Start by marking “101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog” as Want to Read:

101 Dog Tricksis an international bestseller in 18 languages with over a half-million copies sold worldwide! This beautifully designed book features step-by-step instructions with easy-to-follow color photos of each step. Each trick is rated with a difficulty rating and prerequisites to get you started quickly. Tips and troubleshooting boxes cover common problems, while ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 101 Dog Tricks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Dog Tricks

Start your review of 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
Jessica
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
While the ideas for tricks were fun, the training technique often used unnecessary punishment during training, and used a lot of luring and physically pushing the dog into position. Shaping behavior was not introduced until most of the way through the book, and could have been used instead of the instruction to "bang your dog on his nose" for trying an unwanted behavior before the dog has figured out what it is you want him to do! An anxious dog or a terrier would give up on training altogether ...more
Tess
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog
Great photos, descriptions, and sense of humor made reading this book a pleasure. I loved the images of the main dog with her thoughts in the margins. hilarious.

Kyra covers a wide range of skill levels and definitely bring the "wow" factor if you want to up the ante and set up a skit with your dog

I have to disagree with the reader who argued against using the cues from the beginning. Dog training is all about consistency. You don't need to expect the dog to recognize the hand cues the first few
Lynne Fedorick
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a professional dog trainer, I recommend this book to all of my students. Brilliantly presented, the process for training 101 innovative dog tricks are presented in an easy to follow format that makes it easy for dog owners to bond with and engage with their dogs while teaching them cool tricks. If you have a pointing dog that doesn't get to go hunting, you need this book. Many of the tricks require focus and mental acuity and energy burning physical output (fitness benefits too!) This book is ...more
Shaya
A+ for awesome trick ideas, nice layout and great pictures. C for execution and training suggestions. I have several problems with the training ideas. First of all, don't use a cue until your dog is doing it properly. Don't encourage the dog to do the trick for the first time with the cue. Pleaz! You'll either teach them early on that the cue doesn't mean anything or that the cue means to do it with the mistakes you had in practice.
Also, I would have liked to see clickers encouraged more.
Melanie
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy for pup

My dog took to these easily! She already knew the basics, so to add to them was much easier than expected! It was great for her mental stimulation. She's a border collie mix and really needed to learn new things.
Sia Karamalegos
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best dog training book ever. It breaks down tricks step by step so you can teach your dog positively with less frustration. Also gives handy tips on which tricks you can try next after mastering a particular skill. Photos are great.
Luis Barragan
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for teaching tricks to your dog. Illustrations and step by step guide are clear and the best part is the "Troubleshooting" section, which always helped.
Kayla
This is the best dog training book I have read. It is easy to understand, good print and pictures. :-)
Lisa
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, reference, animals
Fun tricks to teach pup! There's many levels of difficulty so I'll have this book ready to refer to when Coco is ready and she's a fast learner.
Pato Myers
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't try all of these by any means, but the tricks I did teach my new puppy worked well.
Alicia Bayer
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I got this book from the library after getting a different dog training book from the authors of that book and wanting something a little more basic. We have a rescue dog, Moose, who loves learning tricks and also needs to learn more basics. I was looking for simple, fun tricks the kids and I could teach him. I did find a few (such as adapting "shake hands," which he knows, to "wave goodbye") but of the 101 there were only about 6 that I made a note to try and those were very, very basic.

There
Irene McHugh
One of the convenient things about this instructional dog trick training book is that you don’t have to read it cover-to-cover. After you’ve chosen the tricks you want to work on, the book becomes a handy reference tool.

Each trick entry follows an easy-to-follow format, they're organized thematically, and the step-by-step directions are clear and concise.

For a more in-depth review, please visit McSquare Doodles, my blog about training our two Labradoodles to become certified therapy dogs.
Shari
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
This is a very good book that has strong illustrations on training your dog for tricks. It was recommended to me by a dog trainer. I have a poodle mix who is exceptionally smart. I was able to use a lot of these recommendation to train him in several tricks. The only one, which is crucial, that he would not take to is the retrieve. He thinks if it's in his mouth it belongs to him. "MINE!" So that's as far as he got in his training. That retrieval is a foundation to many more tricks. I do ...more
Ligaya
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The most important part of this book is the very first section that stresses being consistent with your dog. The photos are helpful but I was sometimes confused in the text as to when the author inserts the verbal or visual cues to many of the tricks. Some tricks seem very much out of order in the book, so it lacks a bit of continuity in building upon what the dog as already learned. But there is a large variety of things to teach your dog successfully. This is a great book to start dog ...more
Alex
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-behavior
A fairly comprehensive list of tricks and how-to’s. I did take off a star since many of the foundation how-to’s were fairly outdated and the language was pretty punishment based.

I don’t think I would recommend this book for a new dog owner since they will follow the skills exactly and there are other less invasive ways to teach some of these skills.

Language aside it was a very clear and well detailed trick list. It provides a great baseline on how to start teaching 101 Tricks.
Danielle
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Gives lots of ideas about different tricks to do with fun photos. The "step-by-step" part was a bit lacking as there was great jumps between steps or things which were glossed over. I mostly appreciated it as an idea book and used techniques for shaping and bonding activities which were learned elsewhere.
Andrei Barbu
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Nice to get ideas about what to do, but it's not well organized or written. It also advocates rather harsh methods at times. It also suggests that one should repeat the same command until it is followed. Look for ideas about what is possible and then find better ways to train the same behaviors elsewhere.
Jennah
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
LOVE this dog training book! It provides a step-by-step explanation , tips, and pictures for each trick. There are beginner, intermediate, and advance tricks for all dogs. From this book I have trained my two Australian Shepherds to crawl, roll over, high five, play dead, jump hoops, and jump when told.
Amy
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to teach your dog some tricks. My puppy is clicker trained, so I tried to use the techniques that way, but it didn't seem to help. So I tried her method. I liked the trouble shooting and the pictures. I'm teaching my two dogs one new trick a week from this book, and it's pretty fun!
classic reverie
Kyra Sundance puts out a nice looking book with lots of pictures with step by step but again almost all these tricks are not for my dog but maybe for yours. We don't get the newspaper so no need to fetch that or would I want her to fetch my slippers, she would chew on them. Not looking for fancy and different tricks but the ones that make her a good puppy. ...more
Donna Ferber
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book is very engaging, easy to read. Instructions are easy to follow.- at least it thought so.. At the end, among other things, I learned to roll over with aplomb and carry a beer in my mouth; my dog did not.
Elizabeth
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource!
Muriel Borders
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have for any dog owner. Keep your dog engaged and happy...
Sinead
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
found this book really good i referred to it alot when training my dogs but i couldn't remember all the hand signals.
Mike Hatfield
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good training manual but keep in mind this will not work with ALL dogs...
Robyn
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy bananas! There are a ton of tricks and I felt more like I. Was training for a dog show rather than basic and advanced command. Good book, super overwhelming.
Cassie
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome training guide for all levels!!
Ashley Lutz
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Because I love my trick dog ...more
Jess
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog
Good book of dog tricks. Good variety of skills to show your dog. The book is really nice with easy to follow instructions and good clear pictures.
Cathy
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This isn't a training manual. It isn't the first book you should turn to with your new dog to learn how to teach her sit, stay, come, etc. Each trick is taught in only three to six short steps, with a box on the side with troubleshooting or tips if it's appropriate for that trick. There are pictures to support every trick, which is sometimes very helpful, especially when it comes to deciphering what the author means when she's trying to describe hand signals, that's always confusing in training ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Art of Raising a Puppy
  • Zak George's Dog Training Revolution: The Complete Guide to Raising the Perfect Pet with Love
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves
  • The Happy Puppy Handbook: Your Definitive Guide to Puppy Care and Early Training
  • Train Your Dog Like a Pro
  • Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • Fun and Games for a Smarter Dog: 50 Great Brain Games to Engage Your Dog
  • The Beginner's Guide to Dog Agility
  • Before You Get Your Puppy
  • Spy: The Inside Story of How the FBI's Robert Hanssen Betrayed America
  • Box of Moonlight & Notes from Overboard: A Film-Maker's Diary
  • Dog Training: 50 Dog Smart Tricks (Free 130+ Dog Recipe Book Inside): Step by Step Activities for Full engagement, Fun and Increased Dog IQ
  • Being a Dog: Following the Dog Into a World of Smell
  • Maddie Lounging On Things
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. —Anonymous” 2 likes
“1 Make a slit in a tennis ball and drop a treat inside.” 0 likes