Start by marking “I’m a Gay Wizard (Gay Wizard, #1)” as Want to Read:
I’m a Gay Wizard (Gay Wizard, #1)

I’m a Gay Wizard

(Gay Wizard #1)

You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue…

When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holidays dabbling in magic, they never expect it to have consequences. Sure, it'd be great if they could banish bullies or change their lives for the better, and what harm could come from lighting a few candles and chanting a few spells? They get their answ
Expected publication: October 29th 2019 by Wattpad Books (first published February 11th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about I’m a Gay Wizard, please sign up.
Bash the Fash I've read the book and the similarities begin and end with the wizards being gay.

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
*UPDATE 12JUL19* GUESS WHO GOT AN ARC!?

description

this cover sucked me in so hard i broke my keyboard at work requesting this from netgalley.
Bash the Fash
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a queer reader, one of the most significant problems in modern YA is the lack of own voices, gay, fantasy novels. That doesn't mean that none exist, but LGBTQ novels have leaned toward being contemporary and issue-based. V.S. Santoni goes a long way in correcting this error. Historically gay fantasy has been dominated by people that by their very orientations can't understand, not truly, what it means to be a gay person. This is embodied by Rainbow Rowell's Carry On. I get why some people enj ...more
Gillian
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I adored this book! It was everything I could have ever wanted from a book called “I’m a Gay Wizard”. I loved the characters and I enjoyed their growth throughout the story.

This book really made me want more and I was excited when I saw that it will continue! I cannot wait for more Hunter and Johnny! They are so sweet and awkward and I love them so much!
Simon Fennex
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for providing me with an early copy of this book to review. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced by this opportunity.

This was such a fresh and fun read that I wanted to do for pride month. I loved the writing style since it wasn't too pretentious (in a very good way). I found the characters likeable and overall interesting.
It's not the book of the year by all means. It did entertain me though!
Coltostallion
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This concept had a lot of potential, but it didn't live up to it. While not tagged as a YA book, it really felt like one. The single sex scene was particularly childish and just didn't feel like it felt in a novel for adults. The writing was uneven. Sometimes good and sometimes less so. I would assume there's still some rounds of editing to go after the ARC I read considering there were s scattered throughout. The pacing was all over the place as well but was mostly just way too fast. It felt li ...more
Lauren Swords
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read an arc of this book on net galley.. it was tagged as adult which doesn’t seem to fit right. It seems to me to read as a YA novel and when I googled the title it came up as YA fiction so that what I’m going to judge it as. The world building is wonderful and the story is a fun and hopeful romance. I loved Johnny and the novels frank honesty about the Awkwardness of adolescences and first loves. I’ve read some commentary about the dialogue being there for jokes. I like the dialogue being pith ...more
Adelle R.
Tak jo. Nakonec to zas tak špatný nebylo.

--------------------------------------------
To be perfectly honest; I am very, very skeptical when it comes to Wattpad. I believe that we can find truly great stories in there, but... you know, 90 % is a trash. I wanted to read an LGBT novel, that's why I gave Gay Wizard a chance. And, as I said, as it's from Wattpad, I didn't have high hopes. But? In the end, it was better than I thought.

The main protagonist is Johnny, whose friend Alison is crazy about
Cami Franceschi
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Enlgish/Español review.

People should stop judging stories or books just because they come from Wattpad, because they miss stories like these.
What I liked most about the book is that they used the element of magic in a more original way than what I'm used to reading. Let's see, the general of the school of magic and young people with powers is there, but I feel that the author took a very different direction and I loved it. The whole subject of the school and the rebels became super dark and intr
Katrina Ayala
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m a Gay Wizard - there’s so much about this book I liked and some things I didn’t love. I gave it a 3/5 stars. While I appreciate the queerness and the visibility of a trans person - there was some thinks lacking in character development for me. The world building was a little iffy but I could overlook that. However, I will offer up a trigger warning for the gay hate crime that appears early on in the story. I’m not upset about that, because queer people do experience these types of situations ...more
Victoria Robinson
Jun 12, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
Cool concept, not so cool execution. While I know that this is an advanced reading copy and things will be more ship-shape in the final copy, this still read like something pulled straight from Wattpad.
DNF
Carol
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, fantasy
Disclaimer: I have voluntarily reviewed this book after receiving a free copy from NetGalley, thank you!

I’m a Gay Wizard is about a young Latino guy called Johnny and his friend Allison, who after trying to cast a magic spell to get revenge on their bullies, end up taken away to an Institute where, as they are told, wizards are trained. Their families have memories about them erased and they are not allowed to go home, all in the name of their safety. Needless to say, they’re not too happy about
V.S. Santoni
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Maybe I'm a little partial.

Content warnings. I'm going to include the pages:

Graphic depiction of kidnapping Pg. 1-2, Pg. 33-36
Child abuse Pg. 254-259
Character Death Pg. 331-332

RE Reader
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This was definitely a mixed bag for me, but I did like enough of it to give 3 stars.

What I liked:
~Johnny -- he's a likable narrator, and although some of his character development is shaky because of the weak plot and world building, I found him sympathetic and definitely enjoyed spending time with him.
~Hunter -- probably because we're seeing him through Johnny's eyes, Hunter's also very likable.
~the creativity -- I thought the magic aspects were very innovative and interesting, despite the poor
Jason S Wrench
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
OK, so I wasn't completely sure what I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised that this book didn't rely on some of the wizarding tropes that exist out there. Sure, the main character gets sucked inside a wizarding world and ends up attending a wizarding academy, but this place is no Hogwarts.

The reading was delightful and kept me guessing what would happen next. In this regards, it's similar to another famous wizarding series. In many respects, the central character's sexuality is almost a b
iam
Jun 16, 2019 marked it as to-read-owned
Shelves: arc, lgbtqia, ya, ownvoices
I'm gonna read this ARC that I got via NetGalley at a later date closer to release because the current version has ATROCIOUS formatting (I'm reading on Kindle.) It's almost unreadable with random or missing line breaks/paragraphs, page numbers in the middle of a sentence, missing chapter formatting and so on.

The premise of this sounds great, and it's #ownvoices rep for the latinx and gay protagonist! His best friend is trans and awesome, too!

However, the few % I read so far already had content
Sarah Hannah
Jun 18, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, fantasy, ya
Was this bad on purpose?
Samuel
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really don’t know what to say about this novel except that I had fun reading it. It’s one of those types of books that was like a carnival. It’s fun, made me smile, and I’d like another go next time it arrives in town. That’s what I expected from a book with a neon unicorn on the cover. Gay cotton candy.

4.5
Heather Bennett
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm a Gay Wizard has a great premise with good characters. I feel the writing has fallen short and needs a little more editing.
Claire
Jul 07, 2019 rated it did not like it

I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Oh boy, this one was a huge miss for me.
It was just far too disjointed, flitting from scene to scene without really building on anything. Nothing really made sense, and the overall atmosphere was confusing and irritating.
I feel like this book focused too heavily on being camp as fuck and the plot really suffered.

I can’t believe we’re t
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, netgalley, ya
I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I wanted to love this book. I really, truly did. Being part of the LGBTQAI+ community myself, I’m always happy to see an own voices author, and I always wish for them to succeed.

That being said, I… did not enjoy this book. The premise itself sounded interesting enough, the start of it seemed promising – and then it was just very thoroughly meh.

First off, the pacing is…. interesting. There are no “filler chapters”, something mean
Charlotte Kinzie
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
First! The good stuff! This book was a lot of fun to read. The friendly/snarky banter between the characters gave me life and made me laugh out loud more than once.

Santoni has come up with a clever concept: in this world, the first time you use magic sparks a terrifying event. Anyone with magical ability is abducted and taken to an institute under the guise of being trained and protected. But, the reader finds out early on that’s not really what is going on. Basically, Johnny is abducted and inc
Z Aung
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
ARC from Netgalley with thanks

I think this will be an enjoyable read for a particular type of audience, unfortunately I am not it.

I come from the era of Fictionpress and this novel reminded me of far too many of the original slash fiction one might have found on there. The thing is, this had the trappings of everything I love: magical school, dark secrets, cute gays but they never came together in a way that worked for me. There were glimpses of brilliance in some of the passages and the plot i
H. Taylor
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was given an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a review.

review up on my blog Inkorkeys

First things first: THAT cover! amazing, full points for that awesome, colourful and artistic cover.
On to the rest.

I’m a Gay Wizard is a wattpad book, and I don’t know if I subconsciously went into this one with some preconceived prejudice about what a wattad book is, i.e. After *cough cough*, but I didn’t really enjoy it.

I don’t think there was anything inherently wrong with the plot of I’m a Gay Wizard b
Andrea
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book. I loved the idea of the story and that the main character was LGBTQ, and Latino. The story follows our main character Johnny and his best friend Alison as they are taken to an Institute where wizards are trained, or so they are told. It is basically a prison, however, and they spend much of their time trying to find a way out. The romance was cute, although I think maybe should have been a little more flushed out.

My real problem with this book was the pacing a
Rory
Jul 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF at 24%.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with a free digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I really wanted to like this book. The main characters are diverse and the plot got me so excited to read it, but I just couldn't get through it. I found the characters to be extremely one-dimensional and the descriptions to be lacking, which kept me from really getting into the story. In addition to that, there were lots of little issues that I had with it
Sumaiya Ahmed
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I loved the diversity and representation in it. But there are a few violent scenes, that are a result of homophobia and transphobia which can potentially be triggering for some people. I liked the idea — but Johnny seemed a little passive to me, and I wasn’t a fan of him choosing to go by Johnny either. It was poorly executed and I found some scenes to be childish and not well written. It felt choppy.
Shymsal
While this was fun, sort of Hogworts done black ops, I think they could have come up with a better title. Not sure why the MC's sexuality needed title mention. Enjoyable young adult fare for beach reading.
Siân Plummer (plumreads__s)
*3.5

Review to come on www.scifiandscary.com
Deanna McFadden
Jun 13, 2019
thii moon
Jul 11, 2019
"V.S. Santoni is a Latinx, gay, nonbinary guy who spends way too much time daydreaming. When he isn’t thinking up queer dreampunk stories and scouring YouTube for retro-anime movies, he’s sobbing to sad, old punk songs with his best friend, a Chihuahua named Darla. He lives in Nashville with his husband."

Gay Wizard (2 books)
  • Queer Magic (Gay Wizard, #2)