Jump to ratings and reviews

Brave New Girls #4

Adventures of Gals and Gizmos

Venture into realms of sci-fi marvels.

Come explore a world of teen makers and innovators. From interstellar escapades to near-future locales, this volume of sci-fi stories has something for everyone. Girls who use their mechanical acumen to save interstellar colonies and design super-powered armor. Young women who apply their knacks for numbers to finding criminals and solving environmental problems. Ladies who use brainpower and intellectual skills to defeat zombies, space pirates, evil aliens, and more.

All revenues from sales of this anthology will be donated to Society of Women Engineers scholarship fund. Let’s show girls they can be STEM superstars too.

Stories by:

Elisha Betts, Bryna Butler, Russ Colchamiro, Paige Daniels, Keith R.A. DeCandido, Lizz Donnelly, Mary Fan, JF Garrard, Nicole Iversen, A.A. Jankiewicz, Nancy Johnston, Kris Katzen, Amy Lewanski, Phil Margolies, Tash McAdam, Jelani Akin Parham, Josh Pritchett, Mackenzie Reide, Aaron Rosenberg, Jennifer Lee Rossman , J.R. Rustrian, Joanna Schnurman, Holly Schofield, Lisa Toohey, J.K. Ullrich, and Victoria Zelvin.

Featuring illustrations by Elisha Betts, Tom Daly, Sean "MunkyWrench" Eddingfield, Ben Falco, Kathy Ferrell, Fauzy Zulvikar Firmansyah, Abby Massengale, RM Nielsen, Julia Patterson, Ann Piesen, Harley Scroggins, Emily Smith, Ronald Suh, and Kay Wrenn.

Paperback

First published July 10, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Paige Daniels

26 books30 followers
Paige Daniels is the pen name of Tina Closser. By day she works as an Electrical Engineer and Mom mushing her kids from gymnastics and violin practice. After the kids go to bed, she rocks out with her headphones turned to eleven and cranks out books. She is an uber science geek. If she wasn't married to the most terrific guy in the world, she would be a groupie for Adam Baldwin.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (75%)
4 stars
1 (25%)
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews
Profile Image for Lizz Donnelly.
Author 8 books5 followers
Read
September 12, 2019
***No Star review because I have a story in this anthology***

Representation matters.

It matters for me-- my own little blurb in this anthology acknowledges the fact that I didn't really find an interest in science until I was well out of high school and I didn't really find Science Fiction until grad school. There's exponentially more material out there today aimed at a female target audience than there was twenty years ago, but science and science fiction are still, by and large, male dominated fields. I wish something like this had fallen into my hands when I was a kid, and I'm thrilled to be part of it now, with the hope that it just might change some little girl's life and set her on the path to something great that she maybe hadn't considered a viable option before.

It matters, too, in the diversity of characters that can be found in this anthology. There are princesses and tomboys, cool girls, nerds, mean girls, girls of every race, size and shape. One is autistic. One uses a wheelchair. One uses a prosthetic. One prefers they/them pronouns. One is a trans girl. I could keep going, but you get the point.

This handful of stories gives girls permission to be any kind of girl they are, or want to be. There is no one way to be a girl, and there's no "right" way to be a girl. It's awesome.
22 reviews
December 19, 2020
These anthologies are incredible--every single story delivers with an engrossing adventure centered on a young female heroine who uses her brains to save the day. Each protagonist is different, with skills in engineering or botany or coding, and each comes from a different context, be that near our world, a different planet, or a different timeline. While the messages of most stories are hopeful, there's something in here for everyone, from grim and apocalyptic futures to glitzy and glamorous ones. There are space mechs, pilots, girls coding under the radar to feed their families, on the run from murderous AIs, or girls that ARE the AIs. Highly recommended for everyone, but especially middle and high school aged girls.
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.