Start by marking “The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)

The Vampire Lestat

(The Vampire Chronicles #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  162,650 ratings  ·  3,403 reviews
Once an aristocrat in the heady days of pre-revolutionary France, now Lestat is a rockstar in the demonic, shimmering 1980s. He rushes through the centuries in search of others like him, seeking answers to the mystery of his terrifying exsitence. His story, the second volume in Anne Rice's best-selling Vampire Chronicles, is mesmerizing, passionate, and thrilling.
Published August 31st 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire Lestat, please sign up.
k-bookee It changes everything. It basically tells Lestat's origin and his side of the story in "Interview with a Vampire". I used to hate Lestat too. But…moreIt changes everything. It basically tells Lestat's origin and his side of the story in "Interview with a Vampire". I used to hate Lestat too. But after reading this... I basically threw Louis out the window. The delusional bastard! XD(less)
Cidney S. Hi. Even though this question was posted a year ago, I decided to answer just in case there are others who have the same question. Also, this is one…moreHi. Even though this question was posted a year ago, I decided to answer just in case there are others who have the same question. Also, this is one of my absolute favorite books, and Lestat just might be my favorite character of any book I've read. That being said, I don't think it's necessary to read IWAV first.

Something to consider is that The Vampire, Lestat is written from Lestat's point of view, whereas, IWAV is written from Louis' viewpoint. Personally, while I thoroughly enjoyed IWAV and did read it first, I did not like the character, Lestat as depicted by Louis. Because of that, I almost didn't buy TVL. However, after reading a few pages, I decided to read it - so VERY glad I did. Lestat in the second book (his book LOL) is much more engaging, interesting, and ... ahem ... dare I say, fleshed out.

Lastly, it seems a good thing in a lot of cases, to read the first book in a series before moving on, but this book can stand alone. While you won't be lost, you will probably become very curious to know the first.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!(less)

·  162,650 ratings  ·  3,403 reviews

Eddie Black
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of those books that defined me. I don't mean that I turned goth or vampire or whatever. No... it started me thinking.

I was born and raised in the South. I didn't read anything else other than fantasy novels (like Dragonlance). I joined the Marines in 89 and while watching a movie about a teenage vampire it was mentioned that Dracula is 'good literature'. I went to the base library to check out Dracula and beside it on the shelf was this book. I took this one instead.

The book was grea
Christine (AR)
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Dear Anne Rice:

NOT WORTHY.

Signed, All Fictional Vampires Who Are Not Lestat

This was a re-read for me, but in all honesty, I don't think I was ready for this book the first time I read it. Or at least, I didn't appreciate it for the sheer masterpiece of storytelling that it is, and it's not just the mood and the world and the mythology and the fast-moving plot -- more than anything, it's the characters.

Lestat, of course, Rice's 'brat prince', arrogant and compassionate and impossible, all at the
Antonio
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Recuerdan a Lestat?

El vampiro “malo” de Entrevista con el vampiro

Pues él ha despertado de su letargo en el siglo XX, el maravilloso siglo XX con toda su modernidad, su moda, su televisión, su tecnología y su música, pero para sorpresa de Lestat se encuentra con un libro que narra parte de su existencia, contado por su compañero Louis, un libro que, según Lestat, está lleno de mezquindad y mentiras...

ahora es su turno, si Louis conto su versión ¿porque no Lestat? y Lestat lo hará mejor y más gr
Melissa
Oh, how I love Anne Rice.
I actually started reading these books after I read Twilight. Yes, surprisingly, I went back to vampire fiction after that. Meyer is a good writer, but once you've met Anne's Vampires, you're never going back. Anyhow, this book was great. It still has the good kind of vampires: the ones that sleep in coffins, drink human blood and burn in the sunlight.

description

This second book in the series wasn't disappointing, although I feared it might be, after reading the amazing 'Interview
Crystal Starr Light
The year is 1984, and Lestat is the famous lead singer of the group, The Vampire Lestat. He stumbles upon a simple little book, "Interview with the Vampire", starring Louis, his ersatz lover of sorts (because vampires don't exactly have lovers the same way humans do). So Lestat sets the record straight and tells the tale of his life as a vampire.

When people say this is better than Interview with the Vampire, they are not kidding. This book is light years better than "Interview". I almost wish th
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A very original take on the vampire tale, complete with a sweeping history and rich locales. This was Rice at the top of her game.
Inés Izal
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Lestat fue el primer vampiro del que me enamoré.
Kelly
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is my suggestion that, if you want to sample Anne Rice, and have never read any of her other works, this may be the book you want to read instead of her most famous novel, "Interview with a Vampire." let me explain.
"The Vampire Lestat" is quite a different novel from the first in the series, because we are dealing with an entirely different vampire than the depressed and vulnerable Louis from Rice's first book. Don't get me wrong, Lestat was the antagonist in Interview but towards the end of
Jaidee
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars !

The vampire lestat is like lavender candy floss.

addictive and a tad too sugary
too little....you want to grab another sticky handful
too much....a belly ache and tooth decay

beautiful to look at but melts to something hard when saliva is added

very enjoyable but need time away or it may lead to self-combustion

next year will start volume 3
Calista
I loved these books in my 20s. Lestat had a great origin story and we explore that here. Anne takes us all the way up to Interview with the Vampire. Lestat is a crazy maker, he likes trouble. He did have a rough start as an immortal.

I loved the tone of Anne's books. They were so brooding and gothic and lush. She uses flowery language and I loved that then. Plus Lestat was Bisexual and he was one of the first characters I read that way. it was a big deal for the 80s and 90s as there weren't many
Stepheny

3.5

The second installment of Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles switches perspective. The story is now being narrated by the one and only Lestat de Lioncourt. He is outraged by Louis’ tale and feels the need to defend himself. He decides to write a book detailing his long life as a vampire.

Lestat runs away with his lover when he is a young man. The two men run away to France where they drink wine and cry over the beauty of music and art. They’re of course madly in love and enjoy nothing more than th
Melody Sams
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It’s been nearly ten years since I first read this novel and I still find Lestat just as fierce and fascinating as ever! It’s of my opinion that he’s one of the most charismatic and contradictory characters ever created in literature.
Peter
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, read-2012
This was the Audible audio book, unabridged, read by Simon Vance. Who gives a really good performance, I love his vampire voice!

Lestat de Lion court rises from his long hibernation in 1980 and decides to become a rockstar. He puts out an album and to accompany this he writes his autobiography - revealing the story of his youth as well as the history of the race of vampires, which started 4000 years ago in Ancient Egypt.

Some gleaned facts: Anne Rice loves the words: 'preternatural' and 'savage ga
Olivier Delaye
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my fourth reread (in 15 or so years, mind you) of The Vampire Lestat and honestly it gets better every time. It's just incredible how well this book ages; like, it doesn't feel passé at all and is still very much up to date, even though it was written nearly 30 years ago! The prose is absolutely gorgeous, the story is downright engrossing and, history-wise, very well researched. Really, gothic literature doesn't get any better than this. That said, let me add a caveat here: if long and d ...more
Navessa
Mar 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: vampires
Bart
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers in general
Recommended to Bart by: Todd
A happy surprise indeed. Perhaps it was a result of low expectations or a prior experience with the movie "Interview with the Vampire" that had me so unprepared to enjoy this novel.

The Vampire Lestat is a great read. It may not have all the literary quality of, say, Cormac McCarthy's equally gruesome accounts, but it is more enjoyable on its first reading.

What makes authors great, of course, is how their works hold up on revisits. Knowing the plotting and the conclusion of Anne Rice's novel, I'm
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Anne Rice's re-imagining of the "vampire" mythos is excellent and Lestat is on my list of "All Time Favorite" characters. As good as this novel is, the books that follow:The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief and Memnoch the Devil are even better. Highly Recommended?

Nominee: World Fantasy Award for Best Novel (1986)
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel (1986)
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Phew!!! Spent most of yesterday and some of today finishing this book. Very seductive read indeed, I do like how the author writes but from time to time I felt my concentration slipping because she goes on just that little bit more than is needed sometimes.
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
Did I hear that right?! A tv show? With Bryan Fuller at the helm?
How?
What?
When?
Who?

I just have one little insy bitsy thing to ask of you, Bryan:

DON'T FUCK IT UP!

or...

Erika
Oh Lestat de Lioncourt, how can you be this rebel,
how dare you create such trouble while not giving a single thought to your actions.

This is the second book on The Vampire Chronicles, and it is time for Lestat to tell his story. It starts in the year 1984 if my mind is not playing tricks on me,

(wow, i just realized that i was reading this book at the same time with the book 1984. Isn't that weird? book set in 1984 while i was reading 1984... no?... but... are you sure?... not even a little?.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Was a 4 star but changed for personal reasons to a one.
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
Time for another super long review that no one will read!

Things I Disliked/Things I Didn't Mind but Others Might Dislike:

- The book was long, and between the flashbacks of Armand's and Marius's lives and Lestat's kind of long-winded way of talking about everything, the story moved forward at a very slow pace sometimes, which made me impatient.

- A lot of the characters' actions and words were dramatic and/or strange to the point of being unrealistic, but somehow it just worked and n
Kim M
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
After reading Interview with the Vampire, Lestat decides that he wants to tell his own story in the form of a book, The Vampire Lestat. He starts his narrative with pre-vampire life, discusses his transformation, and then the bulk of the story describes everything that happened to Lestat pre-Louis.

I loved Interview with the Vampire. If I had read The Vampire Lestat first, I probably would have loved it just as much. Anne Rice's vampires are what vampires should be: dangerous creatures of the nig
Miquel Reina
Anne Rice is definitely one of my favorite authors but as I said in my review for "Interview with the Vampire", in my opinion, Vampire Chronicles saga is divided into two parts; Interview with the Vampire and the rest of the books, especially by the shift in their point of view: the first point of view lies on Louis while in second lies on Lestat. That makes the "Vampire Lestat" and subsequent novels a more passionate and less melancholic mood than Interview with the vampire. Rice plunges us int ...more
Rita
Vampires are real and Anne Rice is their historian!
Anne Rice has created a very detailed world for the vampires that inhabit her world and the vampires in it. The first one of her Vampire Chronicles was Interview with the Vampire This is the second one.
Lestat was born into a noble family in Auvergne, France, a few decades before the French Revolution was to destroy French nobility. He travels to Paris with his friend, Nicholas, to seek their fortunes but it's there that fate in the shape of the
Michelle
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
TL;DR - it's worth reading if you enjoy the franchise, the characters, and are willing to self-edit (that is, skip the repetitive expositions).

Although I read this book when it was first published, and reread it a time or two in the intervening decades, most recently I "read" this book as an audio book, which is an interesting test for a book. The book is in the first person, so listening to it heightens the effect of Lestat telling you his story; however, I hadn't realized how much of the ponti
Jess The Bookworm
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
This is the sequel to Interview with the Vampire, in which Lestat de Lioncourt awakens in the 1980s, reads Louis' account of the events in Interview with the Vampire, and decides to set the record straight.

Lestat takes us back to his upbringing as the son of a Marquis in France, where even as a mortal, he was in the thoes of an existential crisis, filled with the need to escape his family home. He runs away with his lover to Paris, where they join the theatre. It is here that Lestat is turned,
Chris
Sep 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In "Interview With a Vampire", Lestat was the villain, and could be viewed as a cold, unfeeling monster. In the sequel, Lestat gets a chance to 'set the record straight.' Reading HIS account on his life, and the years spent with Louis, he actually manages to gain sympathy, and he fully admits to being a brat prince of the undead, and you fall in love with this vampire who listens to Beethoven while riding a motorcycle down the moonlit streets. Lestat has an ego so large, it is little wonder that ...more
Monica
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lestat es y será uno de mis personajes más queridos y entrañables para toda la vida.

Conocer su historia, desde sus inicios, con todo el dolor, sufrimiento y otras emociones de esa manera tan particular en la que solo él puede hacerlo.
Nos perdemos en la Europa antigua plagada de aristócratas, leyendas, vino y encajes, de su mano conocemos los orígienes de otros emblemáticos compañeros que entre todos conforman las crónicas vampiresas.
Cecilia
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire lovers
Shelves: anne-rice, vampires
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)
  • Blood Games (Saint-Germain, #3)
  • The Last Aerie (Necroscope, #7)
  • Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • Belinda
  • Lost Souls
  • Beauty's Release (Sleeping Beauty, #3)
  • The Vampire Companion
  • The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Sacrament
  • The Hunger (Hunger, #1)
  • Midnight Blue: Sonja Blue Collection
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Ultimate Dracula
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more

The Vampire Chronicles (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, #3)
  • The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4)
  • Memnoch the Devil (The Vampire Chronicles, #5)
  • The Vampire Armand (The Vampire Chronicles, #6)
  • Merrick (The Vampire Chronicles #7)
  • Blood And Gold (The Vampire Chronicles, #8)
  • Blackwood Farm (The Vampire Chronicles, #9)
  • Blood Canticle (The Vampire Chronicles, #10)
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #11)
“None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.” 5500 likes
“The prince is never going to come. Everyone knows that; and maybe sleeping beauty's dead.” 897 likes