Start by marking “Sovereign” as Want to Read:
Sovereign

Sovereign

Micah Cole has been in deep space for four years now. While his parents chase their obsession with finding intelligent life deeper and deeper into the universe, Micah can’t help but dream of the friends he’s left behind and counts the days until the family returns to Earth. When a devastating meteor shower nearly destroys the Coles’s ship, Micah is separated from his famil ...more
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 7 pages
Published January 31st 2019 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Sovereign, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Juliet Lindquist
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Sovereign
J.L.   Sutton
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Jeff Hirsch's Sovereign begins with a meteor storm that separates young Micah from his parents. He makes it into an escape pod that leaves him stranded on an alien world where he must learn about the strange flora and fauna in order to survive. I liked how Micah faced the challenges of this new world, but even in an alien and visually interesting landscape, his ingenuity/determination was not tested as much as I would have liked. This is especially apparent in how the story concludes. Sovereign ...more
Roxanne
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Johanna
Feb 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I got a little over halfway through this before stopping. It was a free Audible original this month, I love a good space story, and I thought it'd be fun. Of course I'm not the target market for this book, but I've read as an adult many YA and children's chapter books, and this one just isn't good. The narration is quite bad - he reads like he's trying to pass an enunciation test and it was hard to believe this was a young kid as a result. The plot was a pretty unoriginal, boring survival plot. ...more
Danielle Cintron
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
I feel like Lighting should have won.
Ami
I snagged this as a free Audible Original because it seemed something that my kids & I would enjoy listening to. The "Hatchet" blurb clinched it because my oldest son is a huge fan.

None of us particularly enjoyed this. The only resemblance it had to "Hatchet" was the accident and the kid having to survive on his own. And let me tell you, this kid was stupid AF as well as immature and selfish. One ridiculous idiotic decision after another that just kept making his life harder. My kids made dispar
seak
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, audio
This was a fun listen with my son. We started it on our way up the mountain to go to his ski lessons (free through the school, thank you very much), but it's taken us months later to actually finish.

I had no clue he was even paying attention until we were on the way down the mountain on our second trip, so hours into the audiobook now, and he asked a question about one of the events that happened. I thought he was just sleeping, hah.

Anyway, it was a fun book and good for his age of 8 years. It'
Kerry
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Really slow start. It had a lot of potential but there was so much lead up and not enough pay off.
Shaina
Mar 01, 2019 marked it as review-of-the-year
Dnf... Not rating.. It wasn't the story. The narrator didn't work for us. Probably minority in opinion, but it sounded weird. He was way over enunciating things. It didn't sound natural.
Thomas
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's an alright little story for what it's worth

I'm not sure what the lesson is here. There's no place like home? Home is where the heart is? Get out and explore? Anyway, a kid has adventures while marooned on an alien planet and discovers he's not alone. His parents must've really cheaped out on the safety equipment for their little expedition. I sure wouldn't travel out across the galaxy with such a rickety ship. Also, I find it interesting that in a future world where they have interstellar t
Soo
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, audiobook
Mini-Review:

A rather meandering story that doesn't really establish a setting or plot enough to make the story interesting. It basically ends when it gets a little interesting. I wouldn't call this a YA because it comes across as middle school range.
ShoSho
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, audio, x-2019, sci-fi
creepy but interesting!
Dawn C
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media-audible
Huh. This story, once it got going, works on more than one level. I’m convinced there’s a much sadder story in there than the surface one. If that’s true, it makes it a much better one.
Melanie
Mar 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF @ chapter 10, 2h 40 mins in.

I tried. I swear I tried. But the book kept going on and on and nothing of interest happened. The main character just kept having flashbacks to his life before going into space with his parents and I mean, sure, we get to learn about him more, but when he returns to the present, nothing happens. This was so boring! I mean, yea it was free on audible, but I was at least expecting it to be somehow entertaining.
Marshall Wayne Lee
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
_Sovereign_ by Jeff Hirsch receives 4 stars from me: the story is compelling, interesting, and vivid.

First, I should mention that this was an audible recording, and was read by Jesse Einstein. He voice suggest, he's a teen. The voice is a good match and his reading skills are excellent. I found his reading enjoyable.

Now, the book.

This book is for middle grade readers and it fits the target well. Hirsch creates a earth like world that is only similar. By making it similar, it limited the amount
James Tomasino
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish it. It was really weak.
Jim Lay
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
An entertaining middle grade story and worth a listen.
Natasha
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is far from my normal fair, but it was free from Audible. So I had nothing to loose. Let’s get one thing straight right up front. I HATE space operas. I mean like grow the book at the wall and it;’s a digital book hate. This book starts out feeling like it might be a space opera, but then it quickly changes into a story of survival. It;s an adventure story of sole survival. Enjoyable adventure with a great character. But...

It ends so abruptly and could have been so much more. I felt like ha
Marie
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Teenager goes caveman in outer space.

Micah Cole is traveling the universe with his explorer parents. They get hit by a meteor shower and Micah is sent in a life pod to the neareast planet, which is suitable to human life. During his exile he meets death several times (but escapes, obviously), thinks back on his life on Earth with his friends and his time on board the space ship with his parents.

My low rating of this book, is because I'm dissatisfied with the way the author builds up the tension
Amanda Hyre
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Rebecca
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a neat and original space adventure! Clean and family friendly, but some very intense, even scary, moments on a strange planet with strange creatures. Kind of felt like a bit of Ender's Game mixed with The Hatchet. A lost boy surviving alone on a strange planet and making discoveries about his surroundings and himself. The narrator was great too, very crisp words and slight variations for each character.
Kristin
A book about the adventure of a middle grade boy on an unexplored planet. Interesting, but the book takes a turn that confuses the reader about 2/3 of the way through. The ending is satisfying, however.
C.L. Cannon
This Audible Original was just okay. The narration was well-done, but the story wasn't compelling enough to keep me entertained, and I found myself checking to see how much time was left before the end.
Tiffany
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was free on audible. It was a predictable and cliche story but not bad. I wish there had been more time spent on the exploration story than on the flashbacks to earth. It was a good distraction during spring cleaning.
Adam King
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Some random audiobook that Audible gave me for free. So glaringly meh. The most played out “new world” storyline with a whiney main character who spends his whole time dreaming back to his super white and privileged childhood summers with annoying friends.
Katie Koloske
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF at 61%~

Just wasn't feeling this one...didn't even like the main character. So I'm skipping to another book~
Chris
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I got this book as an audible original so it was free to read. Having said that it was obvious why this book was free to read. The entire story was boring and lacked creativity. The author somehow managed to make being stranded on an Alien World completely boring and uninteresting. The new world was basically Earth 2.0. It had the same animals and plants for the most part, and lacked detail that you usually find in good sci-fi books. One of the aspects of Sci-Fi that makes it good is the factual ...more
Randy
Feb 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Really, I was severely disappointed by this book. Not going to lie, I could only get 1/3 of the way through before I had to put it away, never to return. The protagonist was a middle school child who was not in the least bit likable; a selfish brat put in bad circumstances and who showed no real talent for survival much less empathy or forethought. Unfortunately the book was written as if it was an eighth grade student writing it with vague and bland descriptions that didn't build a visual repre ...more
Idamus
Feb 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
YA is not really my thing, but it was an Audible freebie, so I tried since I love sci-fi. It’s boring.
TrixieB
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
How many books do we need about poor angry boys who are so angry yet so sad about the all the things?? I get you're trying to add emotional depth here, but really the kid is a selfish whiny jerk. There's no suspense to what he experiences on the planet. He's just in his feels about everything and ... it doesn't matter. Blech.

Merged review:

Blech.

Angry boy goes into space. Because PARENTS, amiright? Selfish MOM who just has to try to do science instead of centring her existence on the vagaries of
Lucky Bradley
When they say young adult, they really mean it.

The story and characters aren't bad. I am not going to complain about realism, or the situations as this book in the end wasn't written for me. In fact I think I would have given it a lot higher score even though I didn't like it except for one thing.

I felt that the main character was written with too young and sheltered of a viewpoint. Kids at that age are quite capable of making necessary decisions if they have been trained like he was. I felt lik

• Junk
  • Wishes and Wellingtons
  • Killer by Nature
  • Zero G (The Zero Chronicles, #1)
  • Black Crow, White Snow
  • Riley Mack and the Other Known Troublemakers
  • A Mind of Her Own
  • The Dispatcher
  • More Bedtime Stories for Cynics (Bedtime Stories for Cynics, #2)
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • The Darkwater Bride
  • Jukebox Joyride
  • Dodge & Twist: A Sequel To Oliver Twist
  • The Spies That Bind (Gallagher Girls, #0.5)
  • The Demon Next Door
  • The Mystery of Alice
  • Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic
  • Interview with the Robot
Here are some things about me.

I live in an extremely Brazilian section of an extremely Greek neighborhood—Astoria, Queens, which is just to the right of Manhattan. (That's as you face Manhattan. If you were, say, lying on your back in the middle of Central Park with your head in a northerly position, we would be to your left) I live there with my wife who has a blog and our two cats who do not. O

News & Interviews