Start by marking “Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope” as Want to Read:
Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope

Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope

From the author of the international mega-bestseller The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck comes a counterintuitive guide to the problems of hope.

We live in an interesting time. Materially, everything is the best it’s ever been—we are freer, healthier and wealthier than any people in human history. Yet, somehow everything seems to be irreparably and horribly f*cked—the plan
Published May 14th 2019 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Everything is F*cked, please sign up.
Chris Barrett I haven't read the book yet (how are people reading it so early?) but, there are stats out there that tell the story of humans being much better off…moreI haven't read the book yet (how are people reading it so early?) but, there are stats out there that tell the story of humans being much better off nowadays. I am sure there are ways to look at the data and skew it in the other direction. Also, your anecdotal evidence of some people working 2 jobs and not making rent doesn't tell the story of the bigger picture. I think, if you look globally and focus on the big picture, the claims are true. I found this article that supports Mark's claims, from a global perspective: https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveden...

I am sure there are tons of articles out there that are a valid counter-point to this one. But the point is, there is data to back up the claims. (less)
Terry A lot of it does come from his blog. If you read it regularly, you will recognize parts about how to start a cult or uncomfortable truths or fake…moreA lot of it does come from his blog. If you read it regularly, you will recognize parts about how to start a cult or uncomfortable truths or fake freedom. I do believe he wraps things up fairly nicely but, if you want entirely new material that you've never seen before, you could be disappointed. (less)

Lindsay Nixon
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Arg, it's really difficult for me to rate this a 3-star. (UPDATE after more thought and discussion, this isn't a 3-star, it's a 2-star)

This isn't a "book" in my opinion. It's more of a collection of essays, "blog posts" and articles you'd see on HuffPo (or perhaps NPR).

There are some parts of the 'book' that were well researched, provided excellent points and I thought to myself "oh wow" and "I'm going to have to read this again!!!" Then there were other parts that I was like "WHAT IS THIS?" and
Adam Woods
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Something is very wrong with the world. It’s us. We have abandoned our quest for character in favour of one for happiness and we have created a world of diversions that give the illusion of freedom but in fact keep us docile and imprisoned.

Manson has written a book that will stay with me for a while. This very well-researched exploration into human virtues (and hope in particular) isn’t exactly warm and fuzzy. Nor is it pessimistic. In fact it is paradoxically optimistic for a book that genuinel
David Lee
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smart and funny, this book will help you make sense of your mind and the world we live in

If you liked Subtle Art, you'll enjoy this too. I couldn't put it down, actually, reading it in under a day.

Mark has a talent for taking potentially boring subject matter, such as the teachings of philosophers, and bringing it to life in easy-to-understand language (with plenty of expletives).

I especially liked his Consciousness Car metaphor in explaining the Thinking Brain vs Feeling Brain (would love to
Ella
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book will not be a well loved book.

I only say this because as a person who has read a lot of his articles as well as his previous book, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, there are a lot of concepts in this book that can be perceived as radical, and possibly downright offensive. The keyword is perceived. When you come into this book hoping and/or believing that this book will affirm all of your biases, all of your hopes and dreams, all of what you stand for, then you wouldn't have a gre
Nikita
May 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Can someone please remind me never to pick a Mark Manson book again? The writing is insufferable, he grossly oversimplifies ideas that need a more nuanced view, makes preposterous generalizations about mental health and related concepts, and generally makes you wonder what his point really is. Not sure how he gets published, but seems to be riding a strange wave with the word *fuck* in his titles.
Uddipta
May 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Did not finish.
He starts off by mentioning the holocaust, how people had "real" problems back then, compared to us who are now weeping at minor inconveniences behind closed doors: crying for an ex, crying because someone was rude to us, etc. I find this comparison disgusting and I mean it. The problems back then were physical and very different. There was no internet back then. Now, in the internet age, we have lots of things to compare ourselves with. Everyday, whether we want it or not, we are
Mehrsa
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book was a meaningless string of random thoughts and stoic philosophy and meditation. It was funny at parts, but mostly just a few interesting stories and cliches that are set up as being new insight. Also, I don't buy stoicism and meditation as a way forward. I am still interested in progress and I do think social movements can make people's lives better. Manson seems to think it's all just vain showing off and we should all just chill, but life isn't about peace and happiness. We also sear ...more
Fran Cormack
I wish I had enjoyed this book more. I really wanted to. I so enjoyed Mark's first book, I had high hopes for this one.

Alas, I found it uninspiring, and without much direction. Lots of rambling, with famous people from history thrown in, for which I never saw the connection. It felt a little forced. Contrived even. Like Mark is really, really trying to fill a book.

I will be watching for what he writes next, and hope to get my love back for Mr Manson.
Thomas
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as the first, a little more broad but still asks the reader to question themselves.

Mandatory reading if you want to break your conditioning.
Hestia Istiviani
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I read in English but this review is written in Bahasa Indonesia

"The fact is that we require more than willpower to achieve self-control. It turns out that our emotions are instrumental in our decision making and our actions. We just don't always realize it."

Sukses dengan buku The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, 3 tahun kemudian Mark Manson barulah melanjutkan tulisannya melalui Everything is F*cked. Buku yang sepertinya sudah ditunggu-tunggu oleh sebagian besar pembaca setianya ini lebih fok
Sam Smith
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Everything is Fucked is a much more mature book than his last. While in the last book we looked at things we shouldn't care about, this book more focuses on what to care about. And I have to say that this book was really well done, and in my opinion, better than his last.

This book will definitely leave you feeling different than when you started it. I never take notes while reading a book, but this one time I did, because a lot will stick with you, and you won't want to forget it.

"Don't hope fo
Katie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’ll have a full review soon, but for now: y i k e s
Stanley Sharkey
May 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How this guy keeps getting published I will never understand. Why I keep reading his books is something else I cannot understand. However, I saw it was marked 50% off at B&N, so I went ahead and bought it. I have read through it while doing cardio after lifting and can say that it is awful. It is more-or-less his other book rehashed with different wording. Not to mention, he misunderstands concepts but uses them throughout his book anyway.

He states, "Nihilism and the pure indulgence of desir
Mark
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
After loving The Subtle Art, I found this a real disappointment. I found it very dry and lacking the playfulness of his first book. I also found it hard to track the overarching ‘story’ of the book, it felt more like a jumbled collection of articles. Just couldn’t connect to it
Chester
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Needlessly convoluted. Includes terms like "God value" and "emotional altverse Issac Newton". (???)

Been following Mark Manson's content in the early days and this was a huge disappointment -- this time, Mark gets lost with his thoughts with his head far too down his ass.
Javier Lorenzana
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. As a fan of Mark Manson, I enjoyed his at-times comical writing style and humorous anecdotes in his other books. Yet, this felt stale.

The book is lazy. It's essentially a bunch of repackaged Nietzsche and Harari stuffed together without any flow whatsoever. The central theme of hope acts as a loose umbrella topic to otherwise disconnected chapters.

The book talks about subjects right out of Sapiens and Homo Deus by Yuval Harari. The only difference is that Mans
Shreya Bhatt
"Greater commitment allows for greater depth. A lack of commitment requires superficiality."

First of all, if you are looking for a book that will give you hope about something, then just don't continue reading this. This book is not about hope. It is anti-hope.

And I understand the concept and can relate to what the author is saying but the author contradicts himself more often in this one. It'll leave you confused.

This one is much better than the subtle art of not giving a f*CK, just because it
Miquixote
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour-8, self-help-6
This book’s thesis has already been written. Many times. This is stoicism. This is Nietzsche. This is Kant. This fact does not reduce the subject's interest whatsoever. I post 2 reviews below:

A Pop Culture Full Metal Alchemist Review (recommended if you have some symptoms of A.D.D):

“A lesson without pain is meaningless. That's because no one can gain without sacrificing something. But by enduring that pain and overcoming it, he shall obtain a powerful, unmatched heart. A fullmetal heart. That
Christine D
May 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed through a lot of this. It seems to me like he did a lot of philosophical research, then gathered a bunch contemporary themes, threw them in a mixing bowl and voilà! sequel!
This just wasn't for me.
If you are looking for something remotely hopeful, I would recommend not picking this up. 'a book about hope' is a misnomer in my opinion.
jeremy
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gen-nonfiction
true freedom doesn't really exist because we all must sacrifice some autonomy for stability. no one, no matter how much you love them or they love you, will ever absolve that internal guilt you feel simply for existing. it's all fucked. everything is fucked. it always has been and always will be. there are no solutions, only stopgap measures, only incremental improvements, only slightly better forms of fuckedness than others. and it's time we stop running from that and, instead, embrace it.
exp
Edward Taylor
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
After reading Manson's other book "The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck", I was looking forward to another insightful read into the subtle art of "gonzo self-help" that has become pervasive in the past few years. There were some high points (his Nietzsche and Kant sections as well as "What Einstein said" were awesome) but the overall tone of the book seemed a little stretched and rushed. Trying to find a point of hope in a world of chaos and disorder can be fruitless and to quote "The Shawshank R ...more
Sophie Rayton
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely excellent!
This book is well researched and well written. Manson is insightful and hilarious. While reading I felt both hopeful and nihilistic. This book challenges the reader in the best mind-expanding way. I imagine even those who disagree with the points of views presented here, would still come away having learned something and glad they did.
Lisianthus Lee
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
It ends more with a dismal whimper than a hopeful bang. Why do we need to workship at the altar of AI gods not dog? AI is an newfangled product of human creation manipulated and controlled by our high capacity fellow beings not some divine superior flown down from the olympic heaven.
Our worst enemy on this planet is none other man himself.
Zarathustra Goertzel
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, my impression as that the further Mark deviates from dating and relationship advice, the poorer the quality becomes. I respect the effort as Mark's simple dating related advice doesn't need any additions :).

Ther book lacks a coherent thread, perhaps even more so than "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck", which was a fairly decent book.

tl;dr - probably not much to be gained over the articles on his blog. And the good sections, frankly, could just be articles.

Perhaps I'm simply n
Ceil
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture, business
When a big part of your brand is plain speaking (as the titles of both Manson's books suggest), it might be the height of hubris to pen "a book about hope" that references Plato, Kant, Nietzsche, and a bunch of other philosophical heavyweights to make its case. That Manson pulls it off is a testament to the clarity of this thinking on weighty topics of what it means to be human and how we can best navigate the world in which humans have to interact with each other. Read it for the discussion of ...more
Sharvani Pinge
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
There are more things Mark gets wrong in this book than he gets them right...
Oversimplification of very complex ideas, curse words slipped in unnecessarily simply because they worked in his first book, disjointed writing - one minute he's talking about hope, the next he's on to religion, and then suddenly jumps to how humanity's collective brain works. And even though they're all supposed to somehow tie together and convey the same point, they don't!
I suffered through the book, skipping pages he
Josh Laird
The follow up to 2016's The Subtle Art of brings Mark's trademark writing back in full force; it reads like a frat boy telling you summed up pop science at a party. Sometimes it's amusing but after more than a few minutes you just want to start talking to somebody else.

Mark sums up philosophy and science and supplies it in a way that's easy to read and digest. Some parts I found super interesting such as the incoming threat of AI but I found myself skimming through other parts.
Benjamin Azevedo
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
The author is fun, wit and it's an enjoyable read.

But forget the title or the subtitle. They were probably created by the marketing department to profit from the author's previous success.

The content is actually some books reviews. You will have a glimpse of Newton, Nietzsche, and Kant biography mixed with five or six of the latest self-help books in no particular order.

If you liked his first book, you might also find this one fun.

Magdalena Cpt
There are some good ideas in this book but someone told me once that any good book can be summarized in one long sentence.
What’s this book really about? Hope? Everything being f*cked? Life? People? Better call it “The Book of Random Thoughts”. What the author doesn’t understand is that a book needs a structure and a bigger idea, unless you call it a collection of essays and then I know what to expect.
It’s just so random. My guess after reading his first book, which btw is much better, is that h
Claudia
I was excited about this book because I loved the first one...this is different, with a different tone. It is sticky-noted and annotated in the margins as I tried to put it all together.

What resonated most deeply, and saved the book for me, was his discussion of maturity...of our journey through childhood and adolescence, to, for SOME of us, adult thinking.

He combined the research of Piaget, Kohlberg, Erickson, Kierkegaard, and a new name for me, Kegan...What are our values and our goals and ou
Mark Manson (born 1984) is a professional blogger, entrepreneur, and former dating coach. Since 2007, he's been helping people with their emotional and relationship problems. He has worked with thousands of people from over 30 different countries.

He regularly writes and updates his blog at: www.markmanson.net
“No, the opposite of happiness is hopelessness, an endless gray horizon of resignation and indifference.3 It’s the belief that everything is fucked, so why do anything at all?” 5 likes
“Self-control is an illusion. It’s an illusion that occurs when both brains are aligned and pursuing the same course of action.” 5 likes