mind. I feel like I am there through the writing. I truly wish there was a place like this in real life somewhere around me. Maybe one day I will find that place
Emilie Davis
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding series!

This is the 6th entry into the Whispering Pines series, not including the prequel. Each book has built upon the last one. Shawn McGuire is a master at plotting her stories. Out of the 6 full length mysteries, I am 0 - 6 in trying to figure out who did what when. You have to pay attention because McGuire will throw you a curve when you are least expecting it! Keep up the good work!! I can hardly wait for the next one!!
Kenneth Lingenfelter
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jayne's sister, Rosalyn, comes to visit to try to reconnect with each other. A family of four with children a boy and a girl. The boy is tired of having to watch his younger sister and runs away. His father taught him how to survive in the wild. His father goes looking for his son. When neither return, a rescue party is organized. A surprising ending to the search.
This is a very good series in Whispering Pines.
Melissa Hogue
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The ending threw me a curve ball! I can usually guess who did it but i didn't see this one coming. My mind was going back and forth through all the characters, even wondering if Donovan was back. This is a must read! Another great addition to the Whispering Pines Series!
Jamie
Shelves: arc, wicca, witches
This is an awesome book! I didn't want to stop reading it. I liked learning more about Jayne's sister, Rosalyn. I really want to know what happens next in this series.

I received an ARC from the author for an honest review.
Sue Hampshire
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another worthy sequel in the Whispering Pines series by Shawn McGuire

A missing boy? Then his father goes missing when he tries to find his son. What is happening in Whispering Pines? Sheriff Jayne finally finds the answers as she is blindsided by the villain’s identity.
Slb
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another surprising mystery in Whispering pines. Drama, angst, unpleasant crimes and surprise criminals. Includes the town characters and their traditions that make it a pleasant read and this one left me a bit sad.
Janis A Hewes
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great stories!

I couldn't wait to read all six of the books in this series after reading the first one. Was disappointed that I have to wait for the seventh one. Great reading!
Jeri L
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Halloween time at WP

I love getting to know Jayne and Trip better. Halloween at Whispering Pines is eerie, and fun, at the same time.
Linda
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this series, I have all books of this series! I look forward to reading more in this series as they come out! Not sure they are in the pipe line? Hope so!
Lisa Norvell
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love

I have really enjoyed this series. The characters are engaging and the world building is awesome. I have loved experiencing the Wicca lore, the Mystery and a touch of romance.
Rebecca
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow at later date
Mary L Stephan
Apr 14, 2019
Pam
Apr 16, 2019
christina craig
Mar 22, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Suspense and fantasy author Shawn McGuire started writing after seeing the first Star Wars movie (that's Episode IV) as a kid. She couldn't wait for the next installment to come out so wrote her own. Sadly, those notebooks are long lost, but her desire to tell a tale is as strong now as it was then. She grew up in the beautiful Mississippi River town of Winona, Minnesota, called the Milwaukee area ...more