Start by marking “Aphrodite Made Me Do It” as Want to Read:
Aphrodite Made Me Do It

Aphrodite Made Me Do It

Bestselling and award-winning author Trista Mateer takes an imaginative approach to self-care in this new poetry and prose collection, Aphrodite Made Me Do It. In this empowering retelling, she uses the mythology of the goddess to weave a common thread through the past and present. By the end of this book, Aphrodite make you believe in the possibility of your own healing.
Published October 1st 2019 by Central Avenue Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Aphrodite Made Me Do It, please sign up.
Val It's a book of poetry and art, so it doesn't really have a clear plot like many other books do. It's about the poet, and trauma and growth and gender…moreIt's a book of poetry and art, so it doesn't really have a clear plot like many other books do. It's about the poet, and trauma and growth and gender and relationships and self and forgiveness and many other things.(less)

Start your review of Aphrodite Made Me Do It
Teodora
There are periods in my life when all I need is for poetry books like this to exist.
It is an authentic dialogue between the poet and Goddess Aphrodite on various themes like love and hate.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC! I appreciate it dearly!
Whitney Atkinson
This book felt like peering into someone's art journal it was so gorgeous. I loved the themes in it and I thought it was the perfect mix of melancholy yet helpful. I hope this book is the next milk & honey and i can't wait to buy a physical copy
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: full-lengths, 2020
You rise like a phoenix
from the ashes of things that no longer serve you
I’m planning on reading modern poetry. I love this genre but don’t understand the classics. I think maybe I lack the background knowledge of the scenarios which were at the times of classical poets or I also lack the classical vocab too.

This is the main reasons why I love poetry. Poetry has more powerful vocab than our novels. And I love words. I’m literally trash for powerful/sounds-good words or rhyming lines too.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
To sing of love
is almost always
to sing of war.

This is easily one of the best poetry collections — maybe the best — I have ever read.

I am older than the poets
and I am older than the pens.
I am older than the stars
and the ocean I crawled out of.

It’s a story of assault, and survival, and having our stories rewritten without our consent. It’s worship and blasphemy, anger and heartache, capped off with tenderness and self-love and learning to cherish yourself no matter how many people in your
Kai
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
"My grief for her was like a circle. I always came around to missing her."

Aphrodite Made Me Do It is a feminist poetry collection about love, loss, insecurity, pain, and empowerment. It's also a retelling of Aphrodite's story. I read the NetGalley proof on my kindle which for some annoying reason always means that it messes up the lines and images, but I liked the design and style anyway. The poetry itself - especially the parts about rewriting Aphrodite's story far away from the male gaze - was
Boston
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
TW for rape, abuse, sexual assault, death, eating disorders, gore, blood, queerphobia

I don’t know what I expected when I started this collection. I don’t even quite know how to review it.

Never has a poetry collection made me feel things so deep in my soul that it feels like I’ve dived deeper than the ocean floor. This book wrapped me in a blanket, handed me a mug of hot coco and said “You’ll be okay. And here’s why”. It was gentle but it was fierce and it was strong and it was everything I
Kristy K
Jun 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, poetry, netgalley, 2019
I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. I want to give young, new poets a chance and I am always looking for new talent, but every time I try them out, I end up disappointed. I think it's great that so many people can turn to writing to express their thoughts, heal from their pasts, and fight for social justices. But this new wave of poets and their poetry seem to read more like diary entries or Instagram posts than poems.

I received an advanced copy through Netgalley in return for an
Lindsay (pawsomereads)
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful poetry and even more beautiful art!
I loved the illustrations and pictures included in this book which I really think helped to highlight the lovely prose. I loved the perspective of these poems and writing style was great!
Julia Sapphire
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verse, 2020

This collection is based around mythology and is also about strength, empowerment and self-appreciation. I am looking forward to picking up more of Trista Mateer's work as this was nicely done.
I quite enjoyed the discussion on labels and the images throughout. The topics of pain, abuse, depression, obedience, feminism and so much more were excellent. If you enjoy modern poetry this is a great one to check out.
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
"the world was full of men who called themselves heroes for crossing boundaries, claiming bodies like prizes. The world still is."

Instagram | youtube

star

The overall collection was decent but nothing to write home about. The standout part was Aphrodite without question as it seemed to question deeper topics we tend to shy away from.

The poetry style was minimalistic and 'Tumblr-y' which fit the blandness of most of the collection, but made the Aphrodite part rawer.

**Trigger Warnings**
Body
Jessica C Writes
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy, favorites, poetry
This was such an incredible collection of poetry and prose. I could not put it down once I started it. Trista’s words have the ability to make you feel so many emotions at once. This collection was extremely powerful and beautiful.

I know that I will be purchasing a final copy as soon as it comes out, but I am extremely grateful to have been given an advanced copy. I will now be shouting about its greatness to all of my friends- poetry loving or not.

If you yourself are not a big poetry reader,
vitória
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
“let me leave you with this: your life is short and all the more precious for it. i do not seek to tell you how to live, only to live at all. to not fear the day. to know you are stronger than what has hurt you. to know what you will triumph”.

the most powerful poetry book i read recently! so many lessons we need and deserve to learn in delicate pages made from a unique woman. this inspired, healed and renewed me in a different way.
Amber
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing! I loved this so much more than I could have possibly imagined.

Not only does this book give an alternate perspective on Aphrodite (much needed by the way) it was also about queer representation, love in its many forms and had beautiful imagery juxtaposed throughout. I was not expecting the story to be in prose and to have symbolic imagery. It was such a joy to read. I never felt bored and honestly wish there was more even though I felt like the ending was perfect. I really want
Lost in Book Land
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welcome Back,

Being totally 100% honest I have not read a lot of poetry collections of poetry in general. As a kid, I loved those Shel Silverstein books that were his big bind ups of his poetry works and they were fun silly poems. I would check them out of the library again and again. As I have gotten older I have had more of an interest in reading more poetry and have put the Princess Saves Herself in This One and others on my Amazon book wish list (meaning I will purchase them at some point).
tappkalina
I don't like poetry, but parts of this were surprisingly deep. If it only had the Aphrodite parts, it could have been 5 stars, but the rest of the book just stuff you hear from everywhere.
Veronika
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book felt like I was talking to Aphrodite herself, about her life, loves, strength, and pains. I felt really close to her while reading. And then, I also found myself in this book. My worries and fears, but more importantly, my light, joy, and acceptance.

I really liked the format it was in, changing perspectives of the Goddess and the author, switching between written poems and poems in pictures.

After I finished this, I felt in peace with myself as I haven’t felt in a long time.

I
Kristin Ogarp
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
" *I didn't forget how to fight for myself.
I forgot that I could. * "

This was everything that I needed right now. This poetry collection explore a lot of different topics surrounding femininity and more. It dose it in a way were it's not only surface level. No, I felt that.

I really like the way Mateer expressed herself as well as choices of words and writing style. It is written in a pretty way but convey real, hurtful and dark topics which is my favorite combination.

I also really liked the
Greyson | Use Your Words
Content Warnings: assault, homophobia, transphobia (taken from Destiny's review because ya girl got so sucked in she didn't write any notes at all.

It is simple. You believe in the triumphs of love despite growing up in full view of its defeat because you are brave.

An emotional journey of self-love, healing, queerness and womanhood.

How do I put into words how much I loved this poetry collection???

I've been wandering and getting lost on my own personal journey with Greek mythology recently
Jessica | Booked J
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can be found here at Booked J.

Trista Mateer had me at mythology and self care when it came to Aphrodite Made Me Do It. I am so glad I live in an era of empowering prose such as Mateer. Truly. It goes without saying, I've been eagerly anticipating more from Mateer since I read her magnificent release Honeybee.
E.
Review: Aphrodite Made Me Do It by Trista Mateer // Or, A Journey Through The Pain Of A Woman And A Goddess

,5 | Let Aphrodite into your soul

"They made me a goddess of love and then vilified me for loving freely, for kissing and fucking and strolling boldly down the streets of Cyprus."

gorgeous art accompanying the poems
a dialogue between a poet and a goddess
the pain shared by women
a journey to healing and self-love

Aphrodite made me do it didn’t feel like poetry to me — and I’m not saying it
Kobi
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it

Accepting this body
did not mean convincing myself
that it was beautiful; it meant
giving myself permission
to exist regardless.

I feel like I come out of most poetry/prose collections with generally the same thoughts and feelings. Each of them feels personal, almost as if reading another's diary, and they often deal with difficult content in beautiful ways which make you leave feeling empowered and strong. And while this was beautiful, I don't think it was anything new. It feels awful
sarah xoxo
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019, arcs
"it was my blood that made the roses red.
My pain shaped the whole world"

I tend to find it difficult to connect to poetry collections, but this one hit differently. Her writing was raw, and evoked strong emotions from me.
Told partly from the perspective of Aphrodite, it had a magical, godly feel to it that added another layer I haven't read before.

"I am older than the stars and the ocean I crawled out of"

Trista Mateer provides Aphrodite, and numerous other goddesses with the voices that were
•°• gabs •°•
leaving it unrated because i didn't love it but it's still a very important read
kippen (uponthepages)
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminism
This book was sent to me by the publisher but all opinions are my own. Thank you Central Avenue publishing!

I’ve never been a huge fan of modern poetry. I’ve read Rupi Kaur’s book and I’ve loved Amanda Lovelace’s books. I received Honeybee by Trista Mateer as a gift and have yet to read it but that might change. I had already heard such good things about Aphrodite Made Me Do It so I decided to snag it for review and WOW, that was a great read.

I read poetry quickly so I sat outside in the nice
Trisha
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A compelling journey into the paths of love, life and everything that goes along with both.

Some poetry collections feel more personal than others and Aphrodite Made Me Do It never holds back from spilling emotions right onto the pages. The poetry switches back and forth between the narrator and Aphrodite, who is much more than just the goddess of love. She has a story to tell and her sections were some of my favorite throughout the collection. I liked seeing the other side because it's
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
thank you SO much to my dear friend, kerri (kerrithebookbelle), for getting me a personalized copy of my new favorite poetry book of all time.

so I’m not particularly familiar with what people call ~*emotions*~ but modern poetry always pulls at my dusty heartstrings. this is no different.

the basic theme of the collection is following our narrator who has endured abuse & lost the meaning of love as she finds the goddess aphrodite in her room. aphrodite then (as the feminist, lgbt icon she
Connie
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
[I received a copy of this to review through Netgalley]

Aphrodite Made Me Do It is a collection written as interactions between the poet and Aphrodite, relating to love in all its forms and breaking down the misconceptions towards Aphrodite throughout history and how her image has been twisted and corrupted.

I found that the poetry told from Aphrodite's perspective was what I enjoyed most about this collection. I find the breakdown of Goddesses in particular fascinating in modern writing, to see
Katherine Stargazing
This is a really nice short collection of prose and poems about self-growth, self-acceptance, and healing.
The author resurrects Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, to tell the story of the wild goddess Aphrodite was before she was forced into obedience, her stories were re-written, and she became the embodiment of beauty and love.

"I wept at what became of my name."

The author uses Aphrodite's tales to show how women were always forced to morph, bury themselves, to become acceptable. She
d e b o r a h  ☽
** I received an arc for this a few months back from Netgalley**

I never really read poetry. Either it's poetry in a style like this and I've let myself be told that this is not what poetry is supposed to be or it is just too intimidating. This time I decided to give it a go.

Aphrodite Made Me Do It was an enjoyable quick read; it almost felt as if I was reading someones personal journal that was nog meant to be seen. I actually finished it in one sitting and loved the use of art in this book. The
ellie
how can I possibly love someone right when I was raised with the worst examples?

• To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Nineteen
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Life of the Party
  • The Truth About Magic
  • Almost Home: Poems
  • Submerge
  • Mooncakes
Trista Mateer is a writer and poet from outside of Baltimore, who could be living anywhere by the time you read this. She believes in lipstick, late nights, and cheap air fare. Known for her eponymous blog, she is also the author of three collections of poetry. More of her work can be found at: tristamateer.com
“I wrote my own story
And still said all the wrong things.”
11 likes
“What brings us together will always be more powerful than what keeps us apart.” 9 likes