Start by marking “Three Hours” as Want to Read:
Three Hours

Three Hours

The extraordinary new novel everyone is talking about from the Sunday Times best-selling author of Sister

Three hours is 180 minutes or 10,800 seconds.

It is a morning's lessons, a dress rehearsal of Macbeth, a snowy trek through the woods.

It is an eternity waiting for news. Or a countdown to something terrible.

It is 180 minutes to discover who you will die for and what men
Published January 9th 2020 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Three Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Hours

Start your review of Three Hours
Paromjit
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself" (Rumi 1207-1273)

Rosamund Lupton begins this superb novel that could have been ripped from our troubled world's recent news headlines, with the above quote, for in the midst of the nightmare that descends on a rural Somerset school on a cold, dark and snowy November morning, teachers and children's lives are to be changed forever. Their courage, love, fortitude and sense of community rises to the surface as their innocence is
Peter
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
Imperiled
Rosamund Lupton is a gifted author that masterfully develops plots, where great characters portray human emotions and relationships in scenarios that test what it means to love and hate, to be fearful and brave, and how selfless and frightened people often excel in times of danger.

Three Hours is the story of a school campus being held hostage by a gunman with murderous intent. Unfortunately, a scenario that has played out for real in our society with shocking news coverage. Rosamund
Ceecee
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book from an outstanding author. The start of the book is extremely dramatic and tense with students and teachers hiding in classrooms and the school theatre from gunmen and there are some superb images such as children piling books against the library door to prevent entry. This is every parents, teachers and students nightmare but the book goes deeper into issues that are so pertinent and relevant that from time to time I had to pause in the reading to reflect.

As well as
Brenda
Hannah and Rafi were holding hands as they hurried through the woods to their class – they didn’t want to be late. It was cold, and the light fall of snow worried Rafi – so much that he hurried away from Hannah without an explanation. He needed to get to his little brother, eight-year-old Basi, so his fears wouldn’t overcome him. The noise was unexpected; when Rafi saw it, it took him back to the bad times when his parents were murdered. He must get to Basi…

Students mingled between Old School
Mark
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tense!
But then the story cant not be.....
A thriving tolerant and liberal independent school in Somerset set within its own forest land with various out buildings comes under attack via a bomb and ‘terrorists with guns’ and as the title would imply there is ‘3 Hours’ to ‘sort it’ and save lives

Its very difficult to say what is good, what is bad, which parts were thrilling and which parts were not so without giving any of the plot away and thus ruining the element(s) of surprise throughout the
NZLisaM
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cliff Heights School – located in rural Somerset. Progressive, liberal, co-ed, for children aged 4-18.

It consists of several buildings all isolated from one another:
New School – the largest, and the closest to the road. Contains most of the classrooms.
Old School – on the edge of the woods rests the original Victorian structure where the offices, library, and one English class are located. An enclosed glass walkway leads to a newer addition – the theater.
The Pottery Room – a shed deep in the
Pauline
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton was a book that I could not put down and read in one day.
A school in Somerset is under siege. There are masked gunmen on the premise and the headmaster has been shot. Groups of children and staff have barricaded themselves into classrooms. Emergency services and police can't get into the school and are trying to negotiate with the gunmen. There is a snowstorm outside and panicked parents begin to arrive.
I really enjoyed getting to know the characters in this book.
Nadia
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
Quick but a very intense read!

A secular school in the English countryside is targeted by masked gunmen who shot the Headmaster and threaten the children. The book covers a three hour span during which the children barricade themselves inside the school and police is trying to negotiate with the gunmen to prevent any more shots being fired.

I read the book in a couple of days, completely engrossed in the story. This is a chilling and terrifying read that had my heart racing in the critical
Carolyn
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars rounded up to 3.
There is no doubt this is a well-written book that addresses relevant social and political issues. When I read the synopsis and the many positive reviews, it was a book I was anxious to read. Since it is not yet available in North America I ordered a paperback copy from overseas. I can understand why the book has gained so much praise, but I regret that I was disappointed.

A school in England is comprised of two main buildings. There is the Old School where classes
Susan
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very moving, emotional roller-coaster of a novel. It is snowing, November, and we are at a school in rural Somerset, with cliffs on one side and woods surrounding the spread out building – including a theatre, pottery building, and Junior and Senior School (named Old and New School). This book begins with a gunman shooting Headmaster, Matthew Marr, in the head. Dragged into the library by some pupils, the events of that day unfold, as the school goes into lockdown.

Characters include
Amanda
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
A Somerset school is under siege, it has been taken over by armed gunmen who have shot the headmaster Mathew Marr. Pupils at the school have barricaded themselves in their classrooms. There has been a snow storm and the police and emergency services are struggling to attend and are trying to find out who has a grudge against the school. Is it a disgruntled ex employee or pupil?

Although the timeline for this story is short, it delivers a chilling and mesmerising read. A tale of courage in
Nick
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
Sounds interesting, might read it very soon
Liz Barnsley
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Love is the most powerful thing there is”.

So says one character in Rosamund Lupton’s Three Hours, an incredibly powerful, heart breaking and undeniably brilliant novel, the thing is you know, I believe that’s true. If you read this you’ll believe it too.

Three Hours. One School. A life threatening and life changing event.

Reading this book was both the best and most difficult three hours (ironically) I’ve spent inside a story for years. Gripping, almost gently breaking down your defences, that
Tracy Fenton
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's taken me a couple of days since I finished Three Hours to think about this extraordinary story and what I can write in my review.

Three Hours is based on every parent's worst nightmare - a school siege, young pupils held hostage, teachers being shot and gunmen surrounding the school seemingly uninterested in negotiating. What makes this particular story stand out from others in this genre is that the school in question is based in Somerset, UK and in the midst of a fierce and unrelenting
Alayne Emmett
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book to read. At times it was very tense as it reminded me of all the awful school shootings in America. Something I find very hard to watch. This book was very well written by an author I’ve read before. I’ve read The Sister which I throughly enjoyed so I was pleased to see she had this one.
I read this very quickly as I just wanted to find out who it was and how it all turns out.
My thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in
Louise Wilson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Set in Somerset.

When the pupils of Cliff Heights school arrive that morning they did not k ow that the next three hours would be the most scariest and life changing hours of their lives. Their school is under siege. The headmaster, Matthew Marr has been injured. There is three gunmen. One is walking up and down the corridor, one outside in the woods but where is the third one? The snow has started to fall, hampering the rescue attempt.

This book is a out a hate crime. It's emotionally fraught
ABCme
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mindblowing and breathtaking!

A school compound is held hostage by white supremacists, one inside, one outside and possibly a third one out in the woods. The reader is guided through the different sections of the school holding children of different age groups. We learn how each responds to the drama unfolding.
Tension is slowly building on all fronts in this extremely well crafted story. Fast paced, exquisite writing. Indepth characters have me sitting right next to them holding hands, praying
Sheri
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three Hours is incredible. This story of a school under siege is horrifying, terrifying and a true emotional rollercoaster. I read it mostly over the course of a day and evening, and ended feeling completely wrung out. I don’t want to say too much, though, because it’s best discovered for yourself.

Cliff Heights School, set amid woodland on the Somerset coast, is the last place you would expect to be terrorised by gunmen over a period of three traumatic hours. We see the story as it unfolds from
Lou
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Three Hours is bestselling author Rosamund Lupton's latest standalone thriller; I particularly love how her novels are packed with emotion and many perceptive and moving moments but that it never results in the plot lacking in terms of thrills and excitement or it being watered down essentially. This is the most powerful and affecting story I have read in a long time and it's timely and topical given that America has a huge problem with youngsters shooting up schools right now. It centres on a ...more
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Three hours is 180 minutes or 10,800 seconds.
It is a morning’s lessons, a dress rehearsal of Macbeth, a snowy trek through the woods.
It’s an eternity waiting for news. Or a countdown to something terrible.
It is 180 minutes to discover who you will die for and what men will kill for.

I am glad I got the chance to be part of the blog tour for Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton. I was reading this book while I was on a plane, travelling to
Clare
With thanks to Netgalley and Penguin for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

I checked Google before writing this and there were 45 school shooting in the US in 2019. Luckily we have never experienced this in the UK, which is why Three Hours left me chilled to the bone.

Cliff Heights School was a mixed private school in Somerset. It's ethos was to promote tolerance and respect. The story began at 09.16 am when head master Matthew Marr was shot by an unknown gunman outside the
Polly
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rosamund Lupton’s debut “Sister” was one of my most frequently-recommended books in the years after it came out, so I was really excited to read her latest offering.

I haven’t read a book this gripping from page 1 in a long time. The opening paragraph is a stunning piece of writing, dropping you right into the action with a wonderfully poetic description of the firing of a gun – the smallest movement of a finger that will change the lives of everyone in this book.

Three Hours was so difficult to
Jannelies
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Beautifully written with strong characters and excellent insight in the good and not-so-good sides of people. This story about a school shooting, but even more about what happened before that made some people decide to go ahead with it, is not an easy read. I had a bit of trouble getting into the story because of the location, with several buildings spread out and people having to move from one place to another, or just having to stay inside to stay safe. After a while I decided to not to try ...more
Dawn
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A small school in the middle of a snow storm is under threat. Gunmen have arrived and shot the head teacher. Children are scattered about but why this school and why these children?

This was such a gripping read. Beautifully written and heartfelt. I was hooked from the start and paid no attention to anything else going on apart from this book.

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
Michelle Curie
Jun 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller
Oh dear, did I read a different novel to everyone else? I don't want to imply that this isn't a good book, as multiply people before me have felt touched and moved by it, but I personally experienced it as a struggle to make it through.

The premise sounded intriguing: the entire novel is told over the course of 180 minutes. During those three hours, a snowed-in school in Somerset is attacked by masked gunmen. The headmaster is wounded, the pupils are held hostage.

It's a brave and touchy topic
Claire Mawdesley
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! I absolutely loved this book. It was beautifully written, heartwrenching, and I was frantic with worry about the kids. This book had my heart in my mouth for the majority of the time, interspersed with moments of immense pride for those brave wonderful children and their teachers.

I think the most unsettling part of the book though, is how 'relevant' unfortunately, the story is in these unsettling times.

I am now going to get the other books by this author read.

LOVED IT!!
Kate
An immensely powerful, emotional and tense thriller which takes place over a period of just three hours, from various points of view, as gunmen besiege a school on the Somerset coast. 'Harrowing' doesn't do it justice. Nor does 'heart-wrenching'. I actually wept when I finished it, on the bus. That doesn't happen often (probably just as well!). Review to follow closer to the publication date on For Winter Nights.
Amelia Strydom
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy
All the stars for an absolutely spellbinding read! I loved it even more than Sister, and that says a lot. I already know that, no matter what amazing books I happen upon in 2020, this will remain in my top 3 reads.

Ms. Lipton has crafted an unforgettable literary thriller that has it all:
1. A setting that is both magical and chilling (in all senses of the word, I was literally cold most of the time). Picture a school in the middle of the woods on a snowy day. A very special school: The
Ruthy lavin
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tripfiction
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels-set-in-uk
Thriller set in SOMERSET

Three Hours, the latest novel from the Sunday Times bestselling author Rosamund Lupton, looks set to scoop up all the awards – it’s pacy, powerful and terrifying – a brilliant thriller – but so much more besides.

The novel takes the reader to a sprawling middle-class school set in forested grounds in rural Somerset. The action covers three hours in the life of the staff, pupils and parents while a blizzard rages outside and the school is under siege. The headmaster is the

• Who Did You Tell?
  • The House on the Lake
  • Grown-Ups
  • The Dilemma
  • Haven't They Grown
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • A Window Breaks
  • The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
  • Unexpected Lessons in Love
  • The Mercies
  • The Temple House Vanishing
  • The Memory Wood
  • The Mothers: Five women. Five secrets. One missing husband.
Rosamund Lupton's new book, 'Three Hours' is published on 9th January 2020.

Her debut novel, 'Sister' was a BBC Radio 4 Book at Bedtime, a Sunday Times and New York Times best seller and the fastest selling debut in WHSmiths'history. Her next two books 'Afterwards' and 'The Quality of Silence' were also Sunday Times best sellers. Her novels have been translated into over thirty languages.