Start by marking “Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope” as Want to Read:
Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope

Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  36,689 ratings  ·  3,488 reviews
From the author of the international mega-bestseller The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck comes a counterintuitive guide to the problems of hope.

We live in an interesting time. Materially, everything is the best it’s ever been—we are freer, healthier and wealthier than any people in human history. Yet, somehow everything seems to be irreparably and horribly f*cked—the plan
Published May 14th 2019 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Everything is F*cked, please sign up.
Chris Barrett I haven't read the book yet (how are people reading it so early?) but, there are stats out there that tell the story of humans being much better off n…moreI haven't read the book yet (how are people reading it so early?) but, there are stats out there that tell the story of humans being much better off nowadays. I am sure there are ways to look at the data and skew it in the other direction. Also, your anecdotal evidence of some people working 2 jobs and not making rent doesn't tell the story of the bigger picture. I think, if you look globally and focus on the big picture, the claims are true. I found this article that supports Mark's claims, from a global perspective: https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveden...

I am sure there are tons of articles out there that are a valid counter-point to this one. But the point is, there is data to back up the claims. (less)
Ashutosh Singh Very different content and approach.
"The subtle art..." is more on an individual level, and it is best practiced as a daily guide for self-improvement…more
Very different content and approach.
"The subtle art..." is more on an individual level, and it is best practiced as a daily guide for self-improvement.
"Everything is f*cked" is a take on multiple ideologies, and the basically the idea that "living without emotion" is not only a wasted idea but probably impossible. I like it's angles on consumerism vs freedom, <spoiler> Newton's laws of emotions, and how science itself is just another type of faith.</spoiler>(less)

·  36,689 ratings  ·  3,488 reviews

Start your review of Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
Lindsay Nixon
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Arg, it's really difficult for me to rate this.

This isn't a "book" in my opinion. It's more of a collection of essays, "blog posts" and articles you'd see on HuffPo (or perhaps NPR).

There are some parts of the 'book' that were well researched, provided excellent points and I thought to myself "oh wow" and "I'm going to have to read this again!!!" Then there were other parts that I was like "WHAT IS THIS?" and "WHY IS THIS HERE?"

The writing also oscillated between deplorable to somewhat academic
Ella
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book will not be a well loved book.

I only say this because as a person who has read a lot of his articles as well as his previous book, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, there are a lot of concepts in this book that can be perceived as radical, and possibly downright offensive. The keyword is perceived. When you come into this book hoping and/or believing that this book will affirm all of your biases, all of your hopes and dreams, all of what you stand for, then you wouldn't have a gre
Nikita
May 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Can someone please remind me never to pick a Mark Manson book again? The writing is insufferable, he grossly oversimplifies ideas that need a more nuanced view, makes preposterous generalizations about mental health and related concepts, and generally makes you wonder what his point really is. Not sure how he gets published, but seems to be riding a strange wave with the word *fuck* in his titles.
Adam Woods
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Something is very wrong with the world. It’s us. We have abandoned our quest for character in favour of one for happiness and we have created a world of diversions that give the illusion of freedom but in fact keep us docile and imprisoned.

Manson has written a book that will stay with me for a while. This very well-researched exploration into human virtues (and hope in particular) isn’t exactly warm and fuzzy. Nor is it pessimistic. In fact it is paradoxically optimistic for a book that genuinel
Uddipta
May 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Did not finish.
He starts off by mentioning the holocaust, how people had "real" problems back then, compared to us who are now weeping at minor inconveniences behind closed doors: crying for an ex, crying because someone was rude to us, etc. I find this comparison disgusting and I mean it. The problems back then were physical and very different. There was no internet back then. Now, in the internet age, we have lots of things to compare ourselves with. Everyday, whether we want it or not, we are
Kalyn Nicholson
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If I were to ask someone to “give it to me straight” in terms of life, humanity and our future potential, this book would be it.
Amazing read, push through the first few chapters and you’ll see how it all ties together in the end!
Javier Lorenzana
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. As a fan of Mark Manson, I enjoyed his at-times comical writing style and humorous anecdotes in his other books. Yet, this felt stale.

The book is lazy. It's essentially a bunch of repackaged Nietzsche and Harari stuffed together without any flow whatsoever. The central theme of hope acts as a loose umbrella topic to otherwise disconnected chapters.

The book talks about subjects right out of Sapiens and Homo Deus by Yuval Harari. The only difference is that Mans
Mehrsa
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book was a meaningless string of random thoughts and stoic philosophy and meditation. It was funny at parts, but mostly just a few interesting stories and cliches that are set up as being new insight. Also, I don't buy stoicism and meditation as a way forward. I am still interested in progress and I do think social movements can make people's lives better. Manson seems to think it's all just vain showing off and we should all just chill, but life isn't about peace and happiness. We also sear ...more
David Lee
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smart and funny, this book will help you make sense of your mind and the world we live in

If you liked Subtle Art, you'll enjoy this too. I couldn't put it down, actually, reading it in under a day.

Mark has a talent for taking potentially boring subject matter, such as the teachings of philosophers, and bringing it to life in easy-to-understand language (with plenty of expletives).

I especially liked his Consciousness Car metaphor in explaining the Thinking Brain vs Feeling Brain (would love to
Heidi The Reader
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This creatively titled self-help book, Everything is F*cked, presents psychology, philosophy and the author's view of reality. In a series of essays, Mark Manson discusses a variety of topics including the differences between the "thinking brain" and "feeling brain." He uses Isaac Newton's laws to create a parallel universe's version of emotional laws and completes a fairly scathing dissection of religion. Throughout the various topics, he circles back to the idea of hope and how it can potentia ...more
Fran Cormack
I wish I had enjoyed this book more. I really wanted to. I so enjoyed Mark's first book, I had high hopes for this one.

Alas, I found it uninspiring, and without much direction. Lots of rambling, with famous people from history thrown in, for which I never saw the connection. It felt a little forced. Contrived even. Like Mark is really, really trying to fill a book.

I will be watching for what he writes next, and hope to get my love back for Mr Manson.
Stanley Sharkey
May 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How this guy keeps getting published I will never understand. Why I keep reading his books is something else I cannot understand. However, I saw it was marked 50% off at B&N, so I went ahead and bought it. I have read through it while doing cardio after lifting and can say that it is awful. It is more-or-less his other book rehashed with different wording. Not to mention, he misunderstands concepts but uses them throughout his book anyway.

He states, "Nihilism and the pure indulgence of desire th
Mark
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
After loving The Subtle Art, I found this a real disappointment. It was very dry and lacking the playfulness of his first book. I also found it hard to track the overarching ‘story’ of the book, it felt more like a jumbled collection of articles. Just couldn’t connect to it in any meaningful way
Sam Smith
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Everything is Fucked is a much more mature book than his last. While in the last book we looked at things we shouldn't care about, this book more focuses on what to care about. And I have to say that this book was really well done, and in my opinion, better than his last.

This book will definitely leave you feeling different than when you started it. I never take notes while reading a book, but this one time I did, because a lot will stick with you, and you won't want to forget it.

"Don't hope fo
Miquixote
This book’s thesis has already been written. Many times. This is stoicism. This is Nietzsche. This is Kant. This fact does not reduce the subject's interest whatsoever. I post 2 reviews below:

A Pop Culture Full Metal Alchemist Review (recommended if you have some symptoms of A.D.D):

“A lesson without pain is meaningless. That's because no one can gain without sacrificing something. But by enduring that pain and overcoming it, he shall obtain a powerful, unmatched heart. A fullmetal heart. That
Sam
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Deeper but Incohesive
After reading "the subtle art of not giving a fuck", I thought that Manson would have no new subject to talk about, and I was almost right. It can be concluded that this book has a more didactic tone, that is, it goes deeper and scrutinizes our intrinsic values, showing us the myopic effect they impose on our life. The thing is Manson's previous book had a very straightforward scheme (not that I am a stalwart supporter of linear plots, actually it is the exact opposite), how
Elsa Rajan Pradhananga
The book starts off with the remarkable truth that ...We are inconsequential cosmic dust, bumping and milling about on a tiny blue speck. We imagine our own importance. We invent our purpose—we are nothing. Drawing from psychological facts and the wisdom of philosophy, Mark Manson establishes with ease that hope is a mechanism to steer forward despite the uncomfortable truth of life that human existence is meaningless. The author won me over with his logic, sharp observations and interesting an ...more
Shreya Bhatt
"Greater commitment allows for greater depth. A lack of commitment requires superficiality."

First of all, if you are looking for a book that will give you hope about something, then just don't continue reading this. This book is not about hope. It is anti-hope.

And I understand the concept and can relate to what the author is saying but the author contradicts himself more often in this one. It'll leave you confused.

This one is much better than the subtle art of not giving a f*CK, just because it
Dannii Elle
This follow up release to Manson’s wonderful The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life delivered a similar sort of message but failed to hit for me, in quite the same sort of way.

I enjoyed this book less as a self-improvement guide and more for the multitude of historical characters who traversed its pages and whose stories and suffering were detailed. There is an uplifting message delivered from learning of all they had overcome, and it still made th
Christine D
May 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed through a lot of this. It seems to me like he did a lot of philosophical research, then gathered a bunch contemporary themes, threw them in a mixing bowl and voilà! sequel!
This just wasn't for me.
If you are looking for something remotely hopeful, I would recommend not picking this up. 'a book about hope' is a misnomer in my opinion.
Hestia Istiviani
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I read in English but this review is written in Bahasa Indonesia

"The fact is that we require more than willpower to achieve self-control. It turns out that our emotions are instrumental in our decision making and our actions. We just don't always realize it."

Sukses dengan buku The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, 3 tahun kemudian Mark Manson barulah melanjutkan tulisannya melalui Everything is F*cked. Buku yang sepertinya sudah ditunggu-tunggu oleh sebagian besar pembaca setianya ini lebih f
Chester
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Needlessly convoluted. Includes terms like "God value" and "emotional altverse Issac Newton". (???)

Been following Mark Manson's content in the early days and this was a huge disappointment -- this time, Mark gets lost with his thoughts with his head far too down his ass.
Thomas
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as the first, a little more broad but still asks the reader to question themselves.

Mandatory reading if you want to break your conditioning.
Alice (MTB/Alice Tied The Bookish Knot)
The follow-up to The Subtle Art (the one with the Orange cover) the mood and content is very similar to that one. Looking at Philosophy and Psychology and mainly about how we as humans get brainwashed. Some of the chapters were generally interesting, but most of the time, I did feel a little bored. Pacing is quite slow as well. Overall: disappointed.
Curtis Lowton
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
A few good parts, but mostly f*cking boring.
Ian D
A totally expected 2-star read, good enough for a total lockdown. Mark Manson (of The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck persuasion) takes us on an unorthodox journey which is supposed to be about hope, but not really. A pleasant potpourri of great minds (Nietzsche, Kant, Einstein, Kahneman), a touch of pop psychology, a smear of motivational speaking and some gratuitous shits & fucks for good measure; it's supposed to be a cool book, after all, because youth.

I rarely question the academic backgro
Beatrice
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
A condescending mansplaining stream of consciousness
Zarathustra Goertzel
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, my impression as that the further Mark deviates from dating and relationship advice, the poorer the quality becomes. I respect the effort as Mark's simple dating related advice doesn't need any additions :).

Ther book lacks a coherent thread, perhaps even more so than "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck", which was a fairly decent book.

tl;dr - probably not much to be gained over the articles on his blog. And the good sections, frankly, could just be articles.

Perhaps I'm simply n
Raoufa Ibrahim
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can feel that this book is going to be great. Imagine if you write out all your thoughts on a book and the whole world read it, this is how I feel while I am reading his books, Also I'd really love to talk to someone like Mark(same thoughts about life) on a daily basis!

*After reading review*

This book is great as I expected. The author's greatest gift is giving a new definition to something we already understand it in the opposite meaning.
description

On Greatness:
"My formula for greatness in a human be
Leah
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
(2.5/5 stars) It's not that I didn't like it - I liked it. I just didn't have very many take away's from it.

This book was less about psychological studies and more about interesting philosophies and ideas. Manson grabbed a bunch from Nietzsche and Plato. He also dug into their life and who they really were which was interesting.

It had interesting idea's about the world and where we've come and where we're going. Artificial intelligence is an exciting yet scary thing.

You can easily create your

• Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • 21 Lessons for the 21st Century
  • Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos
  • You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
  • Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
  • The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • The 5 AM Club: Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life
Mark Manson (born 1984) is a professional blogger, entrepreneur, and former dating coach. Since 2007, he's been helping people with their emotional and relationship problems. He has worked with thousands of people from over 30 different countries.

He regularly writes and updates his blog at: www.markmanson.net

Articles featuring this book

Just the titles of these books themselves will start you off on the right foot: Girl, stop apologizing! Maybe you should talk to someone? Stay...
“The problem isn’t that we don’t know how not to get punched in the face. The problem is that, at some point, likely a long time ago, we got punched in face, and instead of punching back, we decided we deserved it.” 50 likes
“Because pain is the universal constant of life, the opportunities to grow from that pain are constant in life. All that is required is that we don't numb it, that we don't look away. All that is required is that we engage it and find the value and meaning in it.” 30 likes