Start by marking “Kids These Days: A Game Plan For (Re)Connecting With Those We Teach, Lead, & Love” as Want to Read:

The kids are the least of our worries.

Seriously. If that sounds blasphemous in a book for concerned parents and educators (and anyone, really, who worries about “kids these days”), then I am so glad you’re here. If you own a kid, work with a kid, or love a kid, you will find something inspiring in these pages. Dare I say game-changing.
These words were born from the hundr
Published February 14th 2019 by FriesenPress

Start your review of Kids These Days: A Game Plan For (Re)Connecting With Those We Teach, Lead, & Love
Laurie McIntosh
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Jody Carrington provides a passionate, powerful and practical plan that we can all incorporate into our lives starting now. The love and dedication poured into every story, every page, every chapter inspires us to want to do better and be better for ourselves and for the kids we hold dear. If any "Kids These Days" are lucky enough to have an educator or leader in their life who has the courage and compassion to pick up this book, read it and put into place the strategies that Dr. Jody so gra ...more
Ashley Neefe
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cried, I laughed, I related but most importantly I gained inspiration and motivation to push through the last half of this school year and into the years of my career yet to come. I couldn't put it down! Jody, thank you for sharing your words, I and so many others NEEDED this.
Rick Gilson
I've heard Dr. Jody Carrington speak on a number of occasions and I'm particularly glad that she has pulled many of her key points into this book. You can hear her and feel the emotion she has for this work throughout the book. This is authentic open Jody through and through. (though certainly a bit more PG 13 on the lingo than live might often be...) If you are working with some kids (our babies) who frustrate you, drive you crazy, act in ways unacceptable to you - if they are 4, 14 or 41, ther ...more
Kacey
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not just another book on parenting or childhood development. Dr. Jody Carrington draws on her years of experience as a child psychologist to speak to educators and parents through this book. As the title implies, it’s easy to blame everything on “kids these days”, we’ve been doing it for generations, but as Dr. Jody explains, the solution is so simple. It’s all about connection. This book is a motivational manifesto and must read for Educators and Parents.
Aaron Grant
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A truly inspirational book written with a great sense of humor. It will make you laugh, cry, and restore your faith and purpose as an educator!
Rachel
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ugh. This was supposed to be a revolutionary and inspirational book for educators, but I feel largely disappointed. Not only have I heard most of this before (which is surprising as a first year teacher)...I was frustrated by the end with the author's choice of language - for example the way students were always referred to as "babes." Although a personal annoyance, the author's choice of language made for a somewhat cringey reading experience.
I also found myself unsure of a few points Jody mad
Lucynelsonloveslife
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This may be the best relationship book I have ever read. I’ve read dozens of leadership, self help, relationship and education books and this one combines all the best tidbits from all of them and puts it into simple language anyone can understand. Although written for educators I would recommend it for parents, grandparents and basically anyone who works with people. It teaches the “It Takes a village to raise a child” philosophy and applies it to adults as well. The author is funny, completely ...more
Pam
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK is a must read whether you are in the midst of raising children, you’ve raised them or if you’ve ever been in contact with a kid! As a mama of 3 grown babes, this book made me laugh, made me cry and took me back to many days of the Calliou and Flat Stanley kids that were often in our midst. I wanted the book to just keep going. Jody, you’re an inspiration, a magnificent story teller and above all....GIFTED in how you share your wisdom, humor, honesty and intelligence!
Thanks for Lighti
Lisa Dunlop
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so affirming! Reading it I felt validated for the heart-centered work I have dedicated my career to. Thank you for hitting home the message that RELATIONSHIPS ARE EVERYTHING in education! <3

Please know that you are generating a long overdue conversation about the well-being and value of teachers and their students!

This book can change lives!
Jennifer Joy
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This books has been a meaningful inspiration to push through the rest of the school year. I love how she emphasizes connection and how important this is for students to feel before discipline. It was a great read !
Julia Lindquist
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible book! I am going to return to this book many times during my teaching career!❤️
Amy
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read the book in one sitting today. Loved it- totally authentic, just like listening to Jody speak. Well rounded- enlightening, a great mix of research-based methodology and life experience, both humour filled and heartfelt. I recognized so much of my own experiences in the book- I laughed at the three types of children (especially Caillou), and teared up during grief because it spoke to my soul.
I’m keeping this copy on my bookshelf because I already sent myself 8 emails about things to think a
Kristy Ellsworth
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Kids These Days,” written by Dr. Jody Carrington, is the best thing since sliced bread!!!!
Anyone who has kids, works with kids, or any involvement what-so-ever with kids, NEEDS to read this book!
Dr. Jody Carrington breaks things down and explains how adults/teachers/ parents can better communicate and (re)connect with children! It has so much great information, as well as Dr. Jody’s wonderful sense of humour. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.
It is a MUST read and I will preach about it
Kristine R.
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic delivery of such an easy concept that seems we’ve all forgotten. It kept me laughing, intrigued and even crying. Such a beneficial book for not only educators but parents, spouses and children! Such a great reminder for everyone.
Christine Robinson
This book is exactly what we need right now - 2020 post(ish?) pandemic. So many of our students will be experiencing hard emotions about the school suspensions and what their lives were like without that school connection (and many were at home in not so ideal situations with little to no support, help or connection). And then they will also be feeling hard things about the process of returning to school and what that will look like. As educators, I think we will all be very focused on the well ...more
Susanna
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! As an educator I have felt all the different emotions of trying to but not feeling like I have done enough for my students, especially the ones that need it the most. I am one of those who have experienced compassion fatigue and didn’t know what to do with that sense of inadequacy. Reading these pages was, at times, difficult and brought many a tear to my eye as I could relate to many of the situations and emotions attached to them. Jody has renewed my reason for entering this p ...more
Heather Gobbett
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I asked Santa for this book, but when it arrived in the mail- I thought to myself that I’d just take a look at the table Of contents. Then i said, “we’ll I’ll just read one chapter!” .... well... then I asked Santa for another book under the tree because I consumed it! Except then I moved, and lost it in my myriad of book boxes!!! Thankfully, it was available in audible and today I finally finished it. Dr. Carrington. This book is significant. Im so thrilled it’s CANADIAN. As a school based admi ...more
Christina
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a MUST READ!!!! This is for every educator, parent, and therapist! Dr. Jody has taken everything I have learned in my entire adult career and organized it into a book form. She was recommended to me by my clinical supervisor because she came across Jody and felt that what Jody was saying and what I preach about every day in schools and weekly supervision were a match. So I will never be able to thank her enough!! Jody is the bullet points to my thought bubbles, the bar graph to my scatte ...more
Lexie Burgess
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Jody gives it to us straight. Loaded with researched backed facts, real life accounts and her own personal experience she teaches us the things we all ought to know. I’ve read this book once and am currently re-reading it. There’s so many sentences that just bam, mic drop, mind blown truth telling, earth shaking. In a connected world we all need to take a moment and read this. Re wire our way of thinking and build solid foundations for all the children in our lives. The game plan highlight r ...more
Semeerah Abdulqadir
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every Educator should own this book on audio or hardcopy. It is important we continue to work on ourselves, be whole, be at peace and be mentally, emotionally and physically healthy so that we can put our best foot forward with children that we come across, whether it be teaching or any other setting.

These things may seem like common sense, but an amazing reminder that we must do the work within before taking on the best job, as educators or any other career that involves working with the youth.
Paul Berg
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best, most insightful books that a teacher can read. With the difficulties we are having with regulation in schools these days and the lack of success of behaviourism to solve our problems we need this book. If you’ve heard Jody speak you’ll recognize her in it and she has the perfect voice to talk about connecting as she is the ultimate connector with her big personality. You owe it to yourself to read this book! It is going to take the world by storm!
Nicole Hoye
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a MUST read for every human whom interacts with little souls! It truly needs to be part of post-secondary education courses for pre-service teachers. As a teacher by heart, administrator, mother and coach I saw the faces of past and present children in Dr. Jody Carrington’s stories, research and personal accounts. She knows the power of connection and is able to share her knowledge in a way that allows us as readers to connect to our own reality. I have personally gifted multiple co ...more
Candice Cleniuk
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone who works with children. Two highlights for me are replacing "Attention Seeking" with "Connection Seeking" and "Connection before direction"
Mattpiller
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although I am not a teacher nor do I work in the educational system, this book provides me so many opportunities to reflect, improve, and strengthen myself as a father, coach, husband, and coworker. Great read, well done Dr.Jody!

Carly
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading Dr. Jody Carrington’s Kids These Days! Her book was written in a very conversational style that made you feel like you were sitting and listening to her. It was easily broken up into manageable chunks, even though once you get started, you don’t want to stop!! As an educator, I truly appreciate the value of connection, and this validated every feeling I have when it comes to my kiddos! Thank you thank you thank you!
Kathy Bourque
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book and have recommended it many times to colleagues, friends & clients. ...more
Kelly
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Her humor is amazing and at the same time she is talking about real deal emotions, thoughts, and experiences. Makes me feel seen as a teacher ❤
Sharyn
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be directed towards people in careers that care for our kids, however reading it as a mother, I took away so much.
Jody’s book is funny, raw, informative and real.
I hope to see this spread through our schooling systems.
I want to pass this off to my kids school but I’m a bit reluctant to let it go! Haha
Another bonus, the pages of this book are by far one of the best quality I have felt in my hands! 😂 it’s the little things!
Lisa Forsen
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book for educators. Lots of good stuff which can make you reexamine teaching techniques. Definitely a good read for anyone, but in particular anyone in the field of teaching/childcare
Kimberly White
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Much of this book is geared towards teachers, and I'm a nurse and a mom, but so many things said in this book resonate with me. The main focus is that "we are wired for hard things" and connection. I will be reading this book again.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• From the Ashes
  • Potlatch as Pedagogy: Learning Through Ceremony
  • One Without the Other: Stories of Unity Through Diversity and Inclusion
  • Open Heart, Open Mind
  • Tech Like a PIRATE: Using Classroom Technology to Create an Experience and Make Learning Memorable
  • Bring the Joy
  • The Forgotten Home Child
  • Untamed
  • Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism
  • Son of a Trickster (Trickster, #1)
  • We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • One Drum: Stories and Ceremonies for a Planet
  • Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family
  • The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • The Skin We're In: A Year of Black Resistance and Power
  • Woman on the Edge
As a child psychologist, I have assessed, treated, educated, and empowered some of the most vulnerable and precious souls on this planet—our kids.

After 15 years, I’m here to tell you that the ones who hold our kids every day, are our biggest game changers.

My mission has become to shift the way educators think and feel about the holy work they do, and to refocus us on supporting them in that work

News & Interviews