Start by marking “Walk The Darkness Down” as Want to Read:
Walk The Darkness Down

Walk The Darkness Down

Weird Western,

"WALK THE DARKNESS DOWN". Is far from a traditional approach to that kind of story. Very quiet with touches of the unsettling and surreal and more than a drizzle of brutality.
Hardcover, Signed, Limited, Numbered 44 copies, 154 pages
Published January 20th 2019 by Thunderstorm Books

To ask other readers questions about Walk The Darkness Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walk The Darkness Down

Karl
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book “Walk The Darkness Down”, a ‘weird western’ by John Boden, takes place in 1866, give or take six years. The story is told from multiple points of view sometimes in the form of parables or vignettes, and sometimes in ‘real’ time yet more often in surreal time.

The chapters are told and titled by character(s) and are arranged in a way that ultimately builds into a single narrative. Be aware there are disturbing events that occur and sometimes things just ‘ain’t purdy’, interspersed with n
Char
WALK THE DARKNESS DOWN is the weirdest western horror story I've ever read. I adored it!

Starting with a young man named Levi, we travel down a dusty dirt road and meet up with Jubal, Jones and Keaton along the way, with brief stops visiting Tiny, and an aging coal miner named Ford. (I'm not even going mention the nightmares that are Jubal's sisters-I'll let you meet them on your own. Suffice it to say, I'm sure they'll be visiting my nightmares sometime soon. I just hope that when they do, they'
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Oh you authors of dark, disturbing things how I love when you write weird, Western crossovers.

This story is 154 pages long but it still took me 4 days to finish because this thing is narrated to the hilt. Boden's language here is rich and sticky--almost chewy--the words lifted off the page and my mind was not content to let them filter through like sand...it wanted to really meditate on the descriptions, the dialog, the phrases, and sayings.
I didn't want to miss anything by reading too fast. In
Wayne Fenlon
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I treated myself to the limited hardback edition from Thunderstorm Books.
And what a beautiful looking book it is by the way. It exactly fits the mood of the story.

Okay, so you know how you might say to yourself, I'm gonna settle back for a bit and read for a while?
Well, this is one of those books that requires you to do just that.
I find writing of this nature has to be savoured, taken slow. If you are used to more of a fast-paced style then it takes a little adjusting, but it's so worth it.
It's
Thomas Joyce
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The idea of a "Weird" Western is a new concept to me, but it appears to be gathering steam, especially in the Horror small presses. Marrying the gritty, dusty setting of the Wild West story (complete with a hero/antihero and strong characters) with a strange and almost inexplicable series of events seems like a recipe for success. But I suppose in the hands of a lesser author it may not work so well. Thankfully, John Boden seems to be a natural storyteller, as he guides us through this weird, wo ...more
Chad
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon from Cemetery Dance Online.
Armand Rosamilia
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a lesser author I think the way the story unfolds and the unique way it is told would fall flat. Boden has mastered the story format in this book, and as you dive into it you start to see where it is going and how he's constructed such a tale.
Jamie
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My first introduction to John Boden’s work was his collaboration with Chad Lutzke, Out Behind the Barn. I absolutely loved that story and waited way too long to dive into John’s solo work. Walk the Darkness Down is a western-themed story, but it’s not all grit. It has moments of horror and heart, and the writing is just gorgeous. There are so many quotable lines that I can’t list them all. Boden has a knack for writing a piece that makes a reader feel both unsettled and heartbroken in the best w ...more
Steve Wynne