Start by marking “Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat: A Graphic Novel

Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat: A Graphic Novel

Collected for the first time, here are the twelve extraordinary illustrated volumes that form the graphic novel of THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. Evocative full-color paintings and an artful abridgment of the original text capture the inimitable spirit and atmosphere of this passionate, complex, and thrilling tale.
The story begins in our own time with Lestat, tall, blond, and handsom
Published November 30th 1991 by Ballantine Books (first published 1989)

Start your review of Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat: A Graphic Novel
Argona
I read this graphic novel right after reading the novel. It is a very nice companion to the book, dialogues are exactly the same as novel. Special attention has been paid to details and the general depth and impact scenes and events are supposed to have which helps to better understand and imagine the story. But I was disappointed with artwork in many pages. Don't get me wrong, there are AMAZING pages in this graphic novel, anatomies are beautifully drawn and atmosphere is perfectly conveyed but ...more
Devann
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I would have liked to give this a higher rating, this probably being my favorite book in the series, but unfortunately I think I read this at the wrong time. I thought maybe reading the graphic novel for one of my favorite books would put me in the right mind to read the newest travesty that Anne has published, but unfortunately it kind of had the opposite effect and it took me most of a month to get through this.

As with the Interview comic, this has a bizarre mix of rea
Cynthia
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Graphic novel readers, vampires
A "must" for any Anne Rice collector. Even if it does sit on the shelf after one or two readings.
Luly Ceballos
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!! It keeps all Ann Rice's original dialogues and mix it with a magnificent art work. It was a real pleasure to revisit Vampire Chronicles in this way. I suggest reading the original book first and then recreates yourself in this wonderful work of art which I know was published decades ago but still keeps it strenght and beauty. Love it! Lestat always will be a favourite for any vampire world lover. As me. ;)
Jane
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles and have been for many a year now and I love comics so when I stumbled across the graphic novel of one of my favourite stories, "The Vampire Lestat", I bought it before I had even thought on it!

I really enjoyed this because it is a story I adore told in a concise way. I did feel that the scenes jumped around abit though and there seemed to me that there was a lot of gaps to fill for anyone that had not read the actual novel of this.

I was disappoin
Anna Nesterovich
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
When I learnt there was a graphic version of Vampire Lestat, I knew it wasn't a good idea to read it. It's almost never a good idea to read a graphic novel of a book you like. What is left to the imagination in a book, here is on plain sight. When words draw complicated pictures, here everything is already drawn. A book stripped of everything, but dialogs, accompanied by someone else's imagination, rarely can be as good as a whole one.
But I couldn't resist anyway.
I didn't like the style of the p
Debbie
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've read most of Anne Rice's vampire series. They are rich in detail, thought provoking, mixing historical facts with fiction leaving the reader confused as to the difference. The characters have left a long lasting impression and fascination for me. I have an eclectic taste for these types of books and they may not translate to everyone.
Vicky
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book by Anne Rice. I love Marious.
PurplyCookie
Was I ever ecstatic when I got my copy of this hard-to-find graphic novel on Ebay that I immediately bidded on it. Good thing the seller also has a copy of "Queen of the Damned" (but that's another review) so got my hands on that as well.

Only managed to get Issue #1 of this graphic novel but it does give you a glimpse of the adaptation done by Perozich--loved that the book was reproduced in another medium. Would've liked to have Lestat looking, well, more the aristocratic brat prince that he is
Yajhaira Tellado
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the tale, it was a turn page I don't want to put down kind of book. I will scream "leave a lone" when I was in a really good part, is a most read for those who like vampire reading. Also, for me was a shame they couldn't stand up to the writing of Anne Rice when they did the movies. I'm not saying they where bad but if they would do a re do I am all for it... it's a challenge.:)
Dorie
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat:A Graphic Novel
by Faye Perozich

A good adaptation of this vampire series. It's very well done, but the quality of the artwork seems to change from frame to frame. Some are totally stunning, others look almost not finished.....
Great read, and a great adaptation of a great story!!
Jordan Tyler Quinn Farkas
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What else can I say that hasn't been said already about this masterpiece?

Lestat is my favorite make-belueve Vampire for a reason... forget about team Edward.

Team Lestat rules!
Adriana CE Marghescu
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first on Anne Rice's books that I've read was Interview With a Vampire. After that, I've read them all în a breathbeat
Vincent de Paul
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
As vampire stories go, I enjoyed Interview With a Vampire, and I was eager to read another of Anne Rice's vampire stories. As much as I enjoyed this, this is my end of my liaison with Lestat ends here; though it's a good read.

Set in the late 18th century to the late 1980s, the story follows the 200-year-long life of the vampire Lestat de Lioncourt, and his rise from humble beginnings as impoverished nobility in the countryside of the Auvergne, to the cosmopolitan city of Paris, to becoming tran
Michael
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The artwork for the graphic representation of Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat vacillates from beautiful and haunting to confused and muddled. In that regards it is much like the story itself. Lestat is a rich character and the world Rice creates is lavish and enticing. I so want to be in it in a position of power so I don't get burned, etc. I enjoyed reading this version which contains the same dialogue as the novel. The ideas of traveling the world, exploring what makes Lestat who he is, the dis ...more
Rosie Rechet
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anne Rice is the progenitor and absolute authority of literary vampire lore as far as I am concerned. She has made vampires sexy in a way that no other author has.

Her novels deal with the internal struggle between human morality and the need to kill and consume to maintain immortality.

Lestat is a loveable devil. He ponders his existence and his purpose in the savage garden like no other. If you have met him in another Rice book (interview with a vampire perhaps) you should absolutely read this b
Romeo
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
To be honest, I never actually read the graphic novel version. This little rant then would go to the original novel.

I had high expectations for "The Vampire Lestat"; "Interview with the Vampire" was a great read and a classic of gothic/romantic/horror literature so I was looking forward to more of the same. Unfortunately, the book dedicated to Rice's iconic character is truly a sore disappointment. It is tedious, plodding and boring.

It seems Rice has fallen in love with her character, she has n
Mysty Vander
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I first heard that one of my favourite Rice novels had been made into a graphic novel, I was surprised and a little concerned. How could a graphic novel leave an imprint such as the novel did? Long answer short; it didn't. However, it left an imprint nearly as deep.

The art in this graphic novel is simply breath-taking. Each stroke of the paintbrush seems to be made with such delicacy and it truly reflects the aristocracy in which Lestat is and surrounds himself with. At times the art can b
Lantz De
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The antics of a self absorbed blood sucker. Follow the Vampire Lestat beginning when he was a mere human living the life of a broke nobleman living in the 18th century. After his transformation everything immediately changed for him including his fortune. Anne Rice was the first to take Vampires into the modern age and made us think about what it be like to live life as a vampire through the eras while remaining eternally youthful? Lestat knows, as Anne Rice turns him into a bona-fide musical ce ...more
Julia
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anne Rice fans
Shelves: written-reviews
This will not be a critique of the original novel, Lestat, by Anne Rice, since I already love it. This will be a review on the interpretation.

This is a very good interpretation of the original story, and it would be a good introduction to Anne Rice - her stories are histories within histories within histories - and this adaptation is an easy way to keep the intricacies straight.

I was a bit disappointed in the depiction of Lestat. He wasn't as sinewy or pale or graceful as I see him in my mind, a
A. E. S.
Pros: This is great for any die-hard fan of Anne Rice who wants to expand their collection. Plus, anybody who collects graphic novels and loves vampires should add this. The 1980's feel adds an air of nostalgia to this 12-part miniseries. Perozich did a great job on adapting the script!

Cons: Although painstakingly painted (and what effort!), the art style bothered me. This is what slowed me down from reading it, as the only character whose design I really agreed with was Akasha and occasionally
Dustin Spencer
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am a huge Anne Rice fan, and I enjoy a good graphic novel. The novel 'The Vampire Lestat' is one of favorites in the series so when I got my hands on this I was ecstatic. I really enjoyed it, and the dialouge being the same as it is in the novel, made my heart swoon with joy. I was overjoyed to see the images of the scene with the wolves, the ones who must kept, etc. However, I found the only distraction for me was that I did not find the illustrations as gorgeous and overwhelming as I anticip ...more
Tonileg
This is a good graphic novel based on the excellent book series by Anne Rice. This was more fun then the first book, Interview With the Vampire. I bought this when it came out in the 90's and just re-read when I was going through my childhood books.
It was a bit dated, but it survived fairly well.
Good fun on a dark winter night. Nothing too naughty like in the actual book. This is fine for 14+ year olds.
3 stars
Michele Brack
Jan 04, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2016
#22 A graphic novel

I had this graphic novel sitting on the shelf for the longest time and I always ended up putting it off because I figured since I've already read the book that the graphic novel would just be a disappointment. This was the perfect opportunity to tic that book off my unread list so that I can finally turn it the right way on my shelf. (Me and my brilliant ideas to turn the books that are still unread over on their sides still haunts my OCD to this day.)

The drawings were horribl
Jaime
May 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
I was quite disappointed at this. The book is one of the best of the original series therefore I was expecting fabulous artwork. Some of the art was OK but the artist sort bailed out in some of the more erotic scenes. I think if they were not going to cover them in the same light the book did they should have been left out. I know some of the scenes are very graphic but that is a chance you take when transferring a book to the graphic novel format. It seems as if they had put the artwork of two ...more
Jen
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
It's a shame that a beautifully lush story told with the freedom of the grahic novel format was bound so carelessly. Again and again, I came across places where I couldn't read the text or view the whole illustration because the pages were bound too close to the spine. To compound the poor binding, many pages were cropped poorly. Text and images were missing from the edges of pages because they had been cut away. Anne Rice's story is depicted masterfully, but the physical book was poorly execute ...more
David Ward
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat: A Graphic Novel by Faye Perozich, Anne Rice (Original Story), John Bolton (Illustrator), Daerick Gröss (Illustrator) (Ballantine books 1991)(Fiction). This is a truly inspired rendering of Anne Rice's horror classic The Vampire Lestat as a graphic novel. The artwork, though uneven at times, comes very close to capturing the spirit of Rice's creation. This is a must-read for fans of the author, and it may tap into a new generation of fans. My rating: 7.5/10, finish ...more
Nerissa
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my alltime favorite books. A vampire tale on the surface, but an intropective look at life, love, salvation, betrayal, redemption and the catholic religion (the Author's religous upbringing), in a vampire tale. The themes throughout her novels remain the same. If you want to read this, you should read "Interview with a Vampire" first. Most of Anne Rice's work deal with the above and religion. I LOVE most of her books!!!
Sammi McSporran
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Borrowed this book from a friend to read on holiday a couple of years ago, and have since bought it myself. This is a beautifully illustrated retelling of The Vampire Lestat, that brings the characters to life in stunning and colourful detail. The graphic novel is very true to the original story, with many of the best moments preserved in their entirety.
A great companion to the original novel for any Anne Rice fan!
Chris
It is a very long time since I read Anne Rice's original literary work of this title, and I found this graphic media format to be a welcome rendition with its dedication to a faithful of the dialogue and context. The additional visual images were of great assistance to a reader like myself, facilitating a better picture of the novel. But I was disappointed by the artwork as a whole and found it lacking compared to other rich graphic novels the I have read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Stand: Captain Trips
  • The Green Mile: The Screenplay
  • Pandora (New Tales of the Vampires, #1)
  • The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, #3)
  • Selections from Skeleton Crew
  • Misery
  • Pandora / Vittorio the Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires)
  • The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)
  • The Art and Making of Hannibal: The Television Series
  • Servant of the Bones
  • The Vampire Companion
  • Stephen King The Stand: Captain Trips #1 (of 5)
  • Servant of the Bones and The Feast of All Saints
  • The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1)
  • Memnoch the Devil (The Vampire Chronicles, #5)
  • Carrie / 'Salem's Lot / The Shining

News & Interviews

“—¿Acaso no sería mejor el mundo si nunca más se quemara a nadie en el nombre de Dios? —pregunté—. ¿Si no se continuara creyendo que Dios puede ordenar al hombre hacer tal cosa a su semejante? ¿Cuál es el peligro de un mundo racional donde horrores como éste no se produzcan?” 1 likes