Start by marking “Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)” as Want to Read:
Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)

Angel in a Devil's Arms

(The Palace of Rogues #2)

From USA Today bestselling author Julie Anne Long comes the second book in an exciting new historical romance series, the first since her beloved Pennyroyal Green series.

He has devil's blood in his veins. At least, that's always been the legend. How else could the Duke of Brexford's notorious bastard son return from the dead? The brutal decade since Lucien Durand, Lord Bol
Published October 29th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Angel in a Devil's Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel in a Devil's Arms

Start your review of Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)
Holly
This was so tediously boring. If I read one more mention of "The Grand Palace on the Thames" I was going to scream. How was this book written by the same author who wrote What I Did For a Duke and How the Marquess Was Won (both of which I highly recommend)?

This book was just needlessly drawn out even though the characters barely interact with each other before they fall madly in lust. Definitely worth skipping.
WhiskeyintheJar

What mattered was she was standing, and that was very much in spite of the men who had populated her life.

Readers first met Angelique in Lady Derring Takes a Lover, first in The Palace of the Rogues series. A mysterious man had just arrived when we left the series and Angel in a Devil's Arms picks right up from that. It wouldn't be hard to start the series h
OLT
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(4.5 stars) Lately I've been on a losing streak with my HR reads, even new HRs written by my favorite authors. Most of them start out well but don't hold up all the way to the end. And the romance aspect of most has been bland or a bit tepid, not giving me the swoony "feels" a good romantic relationship should.

I've been a fan of Julie Anne Long's style of writing and way to get love and attraction onto paper since her first books from 2004/2005. Those books were flawed and not as good as her Pen
Addie H
Tropes: Enemies to Lovers, Opposites Attract, Unrequited Love, Unstarched (him & her)

description

This was another strong delivery from JAL.

I love everything about the series so far; the location away from the ton, the strong women, their eclectic mix of guests and staff, and their drop dead gorgeous men.

Angelique came off as quite prickly in the first book, but by the end I could not wait to read her story. She’s complex, not always likable, but there are a lot of reasons for that.

The agonistic and funny
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Angel in Devil's Arms
Series: The Palace of Rogues #2
Author: Julie Anne Long
Release date: October 29, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre:historical romance

If you don't have this series on your radar, stop what you're doing right now. Add these to your TBR, one-click, and prepare for historical romance bliss. Book one, Lady Derring Takes a Lover, was laugh out loud funny and gorgeously written all at the same time. I was so impressed with Julie Anne Long's writing style and her skill in storytelling
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
First of all, what is up with the covers for historical roms lately?? First Tessa Dare and now JAL! HATE these covers!

Anyway...

I wish I could give this a 5. But I can't.

This installment is reminiscent of the old JAL books (Pennyroyal Green series). Focused on the MCs' developing relationship using banter and wit and interesting use of vocabulary and expressions, which I have always enjoyed. I love the way JAL writes. No other authors have her style.

HOWEVER.

Beautiful writing doesn't eclipse the l
Joanna Loves Reading

Lucien was a dreamy hero, sigh.

Loved the romance.

Not sure of the epilogue.
Jacob Proffitt
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is second in a series and I think it benefits from having read the other first. Lots of character and situation establishment isn't reiterated here. They aren't really necessary, but I think it helps if you know those details.

First off, ignore that atrocious cover. Seriously, it isn't at all an indicator of what you'll find inside. So that's a shame. Second, having read the first, you know more or less what you'll find in this story. And it delivers on those expectations very well.

And I'm d
Usha
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This is a well written book. The H is sexy hot but his appeal is his emotional intelligence and how he reconciles the wrongs done to him in his past to a future that holds promises of love, respect and a level of tranquility. He drives the plot more than the h. The best scenes in the book are between him and his father and between him and his brother. We know our h fairly well from book 1 of the series. She is once bitten and thousand times shy and rightly so. JAI does such good work to demonstr ...more
Lady Wesley
A delightful continuation of The Palace of Rogues series. The love story between these two complicated people is deep and touching. I particularly enjoy the denizens of the Palace; they bring not only a continuity to the series but also are quite interesting in their own right.

I'm delighted that Julie Anne Long has returned to historicals and look forward to the next chapter in this wonderful series.
Lover of Romance
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

Angel In A Devil's Arms is the second book in the "Palace of Rogues" series, and after the ending of book one " Lady Derring Takes A Lover" I was highly intrigued to read this one, since she gave us a teaser on the beginning meeting between our two protaganists: Lucien and Angelique. I will admit that in the first book I didn't know quite what to make of Angelique. There is quite a bit of mystery surrounding her in many respects
Jan
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, british
3.5 stars, I guess. It was better than the first book in this series (Lady Derring Takes a Lover). In fact for most of this book, it was quite a bit better. More like the 'old' Julie Anne Long. Nice banter, interesting characters, nice love story. It was going to be 4 stars.

But about 70-80% through, it slumped badly for me. I just kinda lost interest for some reason, and had to force myself to finish it. Boo.

Maybe it was (view spoiler)
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
3.5 Stars🌟

I freaking love Julie Anne Long. This read has everything I love about her writing. Funny characters, witty bantering, sexy scenes. But that special something was missing for me and I was getting bored with the setting. I’m excited to read about the next couple but I hope they leave the Palace and we read about a different setting. Overall it’s a lovely read but I’m just not over the moon about it.
kris
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angelique Breedlove is shocked when Lucien Durand, Viscount Bolt, arrives to claim his reserved room as he's allegedly dead but obviously HOT AF. After emotional make outs, Angelique throws the gauntlet of friendship at Lucien's feet. This works until additional emotional make outs result in BONERS which results in SEX which overlaps nicely with these FEELINGS ALL OVER THE PLACE.

1. I loved that Lucien's silly little revenge plot was so nicely derailed and left smoldering in the margins. He chang
Beanbag Love
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delight to read. I gushed all over a status update earlier and, although shortly after that I was confronted with too many inner monologues and character navel gazing (seriously a good 15% chunk of the book right smack in the middle) it came back together and Long pulled it off.

What was wonderful in this book was the interaction between Lucien and Angelique. They were both damaged, but they were also witty, strong, and loyal. Every scene they had together was rich with chemistry.

All
Firstpella
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘Are you going to cry, sir?’

In many ways, this story reminded me of Stuart’s Heartless and Brandon/Emma. Both the H and h here are in the landscape of aristocracy as ‘less thans’ - the H is a bastard but as male still gets a level of respect, the h is labeled various titles which ultimately mean whore. Neither has experience with love and fumble a bit as their magic unfolds.

The difference in Long’s telling is the H is in some ways, the girl - falling first, declaring first, softening first while
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Excellent character growth, wonderful cast of supporting characters and a set up for the next book. Angelique and Lucien were both very controlled on the surface but underneath there was anger and fear and shame. With love and friendship they are able to realize that they are worthy of each other and if of the friends and family in their lives. I especially loved Lucien, he’s so sweet, kind and romantic underneath his badass exterior. I also love “the mistress” gettin ...more
Stacee
I had enjoyed the previous book in this series and loved Angelique, so there was no way I was missing this one.

Angelique is just as fantastic as I thought. She’s smart and determined and ready to settle into a new life. Lucien is all quips and bravado and in desperate need of gentleness. Together they are filled with open and honest conversations, so much chemistry it could choke a person, and the absolute need to belong to someone. Of course it was delightful to see Delilah and Dot again.

Plot
LauSo
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I expected more because I loved Angelique in the first book. I liked this one, but I wasn't into the romantic couple. I liked their interactions but I wasn't invested in them. The parts that moved me the most were in fact of them with the people closest to them. Like Angelique with Delilah and Tristan, or Lucien and his half-brother. And the conversation about how human beings and the way they show love can be flawed but that we should always try and apologize if we make mistakes. I'm cu ...more
Blackjack
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Julie Anne Long is a master at depicting longing and emotional connections. I know that whenever two characters sit down together for a conversation, Long will show us the progression of how they connect and bond. The best moments in this book take place during quiet conversations: several between main characters Angelique and Lucien, but also emotional ones between Angelique and Delilah, and even a couple of sweet ones between Lucien and his young half-brother. I find myself reading slowly thro ...more
Kelsey
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
The good parts of this story involve Lucien confronting his past and coming to terms with it. The boring parts are the romance. While Long comes up with some lovely quotes and scenes, Angelique and Lucien are too boring as a couple to bring them any sort of justice.
Blodeuedd Finland
For a book with someone back fromt the dead, I expected more drama, but hey I am not complaining.

Angelique used to be a mistress, now she runs a boarding house with the wife of the man whose mistress she was. Yes, I had a rocky start with her, but she is a good person, and that guy was an asshat anyway.

I like the boarding house, with its funny boarders, and rules.

And to the drama, or non drama. Lucien was assumed dead for 10 years (as someone did try to kill him), and now he wants revenge. Inste
Jenn
Jul 25, 2019 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own, dnf
I received a digital ARC from Edelweiss for an honest review.

DNF at 29%. Literally nothing has happened. Also, this is the second in a series. Usually with these, it doesn't matter. Either the previous book is just about two people who cameo in future books or they sum up what you missed from the first book. I'm assuming that the other owner of this house was the subject of the previous book? Well, I don't understand why they own this business. There's clearly some strange reason, but I feel lik
Limecello
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2019
I haven't read historicals really in YEARS so ... :X I haven't read any JAL books in years too (I mean, I MUST have read at least one or two before, right? >.>)

Anyway, I knew this was book 2 in a series, but ... if you know me/follow my reviews you know I absolutely do not care about that.

ANYWAY.
Lucien and Angelique. Two such wary, damaged, kind, loving characters.
It's ... rather low key and slow burn - I can't remember when they first kiss (maybe a little before 30%?) ... they do have sex once
Angie Elle
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC from Edelweiss

Angel in a Devil’s Arms is the second story in Julie Anne Long’s The Palace of Rogues series. This is a series that could be read out of order, but the buildup from the first book makes Angelique and Lucien’s story even more special, so if you do have the time and inclination, definitely start at the beginning! I’ve wanted to know more of Angelique’s history from the moment she was introduced in Lady Derring Takes a Lover; I dare say she outshone the heroine in that book. And w
Jen Davis
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie Anne Long takes up back to The Grand Palace on the Thames for this sequel to Lady Derring Takes a Lover. Here we're treated to Angelique's love story and I found it pretty much on part with book 1. It recaptures a little more wit and lightheartedness I enjoy from Long, but it's definitely not as angsty as I expected. After all, it's about a former mistress who had been oft-disappointed by men and a lord who'd been presumed dead--and is now on a mission of revenge. The big feelings could've ...more
Azfa Yazrin
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feb2020
3.5/5 stars, somewhere between meh and just okay

This is apparently the 2nd book in the series. I didn’t read the first book, so it kinda felt that I am literally reading from chapter 6 😅. Also the story got a bit draggy/uninteresting for a few chapters but then got back up to speed. I also liked how the reconciliation scenes were done. This was my first book from this author. Will I read more books by her? Hmmm I don’t know, it would have to be something very, very good.
SidneyKay
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-regency
Gush Alert!

Wow! Have we voted for the best book of the year yet? Well, if not, Angel in a Devil’s Arms gets my vote. In the continuation of her Palace of Rogues series, Julie Anne Long delivers a book that is everything a romance should be.

Where to begin? Where to begin? Well, in case you don’t know, Angel in a Devil’s Arms is a part of The Palace of Rogues series. If you don’t remember this series, this is the one about a dead Lord Derring. He has died and left his wife a run-down old building
Aly
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angelique Breedlove is one of the two proprietress of The Grand Palace on the Thames, a charming boarding house with a few quirky rules. Their mysterious new guest is none other than Lord Bolt, a man who's been allegedly dead for a decade. Elegant, sarcastic and even a little arrogant, Lucien Durand has his mind set on revenge. But his meeting with Angelique, a kind and spirited woman, might derail his plans.

Angelique first thought about Lord Bolt is that she wants him gone. She's smart enough
romancejunkie
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an arc copy of this book from the publisher in exchange of an honest review.
Lucien Durand, Lord Bolt, has been declared dead in society for years now when he suddenly reappers at The Grand Palace on the Thames to stay for awhile there while he is planning his vengeance for his stolen birthright and a way to confront the father who coldly abandoned him. There he meets and is instantly captivated with Angelique Breedlove, one of the new owners of the palace. She also carries a lot of
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Night of the Scoundrel (The Devils of Dover, #3.5)
  • Heiress Gone Wild (Dear Lady Truelove, #4)
  • The Earl Takes a Fancy (Sins for All Seasons, #5)
  • When the Marquess Was Mine (The Wagers of Sin, #3)
  • About a Rogue (Desperately Seeking Duke, #1)
  • Beauty Tempts the Beast (Sins for All Seasons, #6)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • The Duke's Stolen Bride (The Rogue Files, #5)
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • Forever and a Duke (Rogues to Riches, #3)
  • Heiress for Hire (A Duke's Heiress, #1)
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • Ten Things I Hate About the Duke (Difficult Dukes, #2)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • A Duke by Any Other Name (Rogues to Riches, #4)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove it ...more

The Palace of Rogues (4 books)
  • Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)
  • I'm Only Wicked with You (The Palace of Rogues, #3)
  • After Dark with the Duke (The Palace of Rogues, #4)